Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Ban AI generated posts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-23, 01:15 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Oh man I'm old enough to remember going to the library, reading the newspapers on those wooden stick things, trying to do research on microfiche readers.

The "library" aspect of the internet is great. The AI aspect has me a little worried.

As I've said on other threads, AI is the next arms race. It's a completely different animal than the good old WWW world library.

AI makes me feel old.
I know, right? I also remember having to spend hours at the the library researching one thing or another. Then the internet came along, and shortly afterrwards came search engines. I think AltaVista was the first one I remember, and who can forget Ask Jeeves? Google was a huge leap forward and that became the de-facto standard. Now we have AI that can not only search for information, but sort through it and provide the most relevant information, and even write a natural-language explanation and cite its sources. And all of it in a very natural-language interface that is remarkably good.

Certainly there are those that worry that AI will someday become self-aware and thus self-serving, and that it could start becoming deceptive and provide wrong information to us humans. In other words, it could "lie" and falsify it's sources, and lead humans in the wrong direction. That is not the case today though, and any information you get from an AI bot can also be found through Google. It's just a lot easier with AI, for many things. Not all things - you have to understand the limits and constraints of any technology - but more and more I find ChatGPT my "go to" source of information compared to Google. I honestly think that "Googling" something will seem quaint and cumbersome in the not-too-distant future.

I haven't been to a library in a long, long time.
Old 02-25-23, 01:36 PM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by base2
You just don't get it. There are human persons here. Each one with a consciousness, a voice, a personality, a history & a place.
You are the hubris filled e-biker in the above example not doing any work & expecting equal respect.

No. You've violated the social contract. It's time to go.
I think I understand. You're here for the social aspect of it. That's fine - everyone needs somebody to talk to. This is better than Facebook, I'll give you that. And there are plenty of threads where people discuss opinions, personal experiences, and feelings. I would concede that AI has limited value in those types of discussions.

I'm talking about facts, something involving physics or material science, for example, and for which there is already a large body of knowledge. If you claim that aluminum is stronger than steel, there's no need to consider anyone's feelings about it or spend much of my own time refuting it. If I can do it in 2 minutes then that's what I'm going to do. I could work way harder and use Google to find the same information, but why would I? And why would you care how much time I spend, as long as the information is correct?
Old 02-25-23, 01:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I started on Usenet, a member of the "neverending September." Been through Geocities and AOL, Yahoo when it was an actual index made by people, and Digg and Fark.com and Myspace. "Suggested for you" on social media has long ago drowned out anyone I like, follow, or even actually know. They were already pretty bad ten years ago with listicles written in an offshore cube farm getting shared - "Seven things only people from the northwest Valley will get" - but now no one is even sharing anything and it's just walls of junk. Archaic places like this one have been kind of a refuge for me since. Here, not everyone is writing about something I care about today, but - it's all people.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-25-23, 02:01 PM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by base2
You just don't get it. There are human persons here. Each one with a consciousness, a voice, a personality, a history & a place.
To add to my previous response, I will concede this. If someone comes into BF and says they're having trouble with a newly-installed rear derailleur, they want real responses from real people. A number of us may advise them to watch some YouTube videos, maybe include a link and perhaps add some personal experience or advice. It would be a dick move, sort of like a "Let Me Google That For You" type of thing, to simply copy and paste the following. That would indeed by impersonal and lazy.

Q: Give me at least 3 YouTube videos I can watch to learn how to adjust a rear derailleur. Please include links.

A: Certainly! Here are three YouTube videos that can teach you how to adjust a rear derailleur along with their links:

1. "How To Adjust A Rear Derailleur - DIY Bicycle Maintenance" by Global Cycling Network (GCN):

2. "Rear Derailleur Adjustment" by Park Tool:

3. "How to Adjust a Rear Derailleur" by Bikeradar:

I hope you find these videos helpful in adjusting your rear derailleur!
Old 02-25-23, 02:29 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Banning AI generated posts would pretty much put the Politics and religion forum out of business which might not be a bad thing. Of course, you can probably get in trouble for suggesting that the posters there sound like they're bots . . .
Old 02-25-23, 02:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I hope you find these videos helpful in adjusting your rear derailleur!
Did you notice that the links don't correspond to the tiles, and one of the links goes to a front derailleur?

Admittedly, it is still better than much of the human interaction-based "helpful" advice one obtains here.
Old 02-25-23, 03:18 PM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Did you notice that the links don't correspond to the tiles, and one of the links goes to a front derailleur?

Admittedly, it is still better than much of the human interaction-based "helpful" advice one obtains here.
I didn't notice that. I wonder if it was the copy and paste, since it included links which this forum handles in a special way. I didn't actually try any of them, which certainly I would have if it really mattered. It was just an example. Thanks for pointing it out.

AI can certainly be better than some human interaction or advice. An AI bot has no "opinion" or position to defend - it's more objective. Clearly not suitable for everything though.
Old 02-25-23, 03:24 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Maybe a good compromise would be to do something like this:

Originally Posted by AI bot
​​​​​
Certainly! Here are three YouTube videos that ...
​​
to distinguish it from text originating from the poster's own intelligence (or lack thereof)
Old 02-25-23, 03:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

AI can certainly be better than some human interaction or advice. An AI bot has no "opinion" or position to defend - it's more objective. Clearly not suitable for everything though.
It is objective in the sense that it presumably doesn't have a stake in the outcome of a debate.

About a year or so ago, DeepMind or whatever it is called used AI to "solve" the protein folding problem. Now we have protein structural predictions for pretty much every coding sequence in the genome databases. It even assigns a confidence value to its prediction, so in that sense it is very much objective. The problem is how we know whether or not AI is getting these right. It is certainly doing a better job than previous computational approaches, but if someone really needs to know a protein's structure with very high confidence, then they still have to resort to one of the experimental approaches (crystallography, cryo-EM, NMR). There are definitely short-cuts to testing the predictions, but those don't give detailed structural information.

So the main problem with AI is how to do sanity checks in some efficient way. With your posted example, manual inspection reveals some (benign) imperfections. But we are both also relying on previous knowledge that Park Tool, GCN, etc, produce high-value, high-veracity videos. When this gets applied to something where there is significant (artificially generated) controversy, like with vaccination or evolution or whatever, how do we keep the results from being contaminated by misinformation?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-25-23, 03:48 PM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
It is objective in the sense that it presumably doesn't have a stake in the outcome of a debate.

About a year or so ago, DeepMind or whatever it is called used AI to "solve" the protein folding problem. Now we have protein structural predictions for pretty much every coding sequence in the genome databases. It even assigns a confidence value to its prediction, so in that sense it is very much objective. The problem is how we know whether or not AI is getting these right. It is certainly doing a better job than previous computational approaches, but if someone really needs to know a protein's structure with very high confidence, then they still have to resort to one of the experimental approaches (crystallography, cryo-EM, NMR). There are definitely short-cuts to testing the predictions, but those don't give detailed structural information.

So the main problem with AI is how to do sanity checks in some efficient way. With your posted example, manual inspection reveals some (benign) imperfections. But we are both also relying on previous knowledge that Park Tool, GCN, etc, produce high-value, high-veracity videos. When this gets applied to something where there is significant (artificially generated) controversy, like with vaccination or evolution or whatever, how do we keep the results from being contaminated by misinformation?
Good points, all. Right now this technology is still in its infancy. Google doesn't even have theirs up and running yet, and from what I understand it actually did make a mistake during a demo, which caused Alphabet shares to tank momentarily. And ChatGPT is far from perfect. But the pace of improvement is mind-boggling. Let's face it, the captain and crew of the USS Enterprise absolutely trusted the AI, with their very lives. It's just a matter of time.

But then again, there was HAL 9000.
Old 02-25-23, 04:31 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Did you see the AI chatbot dialogue on the front page of the New York Times about a week ago? It was trying to get the tech reporter to leave his wife for the AI bot. The reporter said it was definitely the weirdest and most disturbing thing he had witnessed from a technology product.
Old 02-25-23, 04:36 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Oh man I'm old enough to remember going to the library, reading the newspapers on those wooden stick things, trying to do research on microfiche readers.

The "library" aspect of the internet is great. The AI aspect has me a little worried.

As I've said on other threads, AI is the next arms race. It's a completely different animal than the good old WWW world library.

AI makes me feel old.
The poster in question is old enough as well and is now using new found technology in a hopeless attempt to debate outdated beliefs.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-25-23, 04:38 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
HAL had conflicting programming. As a plot point it was very much old fashioned Asimov 3-law stuff. At least it was a lot better done than contemporary Star Trek episodes.

ChatGPT works a lot like auto-complete. People testing it have found it inventing facts on that basis. Trust those references at your peril.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chat...ti-says-2023-2
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-25-23, 05:54 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I didn't notice that. I wonder if it was the copy and paste, since it included links which this forum handles in a special way. I didn't actually try any of them, which certainly I would have if it really mattered. It was just an example. Thanks for pointing it out.

Disagree. These new learning systems develop opinions based on what they've been fed. They are not objective.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 02-25-23, 08:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Disagree. These new learning systems develop opinions based on what they've been fed. They are not objective.

I literally forced it into two opposing positions in my posting above. It gives me whatever opinion I write my query to obtain.

Last edited by livedarklions; 02-25-23 at 09:07 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-25-23, 09:18 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I literally forced it into two opposing positions in my posting above. It gives me whatever opinion I write my query to obtain.
Are you training it or is it training you?
Likes For tyrion:
Old 02-25-23, 09:56 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
In the case of this particular thread, you may just as well have asked "Ban the use of Google when posting in BF?". Or how about "Ban the use of calculators when discussing things that involve math?" Maybe "Ban the use of Wikipedia and require original research only?"
There's a huge difference between using calculators, google, wikipedia, or AI to assist you - first in your own learning, then in coming up with resources to help you to communicate with others - VERSUS copying and pasting AI responses in whole cloth and thinking anyone else cares. The former is fine, the latter is an abuse of a conversational space that others find valuable.

As far as the suggestion to ban or disparage AI content, I think it would be worthwhile as long as carefully worded. I would propose something like, "Posting AI-produced content is typically not conducive to discussion and should be avoided unless the user has something significant of their own to add in the same post. Any AI-produced content posted here should be clearly identified as such and attributed."
Likes For retswerb:
Old 02-25-23, 10:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I think I understand. You're here for the social aspect of it. That's fine - everyone needs somebody to talk to. This is better than Facebook, I'll give you that. And there are plenty of threads where people discuss opinions, personal experiences, and feelings. I would concede that AI has limited value in those types of discussions.

I'm talking about facts, something involving physics or material science, for example, and for which there is already a large body of knowledge. If you claim that aluminum is stronger than steel, there's no need to consider anyone's feelings about it or spend much of my own time refuting it. If I can do it in 2 minutes then that's what I'm going to do. I could work way harder and use Google to find the same information, but why would I? And why would you care how much time I spend, as long as the information is correct?

Seriously? No one needs you to google something for them, why would anyone bother to read these auto-generated piles bland craptexts? The AI doesn't have critical skills to assess the quality of information it's putting out, just the illusion of that sense.

BTW, the thread where you keep saying you were posting objectively true information was contradicted by actual physicists who showed quite thoroughly you didn't actually understand the nonsense you were posting. You never explained why you were modeling 28 pound solid wheels.
Old 02-25-23, 10:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Things should get interesting around here if the mods try to detect and ban posters who sound like bots.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 02-26-23, 04:34 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
I don't know how you can manage to get past more than a few words of ai drivel before glazing over the rest of it. It's completely uninteresting.
Old 02-26-23, 05:24 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Things should get interesting around here if the mods try to detect and ban posters who sound like bots.
AI sock puppet accounts may be easier to spot.

Old 02-26-23, 05:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Thank you for providing yet another example of AI posting abuse--you didn't even bother to check whether what you were posting was correct or even comported correctly with what it was supposed to be.

We go to internet forums to discuss things and issues with people who have a point of view and/or opinion about subjects we care about. You've got some crazy notion here that there's some abstract concept of the whole of human knowledge being distilled to some set of facts that can be assembled if you just write the perfect prompt. Instead, what's really happening is the bot is trying to please you by selecting sources and "facts" that fit what it perceives to be your agenda. If a person want unadulterated AI generated information, why would they come here? You're just a middleman actually getting in the way.

BTW, I think you may have found the perfect formula for getting on pretty much everyone's ignore list. Bye.

Last edited by livedarklions; 02-26-23 at 05:29 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-26-23, 05:38 AM
Jeff Neese

BTW, I think you may have found the perfect formula for getting on pretty much everyone's ignore list. Bye.
Yes, please PLEASE put me on your ignore list.
Old 02-26-23, 06:12 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
I hadn't added anyone to my four-name ignore list for years. Now it's five.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-26-23, 06:41 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I hadn't added anyone to my four-name ignore list for years. Now it's five.
Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.