Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

'69 Bottecchia upgrades & tubeless conversion

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-23, 06:31 PM
somebikeguy 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 62 Posts

Hi all

About 7 years back a kind neighbor gave me his no longer used Bottecchia, which had been rattle-can resprayed. I had it powdercoated hammertone blue, cleaned it up and have ridden happily for many years. I have never owned a new bike until this year when I found riding my Cotic FlareMax 29er to be a revelation. I was particularly impressed by the tubeless tires and decided to make a tubeless conversion part of the work I'm doing to the Bottecchia. I knew I wanted it to look and feel 'period' so I sourced some very nice Brevet 700c rims from Pacenti, hubs from Velo orange. I'm now debating what width tires to run. I ride for fun not for competition and while my routes don't include gravel or offroad I am a believer in the wide tire revolution. I opened the brakes up, measured the clearances all around and can see no reason that 30-32mm tires will cause any issue. Besides the minuscule weight penalty (don't care, steel bike) I am struggling to see why I shouldn't go big. I understand the benefits of tubeless increase with tire size and I am all for the comfort. I'm looking for opinions and experience from you all. I think I am new enough here that I can't yet post pictures so perhaps I'll go on in text for a few more then add images.
Old 03-30-23, 06:33 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Pic Assist - Picture by 502098 | 28564348 | (bikeforums.net)

Old 03-30-23, 06:35 PM
somebikeguy 

Woah magic thank you! I thought I was blocked from posting that pic on the bikes/water thread... unclear what my status is vis a vis pics
Old 03-30-23, 06:39 PM
somebikeguy 

hmm still getting "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites and photos after you have made 10 posts or more." I suppose somehow posting images involves a URL somehow? I swear I've posted images in the past not sure what I'm going wrong
Old 03-30-23, 06:49 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
It's an anti spam system that was installed years ago. New forum members are limited to 5 posts per day until they get to 10 posts. No posting of links or pics (which are URL's) until after 10 posts.

When you tried to post your pics it put them in your Gallery folder. That is where I found them.

Old 03-30-23, 09:55 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Purdy bike!

I wouldn't run tubeless on period-correct rims though. Would you be ok with a modern, tubeless-compatible rim that looks period-correct?
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 03-31-23, 06:52 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 1,580 Times in 732 Posts
Nice rims!
Heck yes, go with 32mm tubeless. My 32mm Conti GP5000 measure 30mm on a rim w 19mm internal size.
Old 03-31-23, 07:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
There is 0 benefit in going narrower than 32mm for tubeless, if that fits.
There is actually a good bit of benefit in staying at 32mm and it's the fact that if you go too high on psi, road tubeless can blow off the rim. Wider tire = less psi.
Old 03-31-23, 07:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Purdy bike!

I wouldn't run tubeless on period-correct rims though. Would you be ok with a modern, tubeless-compatible rim that looks period-correct?
the rims the OP has aren't from 60 years ago. They are modern tubeless rims that just have a depth and shape similar to older rims.
Old 04-01-23, 06:44 AM
somebikeguy 

Checking to see if I'm able to post pics yet.... some images of the clearance I have.

Old 04-01-23, 06:48 AM
somebikeguy 

Correct, I am using Pacenti Brevet Rims, 32h front and 36h rear (which is back ordered)
https://pacenticycledesign.com/colle...revet-rim-700c

Along with Velo Orange hubs

After some hand wringing and looking at the existing wheels I decided to lace the front 2-cross and ordered DP Swiss double butted spokes and 12mm brass nipples. Excited for my first time building a wheel.

Here is a photo of the 126mm hub spreading the 120mm frame (no problem) along with the rebuilt Nuovo Record Rear (thank you again VO for the jockey wheels)

Likes For somebikeguy:
Old 04-01-23, 06:56 AM
somebikeguy 

Many years back I replaced the ball bearings on the old (no mfgr visible) steel threaded ISO headset. The chroming on the locknuts is meh and I would enjoy a replacement. Campy Record is available new: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...t/rp-prod47049 but the stack height is a bit much - I am measuring 35mm and campy lists 40. Besides that I see mostly low-qual looking generic options. Does anyone have a tip for where I might look for an ISO threaded steel low-stack headset?

Old 04-01-23, 07:12 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
You might have a problem with getting wider tires past the brakes when fully inflated. Not problem at home, but if you're fixing a flat on the road, be sure you remount your wheel before using your last CO2 cartridge. I know this.
Likes For bblair:
Old 04-03-23, 08:48 AM
somebikeguy 

Re headset: I found a NOS Stronglite A9, ISO. If I am reading the specs correctly every single dimension on the headtube/fork is the same from Italian to ISO except the threads are cut 55deg (as opposed to standard 60deg I presume) and the ID of the crown race is off by .1mm. This leaves 3 options:

1. reducing the diameter of the fork
2. enlarging the ID of the Stronglite's race
3. re-using the existing race.

I do have a lathe and could likely attempt #2. I would need to test fit to determine if #3 works with the stronglite's bearings. Curious to hear from anyone who has attempted same.

Does anyone know if friction shifter bosses are universal or Country / Manufacturer specific? ie: can I replace the Campy friction shifters with (other) such as Dia Compe while reusing the clamp-on boss?

Last edited by somebikeguy; 04-03-23 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-03-23, 05:00 PM
somebikeguy 

Freewheel arrived. If you are wondering "will a Nouvo Record handle 13-28t" the answer is: yes. However I did just learn of this very cool "Rally" style cage mod that will let you run up to 32t:
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/som...=974#attr=2270

Old 04-03-23, 05:17 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Read up on the + and - of road tubeless. I think the jury's still out on whether it's worth it for smaller tires compared to mountain and gravel/cross type tires.
Old 04-04-23, 07:04 AM
somebikeguy 

Yep did the reading, happy to be part of the hung jury.

If anyone has a tubeless valve they like, let me know. Preferably silver to stay with my period-appropriate look. After reading a number of threads I'm going to give Orange Seal Endurance a try. As a reminder I am going to be on 30mm Conti 5000's.
Old 04-05-23, 12:22 PM
ntn007us

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
That is a super interesting powder coat color and finish! Very nice.

Just curious, would the finish allow for decal installation?
Old 04-05-23, 01:21 PM
somebikeguy 

thanks! They call it a ‘vein’ or ‘river’ powder. I call it hammertone. Comes from mixing two powders with slightly different chemestry. It is veeery slightly three dimensional but decals would be no problem. It was a while ago and I cant recall if I had clear put on top as well.

Originally Posted by ntn007us
That is a super interesting powder coat color and finish! Very nice.

Just curious, would the finish allow for decal installation?
Old 04-05-23, 01:37 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
There is 0 benefit in going narrower than 32mm for tubeless, if that fits.
There is actually a good bit of benefit in staying at 32mm and it's the fact that if you go too high on psi, road tubeless can blow off the rim. Wider tire = less psi.
I disagree with this. There is plenty of benefit from 25 or 28 mm tubeless tires

Originally Posted by Camilo
Read up on the + and - of road tubeless. I think the jury's still out on whether it's worth it for smaller tires compared to mountain and gravel/cross type tires.
Road tubeless has been out for almost 20 years - why the jury is still out is more fear of the unknown and the slightly different learning curve.

Originally Posted by somebikeguy
Yep did the reading, happy to be part of the hung jury.

If anyone has a tubeless valve they like, let me know. Preferably silver to stay with my period-appropriate look. After reading a number of threads I'm going to give Orange Seal Endurance a try. As a reminder I am going to be on 30mm Conti 5000's.
For tubeless valves, you might check with Pacenti first to see which ones they recommend. Different rim extrusions in the well sometimes match up with a specific valve. I like the DT Swiss type that have a square rubber grommet on the inside. Tubeless Conti 5000's I would imagine would be great. I have used Hutchinson and Panaracer tubeless 25mm tires and both are great. Never had a flat yet. I use Effetto Mariposa sealant and like it. I use a pressure cannister to mount the tires the first time. How you tape the tubeless rims can be a bit of a learning curve and my experience has been that slow leaks have been from a below standard tape job. This is fixable though.

To me, classic and vintage bikes are a great match for tubeless tires. Why more classic and vintage folks aren't exploring this is maybe about resistance to change.
Old 04-05-23, 02:05 PM
somebikeguy 

I bought tape from Pacenti but they only offer black valves and I held out for silver.

https://pacenticycledesign.com/produ...air-40mm-alloy

can you elaborate on the challenges of taping ?

For tubeless valves, you might check with Pacenti first to see which ones they recommend. Different rim extrusions in the well sometimes match up with a specific valve. I like the DT Swiss type that have a square rubber grommet on the inside. Tubeless Conti 5000's I would imagine would be great. I have used Hutchinson and Panaracer tubeless 25mm tires and both are great. Never had a flat yet. I use Effetto Mariposa sealant and like it. I use a pressure cannister to mount the tires the first time. How you tape the tubeless rims can be a bit of a learning curve and my experience has been that slow leaks have been from a below standard tape job. This is fixable though.
Old 04-05-23, 03:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by masi61
I disagree with this. There is plenty of benefit from 25 or 28 mm tubeless tires
I don't disagree that there is benefit in 25mm and 28mm tubeless tires.
But if a frame fits 32mm tires, those in tubeless are proven to be less hassle and less prone to psi/rider weight issues.
Old 04-05-23, 04:05 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I don't disagree that there is benefit in 25mm and 28mm tubeless tires. But if a frame fits 32mm tires, those in tubeless are proven to be less hassle and less prone to psi/rider weight issues.
Oh, gotcha ! By all means if you can fit 32 mm tubeless in there I agree this would be preferable to a smaller road tubeless tire. I guess I was just wanting to put out there that on my (1990's era) road bikes with limited tire clearance, I am loving the benefits of the 25mm tubeless tires I have tried so far. Much less punishing ride, better cornering not to mention the normal #1 claimed benefit of flat prevention.
Old 04-05-23, 06:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,895 Times in 6,093 Posts
the rims the OP has aren't from 60 years ago. They are modern tubeless rims that just have a depth and shape similar to older rims.
Interesting!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-05-23, 06:38 PM
somebikeguy 

Laced up the front two cross. My first time. Spokes are all very loose, zero tension.

Likes For somebikeguy:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.