Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Change low gearing as the season progresses?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-23, 10:14 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts

Does anyone change from easier to tougher gearing as you become more fit?

Accidentally found out that it is not as difficult to push higher gears when I switched bikes from a very low geared bike to my other. If I kept riding my lower geared bike where I am tempted to use the lowest gears on steep climbs (14%+) don’t see that I am doing myself any favors except on very long climbs. Anyone else change gear sets during the season?

Old 05-29-23, 10:22 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Multiple bikes = multiple choices

Double cranksets, compact doubles, touring doubles, triples, mtn triples.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-29-23 at 10:29 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 05-29-23, 11:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I change the cassette and rings sometimes when I take my bike to Colorado where a climb might be 10 miles or more long. Not quite the same as at home where a climb of more than half a mile is a long climb.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-29-23, 11:26 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I tend not to. My bikes are geared toward the type of riding I expect to do when I'll be riding them most.

Whether I'll be in good enough condition before then is not always a sure thing, though. My "go-fast" road bike has a 42/21 low gear, based on the assumption that I'll be light and strong by the time I take it off the hook.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-29-23, 12:21 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Haven't gotten back in shape yet, but first I plan on tackling steeper and longer climbs, then maybe ditching the granny ring.

Seriously though, if you find yourself not using a particular ratio at all, it's useless and could be eliminated if you want to.
Old 05-29-23, 01:47 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I've never been upset while climbing knowing I have one more gear.
Likes For Canker:
Old 05-29-23, 04:09 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

Accidentally found out that it is not as difficult to push higher gears when I switched bikes from a very low geared bike to my other. If I kept riding my lower geared bike where I am tempted to use the lowest gears on steep climbs (14%+) don’t see that I am doing myself any favors except on very long climbs. Anyone else change gear sets during the season?
Do you actually think that using lower gears on a steep climb makes a difference in fitness? I mean, if it takes you the same amount of time to get up a given time whether you're pushing a lower gear or spinning a higher gear, it's the same fitness, no?

But I'm not a good one to discuss this, because the only reasons I ride is for fun, and to keep fit. I'm not looking to get stronger in the sense of being able to push higher gears, if that makes any sense. I have no shame in using low gears.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-29-23, 04:33 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 440 Posts
I haven't gotten fit enough to do that yet.

But if I can get fit enough to ride the Regina Oro 14-22 that I bought for the looks, up off the valley floor, I will indeed consider it an accomplishment!
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 05-29-23, 04:37 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
It is not about "forcing fitness" or any of that, to me. After all, if I wanted to ride to hurt myself I could just crash ...

But seriously, if you don't like the lower cogs, don't use them. You aren't "doing yourself any favors" if you don't push yourself .... and if you lack the discipline to push the higher gears when you have lower gears, then mental toughness, not watts per kilogram, is what needs building. ( )

Just go get yourself a heavy steel bike with heavy steel wheels, put on racks and panniers, and fill the panniers with sand bags. No need to mess with the cassette.

Actually, I adjust seat and bars sometimes as I go from not having ridden for a while to riding more. The more aero posture to which I aspire is not sustainable at the start of a comeback, and forcing myself just hurts, which makes me want to ride less, so I adjust the cockpit as needed to be able to do the ride I want and feel okay at the finish .... or I just ride a more relaxed-geometry bike.

Even more seriously, i see no reason Not to adjust your gearing to your situation, whether it be fitness, health, terrain, whatever. A cassette comes on or off very quickly, and if you are using nine out of eleven cogs, why not swap in cogs yo will actually use? i don't do it ... but I also don't ride my 11-28 bike until I have done all the climbs enough on one of my 11-32 cassette bikes and know I don't need the granny ......
Old 05-29-23, 05:17 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Do you actually think that using lower gears on a steep climb makes a difference in fitness? I mean, if it takes you the same amount of time to get up a given time whether you're pushing a lower gear or spinning a higher gear, it's the same fitness, no?

But I'm not a good one to discuss this, because the only reasons I ride is for fun, and to keep fit. I'm not looking to get stronger in the sense of being able to push higher gears, if that makes any sense. I have no shame in using low gears.
The bodybuilders say many repetitions at lower weights builds muscle definition, and fewer repetitions at higher weights builds strength. While the work may be equivalent with the different gearings, the workout is not. I used to take pride in being able to push big gears, but feel no shame in using smaller gears now. I need them more for aerobic reasons than for leg weakness, plus, I'm old.

Interestingly, if you climb in higher gears using clipless pedals, you may confound the 'experts' who say you can't pull up on them.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 05-30-23, 12:17 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Not quite sure how the word ‘shame’ entered the conversation since the question only needs a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’. Ride what you want and how you want. What I do is only for me. Just curious if other do the same. If they don’t, that’s completely cool with me.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-30-23, 06:11 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
I have, traditionally. I have a winter/spring roadie with lower gears which I typically take on my club’s spring travel camps, where we travel to hillier areas to kick-start the season.

It became a regular habit when arthritis was really causing my knees a lot of trouble, roughly the past 8 years, and my winter training was subsequently uneven and not as productive as it should have been. Lower gearing helped me manage my output and complete them without destroying myself.

Quitting work in ‘20 was great for my knees, and while it took a year for them to settle down, they did, and I’ve had two winters of training like I used to have in the “old days,” and I used my regular summer bike for the season opener camp this year. It was fine, except that the winter/spring bike can fit fenders, which are something nice for the inevitable spring rains; I got well soaked this year!
Old 05-30-23, 06:36 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts

Can be quite different fiber type and substrate utilization.
Old 05-30-23, 06:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I change the cassette and rings sometimes when I take my bike to Colorado where a climb might be 10 miles or more long. Not quite the same as at home where a climb of more than half a mile is a long climb.
Yeah. I bought a long cage RD and lower geared cassette for the road bike when I went to Italy BITD. When I’m in the western US I am touring. That bike is already geared low.
Old 05-30-23, 06:58 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
No need to change the gearing. As others have said, self regulate which gears you use. Better yet, put a heavier wheelset on as the year progresses. Ride with a backpack that you can put weights in. Mount a bike trailer. pull it around loaded, then load it some more. If you're going to train seriously, don't half ass it.

Last edited by seypat; 05-30-23 at 07:04 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-30-23, 07:37 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
I have all the ratios I need... As happens I need quite more lower ratios as I progress to 'maturity'... LOL!
Back when we had only 2x5 & 2x6, I would swap rear wheels and sometimes put on the corn cob for those super fast crits. Habit persisted when into Ultra-7. Skipped 8 spd.
From 9 spd and up, I could almost have all I might need for varying road races, but then there was always that extra cassette with that one lower 'stump puller'.
10 spd - I get my single step block from 13 (or 12) to 19 and then good steps to 25 or 27... now I've converted to Mid-Compact from STD rings and even have a 13-28...
I get dropped a lot on uphills, by young children, but always catch up on the downslide...
If you wanna go faster, ride with a faster crowd... The thing with a group ride is you're always at someone else's tempo, so you can;t slide into your comfort zone. That's one of the things which makes you 'hard' - you find out who's boss...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 05-30-23, 10:39 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
not sure I understand the question as far as ‘fitness’ is concerned

but proper lower gearing can make a significant difference

with lower gearing (and decent level of fitness of course) you can better complete long challenging rides ... and recovery should be faster ... and your knees should be in better shape when you grow old

when you climb with tall gears you can expend a significant amount of energy and your legs could be spent

when you climb with lower gears you can use less energy in comparison and your legs will not be spent ... enabling you to ride longer

you can carry 5 pounds to another room 100 times fairly easily - and continue

or 10 pounds to another room 50 times ... and continue ...

but how many times could you carry 100 pounds to another room ? three times ? four maybe five times ? maybe more ? eventually you will be spent and unable to continue

Last edited by t2p; 05-30-23 at 10:58 PM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 05-30-23, 10:54 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
Not quite sure how the word ‘shame’ entered the conversation since the question only needs a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’. Ride what you want and how you want. What I do is only for me. Just curious if other do the same. If they don’t, that’s completely cool with me.
at one time BITD I sorta / kinda did that

I used a bike with lower gearing ‘early season’ - and later after my fitness had improved I most often used a bike with slightly higher gearing

( the bikes were geared with this plan in mind )
Old 05-31-23, 12:34 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
I only change gearing incidentally when changing bikes. If I know I'm not going to climb too much I might grab the bike with a 34x28 instead of the bike with a 34x32. My lightest bike has a 34x30 so if I'm feeling like giving that a go I might take that one instead of the 34x32, but it's because I'm looking for a particular riding experience, not because I'm more fit and don't need the 32.
Old 05-31-23, 03:35 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

On my mountain bike I do on my road bikes no so much.
Old 05-31-23, 06:20 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts

No reason to when you ride all season.

Road bike and mountain bike until the snow flies. Once the snow flies its fat bike. If the winter weather is too crappy to ride then it's the spin bike at the gym.
Old 05-31-23, 09:40 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’m thinking about it now. We are having a drought and the trails are all very dusty. I was already contemplating a return to 42/16, which I had on both bikes for about two years.

A year ago I put rear clusters back on both bikes, but I’ve pretty much done all my recent rides in 42/16 so I think I may just go back to single speed for a while. The rear derailleur picks up more dust than the SS chain that doesn’t loop down.

Had to work up to the point of feeling strong enough, though. I mainly ran this winter so cycling strength was down when I started riding more in March. It took at least a half a dozen rides to feel like I could manage SS and make it look fun.

Otto
Old 06-01-23, 05:51 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts

For me the variation in my fitness during the year would never warrant changing my gear range. Even pulling a single gear higher at the same cadence is a big step in terms of power/fitness. When I’m less fit I just drop into a lower gear or reduce my cadence slightly. The difference may only be in the order of 20-30W, but it is massive in terms of fitness.

So I gear for the terrain I’m riding rather than changes in my fitness. As an extreme, my mtb obviously has much lower gearing than my road bike. As we have a lot of steep climbs, my road bikes all have compact doubles with 1:1 lowest gear. On a steep climb I can often put out more power spinning in a lower gear anyway. Look at the gravel gearing Roglic used in the Giro mountain TT. No shame there! 😂

Since I started using a power meter, I soon discovered that grinding bigger gears up hills subjectively feels more powerful (higher pedal forces), but often results in lower power output because of the lower cadence. Remember that Power = Pedal Torque x Cadence.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-01-23, 08:41 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by PeteHski
For me the variation in my fitness during the year would never warrant changing my gear range. Even pulling a single gear higher at the same cadence is a big step in terms of power/fitness. When I’m less fit I just drop into a lower gear or reduce my cadence slightly. The difference may only be in the order of 20-30W, but it is massive in terms of fitness.

So I gear for the terrain I’m riding rather than changes in my fitness. As an extreme, my mtb obviously has much lower gearing than my road bike. As we have a lot of steep climbs, my road bikes all have compact doubles with 1:1 lowest gear. On a steep climb I can often put out more power spinning in a lower gear anyway. Look at the gravel gearing Roglic used in the Giro mountain TT. No shame there! 😂

Since I started using a power meter, I soon discovered that grinding bigger gears up hills subjectively feels more powerful (higher pedal forces), but often results in lower power output because of the lower cadence. Remember that Power = Pedal Torque x Cadence.
I have found that rather than turning big gears on a climb, I am actually faster when I gear down and increase cadence. I still like to challenge myself when climbing and go for PRs but as I age, I am also slowly becoming more aware of energy conservation (VS constantly pushing myself) so I have something left in the tank for the next day. The two sets of gears are on different bikes. The bike I usually have on the Kickr is the one with the lower gears which I got out for summer rides. The bike is actually lighter than my endurance bike but forces me to climb harder on the steeps because of it.

Old 06-01-23, 09:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I did when I was 17, but then I kept it there, cuz I was 17

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-01-23 at 11:28 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.