Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New BSO long-term test!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New BSO long-term test!

Old 10-13-13, 01:06 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Put quite simply, now that I have a permanent academic post in the EU, I don't have to follow the US anymore, which makes my life much easier.
In T minus 4 days you might suddenly have an interest in the USA again.
Old 10-13-13, 01:39 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
In T minus 4 days you might suddenly have an interest in the USA again.
If the US gets their **** together, which I think they will, thankfully for the global economy, then we will see, although I must admit our life is quite reasonable in the UK. If the US starts acting like the US of the past itcould be an interesting time.

Although, this is quite irrelevant to my real world FGSS testing, I would love to see the US get its action together if not to drive the rest of the world to action
Old 10-16-13, 01:23 PM
acidfast7
Banned

confirmed ... bike has not exploded yet ... seems to be getting broken in ... must be the cones getting polished ... you can really feel the difference

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 10-17-13, 08:23 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Fixed gear bikes have maintenance problems of their own. Not that they keep me from riding fixed. It's just that fixed gear does not seem to be the most maintenance-free design. I'd have to guess it's SS (freewheel) or 3-speed. All that reverse torque can be hard on the rear hub and BB. Also, when something goes wrong on a FG, it can go very wrong, like when the chain jumps off. This can be attributed to bad maintenance, but no one does a perfect job, so spit happens.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-18-13, 01:19 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by noglider
Fixed gear bikes have maintenance problems of their own. Not that they keep me from riding fixed. It's just that fixed gear does not seem to be the most maintenance-free design. I'd have to guess it's SS (freewheel) or 3-speed. All that reverse torque can be hard on the rear hub and BB. Also, when something goes wrong on a FG, it can go very wrong, like when the chain jumps off. This can be attributed to bad maintenance, but no one does a perfect job, so spit happens.
I must agree. Seems to be a lot of issues of running FB with untightened or cheaper hubs and threads being ruined.

I'm running SS for now ... but the bike is set-up to accept a Nexus 3, which could be interesting (after I complete this test.)
Old 10-18-13, 07:23 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm running SS for now ... but the bike is set-up to accept a Nexus 3, which could be interesting (after I complete this test.)
I wholeheartedly recommend a Nexus 3 for daily commuting, especially if you don't have tough climbs on your route. I've been using one daily for the past 6-7 months now, and I treat the Nexus as a single-speed (2nd gear is used 80% of the time), with a nice lower gear for hill(ish) climbing and a third gear (actually it's a 2.5) which is for flat and downhill stretches.
Old 10-18-13, 07:29 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Wow, 300 pounds is way outside my definition of a BSO. I have a $300 bike that I rode for 8 years/30,000 miles and is still in working order though is now semi-retired. When I think BSO I think more in the $100 range, something from a department store. I see some £150 and under bikes at Tesco.com - that would be more in the BSO category IMO.
Old 10-18-13, 07:40 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bikes are expensive in Europe.

Even the department store BSO can cost more than 150 euros ($200 US), and it's not easy to find good used one either, especially on a budget. Luckily there are online outlets located throughout Europe which have clearance sales and if you have the patients and time to search, you can find a great deal on a brand named bike.
Old 10-18-13, 10:22 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Telly
Everything is expensive in Europe.
Fixed that for you.

I overestimated the ability of the average BF reader to understand that most prices in different countries don't directly convert between currencies.

Presenting the almost $45000 Golf GTI in Germany:

compared to $31000 Golf GTI in the USA:

Hint for the readers stuck on the cost of a BSO in the UK ... do the same math.
Attached Images
Old 10-18-13, 12:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
do they include more gestuff in the German version?

Like "Smart" cars have more options, Not the ones sold in the US , just Gasoline ,

and not that fuel efficient ... no hybrid or Diesel versions .

motor proportionally smaller with the GVW..
Old 10-18-13, 01:47 PM
Telly
What, me worry?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have to agree with you acidfast7...

As for options, fietsbob, it depends on the markets being sold.
For instance, here in Greece, our cars are taxed on the displacement of the engines (!!!) so you'll have more options available for low displacement engines than other countries in Europe, and less higher displacement/upper end cars.
Old 10-18-13, 02:47 PM
jeffpoulin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I have to agree with Acidfast7 and Telly on the high cost of living in Europe. For example, a movie ticket in Geneva, Switzerland costs the equivalent of $21. A sandwich in a restaurant can easily cost over $30 (just the sandwich, no drinks or fries or anything like that). Bikes, too, are very highly priced. A couple years ago, I saw a stock Surly LHT in a bike shop for 1395 euros (about $1900). These same bikes are about $1300 in the U.S. Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc are other brands that I see a lot here and the prices are typically 50% higher than in the U.S.

Now, I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to call a £300 bike (about $500) a BSO, but it would surely be a low-end bike.

That said, there is one thing that is cheaper here: bicycle tires. I have no trouble finding Marathon Supremes for under $40 at online shops in Germany. Same goes for other Schwalbe models. Continentals are cheap too, at least compared to prices I see advertised on U.S. sites. So, we've got cheap tires. Yay!
Old 10-18-13, 03:29 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by jeffpoulin

That said, there is one thing that is cheaper here: bicycle tires.
Schwalbe tires!

Old 10-18-13, 04:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
They are made where the rubber trees grow, and then shipped to distribution warehouses ..

those come to Bremerhaven , other brands Come to different POE, like in Seattle and LA.

the Greeks apparently got lots of ways around paying those taxes , at least the wealthier ones.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-18-13 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-18-13, 04:24 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
OP I was just thinking of this thread and your "BSO" I find it semi ironic you payed what you did for that, I recently built a fixed gear myself and my total costs came out to a bit less than what you paid, and this is what I got for my money.

Old 10-18-13, 04:33 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by RaleighSport
OP I was just thinking of this thread and your "BSO" I find it semi ironic you payed what you did for that, I recently built a fixed gear myself and my total costs came out to a bit less than what you paid, and this is what I got for my money.

same old tired argument ... do that with parts/shipping within the UK and I'll be mildly impressed. the frame alone is more than 70% of my whole bike (at eBay prices with shipping).

also, we'll see which one lasts longer ... why don't you compete against my test bike in this thread

Last edited by acidfast7; 10-18-13 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-18-13, 04:35 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffpoulin
That said, there is one thing that is cheaper here: bicycle tires. I have no trouble finding Marathon Supremes for under $40 at online shops in Germany. Same goes for other Schwalbe models. Continentals are cheap too, at least compared to prices I see advertised on U.S. sites. So, we've got cheap tires. Yay!
In reference to German prices, I found them cheaper for everything bicycling related while living there from 1986-91 and 1997-2002. To include Brooks saddles, Marathon tires, complete bikes and every kind of accessory that a cyclist could dream of for a city commuting bike.

See https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post16147190 Every bike I bought in Germany for my family was far better for daily all weather commuting, as well as being less expensive in U.S $ equivalent, than the high priced so-called BSO bought by the O.P. He already has spent more time on maintenance just trying to get it into running order than I ever spent on maintenance of any the basic German bikes I own or ever did own.
Old 10-18-13, 04:39 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
In reference to German prices, I found them cheaper for everything bicycling related while living there from 1986-91 and 1997-2002. To include Brooks saddles, Marathon tires, complete bikes and every kind of accessory that a cyclist could dream of for a city commuting bike.

See https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post16147190 Every bike I bought in Germany for my family was far better for daily all weather commuting, as well as being less expensive in U.S $ equivalent, than the high priced so-called BSO bought by the O.P. He already has spent more time on maintenance just trying to get it into running order than I ever spent on maintenance of any the basic German bikes I own or ever did own.
I hope you enjoyed your time in Germany. It is a wonderful place and the bikes and components are excellent.

Please, stop using DM prices, upon DM to € conversion most absolute prices went up roughly 50% (except at Aldi, which is why the brothers gained such an immediate and fast following).

Welcome to 2013 pricing.
Old 10-18-13, 04:40 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

same old tired argument ... do that with parts/shipping within the UK and I'll be moderately impressed.
I don't need to, I live here and built the bike for myself. I'm not you nor do I live in the UK. I can however decree that there is irony in what we both chose for ourselves and how far apart they are on the spectrum even though both are brand new fixed gears at a particular and close together price point.

But I will play your little game:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Felt-TK413...item4acab23a83
I'd take that in a heart beat over the issues I've seen with yours.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Fl...item19d1f1513e
This Raleigh too!
Old 10-18-13, 04:42 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 10-18-13, 04:44 PM
acidfast7
Banned

I don't need to, I live here and built the bike for myself. I'm not you nor do I live in the UK. I can however decree that there is irony in what we both chose for ourselves and how far apart they are on the spectrum even though both are brand new fixed gears at a particular and close together price point.

But I will play your little game:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Felt-TK413...item4acab23a83
I'd take that in a heart beat over the issues I've seen with yours.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Fl...item19d1f1513e
This Raleigh too!
so, you jumped in to make a 2 non sensical posts and to ignore my invite of competing against me (do you feel threatened? i guess it's understandable). is your labor/time free? mine isn't.

edit: dude, the "Raleigh" has "Lee-chi" brakes

o_O
Old 10-18-13, 04:45 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Actually I simply brought up an ironic twist I thought you might appreciate, and then rather then being a spoil sport when you chose to react badly I responded rather directly with links to two bikes that cost less than yours and are better.. (and available in the UK)challenge accepted and bested. Lighten up Francis.
Old 10-18-13, 04:49 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Actually I simply brought up an ironic twist I thought you might appreciate, and then rather then being a spoil sport when you chose to react badly I responded rather directly with links to two bikes that cost less than yours and are better.. (and available in the UK)challenge accepted and bested. Lighten up Francis.
better?

have you been drinking?

i hope so as it's Friday
Old 10-18-13, 04:57 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

better?

have you been drinking?

i hope so as it's Friday
Nope, not drinking yet. I'm wondering what you've been smoking though, lee-chi brakes yes but compared on price point they can afford to upgrade those and still pay less then you did base (Yeah I consider that better). I've also been perusing this mangobikes site and am fairly curious, what exact model did you get? So we can have an honest cross comparison of components if you want to go after brand names etc. I'd really love to see how your bike is "better" than that felt here's the specs from it for ya.

• Frame:
    Felt TkR track specific custom butted 4130 Tig welded Cr-Mo tubes, oversized DT, butted tapered seatstays w/horizontal investment cast steel dropouts and chain tension adjusters
  • Fork:
    Felt track specific lugged Cr-Mo w/1.125"" steerer and oversized Cr-Mo fork blades w/38mm offset
  • Drivetrain:
    Felt TkR Pista Inspired in Italy cold forged aluminum crankset, w/144mm BCD, Skip-Tooth Hess 24T x 1/8"" Chainring, 51cm-56cm=165mm, 58cm-61cm=170mm, Track 15T fixed sprocket w/lock ring
  • Components:
    Felt TkR 6061 aluminum w/track drop handlebar, Felt 6061 aluminum 3D forged threadless quill stem, Felt TkR 6061 aluminum post, , Felt leather classic road saddle w/chrome riveted custom weathered leather cover and chrome plated steel rails
  • Wheelset:
    Felt TkR 22mm FB track 32H 3X front and rear w/wood finish rims, Felt TkR Drilled Hi-Flange 32H hubs, DT Champion stainless 1.8mm w/brass nipples
  • Accessories:
  • Finish:
    Pale Blue/Chrome
  • Sizes:
    700c x 51, 54, 56, 58, 61cm
Old 10-18-13, 05:04 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Nope, not drinking yet. I'm wondering what you've been smoking though, lee-chi brakes yes but compared on price point they can afford to upgrade those and still pay less then you did base (Yeah I consider that better). I've also been perusing this mangobikes site and am fairly curious, what exact model did you get? So we can have an honest cross comparison of components if you want to go after brand names etc. I'd really love to see how your bike is "better" than that felt here's the specs from it for ya.

• Frame:
    Felt TkR track specific custom butted 4130 Tig welded Cr-Mo tubes, oversized DT, butted tapered seatstays w/horizontal investment cast steel dropouts and chain tension adjusters
  • Fork:
    Felt track specific lugged Cr-Mo w/1.125"" steerer and oversized Cr-Mo fork blades w/38mm offset
  • Drivetrain:
    Felt TkR Pista Inspired in Italy cold forged aluminum crankset, w/144mm BCD, Skip-Tooth Hess 24T x 1/8"" Chainring, 51cm-56cm=165mm, 58cm-61cm=170mm, Track 15T fixed sprocket w/lock ring
  • Components:
    Felt TkR 6061 aluminum w/track drop handlebar, Felt 6061 aluminum 3D forged threadless quill stem, Felt TkR 6061 aluminum post, , Felt leather classic road saddle w/chrome riveted custom weathered leather cover and chrome plated steel rails
  • Wheelset:
    Felt TkR 22mm FB track 32H 3X front and rear w/wood finish rims, Felt TkR Drilled Hi-Flange 32H hubs, DT Champion stainless 1.8mm w/brass nipples
  • Accessories:
  • Finish:
    Pale Blue/Chrome
  • Sizes:
    700c x 51, 54, 56, 58, 61cm
Attached Images

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.