Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-21, 07:46 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
2021. I don’t plan that far ahead.
Gail does. She needs 11 to get 100 centuries.

SOTR 100
RAIN 165
HHH 100
RAW 225
Hilly Hundred (2x53 back-back)

“St. Louis” rides:
Vino Fondo
MS100x2 back to back
Ride The Rivers
Appleknocker
Giro de Montagna
Cranksgiving

At least 2or 3 unsupported Madison County centuries.

Other possibilities, all centuries.
Six Gap in GA
A century in Arkansas
Tour de Tucson
Lake Tahoe
Cheraholla Challenge
Wabash River Ride

Will be dipping my toes into gravel, but on a mountain bike with a larger crankset.

Oh, and Pat, I’m holding at 170, fairly easily. In January, so the 161 will be back, and maybe less.
BTW, there is a new Microtel with good reviews in Lynchburg that is a little cheaper than the Super 8. I already have a room booked. I'm guessing you and the squeeze will move up to the hilltop penthouse digs with Doc and company.
Old 01-02-21, 09:37 AM
seypat

2021. I don’t plan that far ahead.
Gail does. She needs 11 to get 100 centuries.

SOTR 100
RAIN 165
HHH 100
RAW 225
Hilly Hundred (2x53 back-back)

“St. Louis” rides:
Vino Fondo
MS100x2 back to back
Ride The Rivers
Appleknocker
Giro de Montagna
Cranksgiving

At least 2or 3 unsupported Madison County centuries.

Other possibilities, all centuries.
Six Gap in GA
A century in Arkansas
Tour de Tucson
Lake Tahoe
Cheraholla Challenge
Wabash River Ride

Will be dipping my toes into gravel, but on a mountain bike with a larger crankset.

Oh, and Pat, I’m holding at 170, fairly easily. In January, so the 161 will be back, and maybe less.
Speaking of future possible rides/destinations, Virginia is building a new 43 mile MUP trail that will connect with the Capital Trail. Include the Colonial Parkway and some planning and you could have a weeks worth of riding through some scenic/historic areas. Doc could have some suggestions for north of Richmond. There is also the High Bridge trail which is located between Richmond and Lynchburg. There's strong potential for a decent cycling vacation.

https://www.virginiacapitaltrail.org/
https://www.vabike.org/ashland-to-pe...icially-named/
https://www.visitwilliamsburg.com/at...lonial-parkway
https://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-p...h-bridge-trail
Old 01-02-21, 10:43 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat

That's about it. I can't exactly remember why I don't care for triathlons. I might do 1 or 2 sprint tris to get the memory fresh again.
Old 01-02-21, 11:24 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
If you think about it, a tri is just a single TT where you switch equipment a couple of times. The activities are somewhat different, but the philosophies are the same. Make yourself a Prius and become as efficient as possible. It's all laid out in front of you. You are in control. Just hit your numbers and all will be well. About a mile into the bike leg, I'm usually thinking, " This sucks! I just did this same $hit in the water." Then I get to the run and think, "Great, more of the same. Boring!"
By far, the most fun I've had in endurance was the Urban Athlons I used to do in Chicago. Tough Mudders without the mud/water. Run for a ways then a different set of obstacles/situations to conquer. That 8 foot wall at the end you have to get over to finish and get your bling. That was fun. Unfortunately, my brother moved and the event became a Tough Mudder or Spartan in the countryside.

Last edited by seypat; 01-02-21 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-02-21, 11:30 AM
seypat

It's all coming back to me now. Maybe tris will not be put on the schedule after all.
Old 01-02-21, 12:00 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
That's about it. I can't exactly remember why I don't care for triathlons. I might do 1 or 2 sprint tris to get the memory fresh again.
Good luck. But don't forget the race simulation swim training:

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 01-02-21, 12:09 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
Good luck. But don't forget the race simulation swim training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk
I tried to sign up for a Tough Dodger, but there's not any in my area.

Likes For seypat:
Old 01-02-21, 12:21 PM
texaspandj

Triathlon is three separate time trials. Time trials are painful and not fun.
Old 01-04-21, 06:49 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Recently picked up a beautiful ironman that looks to have been ridden once or twice and put into storage. Paint so lustrous it looks like it was done last week. Has original 105 groupset and only tires, pedals, saddle and bar tape look to have been changed. I wonder if this was bought to compete in a triathlon with tri-bars and clip-less pedals and then relegated to the basement for the next 30 odd years when it was given a quick fix to make it ride-able and sold.

Likes For bluehills3149:
Old 01-04-21, 09:02 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by bluehills3149
Recently picked up a beautiful ironman that looks to have been ridden once or twice and put into storage. Paint so lustrous it looks like it was done last week. Has original 105 groupset and only tires, pedals, saddle and bar tape look to have been changed. I wonder if this was bought to compete in a triathlon with tri-bars and clip-less pedals and then relegated to the basement for the next 30 odd years when it was given a quick fix to make it ride-able and sold.

Xtra clean!
Old 01-04-21, 09:13 PM
seypat

Mailed. Don't lose the little bitty balls.
This hasn't shown up yet. You have any kind of tracking number?

I have 3 checks customers mailed in Nov./ early Dec. which haven't shown up yet either.
They're going to void and resend.
Old 01-05-21, 06:39 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
This hasn't shown up yet. You have any kind of tracking number?

I have 3 checks customers mailed in Nov./ early Dec. which haven't shown up yet either.
They're going to void and resend.
It was in a regular envelope with 4 stamps.
Old 01-06-21, 10:07 AM
texaspandj

Last summer in preparation for the HnH 100, I was thinking what could go wrong that wouldn't allow me to participate. For example, just as I'm about to load bike I realize I have a flat. No problem, I'd grab another bike. Busted cable, grab another bike. Broke spoke, grab another bike. Basically, anything goes wrong on a bike, I'd just grab another bike. So I started thinking some more, it would have to be something not with the bike that would prevent from riding with y'all. Barring injury, it would be something I'm wearing. Clothes, have another set ready to go. Helmet, just ride no helmet or take extra one. Shoes! That's what would stop me. So I ordered another set of Sidi shoes. I got the shoes, but of course the ride never happened. Since I was so comfortable with my old shoes I never bothered to put cleats on the new shoes. However, Since I'm now relegated to riding indoors, I figured it would be a good time to break in new shoes. I'm working on it now.
I noticed on my old Sidi shoes (that are about 15 years old) were coming apart. Actually the sole is separating from the last. Although the Sidi shoes had a good run, I'm not ready to retire them yet. I'm thinking contact cement glue will work or possibly vulcanized patch glue?
What would you use?
​​
Old 01-06-21, 11:11 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Last summer in preparation for the HnH 100, I was thinking what could go wrong that wouldn't allow me to participate. For example, just as I'm about to load bike I realize I have a flat. No problem, I'd grab another bike. Busted cable, grab another bike. Broke spoke, grab another bike. Basically, anything goes wrong on a bike, I'd just grab another bike. So I started thinking some more, it would have to be something not with the bike that would prevent from riding with y'all. Barring injury, it would be something I'm wearing. Clothes, have another set ready to go. Helmet, just ride no helmet or take extra one. Shoes! That's what would stop me. So I ordered another set of Sidi shoes. I got the shoes, but of course the ride never happened. Since I was so comfortable with my old shoes I never bothered to put cleats on the new shoes. However, Since I'm now relegated to riding indoors, I figured it would be a good time to break in new shoes. I'm working on it now.
I noticed on my old Sidi shoes (that are about 15 years old) were coming apart. Actually the sole is separating from the last. Although the Sidi shoes had a good run, I'm not ready to retire them yet. I'm thinking contact cement glue will work or possibly vulcanized patch glue?
What would you use?
​​
Shoe Goo. Comes in clear or black. You can get it at Lowes or Walmart.
Old 01-06-21, 12:26 PM
texaspandj

Shoe Goo. Comes in clear or black. You can get it at Lowes or Walmart.
I have some shoe goo. Since I supinate when I run, I use it on the outside edge of my heel. This allows my running shoes to last a little longer. I also used shoe goo to repair these nike sock racers when the sole started to separate from last.

My triathlon racing flats.
Old 01-06-21, 01:31 PM
seypat

Speaking of shoes, the new running shoe models are getting close to hitting the shelves. That means the discounts are starting on the current models. For sports related items, the buying season is starting for me. I run at night, I'm currently hitting the clearance sales getting winter running/cycling gear. I ordered a Noxgear Tracer 360 to replace my current reflective vest which is getting long in the tooth.

https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360

Last edited by seypat; 01-06-21 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-06-21, 03:05 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I used whatever shoes/gear Asics sent me, about 500 miles and most of them were shot.
In between, I'd go after the sales, but that EVA foam has a shelf life, so the deterioration would show up as shin splints, knee pain, or sometimes plantar fascitis.
Shoe Goo was a good "preventer" but I'd use it to build up an area pre-wear, but not after.
If Asics was sending you shoes, and you goo'd them, you were not considered well.
That said, the original Gel Light was the finest training shoe I ever wore; it just wore out in 300 miles.
Nike Odyssey was the best wearing, but had a horrible sole (straigh last).

I tried those sock trainers and the associated sock racer. At 5:00 to 5:15 pace, they're fine. Slower, and you can get movement in joints not intended.

My racing flats were Asics, basically a 1/4" sole on a slipper. Hell on the cobblestones at the Richmond Marathon, but fast. Feet were always sore the next day on our 10-mile recovery runs.

If you know what fit, feels good, and doesn't hurt, stick with it. I've always been blessed to be able to wear about anything except some Nikes. They were the evil empire, anyway. I wear Sauconys now, as I'm heavier. They just cost 3x what they should.
Old 01-06-21, 05:32 PM
seypat

Did you ever bump into Phil Knight hawking his shoes out of his trunk? Different sport, but Nike shoes never fit my feet well either. I was a Converse Weapons wearer like Magic and Larry Bird. Nike is indeed, the evil empire. If you want some info as to why, read the book Sole Influence. It's a book published in 2000. It gives some good insight about the rise of the Swoosh as well as the shady underbelly of amateur sports.

Last edited by seypat; 01-06-21 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-06-21, 06:32 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
My boy is happier with STI

5700 drivetrain
6500 brakes
Ritchey Pro Cranks with Octalink BB
6700 Ultegra Open Pro DT Revolution 2x
Nitto Dynamic and 55 bars
Kalloy seatpost

He rode away with some black Looks, a pair of black Ciussi Elites, and the bars rotated back a bit. Now of course, I'm looking at a '88 master and wondering if the top tube might be too long. 🤔 My son's 89 expert has the longer TT for its ST compared to 86s and 87 Experts I've measured.

Last edited by Classtime; 01-06-21 at 06:38 PM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 01-06-21, 06:45 PM
texaspandj

I have high arches and luckily I'm easy on shoes. The best training shoes I ever used were the nike sock trainers, second was the original nike air max. Because of my high arches I need a cushioned shoe. The "air" worked great and would not break down, however to compensate nike made the outer sole only last a few hundred miles. They kinda shot themselves in the foot with the "air" thing.
I've told this story before but I was at a race and waiting for the results when a guy came and sat by me. I was wearing my original sock trainers or racers and he pointed at my shoes and said I invented those shoes. In my head I was like this guy is crazy or full of crap. He continues, I used to get black toe nails after marathons so I invented the shoe mesh and nike bought it from me. Then he he said he was Dr Spence. Then I realized he was with Spenco.
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 01-06-21, 08:14 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Regarding shoes...

I just started walking, then jogging (like 100 yards at a time), around September after my old neck, shoulder and back injuries were giving me fits on the bike. By September my average speed on the usual roller coaster terrain was around 18 mph over my usual 20-30 mile workouts. But by October it suddenly dipped and I could barely break 14 mph. And I was miserable every ride, with neck pain during the ride and painful spasms in my quads and even feet afterward. I knew I needed to change up my training routine.

I cut back from around 500-600 miles a month on the bike to 200-300 miles and started walking and jogging about 5 miles, two to four times a week. Same overall hours per month, 40-50 hours/mo, but fewer miles.

I started out walking more in summer 2018, maybe a mile or two at a time, with some RBX lightweight summer running shoes that wore out pretty quickly. Good while they lasted. That was the year I was recovering from being hit by a car, then thyroid cancer and surgery to remove it. Tough recovery year.

Then in summer 2019 I switched to adidas Daily 2.0 sneakers, which are great for walking and platform pedals, but just oh-kay for jogging. Good on pavement, not so great on trails, gravel, grass, etc. I was still walking maybe a mile or two at a time, mostly walking errands instead of using the errand bike for groceries. I treated grocery trips as makeshift physical therapy, seeing how much I could carry for the mile or so trip home. The Daily sneaks were good for walking and smooth pavement jogging, but too soft for chipseal, gravel and trails.

So, end of November I grabbed a pair of adidas EQT Gazelles leftover stock from 2019, for $22 at a Ross discount store, where I've had good luck finding shoes to fit my narrow feet with high arches -- adidas usually fit me best. I was coming home from a medical appointment and took the bus home. But nobody was bother with masks on the bus, and some were snuffling, coughing, etc., and wiping their faces on their hands, so I bailed out at the first main stop downtown, got the shoes, and decided to walk home. It was 8 miles and I figured that would be a good test of the shoes. No problems -- no blisters, no foot discomfort. My hips, lower back and sides of my thighs around the hip joint ached a bit. But I knew from a full body skeletal scan that I had no joint problems below my mid-back. So I figured it would just take time to adapt.

Since November 27 I've walked and jogged 127 miles in those EQT Gazelles. I'm up to jogging for 2-3 miles continuously out of my usual 5 mile loop, and sorta intermittent speed-walking/semi-jogging the other 2 or so miles. Not fast but it'll take awhile. I hadn't done any jogging in 40+ years. My walking pace is around 14-15'/mile, jogging around 12'/mile. Occasionally on a good day I can actually manage full leg extension running for maybe 100 yards. But I got too overconfident a couple of weeks ago and flopped on my face (on soft grass) when I overestimated my knee/quad strength while hopping across a curb. No pain, but no strength or flexibility to rebound on the landing. That was a humbling experience.

Minimal wear so far -- the shoes, I mean. 63 years of wear on the wearer. Really good, for such odd looking shoes. Very chunky, 1990s retro styling. But practical for casual trail running. There's a rigid plastic mid-sole plate to protect from rocks, sharp stuff, etc. Good arch support. I don't even need my usual ProFoot Miracle insoles, which I use in all of my clipless shoes and most other walking shoes. The Gazelles are medium width and I really need a narrow, but cinching down the laces takes up the slack with minimal wrinkling of the tongue over the toe box.

I may buy another pair while they're available now. While I'm curious about other shoes for trail running, gravel, chipseal, etc., I probably should just stick with these since they've proven to be comfy for 6-7 weeks and more than 100 miles. The EQT Gazelle is still available for under $100, sometimes much less. Fortunately it appears most buyers of adidas and Nike are more interested in fashion than practicality, so they want new kicks every few months. That's good for actual runners and active folks who just want functional shoes. Wait awhile until the initial price drops.

I've had good luck using Shoe Goo on leather shoes and *some* non-leather materials. But it failed completely on some oddball Birkenstock sandals made of all synthetic material for the beach. Nothing could hold the faux-leather straps to the rubbery soles. And I had only so-so results prolonging the soles of a pair of Montrail hiking shoes.

But Shoe Goo worked for years on leather boots and shoes, even patching holes worn in the leather soles. After setting up the Shoe Goo wore just as well as the original leather and didn't peel up at the edges, bubble up, crack or flake off.

Regarding clipless shoes, I've had my Scott Road Pro shoes for right at 3 years, and Fizik Tempo Powerstrap for about 18 months. No problems with either. They should hold up awhile longer. The Scott shoes fit my long skinny feet perfectly. The Fizik are a bit wide and I combine the original insole with ProFoot Miracle insoles to support the foot and prevent hotspots on the metatarsals.

adidas EQT Gazelles. Yup, I really wear these for trail running. That's 127 miles of wear since November 27, 2020. Pretty satisfied for $22. I'll probably buy another pair, although it'll cost more like $50.

Last edited by canklecat; 01-06-21 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-06-21, 09:54 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Adidas has a unique fit and when they fit, they fit, period.
Their curved last just works for a segment of the market.
IMO, they have always made the best trail shoes.
I used to wear them backpacking when everyone else was in boots.

The Nike Pegasus was designed on a computer to “approximately “ fit 70% of the running market.
It wasn’t real stable as the cushioning actually had fore/aft and lateral movement. Knee pain killed it off.

Integrating the sole rubber and the EVA foam created more cushioning, but soft rubber for cushioning is the opposite of durability.
The introduction of Goodyear Indy 500 rubber on outsoles made running shoes last a lot longer, but gave up the cushioning assist.
Just like Chili compound in bike tires. Lasts longer, but it isn’t silk.

I went into a running store the other day, barely recognized any of the brands. I’m sure they’re all just fine.
For $140, they should run themselves.
Old 01-07-21, 05:18 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Nice Score!

It also looks like the stem has been replaced at sometime, with that height of the stem it appears it may be a Nitto Technomic.
Old 01-07-21, 09:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Adidas has a unique fit and when they fit, they fit, period.
Their curved last just works for a segment of the market.
IMO, they have always made the best trail shoes.
I used to wear them backpacking when everyone else was in boots.

The Nike Pegasus was designed on a computer to “approximately “ fit 70% of the running market.
It wasn’t real stable as the cushioning actually had fore/aft and lateral movement. Knee pain killed it off.

Integrating the sole rubber and the EVA foam created more cushioning, but soft rubber for cushioning is the opposite of durability.
The introduction of Goodyear Indy 500 rubber on outsoles made running shoes last a lot longer, but gave up the cushioning assist.
Just like Chili compound in bike tires. Lasts longer, but it isn’t silk.

I went into a running store the other day, barely recognized any of the brands. I’m sure they’re all just fine.
For $140, they should run themselves.
Some friends are buzzing over their Nike Alphafly kicks, but I'm a long way off from needing a $250 pair of running shoes. My main challenge is still picking up my dang feet so I don't stumble around like a drunk old man instead of just a clumsy old man.
Old 01-07-21, 10:32 PM
texaspandj

Yup, that's a beauty.
What are your plans for it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.