Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Track Bike - use it as Fixie?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old Track Bike - use it as Fixie?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-20, 11:03 AM
wiston

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
This is why some folks use left hand drive for fixed gear, because this makes the rear cog self-tightening during deceleration. The only problem is that this makes the pedals self-loosening, unless one can find a front crankset for a crossover drive tandem application.
Ok, still not closer to the answer...
Old 09-12-20, 11:04 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by wiston
Sorry I don't know the correct word for that...in czech it is "Galusky" and I glue them to the rim. Of course I know all "problems" associated with skidding. I just care about the ring durability and resistance. I think that the lock ring is enough for skid (at least I thought so).
Maybe I've taken a lot of risks in the last few years with ring only but my friends and many fixie riders use just lock rings. What other safety option is there when you want to ride pure fixie brakeless bike?
Well then, JB WELD.

Then it will never come off.
Old 09-12-20, 11:07 AM
wiston

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Well then, JB WELD.

Then it will never come off.
Fine, but what is wrong about lock ring? The metal itself is solid enough. Maybe the screw-thread is a weak spot?
Old 09-12-20, 11:07 AM
Munny

Bikes: 50 ? More?

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
There was a time, here in Belgium, when lock rings were prohibited on track.

I don't know if it's still the case and anyway I was thinking that fixie were nowhopefully has been with many of the guys having problems with their knees.
No track nearby?
Old 09-12-20, 11:08 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
Sorry I don't know the correct word for that...in czech it is "Galusky" and I glue them to the rim. Of course I know all "problems" associated with skidding. I just care about the ring durability and resistance. I think that the lock ring is enough for skid (at least I thought so).
Maybe I've taken a lot of risks in the last few years with ring only but my friends and many fixie riders use just lock rings. What other safety option is there when you want to ride pure fixie brakeless bike?
If you're willing to run without a coaster brake, there is the option of using a disc brake hub and a fixed cog designed to bolt directly to it. Absolutely durable and a cheap combo too.

https://www.amazon.com/Fixed-Bicycle.../dp/B074QMNYDG

-Kurt

Old 09-12-20, 11:10 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
OK...duscussing here pure fixies. Just frame, wheels and single speed hub!
Well, single speed hub can be freewheel, fixed, or coaster and coasters/freewheels are not a 'fixed wheel'. (fixie is so 2010 don't you think? )

Having a plan B to slow your bike down is never uncool.
Likes For clubman:
Old 09-12-20, 11:12 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Fine, but what is wrong about lock ring? The metal itself is solid enough. Maybe the screw-thread is a weak spot?
Maybe, if you must go down this road, get a bullitproof wheel built by the guru's and save the very cool one that is on there before it is permanently damaged and screws up that beautiful frame.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-12-20, 11:26 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26410 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
Yes! It is my imagination of how the bike could look like. I would like the rear hub a little bit smaller and completely chrome and keep the front wheel. So I need to find some tubeless vintage rim and compatible coaster hub. I am not sure about the width of the hub - so I can mount it with the frame?
...every modern track frame I've encountered here in the US was spaced at 120mm in the rear.
Old 09-12-20, 11:29 AM
wiston

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Maybe, if you must go down this road, get a bullitproof wheel built by the guru's and save the very cool one that is on there before it is permanently damaged and screws up that beautiful frame.
Of course I don't want to ruin that bike in any way. If I would go with new rear hub, I would buy new rim. Dont want to damage this beautiful wheels with nice string joins.
Keeping that in mind I still want to ride this bike just because I like it and I am not track enthusiast at all So I need to adjust (without any destructive changes) it somehow or sell it.
Likes For wiston:
Old 09-12-20, 11:41 AM
merziac

Of course I don't want to ruin that bike in any way. If I would go with new rear hub, I would buy new rim. Dont want to damage this beautiful wheels with nice string joins.
Keeping that in mind I still want to ride this bike just because I like it and I am not track enthusiast at all So I need to adjust (without any destructive changes) it somehow or sell it.
I get it and like I said, if you must, seek out the gurus who fix this problem and make it so.

Or just box it up and send it to me, I have a couple of fixies just sitting here I would be happy to trade.
Old 09-12-20, 11:46 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Shimano CB-E110 is a nice coaster brake hub. I think they may be wider than 120, though. Worth looking into.

Where are you located, @wiston? Fichtel & Sachs made some nice rear hubs if you want to search for something vintage. I have a Duomatic that is a coaster brake and two speed kickback. It is fantastic. They came in 28 hole and 36 hole variations. The 36, which is what I have, can be hard to find - at least in the US.
Old 09-12-20, 12:01 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Sorry I don't know the correct word for that...in czech it is "Galusky" and I glue them to the rim.
That is a tubular tire, not tubeless, although Tufo makes tubular tires that do not have inner tubes, most tubular tires have inner tubes sewn inside the outside casing of the tire
Old 09-12-20, 12:28 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Munny
There was a time, here in Belgium, when lock rings were prohibited on track.

I don't know if it's still the case and anyway I was thinking that fixie were nowhopefully has been with many of the guys having problems with their knees.
No track nearby?
On the track, a lock ring really doesn’t do that much. One or two hard accelerations, and the cog is on tight enough that you will have to lock up the rear wheel to break the cog loose. If you have to slow down that fast in a track race, well, you have already crashed.
Old 09-12-20, 12:29 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
The cheapest option is to buy the lock ring. Only thing I am confused about is - can I rely on the ring? Will it handle skidding?
no, not good enough. Take a look at a purpose built Fixie hub:

Notice that there are two different diameter threads on there. The cog goes on the inner CW thread. The outer thread is CCW. The lock ring goes here.
When you pedal forward the cog will self tighten. When you backpedal the lock ring will self tighten.
Old 09-12-20, 12:44 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Your easiest path is to get a bottom bracket adjustable cup lock ring. it has the same RH threading as the hub, probably 1.370 x 24 tpi, tighten the cog well, and tighten the bottom bracket lock ring against it.
BUT, that is a poor choice for skid stopping, I think using a tubular tire (glued on type as mentioned) is silly, any skid stops will wear to the casing very quickly.

Way back, we rode the track without lockrings. Made for faster cog changes. About 1975, the officials were issued orders to inspect bikes for lock rings before events. Prior to that, no problem.
It is now a UCI thing for track racing. Everyone lives with the rules.

A true lock ring is slightly smaller thread diameter than the cog and has reverse lefthand threading. There are essentially three standards, the French, Campagnolo, and everyone else.
Just looked on ebay and there are plenty of coaster brake hubs in chrome to be found, in 36 spoke count. For a street use, want to skid wheel, get a clincher rim, the tires can be found in many tread weights.
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-12-20, 01:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Importing from Japan you may find a a front brake mount that bolts onto track bikes .. Keirin racers train on their race bikes on the streets
and add a front brake they remove when back in the velodrome..
Old 09-12-20, 03:27 PM
St33lWh33ls

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Could you recommend me some without any additional features please? Just the smallest and highest-quality rear coaster brake? I like single speed bike
VELOSTEEL

https://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2012/...brake-hub.html

Last edited by St33lWh33ls; 09-12-20 at 03:32 PM.
Likes For St33lWh33ls:
Old 02-20-21, 03:53 PM
wiston

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Coaster brake

So this is how the bike looks like today. I’ve got two old tires. Front one is tubular type and the rear is classic one with inner tube. The rear tire also has coaster brake installed and I only need to install front brake now
Likes For wiston:
Old 02-21-21, 01:32 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Sorry I don't know the correct word for that...in czech it is "Galusky" and I glue them to the rim.
Filing this away for posterity - I love that name for tubulars. Google doesn't have it but the Czech Tufo site does.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 02-21-21, 01:49 AM
geeteeiii

Bikes: HVZ Meteor 1979, HVZ Champion 1962, HVZ SS Moskva80 1981, Dürkopp 1936

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 70 Posts
I wouldnt add a front brake, it looks nice and clean without one. Im suprised that not alot of single speeds dont use coaster brakes, makes for a clean and silent setup.
Old 02-21-21, 02:15 AM
merziac

So this is how the bike looks like today. I’ve got two old tires. Front one is tubular type and the rear is classic one with inner tube. The rear tire also has coaster brake installed and I only need to install front brake now
Well there you go, done!

I would insulate the chainstay from that coaster brake arm clamp with something though, especially if you are going to be doing skid stops, maybe thinwall clear tubing so as not to mar the chainstay.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-21-21, 06:47 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I think that's a SRAM Automatix - a two-speed kickback. Gives you both a quality coaster and two gears with no extra cables.

Sturmey makes one as well in the all-important, clear anodized aluminum color you wish:
https://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Arche.../dp/B0041X814O

This is, of course, provided you like the idea of a kickback two-speed.

-Kurt
That SRAM is not a kick back, it is a centrifugal change hub, when the wheel gets to a specific rotational speed it shifts.
Old 02-21-21, 08:49 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
SS Coaster Brake was always the best way to fit your desires...looks good
Old 02-21-21, 09:12 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,391 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
That SRAM is not a kick back, it is a centrifugal change hub, when the wheel gets to a specific rotational speed it shifts.
My bad. Thanks!

-Kurt

Old 03-20-21, 12:28 PM
wiston

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I am just worried about the coaster brake longevity? I am 87kg so it tooks lot of force to stop the bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.