Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo pista hub lockring

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 03-23-21, 07:12 AM
Gods lonely man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts

This is my first Campy track hub, while I was assembling the cog I noticed the lockring didn't thread all the way, cog and lockring are ape force tightened, I was going to get a little spin and mash up a hill but I was a little worried about stripping it.
Is it just a extra thick lockring so I have extra threads and nothing else?
Lockring seems like a Miche.

Old 03-23-21, 09:21 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Those Surly cogs are 7.4mm at the base; you might want to go with something thinner for that hub. Alternately, you can try a Surly lockring:

"We redesigned our lockring by widening it to 5.5mm, which added 38% more threading than our previous lockring. The added thread engagement will help secure the cog and lessen chances of stripping threads on the hub. Notice the small lip on the lockring. In some cases (when using ’05 Surly cogs on Surlyhubs, for example), a cog will overhang the lockring threads of the hub more than 1.5mm. The lockring should then be installed with the lip facing the cog. This increases the lockring thread engagement by 1.5mm vs. using a non-lipped lockring. When the cog overhangs the lockring thread sless than 1.5mm, the lip should face away from the cog...toward the outside of the hub."

EDIT: Never mind the lockring. I just read that they don't fit Campy or Phil Wood hubs.

Last edited by Rolla; 03-23-21 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-23-21, 09:43 AM
Gods lonely man

Thanks for the response, the cog is brand X, cheap stuff from chain reaction.
So the cog may be too wide, any recommended sprockets for campy hubs? The only one that seems to fit in perfectly is a Campagnolo cog, obviously.
Old 03-23-21, 01:23 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by Gods lonely man
any recommended sprockets for campy hubs? The only one that seems to fit in perfectly is a Campagnolo cog, obviously.
Maybe Euro-Asia or Formula, but I know thread compatibility is an issue, so shop carefully. Maybe see if Sheldon Brown gas anything to say on the subject.
Old 03-23-21, 02:23 PM
Gods lonely man

Originally Posted by Rolla
Maybe Euro-Asia or Formula, but I know thread compatibility is an issue, so shop carefully. Maybe see if Sheldon Brown gas anything to say on the subject.
I think I am going to try Phil Wood, I have seen some builds that used their cogs and lockrings with Campagnolo.
Old 03-23-21, 02:32 PM
Rolla

I think I am going to try Phil Wood, I have seen some builds that used their cogs and lockrings with Campagnolo.
Good call; that seems promising.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-23-21, 04:14 PM
1incpa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
It seems wrong, but I've been using a Dura-Ace cog on a Campy hub with no problems.
Just make sure you use a Campy or Phil Wood lockring.
Paul
Old 03-23-21, 04:49 PM
Gods lonely man

Originally Posted by 1incpa
It seems wrong, but I've been using a Dura-Ace cog on a Campy hub with no problems.
Just make sure you use a Campy or Phil Wood lockring.
Paul
The problem I have with Dura-Ace is the teeth number, not easy finding a 18T.
My lbs has very little track stock so i will have to find a good deal online , maybe I should put the only Campagnolo cog I have and blow my knees with 88 gear inches.
Old 03-23-21, 08:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Thanks for the response, the cog is brand X, cheap stuff from chain reaction.
So the cog may be too wide, any recommended sprockets for campy hubs? The only one that seems to fit in perfectly is a Campagnolo cog, obviously.
I've used Cobra and TDC sprockets on Campagnolo track hubs without problems. Here's a Cobra sprocket on a Campagnolo track hub:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cobra-camp.jpg (122.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 03-24-21, 06:05 AM
IAmSam

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Have you tried undoing your work yet? If you haven't - I think you should. I'm going to come at this from a different angle than some other posters. I hate getting wordy but may have to, to make my point so please hear me out.

Everybody is talking about your cog. Cog threading is pretty standardized so I do not think that is the problem. It is the lockring threading - IIRC there actually are several different lockring threading standards that I am not going to look up now but anybody here can find them easily. But I do recall that it boils down to the biggie being English vs Campagnolo. There is a miniscule difference, but it is a difference and I once heard that St Sheldon once said something along the lines that while ISO, English and Italian are all semi-interchangeable, it is not guaranteed to work every time.

So I propose that your problem is that you
ape force tightened
a likely Asian made Brand X Lockring onto a Campagnolo Track Hub and in your case, it did not work out for you. I suggest you re-start and think about what you are doing.

That wasn't so bad was it? Well good luck...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 03-24-21, 10:35 AM
Gods lonely man

"So I propose that your problem is that you a likely Asian made Brand X Lockring onto a Campagnolo Track Hub and in your case, it did not work out for you. I suggest you re-start and think about what you are doing."
Yeah, the lockring was my main concern, but I just tried my miche cog, with Italian threading, it didn't thread all the way, but with a 16T Campagnolo sprocket, it leaves enough thread to fully engage.
I searched a little bit more about this problem and thtePhil Wood hubs have the same issue with some brands of cogs that make them a little more wide.
Old 03-24-21, 11:12 AM
Gods lonely man

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I've used Cobra and TDC sprockets on Campagnolo track hubs without problems. Here's a Cobra sprocket on a Campagnolo track hub:
That lockring looks solid, i can't believe how poorly made are some brands, even Campagnolo seems fragile...
Old 03-24-21, 12:37 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

That lockring looks solid, i can't believe how poorly made are some brands, even Campagnolo seems fragile...
That happens to be a Miche lockring. Quite solid, and a fraction of the cost of Campagnolo or Phil Wood.

https://www.retro-gression.com/products/miche-lockring
Old 03-24-21, 12:45 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by IAmSam
Cog threading is pretty standardized so I do not think that is the problem. It is the lockring threading - IIRC there actually are several different lockring threading standards that I am not going to look up now but anybody here can find them easily. But I do recall that it boils down to the biggie being English vs Campagnolo.
There are three lockring thread specs; Campagnolo, English, and metric. Metric is all but obsolete. Most track lockrings are English 1.29" x 24tpi LH; Campagnolo and a few others (e.g. Miche, Gipiemme, Phil Wood) are 1.32" x24tpi LH.

There is a miniscule difference, but it is a difference and I once heard that St Sheldon once said something along the lines that while ISO, English and Italian are all semi-interchangeable, it is not guaranteed to work every time.
That's actually referring to the thread angle on the sprocket thread, not the lockring. ISO and English threads are cut at a 60° angle, while Italian threads are cut at a 55° angle:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
thread-angle.jpg (92.9 KB, 34 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-25-21, 05:21 AM
geeteeiii

Bikes: HVZ Meteor 1979, HVZ Champion 1962, HVZ SS Moskva80 1981, Dürkopp 1936

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 69 Posts
I got a Miche 18T single piece cog and lock ring on my Gipiemme hub with italian threads. Great quality stuff for very cheap.
Old 03-25-21, 06:41 AM
Gods lonely man

Talking about lockrings, I wish more manufacturers used the bottom bracket style like Ridea uses, is so easy to apply force with a bottom bracket tool than the normal lockring style.

Last edited by Gods lonely man; 03-25-21 at 06:47 AM.
Likes For Gods lonely man:
Old 03-25-21, 08:22 AM
Gods lonely man

Guys I just find what was the issue , but I may be to embarrassed to post it here
Old 03-25-21, 09:55 AM
Rolla

Guys I just find what was the issue , but I may be to embarrassed to post it here
Spacer hiding behind the cog? Do tell!
Old 03-25-21, 10:58 AM
Gods lonely man

Originally Posted by Rolla
Spacer hiding behind the cog? Do tell!
OMG you are the real deal, that was it haha, I guess I was too hipped for riding the wheelset that I didn't saw the "spacer", looks like a bottom bracket ring, my guess is that the previous owner wanted a straight chain line? Here are some pics, please don't judge me haha.

oh hi! you can guess my face when i saw this -_-

Fixed it, would be nice to use an Italian threat cog but the English threaded ones work too.
Likes For Gods lonely man:
Old 03-25-21, 11:07 AM
Rolla

OMG you are the real deal, that was it haha, I guess I was too hipped for riding the wheelset that I didn't saw the "spacer", looks like a bottom bracket ring, my guess is that the previous owner wanted a straight chain line? Here are some pics, please don't judge me haha.

oh hi! you can guess my face when i saw this -_-
LOL - glad the solution was that easy!