Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sheldon Brown's "five and five" bicycle.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 06:29 AM
duca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I posted this in another forum with no luck so I'll try general. I'm curious about Sheldon Brown's "five and five" bicycle:Do I understand correctly that it had five cogs on each side? I see only a left side cluster.

How did it transfer the drive side. I assume one side had higher ratios.
Old 10-26-16, 07:26 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Uh... Shelbroco was Sheldon's line of humorous products where you'd find stuff like a saddle for 'real men' -- made out of rock. Or wheels that used geomagnetism for propulsion. Look here:
Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Humor
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 10-26-16, 07:32 AM
deex

Bikes: Giant TCR SL 1, Niner Air 9, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If the OP believes that then he needs this!

The ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain Cleaning System
Likes For deex:
Old 10-26-16, 09:24 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Probably using Shelbroco's logic:

Driving the right side chain turns the wheel through the right side freewheel. But... that also turns the left side gears, which in turn transfer power to the crank via the left chainring. But... doing that simultaneously drives the chainring on the right.

IT'S LIKE FREE POWER!!!
Old 10-26-16, 11:01 AM
duca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, it did/does make sense to me. It seems five cogs on each side with a chain wheel aligned with the center cog would eliminate cross chaining. I thought that was the point so didn't realize it was intended as humorous.

There have been dual-chain bicycles. The trick is to switch the drive side. The idea still doesn't seem outlandish to me, but weight and cost would be factors.
Old 10-26-16, 11:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,535 Times in 7,328 Posts
Absent BF for more than 9 yeas and you come back with this?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-26-16, 11:13 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by duca
Actually, it did/does make sense to me. It seems five cogs on each side with a chain wheel aligned with the center cog would eliminate cross chaining. I thought that was the point so didn't realize it was intended as humorous.

There have been dual-chain bicycles. The trick is to switch the drive side. The idea still doesn't seem outlandish to me, but weight and cost would be factors.
It was Sheldon at his wicked best, but dual chain bikes have been tried. Canadian Cycling champ, Jocelyn Lovell built a dual chain track bike. The right side had a large freewheel for starting, the left had a left threaded track cog that was left just started onto the threads. He would launch on the large cog, after a few wheel rotations, the track cog would tighten up on the threads and take over. the wheel would just out run the freewheel on the right side.

Bicycle Specialties: Two cranksets, two chains.
Old 10-26-16, 05:31 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sheldon wud be pleased.
Old 10-26-16, 05:43 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I never knew about these wonderful inventions.

Best thing I've read in ages.
Old 10-27-16, 05:54 AM
duca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
It was Sheldon at his wicked best, but dual chain bikes have been tried. Canadian Cycling champ, Jocelyn Lovell built a dual chain track bike. The right side had a large freewheel for starting, the left had a left threaded track cog that was left just started onto the threads. He would launch on the large cog, after a few wheel rotations, the track cog would tighten up on the threads and take over. the wheel would just out run the freewheel on the right side.

Bicycle Specialties: Two cranksets, two chains.
Thank you, I was aware of that bike. But has one been made that shifts the drive side left and right for geared riding? That bike seems to switch but once.

I'm looking to make something funky and a dual-chain bicycle would qualify. It's a visual thing, but it would also address cross-chaining.
Old 10-27-16, 07:47 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
This has to be a joke. The main reason is it is needless weight and complication.
Old 10-27-16, 08:49 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Uh... Shelbroco was Sheldon's line of humorous products where you'd find stuff like a saddle for 'real men' -- made out of rock. Or wheels that used geomagnetism for propulsion. Look here:
I read only one joke but the "How to camp anywhere" was pretty funny. I'll definitely be back for more.
Old 10-27-16, 09:13 AM
jorglueke

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1972 Schwinn SS

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
But if you had magnetic hubs rotating around copper spindles think of how much electricity you could generate that way!
Old 10-27-16, 03:12 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I loved his perpetual motion wheel-since it had 2 leading spokes to each trailing spoke, the excess tension was said to offer limitless forward propulsion. He even worked out some mumbo-jumbo math to support it....
Old 04-13-22, 11:33 PM
carhillclimb

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, I was aware of that bike. But has one been made that shifts the drive side left and right for geared riding? That bike seems to switch but once.

I'm looking to make something funky and a dual-chain bicycle would qualify. It's a visual thing, but it would also address cross-chaining.
​​​​​​--------------------------
Replying to an old thread, but I know of 3 bikes with chains on both sides that are not retro-direct. Bruce Ingle's bichain fixed-free:
sheldonbrown.com bichain-fixed-free.html
Sorry I am not allowed to actually include the url

My bike with a trials freewheel (120 engagement positions per 360 degrees) on the left "backdriving" the rider, and a multispeed freewheel or cassette on the right, emulating a multispeed fixed, albeit with serious issues. Either use a double sided fixed with actual freewheels, which allows you to use that stash of Atom/Regina sprockets, or get a 35x1 die and emulate Bruce Ingle on an ancient Shimano cassette hub. Or find an RS-RB3 band-brake Sturmey Archer hub (yes they existed, no I have never seen one, yes I want one).

My other bike has 2x10 on the right and shiftable fixed on the left. Left side fixed is S3X clutch and driver, with the S3X right ball cup shrink-fit into a custom aluminum hub. The right side is an ancient Shimano 7 speed cassette hub with the freehub mount "spline" section machined and pinned onto the custom hub, with a 10 speed road freehub body. You are on your own building another; I had a falling out with the machinist over a race car project and we do not talk any more.

There used to be left side freewheels for BMX bikes, although I believe they are out of production and I have never seen one, which is one problem with derailleurs both sides. The left side derailleurs will also be interesting to build.
Old 04-14-22, 07:16 AM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
i find this all very interesting. never knew it existed. looking at the zizzo folding bike website, i could swear in the first part of the promo that the large ring and chain were on the 'WRONG" side but just thought it was an optical illusion, now i'm not so sure.......
Old 04-14-22, 08:00 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by carhillclimb
​​​​​​--------------------------
Replying to an old thread, but I know of 3 bikes with chains on both sides that are not retro-direct. Bruce Ingle's bichain fixed-free:
sheldonbrown.com bichain-fixed-free.html
Sorry I am not allowed to actually include the url

My bike with a trials freewheel (120 engagement positions per 360 degrees) on the left "backdriving" the rider, and a multispeed freewheel or cassette on the right, emulating a multispeed fixed, albeit with serious issues. Either use a double sided fixed with actual freewheels, which allows you to use that stash of Atom/Regina sprockets, or get a 35x1 die and emulate Bruce Ingle on an ancient Shimano cassette hub. Or find an RS-RB3 band-brake Sturmey Archer hub (yes they existed, no I have never seen one, yes I want one).

My other bike has 2x10 on the right and shiftable fixed on the left. Left side fixed is S3X clutch and driver, with the S3X right ball cup shrink-fit into a custom aluminum hub. The right side is an ancient Shimano 7 speed cassette hub with the freehub mount "spline" section machined and pinned onto the custom hub, with a 10 speed road freehub body. You are on your own building another; I had a falling out with the machinist over a race car project and we do not talk any more.

There used to be left side freewheels for BMX bikes, although I believe they are out of production and I have never seen one, which is one problem with derailleurs both sides. The left side derailleurs will also be interesting to build.
The Sheldon Brown link you showed:
Bichain Fixed/Free Bicycle Drive

I got the idea for a bichain drive from "The Dancing Chain " a while ago, finally had some time to get it working on Friday and took it out for an 80-mile ride Sunday...so now I have a working bike with 37" freewheel, 70" fixed and 94" fixed gears, all selectable with a single lever. It's quite fun to ride.
Old 04-14-22, 11:02 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
The Sheldon Brown link you showed:
Bichain Fixed/Free Bicycle Drive

I got the idea for a bichain drive from "The Dancing Chain " a while ago, finally had some time to get it working on Friday and took it out for an 80-mile ride Sunday...so now I have a working bike with 37" freewheel, 70" fixed and 94" fixed gears, all selectable with a single lever. It's quite fun to ride.
Cool! I've set up two fix gears for real mountain riding but they are both "stick shift", the stick being a wrench that I have to stop to use. Like 100+ years ago.

First is my logo photo bike. (Dean of Cycle Oregon got a great shot of it!) Double sided track hub, cogs 12 to 24 teeth and a lightweight cog wrench (on the top tube; you can see the Pedros Trixie hub wrench + spanner under the seat bag and the 12 tooth cog - barely - hanging from the other side of the toolbag.

Next and more ambitious project, my Peter Mooney with its triple chainline. Triple 1/8" crankset, usually set up 46-42-36 and in back, the same hub, only now with a "dingle", 1/8" 17 and 21 tooth cogs. On the other side, I put on whatever cog will be best for the descents that day. All three cogs sit different distances outboard and each lines up exactly with its appropriate chainring. Lets say I run a 13. THat gives me: 46-13 (96"), 42-17 (67" and 36-21 (46) and if I really want to go lower I can swap the dingle for a 24 (41).

Next and more ambitious project, my Peter Mooney with its triple chainlines. Triple 1/8" crankset, usually set up 46-42-36 and in back, the same hub, only now with a "dingle", 1/8" 17 and 21 tooth cogs. On the other side, I put on whatever cog will be best for the descents that day. All three cogs sit different distances outboard and each lines up exactly with its appropriate chainring. Lets say I run a 13. That gives me: 46-13 (96"), 42-17 (67" and 36-21 (46) and if I really want to go lower I can swap the dingle for a 24 (41). The "dingle" is a 21 tooth cog flipped around. The 17 tooth has the inside drilled out so it slides over the inboard portion ot the 21 (now facing out). There is a spacer between and the three are brazed together.

I don't have a photo yet for the Mooney. I'm staying digital camera free but the bike's being repainted so I'll have the painter photograph the bare frame and ride by later on the finished bike and see if He'll do that also.

Edit: That little crankset - I rode the Mt. Washington hill climb long ago on a TA crankset with the outer ring cut down to to the small BCD circle with a 28 tooth bolted to it. Almost exactly what you've got. 13-21 5-speed in back. Just about perfect for my conditioning at the time and that hill. (Better would have been a 6-speed with a 12 or 11. That first half mile of flat on the 28-13 was a lot of revolutions!)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 04-14-22 at 11:11 AM.