Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Food choices while bikepacking

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Food choices while bikepacking

Old 08-08-21, 09:10 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
I've considered dropping the stove as I eat in restaurants a lot and also often default to hard cheese, salami and flat bread. However, I do like a cup of tea and there are those times when you are camping that a hot meal is really welcome. So I do carry a small cooking kit consisting of an alcohol stove, mug, lighter, cloth, windscreen and tea bags and a collapsible cup that fit in s small mesh bag and a bottle of fuel and a spork. It's enough to make tea, soup, oatmeal and couscous.

I also have a superlight setup although not alcohol. If I were going to a cold wet place, it earns a spot.

I am considering a hike thru the White Mountains in September, I would certain have a stove at that time but normally I have carried a stove on the bike and not used it. There is no question a stove kept me out of hypothermia on an early season tour of NZ.
Old 08-08-21, 09:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
No minimalist cook am I. But I did recently get that titanium spork to lighten the load.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-08-21, 10:23 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Ok, photo time.

I can't imagine camping without a means to make hot coffee in the morning, even if it is only instant. The plastic bottle (vintage) in the upper right corner with the green lid on it nests perfectly in my coffee mug, that holds my instant coffee.

The small mug with a red handle is single wall, it can also be used as a tiny pot for pasta sauce. Or, as a second mug for hot cereal while also drinking coffee out of the other mug.

That windscreen is a bit short, works better with liquid fuel stoves that sit much lower than with butane stoves.

Do not forget the cork screw,
Old 08-08-21, 10:45 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Ok, photo time.

I can't imagine camping without a means to make hot coffee in the morning, even if it is only instant. The plastic bottle (vintage) in the upper right corner with the green lid on it nests perfectly in my coffee mug, that holds my instant coffee.

The small mug with a red handle is single wall, it can also be used as a tiny pot for pasta sauce. Or, as a second mug for hot cereal while also drinking coffee out of the other mug.

That windscreen is a bit short, works better with liquid fuel stoves that sit much lower than with butane stoves.

Do not forget the cork screw,
Oops. Not pictured is my Bodum Travel Press combination French press/mug and my lightweight corkscrew. I didn’t have the latter because I would not have access to wine.
Old 08-08-21, 10:46 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
...I can't imagine camping without a means to make hot coffee in the morning, even if it is only instant. ...,

used to carry a plastic filter cone for ground coffee. no paper liner needed.

neato! they even come in collapsible space-saving version nowadays.

https://www.amazon.com/Genrics-Dripp...ef=sr_1_3_sspa
Old 08-08-21, 01:32 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by saddlesores
used to carry a plastic filter cone for ground coffee. no paper liner needed.

neato! they even come in collapsible space-saving version nowadays.

https://www.amazon.com/Genrics-Dripp...ef=sr_1_3_sspa
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a couple things quite similar to that, but bike touring I find that instant is adequate. And it is less cleanup when I am trying to get on the road before the traffic does.

I have a one liter sized lexan french press (GSI brand) that I bring on canoe trips, that works pretty well.
Old 08-08-21, 02:44 PM
indyfabz

I have a one liter sized lexan french press (GSI brand) that I bring on canoe trips, that works pretty well.
That’s a lot of coffee! I’m good with my 15 Oz. Just enough to get things moving.
Old 08-08-21, 03:14 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by indyfabz
That’s a lot of coffee! I’m good with my 15 Oz. Just enough to get things moving.
The one liter french press was for two people. My camping partner was a real coffee snob. No instant for him.

Was a might bit chilly in the morning, frost on the coffee French press (the green thing). But, a bit of boiling water in it to melt the ice that as holding the plunger in and I could open it up and get things going.

Solo trips, I always just used instant. And the bike tours that I did with a former co-worker, he did not drink coffee, so instant worked for those trips too.
Old 08-09-21, 06:37 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
A few years ago we tried this Stanley French press. You boil water in it and also use it as a press so it eliminates carrying one thing. It's a little heavier than our backpacking stuff but since it saves carrying another item, it's worth the trade off in weight and bulk. Typically rides on a fork leg when we're off road.
Old 08-09-21, 10:05 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by veloz
A few years ago we tried this Stanley French press. You boil water in it and also use it as a press so it eliminates carrying one thing. It's a little heavier than our backpacking stuff but since it saves carrying another item, it's worth the trade off in weight and bulk. Typically rides on a fork leg when we're off road.
Several years ago I recall seeing a titanium French press, perhaps by Snow Peak? REI had it with a steep discount on sale. I thought about it but decided that I would rather keep using a wider flatter pot for my water boiling.

Some of my stoves have a much wider burner that does not favor the skinny pots,but your stove looks like it puts all the heat in the middle which would work well with a skinny pot. That looks like an older generation Pocket Rocket.

I like a wider burner for more viscous foods like soup or a can of chili, less likely to burn a spot on the middle of the pot.

In the photo, I am moving my small pot (which is a small mug) with pasta sauce and the larger pot with my noodles back and forth on my one burner, trying to heat up both simultaneously.

The bigger pot is what I use for just about everything when one pot is enough for the meal.

Both of these pots are above in the photo in post 28, the bigger one in that photo has the Evernew lid on it. But that photo has a different stove.