Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hi! Need help replacing totaled bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-19-21, 11:58 AM
Ride for Pizza

Bikes: 2007 LeMond Chambery (deceased)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello from Philadelphia Suburbs!

I've been riding seriously for about 14 years and had the same bike ('07 LeMond Chamberry) for 13 of those years. Alas, in August a truck pulled right out in front of me while going 20+ mph so now I need to replace my bike. Mainly into endurance/distance riding, the furthest I ever rode in 1 day was 187 miles, and I want to break 200.

From what I have been reading, I am very interested in a titanium frame, but I have never ridden one. Does anyone know where (close-ish) to Philadelphia I would be able to test ride a titanium frame?

Thanks!
Old 11-19-21, 03:32 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Thread moved from Introductions to General Cycling.

Old 11-19-21, 03:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
I live in Philly. Nowhere comes to mind. Pandemic aside. Maybe search for the closest Litespeed dealer.

https://litespeed.com/apps/store-locator
Old 11-19-21, 03:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride for Pizza
Hello from Philadelphia Suburbs!

I've been riding seriously for about 14 years and had the same bike ('07 LeMond Chamberry) for 13 of those years. Alas, in August a truck pulled right out in front of me while going 20+ mph so now I need to replace my bike. Mainly into endurance/distance riding, the furthest I ever rode in 1 day was 187 miles, and I want to break 200.

From what I have been reading, I am very interested in a titanium frame, but I have never ridden one. Does anyone know where (close-ish) to Philadelphia I would be able to test ride a titanium frame?

Thanks!

No idea, but are you a solo rider? How long did it take you to ride the 187 miles? Longest I've ever managed was 168 miles, so I'm always curious about people who are even more distance crazy than I am.
Old 11-19-21, 04:07 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I live in Philly. Nowhere comes to mind. Pandemic aside. Maybe search for the closest Litespeed dealer.

https://litespeed.com/apps/store-locator
This or Moots I'd guess. I think Moots has a demo program of some sort
Old 11-19-21, 04:24 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Do you have any interest in used framesets?
Old 11-19-21, 05:23 PM
Ride for Pizza

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
No idea, but are you a solo rider? How long did it take you to ride the 187 miles? Longest I've ever managed was 168 miles, so I'm always curious about people who are even more distance crazy than I am.
I did the 187 at the Adirondack cycling club 12 hour time trial. It was a 40 some mile loop with 1 or 2 water stations and I had a cooler with drinks and food at the central spot. Wanted at least some support for that distance. Did you do 168 totally solo? Very impressive.
Likes For Ride for Pizza:
Old 11-19-21, 06:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Ride for Pizza
I did the 187 at the Adirondack cycling club 12 hour time trial. It was a 40 some mile loop with 1 or 2 water stations and I had a cooler with drinks and food at the central spot. Wanted at least some support for that distance. Did you do 168 totally solo? Very impressive.

Yup. On a hybrid. Stopped for two meals and a snack on the way. Hope you get the double century!
Old 11-19-21, 06:43 PM
Ride for Pizza

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Do you have any interest in used framesets?
Open to the idea, but still hesitant to buy anything without actually knowing how Ti rides. A lot of conflicting things out there.
Old 11-19-21, 07:30 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I have owned two Habanero ti bikes. First one was the Road Classic, the second one is the Cyclocross. Two different rides for sure, one a go faster bike and the other, to my preference, an all day long rider. I like a longer wheelbase and stability. The Road Classic is without question a race bike and it performed that way, the Cyclocross is just that, a stable platform for all road types.
The design of the bike is most important, more important than the material it is made from. Now on to the similarities to high quality steel. Both bikes have the same "zing" of high end steel in their categories. If you have ridden a top shelf steel frame, not mid-grade tubing, but the best stuff available be it European or Japanese or USA made tubing, then you have an idea of how titanium rides. That same feeling of life under your butt. Something very different from carbon or aluminum.
One thing to note. The ti frames I owned are straight gauge. Seven makes frames from butted tubing and I have ridden them. Never owned one, but the rides I have had on them were simply excellent, and I will say a step above the Habaneros. Of course this comes with a large price tag!
Find someone with a sweet steel bike and ride it.
Old 11-19-21, 08:35 PM
Ride for Pizza

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I have owned two Habanero ti bikes. First one was the Road Classic, the second one is the Cyclocross. Two different rides for sure, one a go faster bike and the other, to my preference, an all day long rider. I like a longer wheelbase and stability. The Road Classic is without question a race bike and it performed that way, the Cyclocross is just that, a stable platform for all road types.
The design of the bike is most important, more important than the material it is made from. Now on to the similarities to high quality steel. Both bikes have the same "zing" of high end steel in their categories. If you have ridden a top shelf steel frame, not mid-grade tubing, but the best stuff available be it European or Japanese or USA made tubing, then you have an idea of how titanium rides. That same feeling of life under your butt. Something very different from carbon or aluminum.
One thing to note. The ti frames I owned are straight gauge. Seven makes frames from butted tubing and I have ridden them. Never owned one, but the rides I have had on them were simply excellent, and I will say a step above the Habaneros. Of course this comes with a large price tag!
Find someone with a sweet steel bike and ride it.
Only things I've ridden in over a decade have been my carbon/aluminum LeMond and an all carbon bike on vacation (forget the brand).

I keep reading about the "zing", can you compare it to carbon or aluminum? Don't suppose you live near Philly or Pittsburgh and want to let me borrow for a quick ride?
Old 11-20-21, 02:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,345 Posts
I doubt that the change to titanium will push you over 200 miles. It means either riding faster and/or riding longer. GOOD LIGHTS!!!

But, @Jimmy Wisdom's bike looks mighty SWEET!!!
Old 11-22-21, 12:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I doubt that the change to titanium will push you over 200 miles. It means either riding faster and/or riding longer. GOOD LIGHTS!!!

But, @Jimmy Wisdom's bike looks mighty SWEET!!!

I gotta think a guy who's ridden 187 miles is going to have a better idea of what will or won't take him over 200 than you or me!
Old 11-22-21, 12:40 PM
indyfabz

Sorry, but no one but me rides my super fly, made-in-Philly, titanium jawn.
Old 11-22-21, 12:41 PM
indyfabz

I gotta think a guy who's ridden 187 miles is going to have a better idea of what will or won't take him over 200 than you or me!
Speak for yourself, but I know it's 13+ miles.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-22-21, 12:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Speak for yourself, but I know it's 13+ miles.
I hear the best strategy for winning a football game is to score more points than the other team.
Old 11-22-21, 01:29 PM
indyfabz

I hear the best strategy for winning a football game is to score more points than the other team.
Yep. If you try to not score fewer points than the other team you could end up in a tie.
Old 11-22-21, 01:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,345 Posts
A couple of years ago I was semi-regularly riding to and from Portland which would take me a minimum of about 145 miles, and as high as about 190 miles. Up one day, a few days in Portland, then another century plus back in less than a week.

I did push it over 200 miles on at least 2 occasions, maybe 3. Not that common, but not impossible.

I've done 100 to 180 mile rides on a variety of bikes.
https://www.bikeforums.net/19942124-post9.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/19516290-post1005.html

For a couple of reasons, I think the Titanium bike got some of the shorter "century" rides.

I'm not 100% sure which bikes I rode for the double centuries. I think the first might have been the Colnago C40, and the second one may have been the Jamis Coda (chromoly).

You're right, I can't judge exactly what another person needs for a bike to ride a double century.

But, the main key is the person pushing the pedals, and spending time on the bike.

I have heard of people that would ride, say four 50 mile loops around their house. That won't work for me. So, it is either a one-way trip, or a long out and back trip or loop. Sometimes doing an extra 5 miles or so around the neighborhood while avoiding my house (if I go home for a second, I don't get back on the bike).

Perhaps there was one ride that I got a late start for my century plus to Portland. Slept for a few hours, then got in a short group ride before I hit 24 hours.
Old 11-22-21, 02:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by CliffordK
A couple of years ago I was semi-regularly riding to and from Portland which would take me a minimum of about 145 miles, and as high as about 190 miles. Up one day, a few days in Portland, then another century plus back in less than a week.

I did push it over 200 miles on at least 2 occasions, maybe 3. Not that common, but not impossible.

I've done 100 to 180 mile rides on a variety of bikes.
https://www.bikeforums.net/19942124-post9.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/19516290-post1005.html

For a couple of reasons, I think the Titanium bike got some of the shorter "century" rides.

I'm not 100% sure which bikes I rode for the double centuries. I think the first might have been the Colnago C40, and the second one may have been the Jamis Coda (chromoly).

You're right, I can't judge exactly what another person needs for a bike to ride a double century.

But, the main key is the person pushing the pedals, and spending time on the bike.

I have heard of people that would ride, say four 50 mile loops around their house. That won't work for me. So, it is either a one-way trip, or a long out and back trip or loop. Sometimes doing an extra 5 miles or so around the neighborhood while avoiding my house (if I go home for a second, I don't get back on the bike).

Perhaps there was one ride that I got a late start for my century plus to Portland. Slept for a few hours, then got in a short group ride before I hit 24 hours.

I wasn't challenging your credentials, I'm just saying this guy has enough experience that he's going to figure out the last little push he needs to get over 200 than we are and we don't need to tell him the needs to ride faster or longer, he obviously knows that. If he thinks the TI bike will motivate him or whatever, I'm going to defer to his judgment. Not for nothing, BTW, he didn't actually claim that in the OP..
Old 11-22-21, 02:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,903 Times in 2,539 Posts
Many years ago I rode 175 mile loops solo just like my long day race training rides, just longer. 2 WBs and an extra package of sport drink or two, 2 PB, cheese and honey sandwiches. ~50 miles to go I stopped for coffee and a pastry. Now, I was an in-form bike racer at the time. 120 miles or more with a 2000' hill midway was my mid-week norm. Also I drank zero caffeine and ate zero sucrose in those days so a cup of black coffee and sugar was rocket fuel good for 50 miles.

Edit: to the topic - titanium. Yes, but titanium bikes vary a lot. My ride above were done on a 1970s race bike that was basically for criteriums but that had good road wheels. It fit me perfectly. In more recent years I've ridden 130 miles on both my ti bikes. Both custom with right-on fit. Both with roughly stiff 1980s steel race bike feel. Decidedly NOT endurance geometry. Good rides and comfortable to the end.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 11-22-21 at 02:26 PM.