Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ignorance is bliss, kind of

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-17-21, 03:37 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts

I will be buying a new bike shortly as soon as I get my size sorted out. My LBS is helping me out with that. But in the meanwhile, whilst I wait, I was looking at the parts I plan to change out immediately for personal preference (tires, saddle, wheels) and I realized something.

I started riding (and wrenching) about 3 years ago to commute to school. I'm not in school anymore but I still commute to work and go on joyrides on the weekends. I built my first bike from the frame up 3 years ago (when I really shouldn't have - I had no clue what I was doing and probably wasted a lot of time and money buying things that I hoped would fit). In these last 3 years, I've expanded my skills and knowledge tremendously, built, bought, and sold probably 2 dozen bikes, kept at least 2 "forever" bikes, and have accumulated an ever-growing spare parts bin.

And this is where the ignorance bit comes in. 3 years ago, I didn't really research what the most appropriate tires for commuting would be, I simply bought the cheapest (Vittoria Rubino Pro G for $30 a pair). It's a miracle the saddle I bought actually fit my butt and is one I continue to buy and use on any new bikes. If it was cheap and the long list of measurements and numbers in the specs seemed to match, I bought it. Comparatively, now, with my new bike, I spend a stupid amount of time researching the best tires, the cushiest handlebar tape, price-to-preformance groupsets, frame specs, geometries, and other things I never considered with my first build.

I'm very happy that I've learned much more about bicycles and it's become a hobby I greatly enjoy. But at the same time, I miss when I knew nothing and spent 5 minutes choosing parts instead of 5 days.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by sdimattia; 11-17-21 at 04:18 PM.
Likes For sdimattia:
Old 11-17-21, 03:40 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Simple solution .... only buy bike parts when blind drunk.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-17-21, 03:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by sdimattia
I will be buying a new bike shortly as soon as I get my size sorted out. My LBS is helping me out with that. But in the meanwhile, whilst I wait, I was looking at the parts I plan to change out immediately for personal preference (tires, saddle, wheels) and I realized something.

I started riding (and wrenching) about 3 years ago to commute to school. I'm not in school anymore but I still commute to work and go on joyrides on the weekends. I built my first bike from the frame up 3 years ago (when I really shouldn't have - I had no clue what I was doing and probably wasted a lot of time and money buying things that I hoped would fit). In these last 3 years, I've expanded my skills and knowledge tremendously, built, bought, and sold probably 2 dozen bikes, kept at least 2 "forever" bikes, and have accumulated an ever-growing spare parts bin.

And this is where the ignorance bit comes in. 3 years ago, I didn't really research what the most appropriate tires tires for commuting would be, I simply bought the cheapest (Vittoria Rubino Pro G for $30 a pair). It's a miracle the saddle I bought actually fit my butt and is one I continue to buy and use on any new bikes. If it was cheap and the long list of measurements and numbers in the specs seemed to match, I bought it. Comparatively, now, with my new bike, I spend a stupid amount of time researching the best tires, the cushiest handlebar tape, price-to-preformance groupsets, frame specs, geometries, and other things I never considered with my first build.

I'm very happy that I've learned much more about bicycles and it's become a hobby I greatly enjoy. But at the same time, I miss that time when I knew nothing and spent 5 minutes choosing parts instead of 5 days.

Thanks for your time.
Then spent 5 days trying to make it fit.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-17-21, 03:54 PM
sdimattia

Originally Posted by genejockey
Then spent 5 days trying to make it fit.
Nah, that's why the parts bin has gotten so large . . .
Likes For sdimattia:
Old 11-17-21, 03:57 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts

And this is where the ignorance bit comes in. 3 years ago, I didn't really research what the most appropriate tires tires for commuting would be, I simply bought the cheapest (Vittoria Rubino Pro G for $30 a pair). It's a miracle the saddle I bought actually fit my butt and is one I continue to buy and use on any new bikes. If it was cheap and the long list of measurements and numbers in the specs seemed to match, I bought it. Comparatively, now, with my new bike, I spend a stupid amount of time researching the best tires, the cushiest handlebar tape, price-to-preformance groupsets, frame specs, geometries, and other things I never considered with my first build.

I'm very happy that I've learned much more about bicycles and it's become a hobby I greatly enjoy. But at the same time, I miss that time when I knew nothing and spent 5 minutes choosing parts instead of 5 days.

Thanks for your time.
The saddle is a good illustration. You used what you had and it was fine. Folks get (they think) a little "knowledge" and they start obsessing about a mm of crank length, a degree or two of HT angle, whether or not they have a 17t cog in their 11 speed cassette.... Often these are people who don't even ride significant distance. The point is, spend only as much time as you enjoy researching this stuff.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-17-21, 04:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The saddle is a good illustration. You used what you had and it was fine. Folks get (they think) a little "knowledge" and they start obsessing about a mm of crank length, a degree or two of HT angle, whether or not they have a 17t cog in their 11 speed cassette.... Often these are people who don't even ride significant distance. The point is, spend only as much time as you enjoy researching this stuff.
My first road bike became a hodge-podge of semi-compatible parts, which I was really proud of until I took a test ride on what became my SECOND road bike, which had all matching bits and just worked SO MUCH BETTER.

So, 25 years later, I stripped the first road bike of its incompatible bits and built the whole groupset around the original brake levers and calipers.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-17-21, 04:50 PM
sdimattia

My first road bike became a hodge-podge of semi-compatible parts, which I was really proud of until I took a test ride on what became my SECOND road bike, which had all matching bits and just worked SO MUCH BETTER.

So, 25 years later, I stripped the first road bike of its incompatible bits and built the whole groupset around the original brake levers and calipers.
Dang, you've kept your first road bike longer than I've been alive . . . My first bike was a low end hi-ten track frame that I spread the dropouts from 120mm to 135mm to shove an Alfine 8sp IGH in. Did it work? Yes. Was it safe? Probably not.
Onwards to better things it seems. It's nice though, moving parts from one frame to another, a true testament to the progress that you can kind of see happening before you.
Old 11-17-21, 04:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Dang, you've kept your first road bike longer than I've been alive . . . My first bike was a low end hi-ten track frame that I spread the dropouts from 120mm to 135mm to shove an Alfine 8sp IGH in. Did it work? Yes. Was it safe? Probably not.
Onwards to better things it seems. It's nice though, moving parts from one frame to another, a true testament to the progress that you can kind of see happening before you.
Not only that, I bought it when I was already significantly older than you are now.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-17-21, 05:18 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Just today I had a really nice, relaxing ride on my 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, and was thinking about this very thing. I posted about the ride and the bike in the general discussion forum, with the subject about being more casual and relaxed when it comes to bikes and riding. It reinforced the true reason I love riding bikes, the escape of everyday stressors, and the mental/physical outlet, and the feeling of freedom. There is a lot to be said for just jumping on a bike and going where ever, for however long, with no concern of ego building, just the pleasure of riding a bike.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 11-17-21, 05:41 PM
sdimattia

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Just today I had a really nice, relaxing ride on my 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, and was thinking about this very thing. I posted about the ride and the bike in the general discussion forum, with the subject about being more casual and relaxed when it comes to bikes and riding. It reinforced the true reason I love riding bikes, the escape of everyday stressors, and the mental/physical outlet, and the feeling of freedom. There is a lot to be said for just jumping on a bike and going where ever, for however long, with no concern of ego building, just the pleasure of riding a bike.
I saw your original post, nice bike and nice ride!

You are lucky to live somewhere you can easily go out for ride to decompress. I wish I did! Unfortunately, NYC is not the most relaxing place to cycle but on those early morning Sunday rides before the city really starts up, I understand the sentiment. Happy riding!
Likes For sdimattia:
Old 11-17-21, 05:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
..... I bought it when I was already significantly older than you are now.
If we keep letting information like this slip out, we will get renamed "Geriatric World" and "Fifty Plus" will become "Youth Activities Page."

Bike Forums ..... Sponsored by AARP ....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-17-21, 06:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Maelochs
If we keep letting information like this slip out, we will get renamed "Geriatric World" and "Fifty Plus" will become "Youth Activities Page."

I can see the topics - "Anyone Else Put Ensure In Their Bottles?" or "Why Doesn't Trek Have A Senior Discount?" or "Looking For A Flattish Century For 'Ride My Age'"

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-17-21, 06:49 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Simple solution .... only buy bike parts when blind drunk.
But then when the stuff gets delivered and I don't recall why I bought it, and I'm not even always sure about which bike it was for?
Old 11-17-21, 07:16 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts

Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-18-21, 08:14 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
But then when the stuff gets delivered and I don't recall why I bought it, and I'm not even always sure about which bike it was for?
I'll most likely become one of those guys who goes out for a bike ride, but I'll forget where I was headed to and I'll just keep riding until eventually it gets dark and I'm three states away.

Or three counties. This will be on my bike, because my family will have already taken away my car keys by then!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 11-21-21, 10:42 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I can see the topics - "Anyone Else Put Ensure In Their Bottles?" or "Why Doesn't Trek Have A Senior Discount?" or "Looking For A Flattish Century For 'Ride My Age'"
Ohhhhhhhh, now there is something to strive for - matching my age with distance. I will have to up my game.
Old 11-22-21, 05:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
" Stool Softener: Before or After the Ride?"
Old 11-23-21, 02:22 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
my favorite is when one of us buys something then posts about it & asks what everyone thinks of it. instead of doing so before buying it
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-23-21, 03:00 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
" Stool Softener: Before or After the Ride?"
Always, Depends... on how hard ya ride.
Old 11-24-21, 12:02 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts

I just started posting a little bit in P&R. At age 50, i feel like a young whippersnapper in there
Old 11-24-21, 12:03 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
my favorite is when one of us buys something then posts about it & asks what everyone thinks of it. instead of doing so before buying it

We need validation and quiet applause from the gallery
Likes For DMC707: