Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New to cycling, equipment questions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New to cycling, equipment questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-21, 10:52 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Agree to disagree that we are not in agreement.

John
Old 11-22-21, 01:01 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
What OP actually said: "[color=#222222]I am just looking for some advice on some gear that I might need. I will need to buy a bike but I am looking for any information or advice on indoor trainers, power meters and anything else helpful!"

Please notice the word "might". "Bike" is in the need category, everything else is in the "might need" category.

"You probably don't need that yet" is perfectly reasonable advice, may be helpful, and is responsive to the OP's inquiry.
Well that was my point actually. When someone says they might need something and asks for information about that something, then telling them they probably don't need it is pretty pointless advice. Depending on where you live and personal preferences, an indoor trainer is actually a perfectly reasonable way to start cycling in the winter months. I benefit massively from indoor cycling at this time of year, as do many others. But we don't know anything about the OP's preferences other than they specifically mentioned indoor trainers, so that might just be a clue.
Old 11-22-21, 01:03 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by wolfchild
A new cyclist should spend a minimum of 2 years in the saddle to build some basic fitness and endurance and to see if they enjoy cycling and if it`s for them...before investing in expensive training equipment....99% of cyclists don`t even need a power meter.
Polarised nonsense as usual.
Old 11-22-21, 01:09 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by SquishyBiker
I loath indoor trainers.

Get outside, get appropriate riding gear, get some good quality flashing front and rear lights, and just ride...
Again just because YOU loathe indoor trainers doesn't mean everyone else does too. They are definitely not for everyone, but I wouldn't dismiss them based on this kind of personal view. It's one of those things you just have to decide for yourself. Obviously people who loathe indoor trainers are forced to ride outdoors in whatever weather conditions or not ride at all for potentially months at a time. I agree with the flashing lights though!
Old 11-22-21, 01:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Well that was my point actually. When someone says they might need something and asks for information about that something, then telling them they probably don't need it is pretty pointless advice. Depending on where you live and personal preferences, an indoor trainer is actually a perfectly reasonable way to start cycling in the winter months. I benefit massively from indoor cycling at this time of year, as do many others. But we don't know anything about the OP's preferences other than they specifically mentioned indoor trainers, so that might just be a clue.

We've had this argument before, so I'm not going to belabor it, but I totally disagree with you. Telling someone that most people don't get that stuff until they've actually been riding and have decided they want to do it is actually good and useful information--it might save them from incurring pointless expense being incurred under false assumptions of necessity. And I don't think I'd necessarily tell someone to go get expensive trainer equipment so they can try cycling out in the winter as I don't think the experiences of indoor and outdoor cycling really have all that much to do with each other. So yes, if OP comes back and says "I rode a few hundred miles this year and fell in love with it so much that I want to be able to start next year's biking season with a flying start", I'd probably move onto trainer advice, but if this is a person who just wants to try cycling and doesn't know whether they're actually going to like it, I don't think I'd tell them that riding indoors for several months is going to be a good way of making that determination, and maybe they should wait until spring before they start buying cycling specific stuff.

And that's not even accounting for the obvious factor that this is probably the worst year in recent memory for buying bikes AND home fitness equipment.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-22-21, 01:42 PM
PeteHski

We've had this argument before, so I'm not going to belabor it, but I totally disagree with you. Telling someone that most people don't get that stuff until they've actually been riding and have decided they want to do it is actually good and useful information--it might save them from incurring pointless expense being incurred under false assumptions of necessity. And I don't think I'd necessarily tell someone to go get expensive trainer equipment so they can try cycling out in the winter as I don't think the experiences of indoor and outdoor cycling really have all that much to do with each other. So yes, if OP comes back and says "I rode a few hundred miles this year and fell in love with it so much that I want to be able to start next year's biking season with a flying start", I'd probably move onto trainer advice, but if this is a person who just wants to try cycling and doesn't know whether they're actually going to like it, I don't think I'd tell them that riding indoors for several months is going to be a good way of making that determination, and maybe they should wait until spring before they start buying cycling specific stuff.

And that's not even accounting for the obvious factor that this is probably the worst year in recent memory for buying bikes AND home fitness equipment.
Well if the OP hadn't mentioned indoor trainers himself then I certainly wouldn't have suggested buying one. But he did specifically ask for advice about trainers and was probably more interested in hearing about the various options, pros/cons etc than simply being told "you probably don't need one" which is just stating the obvious based entirely on personal preference.
Old 11-22-21, 01:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Well if the OP hadn't mentioned indoor trainers himself then I certainly wouldn't have suggested buying one. But he did specifically ask for advice about trainers and was probably more interested in hearing about the various options, pros/cons etc than simply being told "you probably don't need one" which is just stating the obvious based entirely on personal preference.

You and I have a very different understanding of the word "specifically".

You may think it's "obvious" that people can start cycling without a trainer, I'd say that the phrase "might need" indicated that OP had some uncertainty about it. And I hate to break it to you, but "pros/cons" are based entirely on personal preferences as well.
The whole reason for asking people on forums is to get their perspectives, which is obviously going to involve their own preferences.

BTW, I don't ride a trainer in the winter here, I use an elliptical, which gives me a far tougher (efficient) workout. I don't think it's at all obvious that some cyclists actually work out on something else than a trainer or a spin bike or whatever in the off-season.
Old 11-22-21, 02:31 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
OP really does not give any information that would allow us to be helpful. I am of the school, "buy once cry once". Since it appears he is in the Northern Hemisphere, I would recommend buying a bike and a good trainer, if funds allow. Spend the winter acclimating your butt to the saddle. A good local bike shop is probably your best bet, if funds allow. Otherwise, buy a quality used bike and stick it onto a trainer.
Old 11-22-21, 02:41 PM
PeteHski

You and I have a very different understanding of the word "specifically".

You may think it's "obvious" that people can start cycling without a trainer, I'd say that the phrase "might need" indicated that OP had some uncertainty about it. And I hate to break it to you, but "pros/cons" are based entirely on personal preferences as well.
The whole reason for asking people on forums is to get their perspectives, which is obviously going to involve their own preferences.

BTW, I don't ride a trainer in the winter here, I use an elliptical, which gives me a far tougher (efficient) workout. I don't think it's at all obvious that some cyclists actually work out on something else than a trainer or a spin bike or whatever in the off-season.
I give up. OP - you probably don't need an indoor trainer okay. Maybe get an elliptical instead.

Seriously this is nuts. We have a high-end elliptical trainer too and it's a great workout. But whilst it is complimentary, it is nowhere near as effective as an indoor bike trainer for CYCLING fitness.
Old 11-22-21, 02:50 PM
PeteHski

And I hate to break it to you, but "pros/cons" are based entirely on personal preferences as well.
That's not how I view pros/cons. So we won't be agreeing here either.
Old 11-22-21, 03:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I give up. OP - you probably don't need an indoor trainer okay. Maybe get an elliptical instead.

Seriously this is nuts. We have a high-end elliptical trainer too and it's a great workout. But whilst it is complimentary, it is nowhere near as effective as an indoor bike trainer for CYCLING fitness.

Seriously, the OP hasn't given us enough information to know whether spending a bunch of money emphasizing CYCLING fitness in the off-season when he presumably isn't doing any cycling makes any sense.

You do get that some people, including myself, bicycle for fitness and aren't specifically tailoring our fitness for cycling, right? Neither of us have any idea what the OP is doing and what he intends to do. You're freaking out over people saying that they don't do it the way you do.

Again, I don't see why you think there's a higher burden of proof on people to say "you probably don't need a trainer at this point if you really haven't ridden a bike enough to know you like it" than for you to say "you probably need a trainer if you're Santa Claus at the North Pole (or whatever)."

We've had this exact same argument before--it's ok for people to say that they don't use x when people ask if they need x.
It's not some form of anti-elitist snobbery or whatever it was you accused me of in that conversation to do so, just offering a different perspective. You don't get a veto on this.
Old 11-22-21, 03:31 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
A new cyclist should spend a minimum of 2 years in the saddle to build some basic fitness and endurance and to see if they enjoy cycling and if it`s for them...before investing in expensive training equipment....99% of cyclists don`t even need a power meter.
Technically nobody "needs" a power meter, just like nobody needs to see the weight labels of the freeweights at the gym, and instead we could all just train "by feel", but both of those things are sure nice to have in order to achieve incremental improvements using empirical data, and not relying on RPE (rate of perceived effort).

I personally got a power meter and smart trainer less than a year after getting into (hybrid) commuter cycling as an adult, but that's because I got the cycling itch early-on, lost 30-40 lbs in the first 9 months, and knew very quickly that it was for me, and quickly got a much nicer 2nd bike (roadie this time) with a PM, after doing lots of research and realizing exactly how to utilize a PM to stoke MY motivation of chasing bigger watts on my power curve, as well as chasing bigger W/kg, which would further my weight loss, ensuring that I got better with keeping up with my cycling group.

Maybe the OP is in the same category as me, but I agree that they probably shouldn't be discussing the PM in the same breath as discussing getting their first bike, since the much nicer 2nd bike they'll be getting a year from now will be the one the PM goes on and they'll want to know the bike and the PM of their choice are compatible .

Last edited by Riveting; 11-22-21 at 03:44 PM.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 11-22-21, 03:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Riveting
Technically nobody "needs" a power meter, just like nobody needs to see the weight labels of the freeweights at the gym, and instead we could all just train "by feel", but both of those things are sure nice to have in order to achieve incremental improvements using empirical data, and not relying on RPE (rate of perceived effort).

I personally got a power meter and smart trainer less than a year after getting into hybrid commuter cycling as an adult, but that's because I got the cycling itch early-on, lost 30-40 lbs in the first 9 months, and knew very quickly that it was for me, and quickly got a much nicer 2nd bike (roadie) with a PM, after doing lots of research and realizing exactly how to utilize a PM was going stoke MY motivation of chasing bigger watts on my power curve, as well as chasing bigger W/kg, which would further my weight loss, as well as keeping up with my group

Maybe the OP is in the same category as me, but I agree that they probably shouldn't be discussing the PM in the same breath as discussing getting their first bike, since the much nicer 2nd bike they'll be getting a year from now will be the one the PM goes on and they'll want to know the bike and the PM of their choice are compatible .

See, I think yours is the more common way how people get into stuff. You don't actually buy the bells and whistles until you know what you want to do with them. All the reading in the world won't tell you if you freak out too much to ever ride again the first time you get passed by a semi on the road.

And I don't get where that 2 years thing came from, either. I think a lot of people can figure out pretty quickly this is or isn't something I'm going to stick with.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-22-21, 03:39 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Get a bike. Join a local Club and have fun LEARNING.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 11-22-21, 04:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Polarised nonsense as usual.
I stand by what I said...OP doesn`t need a power meter or an indoor trainer...What OP needs is to purchase a bike and start riding.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-22-21, 06:02 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 141 Posts
The OP is either a troll, or more likely y'all scared him off
We may not get better particulars.
cheers -mathias
Old 11-22-21, 06:20 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Threads of the "tell me everything about ...." variety tend to see no involvement from the OP beyond that first post.
Old 11-22-21, 07:30 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
OP is asking about info and advice about indoor trainers and power meters. Not whether or not they "need" them. I'm pretty sure the OP knows that they are not necessary to ride a bike. But that doesn't mean they are not desirable depending on their circumstances. But we don't know anywhere near enough about the OP to make any sensible suggestions on any of this.

Let's say I came here and said I weighed 350 lbs and lived at the North Pole going into winter (I could be Father Christmas actually). In that case an indoor trainer would probably be the best starting point to get into shape before venturing outdoors on a bike.
In that case, his indoor trainer would have to be a sled and the power meter would have a red nose.
Likes For kahn:
Old 11-22-21, 07:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I would have bought a power meter if I can easily afford it. Didn't need it when I was new to cycling but now I'm getting into slightly bit more serious training to improve cycling fitness, it's a welcome addition, mainly to collect data and improve quality of training.

But before I can even consider buying power meter, I first need to upgrade from my Walmart gravel bike!
You can do serious training and build serious fitness without a power meter.
Old 11-22-21, 07:50 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would not worry about a power meter yet. As far as an indoor trainer…. If you find you are wanting to pedal a bike but it is too cold or crappy outside for you to enjoy doing it, then you might want an indoor trainer.

Saddle bag with tools and stuff is a good investment, as are good pedals and shoes (whether it be flats or clipless). Water bottles and cages. A handlebar mount for a phone. A rear blinky and either a front blinky or real light if you plan to ride at night.
Old 11-22-21, 11:39 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
OP hooked all the fish on his very first cast. He knows his bait.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-23-21, 12:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That's not how I view pros/cons. So we won't be agreeing here either.

​​​​The concept of pros/cons is meaningless without preferences. That isn't obvious?
Old 11-23-21, 12:30 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
OP hooked all the fish on his very first cast. He knows his bait.
But he did a masterful job of reeling in the fish with indoor trainers and power meters.

Hard to imagine so much training discussion for someone who doesn’t even own a bike.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-23-21, 07:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Despite being skeptical of the OP’s post, my advice is to get an exercise bike with the level of tech you want and forget about buying an actual bike. At the least you’ll want to have access to BF when you work out.

You need a winter of solid training before you can expect to engage in finding a bike with the proper frame material, weight, gearing, etc.

Too many people think they can just get on a bike and ride it.

John
What exactly does "sardonic" mean, anyway. Is it like "irony" plus "sarcasm"?
Old 11-23-21, 08:58 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
When I am doing "Person in the street" interviews, I usually reassure people by telling them "There are no wrong answers."

BF's version: "There are only wrong answers."

Get a bicycle ...... so you can ride away from here as quickly as possible.
Likes For Maelochs:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.