Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rear bike rack made from tent poles

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rear bike rack made from tent poles

Old 11-26-21, 08:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Quick note to those that are commenting on the quality of tent poles - the OP specified a trekking pole tent. Those tents use a vertical (or near vertical) pole(s) that are not bent when in use. The only stress on the pole(s) is compression from end to end. It does not need a very hefty pole to accomplish that. Typically no longer than 45 inches. The only mode of failure I could see for a pole is if you had heavy wet snow on the tent. Or, if you tripped and fell on the pole and broke it that way.

One of my trekking pole tents in the photo, I cut poles for it, used enough segments so that I can fold up the poles and fit them in a Frontroller pannier.

It is a Big Agnes model that they apparently no longer make. One pole is 45 inches and one 33 inches.
Old 11-26-21, 11:31 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Quick note to those that are commenting on the quality of tent poles - the OP specified a trekking pole tent. Those tents use a vertical (or near vertical) pole(s) that are not bent when in use. The only stress on the pole(s) is compression from end to end. It does not need a very hefty pole to accomplish that. Typically no longer than 45 inches. The only mode of failure I could see for a pole is if you had heavy wet snow on the tent. Or, if you tripped and fell on the pole and broke it that way.

One of my trekking pole tents in the photo, I cut poles for it, used enough segments so that I can fold up the poles and fit them in a Frontroller pannier.
Yeah, I agree that with the trekking pole tents breakage is less likely. Also an improvised pole is doable. Failure when used as a rack is far more likely.

Last edited by staehpj1; 11-26-21 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-06-21, 10:39 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Conceptually, this is kind of a neat idea. Having looked at the pictures, it isn't completely crazy, but I think you'd find that performance as a rack will be lacking--most quality racks use welded junctures between the members so that the rack is a rigid body, which is important when you've got a load cantilevered out back. I think that it would be difficult to machine fixtures that would give you that same rigidity, and allow for quick demounting, and avoid damage to the poles. The fixtures might also wind up being heavy enough that you don't save much weight.

Tubus makes several racks that clock in under 1 lb, just as a point of reference.
Old 12-06-21, 11:23 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrice
a load cantilevered out back.
The part cantilevered out back looks like a very bad idea to me and for his stated goal of carrying 8-10# of gear most likely unnecessary. That much gear would likely fit ahead of that part of the rack.