Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Bang for the Buck Tubeless (Rim Brake) Wheels to compare with DA C24?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-26-19, 12:12 AM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

In your firsthand experience, what is the best bang-for-the-buck tubeless road wheelset (with rim brakes) that compares well with the Dura Ace C24 TL?

I'm not switching over to discs...yet. Will do so in a year probably. But for now, I'm looking for a set of lightweight, fast, durable tubeless road wheels for my road bike.

On my last bike, I was running the DA C24 TL and thought they were the best all-around road wheel I'd ever owned. Durable, hubs were fast as heck and super easy to service, reasonably light weight wheels, held their true through training and racing for two years, very solid product.

Which tubeless rim brake wheels are you a big fan of with the DA C24 as a reference to compare?

Thanks
Old 11-26-19, 06:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
As factory wheels go, I'd suggest that the Fulcrum Racing 0 or Campy Shamals in 2-way fit are nearest neighbors to the DAs.

If your goal is to spend less than any of these, then perhaps a pair of Hunts?
eg. https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/collec...-28deep-22wide
Old 11-26-19, 07:16 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
The DA are great wheels to say the least. I had a good experience with I9 tubeless rim brake wheels but not sure if they’re still available in alloy. I also did very well with Bontrager Race Xlight wheels I think they were called.
Old 11-26-19, 07:22 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
+1 on checking out Fulcrum, but realize that something's gotta give when you're looking for light, durable and affordable.
Old 11-27-19, 11:36 AM
Super D

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Those Fulcrums (and Shamal sister wheel) were on my short list when I ended up with the C24s previously. Seem like great options.

Also coming to mind, what about the HED Ardennes Black Rim Brake set? I've run the Jet Plus wheels on my TT bike, and they were pretty much superb. Haven't had a shallow set on a road bike yet..
Old 11-28-19, 01:19 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Super D
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Those Fulcrums (and Shamal sister wheel) were on my short list when I ended up with the C24s previously. Seem like great options.

Also coming to mind, what about the HED Ardennes Black Rim Brake set? I've run the Jet Plus wheels on my TT bike, and they were pretty much superb. Haven't had a shallow set on a road bike yet..
Heds appear to be a bit pricey for alu. Are you looking for shallow rim set for weight reasons?
There's also Boyd Altamont Lites.. or I'm still looking for someone to try these and provide a review ( ):
TUNE TSR35 Wheelset
Old 11-28-19, 09:33 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Hand built wheels will cost more but will last forever. Hed Belgium+ rims laced to Shimano hubs. If you are weight conscientious, Dura Ace. If you want bang for the buck, hard to beat Ultegra hubs. .
Old 12-01-19, 07:34 PM
Super D

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Heds appear to be a bit pricey for alu. Are you looking for shallow rim set for weight reasons?
There's also Boyd Altamont Lites.. or I'm still looking for someone to try these and provide a review ( ):
TUNE TSR35 Wheelset
Shallow for lower rotating mass. The deeper wheels tend to be more sluggish accelerating (which makes sense). When I was running 30mm and 40mm rims, then switched to the DA C24s, it was noticeably snappier in terms of acceleration. If I could get an affordable 40mm or 50mm wheel which had low rotating mass and was affordable, I'd definitely do it, just can't seem to make that affordable aspect work.

Originally Posted by DOS
Hand built wheels will cost more but will last forever. Hed Belgium+ rims laced to Shimano hubs. If you are weight conscientious, Dura Ace. If you want bang for the buck, hard to beat Ultegra hubs. .
The Belgium with DA hubs would be killer. I have a buddy I ride track with who has Belgium tubs laced to DA track hubs, what a perfect all-around set of wheels. The road equivalent of that but running tubeless would be excellent, agreed.
Old 12-03-19, 01:38 AM
Super D

Anyone have experience with Mercury 3's or 5's? I've seen them in masters races under great riders, wonder how they hold up over time. Thoughts?
Old 12-03-19, 11:00 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
Boyd Altamonts.
Old 12-03-19, 12:04 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST
Old 12-04-19, 09:04 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Does Psimet still make wheels? I never found anything that was better than anything he made, as far as Al low-profile wheels go. Fantastic products at a great price.
Old 12-04-19, 09:24 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I don't have any experience with FSE other than when the time comes for me to get another wheelset I'll be looking at them, but they have a competitively priced tubeless wheelset that is pretty lightweight as well. FSE 35CT Carbon Fiber Clincher. I'd be interested to see any real world reviews.