Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Interesting blog from the Pro's Closet

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 11-19-21, 09:08 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts

What bike laws should all states have? | The Pro's Closet (theproscloset.com)
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 11-29-21, 05:33 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
This alone would make a huge difference...

According to Megan Hottman, known to many as The Cyclist Lawyer, the dream law would be a strict liability law, “like they have in Copenhagen, where drivers are presumed at fault in a car-bike collision and where drivers know this, so they drive extra carefully,” Hottman says. According to her, it’s the only way to create a safer environment for people on bikes, and in turn, for everyone.
Add in a bike lane bill, and maybe motorists will "get a clue."
This bill requires motorists to yield the right-of-way to a bicyclist in a bike lane. It also creates a new traffic offense for failing to yield to a bicyclist or other authorized user in a bicycle lane. Failure to yield will result in a class A traffic offense and is punishable with a $70 fine and three points assessed to the driver’s license.
Likes For genec:
Old 12-03-21, 04:38 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Add in a bike lane bill, and maybe motorists will "get a clue."
I don't know, I would think that a strict liability law with some real teeth would make a stand alone bike lane bill kind of redundant. Now if you were talking about a 'bike lane creation' bill, that would be something. Around here bike lanes just appear out of nowhere, and end without warning, just as easily.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 01-25-22, 03:59 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Dutch and others in Europe I've talked with do not believe strict liability actually does much for safety. It's good for assuaging feelings afterwards but does little to change driver behavior before. Too many drivers have a 'it'll never happen to me' attitude about the likelihood that they'll ever cause a crash.

In the end: Concrete Enforces Better Than Paint or Paper
Likes For CrankyOne:
Old 01-26-22, 09:12 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
In the US would presumed guilty go against presumed innocent in our legal system?
Old 01-26-22, 10:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
In the US would presumed guilty go against presumed innocent in our legal system?
In the legal system envisioned by some of our more passionate A&S "advocates" all drivers are presumed guilty of being "bad", ignorant, and/or distracted and are therefore presumed guilty of whatever offense they are accused of by a righteous bicyclist.
Old 01-26-22, 11:32 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Seems to me strict liability laws would be more of a concern for insurance companies.
Old 01-26-22, 11:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
I think it would be more along the lines of rear-end collision, where the driver who rear-ends the other one is presumed to be at fault unless there are exceptional circumstances. (The idea is if you are following too closely to be able to stop in time to avoid a collision, you are at fault. A similar situation would obtain with car vs. bicycle collisions. This doesn't preclude the cyclist being at fault, but assumes given normal, legal behavior, the driver has the responsibility to avoid the collision.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 01-27-22, 04:21 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I think it would be more along the lines of rear-end collision, where the driver who rear-ends the other one is presumed to be at fault unless there are exceptional circumstances. (The idea is if you are following too closely to be able to stop in time to avoid a collision, you are at fault. A similar situation would obtain with car vs. bicycle collisions. This doesn't preclude the cyclist being at fault, but assumes given normal, legal behavior, the driver has the responsibility to avoid the collision.)
IE: if the rear bumper is cracked up from the "accident", chances are, it's not the driver's fault. A vehicle sustaining front side, front, windshield, particles of bicycle in the vehicle's tires, you'd might be right to assume whom is at fault.
Old 01-27-22, 08:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

You're confusing civil law and criminal law. Yes, a presumption of criminal guilt would likely be unconstitutional, but there's all sorts of strict liability in civil law. It just means that if you engage in X activity, and this type of harm results, you can be sued successfully even if you can show you were not negligent. Example--if you're demolishing buildings with explosives, you're going to be liable for any damages to anyone else regardless of whether or not you were sufficiently careful..
Old 01-27-22, 08:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
In the legal system envisioned by some of our more passionate A&S "advocates" all drivers are presumed guilty of being "bad", ignorant, and/or distracted and are therefore presumed guilty of whatever offense they are accused of by a righteous bicyclist.

Wrong, the assumption in a strict liability law is that the activity is in itself hazardous enough that there's a presumption that the activity itself requires an extremely high level of vigilance . Common carriers face strict liability for passenger harm, for example. The theory is that they knowingly take on this duty when they engage in the activity.

The assumption here would be that the operation of a massive piece of metal at varying speeds is itself such an activity. while cycling and walking is not. Given the comparative lethality to others inherent in the activity, this is an extremely reasonable allocation of liability. Cyclists do sometimes strike and kill other cyclists and pedestrians, but it's a fairly rare event, and normal rules of liability can handle them. In an automobile vs. cyclist crash, the likelihood of injury/fatality is completely asymmetrical, so it's very reasonable to assume that the cyclist already has much more incentive to avoid crashing than the driver. Thus, at a societal level, if the goal is to reduce crashes, it makes sense to impose an enhanced likelihood of civil liability on the drivers to somewhat equalize their incentives to avoid the crash.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-27-22, 08:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jon c.
Seems to me strict liability laws would be more of a concern for insurance companies.

Yes, but if insurance rates are experience-rated (and they are), and insurance is mandatory (in most states), this directly impacts the driver.
Old 01-27-22, 08:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark

This is close--you're really describing a rebuttable presumption rather than strict liability. Strict liability would mean that all the cyclist would need to prove is that the defendant was driving and that the cyclist was struck by the defendant's vehicle. The driver could not defend on the basis that they were not negligent or that the cyclist caused the collision. If there is a weak point to this scheme, it's that it could, if poorly designed, give people an incentive to fake collisions with automobiles.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-27-22, 08:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Wrong, the assumption in a strict liability law is that the activity is in itself hazardous enough that there's a presumption that the activity itself requires an extremely high level of vigilance .
AND the presumption on this list by the ardent all drivers are bad "advocates" appears to be that few if any drivers ever exercise the appropriate high level of vigilance, therefore any/all reports of incidents involving a motorist and bicyclist are assumed to be the result of such driver negligence.
Old 01-27-22, 09:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

AND the presumption on this list by the ardent all drivers are bad "advocates" appears to be that few if any drivers ever exercise the appropriate high level of vigilance, therefore any/all reports of incidents involving a motorist and bicyclist are assumed to be the result of such driver negligence.
And?

The point I was making is that isn't a presumption that's inherent in the strict liability "legal system" that's being proposed. You can personalize the issue if you like, but that's an ad hominem argument at best.

In a strict liability system, the driver is liable for all damages to non-drivers because driving is inherently an activity that imposes high risk of injury of others. It eliminates fault from the equation and treats the comparative risks of the behavior as being the factor that determines how liability is to be distributed. Thus, a perfectly rational driver might avoid driving in high-traffic urban settings due to the enhanced risk of liability for a crash.

The point is that individualized fault is the main way this country allocates risk (and we're an outlier nation on the extent to which we do this), and there are alternatives that could be more effective at reducing high-risk behavior. I'm sure there's a lot more valid arguments against that that you could make other than "blah blah blah bf posters" if you try.
Old 01-27-22, 10:37 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

And?

The point I was making is that isn't a presumption that's inherent in the strict liability "legal system" that's being proposed. You can personalize the issue if you like, but that's an ad hominem argument at best.

In a strict liability system, the driver is liable for all damages to non-drivers because driving is inherently an activity that imposes high risk of injury of others. It eliminates fault from the equation and treats the comparative risks of the behavior as being the factor that determines how liability is to be distributed. Thus, a perfectly rational driver might avoid driving in high-traffic urban settings due to the enhanced risk of liability for a crash.

The point is that individualized fault is the main way this country allocates risk (and we're an outlier nation on the extent to which we do this), and there are alternatives that could be more effective at reducing high-risk behavior. I'm sure there's a lot more valid arguments against that that you could make other than "blah blah blah bf posters" if you try.
AND who exactly is "proposing" implementation of such a strict liability "legal system" for U.S. motorists (and presumably for bicyclists/pedestrians to skate on any finding of liability or responsibility for their actions, no matter the circumstances) on this list, or anywhere else in the U.S., other than "blah blah blah bf posters" and similar "bicycling advocacy" outliers?
Old 01-27-22, 10:59 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 244 Posts
Wrong, the assumption in a strict liability law is that the activity is in itself hazardous enough that there's a presumption that the activity itself requires an extremely high level of vigilance . Common carriers face strict liability for passenger harm, for example. The theory is that they knowingly take on this duty when they engage in the activity.

The assumption here would be that the operation of a massive piece of metal at varying speeds is itself such an activity. while cycling and walking is not. Given the comparative lethality to others inherent in the activity, this is an extremely reasonable allocation of liability. Cyclists do sometimes strike and kill other cyclists and pedestrians, but it's a fairly rare event, and normal rules of liability can handle them. In an automobile vs. cyclist crash, the likelihood of injury/fatality is completely asymmetrical, so it's very reasonable to assume that the cyclist already has much more incentive to avoid crashing than the driver. Thus, at a societal level, if the goal is to reduce crashes, it makes sense to impose an enhanced likelihood of civil liability on the drivers to somewhat equalize their incentives to avoid the crash.
It's always interesting to hear how a lawyer thinks about the law. Obviously, it is different from how we non-lawyers think, so we often (always?) misinterpret the meaning of a law.

I would be very extremely surprised to see a strict liability law such as you describe enacted for drivers of personal vehicles in any state, in the foreseeable future. Not even California. The concept seems to directly contradict the current political climate where "freedom" means "I can do whatever the heck I want without consequences, no matter who it affects, or how". The majority of voters seem to have little to no inclination to place limits on the actions of individuals, or to hold them responsible for those actions, "for the common good". (With the notable exceptions of laws against abortion, and restricting voter access, of course.)

(BTW, good job in refusing to allow ILTB to shift the argument so he can ride his favorite hobby horse.)
Old 01-27-22, 11:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

AND who exactly is "proposing" implementation of such a strict liability "legal system" for U.S. motorists (and presumably for bicyclists/pedestrians to skate on any finding of liability or responsibility for their actions, no matter the circumstances) on this list, or anywhere else in the U.S., other than "blah blah blah bf posters" and similar "bicycling advocacy" outliers?
The article linked in the OP. You're not equipped to deal with the issue, so you'd rather do your usual schtick.

Enjoy your ad hominem, it's rather obvious it's all you got.
Old 01-27-22, 11:55 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

The article linked in the OP. You're not equipped to deal with the issue, so you'd rather do your usual schtick.

Enjoy your ad hominem, it's rather obvious it's all you got.
Yeah, all you got is one of your comrades, The Cyclist Lawyer writing that the "strict liability law" would be a dream law. Got it. A&S "advocates" should keep on dreaming about implementation of this "dream law."
Old 01-27-22, 11:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by noimagination
It's always interesting to hear how a lawyer thinks about the law. Obviously, it is different from how we non-lawyers think, so we often (always?) misinterpret the meaning of a law.

I would be very extremely surprised to see a strict liability law such as you describe enacted for drivers of personal vehicles in any state, in the foreseeable future. Not even California. The concept seems to directly contradict the current political climate where "freedom" means "I can do whatever the heck I want without consequences, no matter who it affects, or how". The majority of voters seem to have little to no inclination to place limits on the actions of individuals, or to hold them responsible for those actions, "for the common good". (With the notable exceptions of laws against abortion, and restricting voter access, of course.)

(BTW, good job in refusing to allow ILTB to shift the argument so he can ride his favorite hobby horse.)
Actually very few lawyers think about the issue in these terms, this is really more of an economic argument, but thanks, I find your perspective interesting as well..

I don't disagree with your political analysis, I doubt seriously we will see this in the U.S. any time soon as drivers and automobile interests generally predominate in our political system so thoroughly. I do think this being an issue of individual rights vs. being held responsible for the imposed external costs of your activities is probably a rhetorical spin that will resonate, but it's one that conveniently ignores the extent that the over-reliance on driving in big cities is impinging on people's ability to navigate the city outside of a motor vehicle safely.
Old 01-27-22, 11:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by i-like-to-bike
yeah, all you got is one of your comrades, the cyclist lawyer writing that the "strict liability law" would be a dream law. Got it. A&s "advocates" should keep on dreaming about implementation of this "dream law."

zzzzzzz

See above. I don't think this is at all likely, but it's an interesting idea worth discussing. Let us know if you actually want to rather than coming up with more stupid slogans like "dream law".
Old 01-27-22, 12:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

zzzzzzz

See above. I don't think this is at all likely, but it's an interesting idea worth discussing. Let us know if you actually want to rather than coming up with more stupid slogans like "dream law".
I agree the use of "dream law" to describe or promote this proposal is stupid. Did YOU read the article in the OP? "According to Megan Hottman, known to many as The Cyclist Lawyer, the dream law would be a strict liability law..."
Old 01-27-22, 12:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I agree the use of "dream law" to describe or promote this proposal is stupid. Did YOU read the article in the OP? "According to Megan Hottman, known to many as The Cyclist Lawyer, the dream law would be a strict liability law..."

Anything but talk about the substance of the idea, right?

Look, I don't know what point you think you're making with all of the name-calling and such, but there's a lot of reasons I don't think it will happen, I'm not even advocating for it. I think it's an interesting idea and it has some sound economic rationale behind it. For some reason, you don't even want it discussed and you're taking the intellectually lazy path of attacking anyone who wants to talk about it rather than expressing what it is you actually object to. I have no idea why you're even posting on this thread except to just be disagreeable and unpleasant.

Go ahead, trash the idea, that's fair game. That would actually be interesting. Quit trying to trash people, it just makes you look weak, and it's very, very boring.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-07-22, 11:48 AM
Feldman

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 50 Posts
And we would be right!
Old 02-07-22, 03:30 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
a lawyer told me that every bicycler should buy medical pay insurance ... medical pay is almost like strict liability cause if a car hits you it pays up to a certain policy amount regardless of your fault or other insurance

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.