Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Old 09-29-21, 11:31 AM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
I also have been considering a new helmet because my helmet is 7 years old and came to the following conclusions:

The helmets I am most interested in are not available in the U.S. (MET and ABUS)
I was thinking that the foam in helmets degrades over time and that would be a reason to buy a new one - but it turns out not to be the case so the helmet I have is still good and I do not need to spend money on a new one.
There are no peer reviewed studies that prove MIPs is effective.
The studies that were done was with dummy heads, not real people.
There is no published data from actual accidents that shows that MIPs is effective.
I have no problem with people wanting a helmet with MIPs, but I have seen no proof that it makes a difference.
There are other factors that are probably more important than MIPs.
Old 09-29-21, 12:21 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I have a MIPS Thousand for when I wear a cap, and a MIPS nutcase when I don't
Old 09-29-21, 12:22 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
The helmets I am most interested in are not available in the U.S. (MET and ABUS)
ABUS helmets are available in the US on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ABUS+helm...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Old 09-29-21, 12:46 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I buy a new helmet every 2 years or so. They start to get a little beat up just from banging around in my bags and shelves, etc. Also I don't know about others, but my helmets start to smell a little funky after a while.

My last two helmets have had MIPS. The two helmets I've purchased for my kid have also been MIPS. Does it improve safety? Maybe. I don't really see any downside, other than some models costing a few more dollars.

Helmet recommendations are tough - I've definitely had helmets that didn't fit my head shape very well. I also like to have enough room under my helmet to wear a winter hat or cap. I used to be really worried about having a "mushroom head" kind of look, but after trying a half dozen helmets over the years I think they all basically end up looking the same on my head.

Anyway, I have a Bell Z20 MIPS right now. It's been great. It's going on 2 years old so I'll probably be buying a new one in the next few months. I might just go with the same model but a different color.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-29-21, 12:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
I also have been considering a new helmet because my helmet is 7 years old and came to the following conclusions:

I was thinking that the foam in helmets degrades over time and that would be a reason to buy a new one - but it turns out not to be the case so the helmet I have is still good and I do not need to spend money on a new one.
There are no peer reviewed studies that prove MIPs is effective.
The studies that were done was with dummy heads, not real people.
There is no published data from actual accidents that shows that MIPs is effective.
I have no problem with people wanting a helmet with MIPs, but I have seen no proof that it makes a difference.
There are other factors that are probably more important than MIPs.

This dummy head study was peer reviewed and strongly suggests that MIPs is effective at preventing rotational injury.: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6928098/
I don't know what you would consider to be "proof", but this is pretty good. Using real heads in experiments presents some ethical problems what with injuring the subjects, and I don't think cadaver heads are likely to produce anything significantly different from dummy heads. Data from real-world crashes would be too noisy to be of any use, we really would have no way of knowing what rotational forces any given crash victim might have undergone and, if you think about it for two seconds, the data would be heavily skewed towards reporting failures. The odds are excellent that a helmet success would never get reported as people will simply walk/ride away from most of those crashes. There's also a bit of selection bias possible--people who ride faster/more/harder may be more prone to seek out MIPs helmets than less "intense" riders and so you could see a disproportionately high level of injury among MIPs users even if the helmets were more effective.

Anyway, there's certainly no proof that MIPs does any harm, and it really doesn't cost (much) more at this point.

But, yeah, your 7 year old helmet is probably fine. That's not sarcastic, btw.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-29-21 at 01:02 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-29-21, 01:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
ABUS helmets are available in the US on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ABUS+helm...f=nb_sb_noss_2
They are, but they are expensive compared to elsewhere online. I got my Abus from either Merlin or Lordgun and the models that are on Amazon are available for less at overseas retailers.
Itll be neat to see MET and ABUS have more visibility in the US. I am all for more options in the helmet category.
Old 09-29-21, 01:06 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,541 Times in 3,756 Posts
Latest helmet thread merged into The Helemt Thread 2.

Old 09-29-21, 01:09 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
They are, but they are expensive compared to elsewhere online. I got my Abus from either Merlin or Lordgun and the models that are on Amazon are available for less at overseas retailers.
Itll be neat to see MET and ABUS have more visibility in the US. I am all for more options in the helmet category.
We sell ABUS locks at our shop, so I would imagine their other products should be available to US brick-n-mortar retailers at some point.
Old 10-01-21, 08:45 AM
bigredgrad01

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
This dummy head study was peer reviewed and strongly suggests that MIPs is effective at preventing rotational injury.: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6928098/
I don't know what you would consider to be "proof", but this is pretty good. Using real heads in experiments presents some ethical problems what with injuring the subjects, and I don't think cadaver heads are likely to produce anything significantly different from dummy heads. Data from real-world crashes would be too noisy to be of any use, we really would have no way of knowing what rotational forces any given crash victim might have undergone and, if you think about it for two seconds, the data would be heavily skewed towards reporting failures. The odds are excellent that a helmet success would never get reported as people will simply walk/ride away from most of those crashes. There's also a bit of selection bias possible--people who ride faster/more/harder may be more prone to seek out MIPs helmets than less "intense" riders and so you could see a disproportionately high level of injury among MIPs users even if the helmets were more effective.

Anyway, there's certainly no proof that MIPs does any harm, and it really doesn't cost (much) more at this point.

But, yeah, your 7 year old helmet is probably fine. That's not sarcastic, btw.
I am sure MIPS helps reduce rotational forces on a hairless solid rubber headed dummy that the studies use. But most people already have a slip-plane between their scalp and the helmet, it's called hair. They also have some rotational slippage between their scalp and their scull. The incremental value of MIPS for real people with hair is not clear to me and I find the extra plastic layer unpleasant and prone to catching hair. Some of the other technologies that, in addition to facilitating rotation, crumple to absorb energy seem to make at least some sense to me, but MIPS seems marginal at best.

Last edited by bigredgrad01; 10-01-21 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-12-21, 10:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I still say to the anti helmet people, what is the big deal. Once I put my helmet on, I totally forget about it. And if it prevents even a little road rash on the head, why not?
Old 12-12-21, 11:08 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I still say to the anti helmet people, what is the big deal. Once I put my helmet on, I totally forget about it. And if it prevents even a little road rash on the head, why not?
Same for me , also the helmet saved my life once. So there is not a single reason to not use it
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 12-18-21, 03:47 AM
Atti

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To use protection or not

Having recently fallen off my bike and ending up in hospital with a bleed on the brain and fractured cheekbone, I am so glad I was wearing my bone dome.

It made me think about those who don't/refuse to wear one and I am genuinely interested as to why.

This is not meant to be a thread advocating the use or otherwise, but more to try and understand why you wouldn't and, perhaps more crucially, what would make you change your mind.
Old 12-18-21, 04:24 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
I've suffered a few high speed crashes, the most recent summer 2020. I completely destroyed the helmet I was wearing, rebook my right humerus (only a crack), and bruised several ribs due to my shoulder being the second point of impact, my head being the primary. No concussion. That was probably the worst solo crash I’ve endured. I’ve also bounced my face off a car door, and hit a tree with my head, no concussions in those instances either. In each instance, I received emergency medical care, and I am confident saying the lack of concussions is due to a properly worn, and high quality helmet.
Old 12-18-21, 04:44 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Thank goodness we have another helmet thread; there just aren't enough of them. OP, start with something a little more deadly, IE

Why do people:
Smoke
Over eat
Use drugs
Refuse to wear seat belts
Have random unprotected sex

The list goes on and on. They choose to do what they want and you choose to do things as you see fit, one doesn't effect the other. Do yourself a favor and identify why you crashed and learn to avoid or manage that type of risk better in the future.
Old 12-18-21, 05:11 AM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Why is this posted 3 times?
Likes For GhenghisKahn:
Old 12-18-21, 05:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Thank goodness we have another helmet thread; there just aren't enough of them. OP, start with something a little more deadly, IE

Why do people:
Smoke
Over eat
Use drugs
Refuse to wear seat belts
Have random unprotected sex

The list goes on and on. They choose to do what they want and you choose to do things as you see fit, one doesn't effect the other. Do yourself a favor and identify why you crashed and learn to avoid or manage that type of risk better in the future.

People really should wear helmets during sex.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-18-21, 05:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
I'm fully vaccinated, do I need a helmet?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-18-21, 06:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
People really should wear helmets during sex.
Like in “Demolition Man.”
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-18-21, 06:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GhenghisKahn

​​​​​First time poster trying to get the post count up but doing it almost the worst way possible? Worst case would've been posting it 5 times.
Old 12-18-21, 06:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Three is better than one or two.

Maybe we should also bring spare helmet (maybe two or three helmets), in case we crash, broke the helmet, we can leave the damaged on the trash bin and wear the back up helmet on the way home.

I just wear the trashbin home. Those things are heavy but tough.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-18-21, 06:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm fully vaccinated, do I need a helmet?

Have you had your booster crash?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-18-21, 06:53 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Yes whenever training or going somewhere far or fast on the bike, no for a trip to the local shop or such. If I'm going to my office which is two kilometers away it's 50/50 if I wear the helmet or not.
​​​​
Old 12-18-21, 07:32 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...hread-2-a.html
Old 12-18-21, 07:44 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by GhenghisKahn
Bad news comes in threes.
Likes For datlas:
Old 12-18-21, 08:12 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Originally Posted by Atti
Having recently fallen off my bike and ending up in hospital with a bleed on the brain and fractured cheekbone, I am so glad I was wearing my bone dome.

It made me think about those who don't/refuse to wear one and I am genuinely interested as to why.

This is not meant to be a thread advocating the use or otherwise, but more to try and understand why you wouldn't and, perhaps more crucially, what would make you change your mind.
Your thread moved from General Cycling to The Helmet Thread 2 in Advocacy & Safety forum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.