Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Don't you just love when noobs/pedestrians say to ride on the other side of the road.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Don't you just love when noobs/pedestrians say to ride on the other side of the road.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-21, 08:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yeah .... I love to ride winding, hilly roads which are replete with blind spots. When I know cars coming up cannot see me I stay well to the right because no matter what you imagine, the car does not Instantly appear right on your tail. There is enough time for the car (particularly if the driver is not startled by a rider coming head-on at him, but instead riding normally) to slide over a few feet. (See above comments on "closing speed.")

I Never take the lane over a hill or after a sharp curve .... because I am not stupid.

I have been riding in traffic for more than five decades. I am pretty sure since I am still alive, that I am doing it right.

On the other hand, if you examine cycling fatalities, a good number involve riders on the wrong side of the road. I have to think they were doing it somewhat less right.

I don't want to suggest that your preferred residence might be under a bridge or anything .... but let us note that your other thread is a complaint about Drivers doing stupid things ........

This is my approach to the right hand curve as well, ride as far to the right as I possibly can. If the driver is going to make an error due to inattention, it's far more likely they're going to go to be too far to the left than curve too sharply and take me out on the right. That said, I don't dawdle at the end of a right curve because I figure the less time spent there the better, it's just that there's no safer place on that section of road than the right margin (barring potholes, crumbling, etc.). But, yeah, lots of winding, rolling country hills in my riding, and I cannot think of a single situation where I think I'd be safer salmoning.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-28-21, 08:49 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I take this kind of personally since I was hit by a wrong way cyclist coming around a blind corner. I got injuries and a damaged bike. So if you want a reason why people are telling you to ride with traffic it is because you are endangering your fellow riders with this behavior.
Old 10-28-21, 08:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by bikecrate
I take this kind of personally since I was hit by a wrong way cyclist coming around a blind corner. I got injuries and a damaged bike. So if you want a reason why people are telling you to ride with traffic it is because you are endangering your fellow riders with this behavior.

That's a really good point.

I also find that the salmons seem to mostly ride on the (my) right edge of the road, forcing me out further into traffic that's behind me. I don't mind this when it's a kid, but there's a shocking number of adults who play this game.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-28-21, 10:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That's a really good point.

I also find that the salmons seem to mostly ride on the (my) right edge of the road, forcing me out further into traffic that's behind me. I don't mind this when it's a kid, but there's a shocking number of adults who play this game.
I have never been hit by a salmon, but I have been forced into traffic without warning to avoid a collision (the fear being that after the crash i would fall into traffic, and it would take longer to get up and get away, if I were even healthy enough to get up and get out of danger.) This has happened many times ... because the salmon never seem to want to give up the bike lane or the edge of the road.

Not all of them have Walmart MTBs and plastic shopping bags hanging from the bars .... but all that I have met seemed less comfortable on a bike than myself, and I am too nice a guy (no, really .... at least sometimes) to force them into Traffic because they clearly cannot handle it .....

What happened to @bikecrate shows Exactly why all the lame excuses about riding the wrong way in traffic is in any way "better" are pure BS.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-28-21, 10:34 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
As the first respondent to the OP, and questioning why he would do it, and wondering about the “countless reasons” for doing it…and now with a couple dozen responses telling him how dumb it is…I wish he’d respond with his defense.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 10-28-21, 10:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
As the first respondent to the OP, and questioning why he would do it, and wondering about the “countless reasons” for doing it…and now with a couple dozen responses telling him how dumb it is…I wish he’d respond with his defense.

Dan

Judging from his other threads, his response will probably be scatological.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-28-21, 10:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Maybe he has realized that "Why it is smart to drive head-on into oncoming traffic" is a difficult thesis to defend.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-28-21, 11:09 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
At the very least, I'd like to know the first 100 of the countless reasons.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-28-21, 11:10 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
There are a couple of places I've ridden to the right. Sometimes picking my way along a sidewalk without pedestrians.

#1... Left turn onto a 4-lane road from a side road, knowing I'll be turning into a left side driveway in about a block. It just works better to cut down the left without fighting to cross the road, then cross it again in a block. I'll be on a sidewalk or in a parking lot for most of the distance.

#2... making a left turn from a driveway into a 2-lane road with turn lanes, etc. Somehow that road seems like a madhouse right at that driveway. About a block later (just past a T-intersection), traffic cools down and it is easier/safer to make my move across. Again, parking lots and sidewalks.

#3... I might consider making my way leftward early to facilitate a left hand turn. Generally a wide shoulder, and very short distance. In one case a more or less protected island.

#4... Marked 2-way bike lane. Usually some amount of protection.

Now, routinely riding on the left, or hopping back and forth from side to side??? It is just a potential disaster in the works.

One thing about cars, they're able to deal with bikes riding 10 to 20 MPH with traffic. If I can't safely pass, I'll slow down to bike speed until I can safely pass. Or perhaps I'll simply adjust my speed some so when I arrive at the bike, I have the best opportunity to safely pass. With a bike coming at you, that would be a full stop. With ditches, curbs, and guardrails are you taking evasive actions when riding on the right?

Speeds? If you are riding 10 MPH to 20 MPH, and cars are driving about 40 MPH. Going with the traffic, the speed differential is about 20 to 30 MPH. Going against traffic, the speed differential is 50 to 60 MPH, giving vehicles a lot less time to react, and making an accident worse.

Originally Posted by psystemupdate
have you ever come up on a right turning road and just after the turn is a complete blind spot for any cars that could usually come flying up from behind you? This is one instance where i go to the opposite side and stay there if i can see ahead and its all clear...why should i get a ticket for being smart? Laws are made by people who haven't caught up.
Most of the curves around here are such that one can see the road for a significant distance before and after the curve. So, if a bike is on a road, then disappears around the corner... I tend to expect the bike to be there the when I arrive at the corner.

One thing you need to be aware of is stopping. So, don't stop and fix a flat tire or take a break in a blind spot. Keep moving until you have good visibility both ways.

If the corner is super blind, and cars are "flying"... are you able to safely cross across the road to make the corner on the left, and deal with the opposing traffic?
Old 10-28-21, 11:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have never been hit by a salmon, but I have been forced into traffic without warning to avoid a collision (the fear being that after the crash i would fall into traffic, and it would take longer to get up and get away, if I were even healthy enough to get up and get out of danger.) This has happened many times ... because the salmon never seem to want to give up the bike lane or the edge of the road.

Not all of them have Walmart MTBs and plastic shopping bags hanging from the bars .... but all that I have met seemed less comfortable on a bike than myself, and I am too nice a guy (no, really .... at least sometimes) to force them into Traffic because they clearly cannot handle it .....
I had a salmon guy yell at me for pulling over to the curb and forcing him to go out into traffic. It happened at a place where that sort of thing is fairly common on nice weekends. Based on his bike and clothing, he was not an inexperienced rider, just a selfish one.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-28-21, 11:14 AM
tomato coupe

One of the OP's other threads has vaporized ... this one could be next.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-28-21, 11:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
At the very least, I'd like to know the first 100 of the countless reasons.
First ten, anyway:

1. The right side of the road is coated with molasses due to an overturned truck.

2. Skunk!

3. Lemonade stand on left.

4. I'm feeling sinister.

5. Hurricane force winds to the left.

6. To impress Jodie Foster.

7. To spite Maelochs .

8. It's the correct side in the UK.

9. Your mom is a countless reason.

10. Flatulent cyclist on right side.
Old 10-28-21, 11:20 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
I honestly can't think of any time cycling on the wrong side of the road is safer. For tight/blind bends you may want to move to the centre line, but other than that you want to be in the lane and facing in the direction that traffic expects.

Walking with a bike on the wrong side, maybe, but then you're a pedestrian.
The ONLY TIME that I will ride on the wrong side is in the last 50 yards of my Sunday ride, as I approach my house. We live on a somewhat busy street, so I usually take advantage of moments when there's nobody either coming up behind me, or in the opposing lane, to swing over to the left side of the street and ride in THAT bike lane, or on that sidewalk if it's empty, rather than doing it "the right way". This is also the only time I'd ride on a sidewalk. Apart from that, never.

There are several places nearby where cyclists sometimes ride on the wrong side, and generally they are a hazard for me, because I have to move farther into the traffic lane to avoid them. That, and since they're riding on the wrong side of the road anyway, who knows which side of ME they expect to ride on?

The point about being predictable is key - If you're a driver approaching a wrong-side cyclist, you don't know why they're there, and you don't know what they'll do, plus you are a lot more likely to happen on them suddenly - the whole 'closing speed' issue.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-28-21, 11:27 AM
tomato coupe

First ten, anyway:

1. The right side of the road is coated with molasses due to an overturned truck.

2. Skunk!

3. Lemonade stand on left.

4. I'm feeling sinister.

5. Hurricane force winds to the left.

6. To impress Jodie Foster.

7. To spite Maelochs .

8. It's the correct side in the UK.

9. Your mom is a countless reason.

10. Flatulent cyclist on right side.
11. Moose hogging the right lane.

Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-28-21, 12:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Old 10-28-21, 12:43 PM
indyfabz

4. I'm feeling sinister.
Having taken Latin in high school, I see what you did there.
Old 10-28-21, 01:20 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Having taken Latin in high school, I see what you did there.
I thought it was bad Italian.
Old 10-28-21, 01:31 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Moose hogging the right lane.
what a magnificent creature! astonishing endurance! way more interesting than this troll thread
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-28-21, 01:55 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
what a magnificent creature! astonishing endurance! way more interesting than this troll thread
Yeah, he's got legs -- literally and figuratively.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-28-21, 02:05 PM
indyfabz

Yeah, he's got legs -- literally and figuratively.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-28-21, 02:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The thing about moose and ostriches is that they're both goofy, comical-looking animals that can totally kill you.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-28-21, 02:30 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
11. Moose hogging the right lane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW1lBWlRbMc
why does every bike have Drive Side on the left? jus curious
Old 10-28-21, 04:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I thought it was bad Italian.
No, I'm a bad Jew.
Old 10-28-21, 04:44 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by epnnf
why does every bike have Drive Side on the left? jus curious
They're prototypes. Big Bike is moving drive trains to the left side next year. Apparently the profits from disc brakes wasn't enough to satisfy them.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-28-21, 05:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4345 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Having had to deal with these people in bike lanes, I already have the parked cars and people deciding to walk or just hang out in the bike lane now I have to deal with people going the wrong way against the clearly marked arrows. I don't get the idea of being a salmon unless you are actually a fish then it makes sense.

In the couple of times I have ridden on the wrong side of the road I never felt safer in fact I felt a lot less safe and I was not a super experienced cyclist at the time. Yeah sure there are some laws that make no sense or are just to help those who don't need help but keeping to your lane and not riding against traffic makes a ton of sense. If the multitudes of comments in this thread haven't convinced you yet maybe please just DON'T RIDE ON THE ROAD. If you literally cannot keep on your own side anywhere maybe stick to an indoor trainer. It doesn't help anyone when you decide for yourself to ride against the flow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.