Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

humbled

Old 11-05-21, 07:55 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Screw that, I'd drown soon after I got in the water. And running? Don't make me laugh. I'm not running.
Not unless someone is chasing you!
Old 11-05-21, 08:24 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8257 Post(s)
Liked 8,977 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I think that, for me, going arrow straight is no fun, and that's more common with, but not limited to, billiard table flat landscapes. Some curves and a little undulation is enough for a good time (twhs?). Long climbs, not that there's any of those in my region, get monotonous to me, too, though.
Twisty climbs are the best. Just grinding a long, straight ramp gets old.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-05-21, 08:26 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Not unless someone is chasing you!
I was going to write that but I wonder if I could even then.
Old 11-05-21, 08:53 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
Being humbled is a good first step. Having the ego savagely crushed and shredded, left wimpering in the ditch never to be seen again, is liberating.

Remember the dude who spent a whole damn year crushing the longstanding world record for most miles in a year... only to lose it in a few months to a female cyclist? That's what I'm talking about.
Old 11-05-21, 09:10 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Being humbled is a good first step. Having the ego savagely crushed and shredded, left wimpering in the ditch never to be seen again, is liberating.

Remember the dude who spent a whole damn year crushing the longstanding world record for most miles in a year... only to lose it in a few months to a female cyclist? That's what I'm talking about.
Amanda Coker. She's not from this planet.
Old 11-05-21, 10:01 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Amanda Coker. She's not from this planet.
Yet she actually is, which makes it all the more astounding.
Old 11-06-21, 11:57 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Average speeds on Zwift are not realistic. Faster speed means more miles/time.
On reasonably flat terrain my Zwift speeds and real speeds outside are almost identical once I got my new bike. I did a century on Zwift and outside both on flat courses. My average Watts were within 1 W and the times were less than five minutes apart. So Zwift is realistic (for me) given a suitably aerodynamic bike.
Likes For guachi:
Old 11-07-21, 12:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I think that, for me, going arrow straight is no fun, and that's more common with, but not limited to, billiard table flat landscapes. Some curves and a little undulation is enough for a good time (twhs?). Long climbs, not that there's any of those in my region, get monotonous to me, too, though.
The effort itself gets kinda monotonous, I can't argue with that. Scenery keeps it interesting though. Everything changes so much from the bottom to the top.
Old 11-07-21, 04:00 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
On reasonably flat terrain my Zwift speeds and real speeds outside are almost identical once I got my new bike. I did a century on Zwift and outside both on flat courses. My average Watts were within 1 W and the times were less than five minutes apart. So Zwift is realistic (for me) given a suitably aerodynamic bike.
Same for me as long as I ride solo with no drafting from other riders. If I do a group ride on Zwift then it's a lot faster as you would expect riding in a large group. But I did a meet-up ride the other day with a friend of mine, just the two of us with no other Zwifters on the route. I led most of the ride with my friend sitting on my wheel. Average speed was very similar to what I get IRL on similar terrain. I was a little surprised because I'm so used to Zwift speeds being higher. But it's mainly down to all the drafting, presuming you are on an equivalent bike.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-07-21, 06:58 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
sounds like there is hope for video meetings
Old 11-07-21, 07:41 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,177 Times in 2,222 Posts
For me, an hour on Zwift is about the same effort, less output, but more mileage. Yeah, it's all messed up.

weird so far it has been the opposite for me,
unless I have it set up for strictly zone 2 then everything matches.
Old 11-08-21, 12:15 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,901 Posts
With Zwift and IRL I go by my heart rate and watts. I endeavor to keep my watts and heart rate within certain parameters. The mileage will differ but the end result of the workout is the same. Except with little to no coasting on Zwift - I’m beat. This time of year being able to ride indoors is a better option than 43* and driving rain - which I did for an hour and bagged, went indoors and comfortably rode the trainer. Always prefer the outdoors but during the cold dark months an alternative is welcome.

Speaking of humbled, I am participating in a November climbing challenge which I know I will not succeed. The challenge is 60.000’ outdoors during one of the PNW wettest, windy months. I was feeling pretty good putting in 2000’ and a couple of 3000’ days until one guy does 8,000’! Then the next day he does 4000’. Of course he is 25 years younger, but anyone who does that kind for climbing in one day can really humble a person regardless of age. Go figure he was the one who came up with the challange.

Last edited by rsbob; 11-08-21 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-08-21, 04:51 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
I would substitute pitied fo humbled. So many of my tri friends are divorced; it is no surprise. My mileage keeps me out of the house for 60 - 80 miles most Saturdays and Sundays, as well as time during the week. To each their own, but 13,000 miles on Zwift, although impressive is also sad.
Likes For waters60:
Old 11-08-21, 06:20 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
My own story of being humbled:

I merged onto a road just as a woman rode past, so I merged behind her. She looked to be about 5' nuthin, and looked to be about as wide as she was tall (exaggeration, but she did not conform to usual standards of appearance for "fit" people). She then proceeded to ride away up the road with no apparent effort. Taught me (again) about assuming from appearance.
Old 11-08-21, 08:59 AM
big john

Originally Posted by noimagination

I merged onto a road just as a woman rode past, so I merged behind her. She looked to be about 5' nuthin, and looked to be about as wide as she was tall (exaggeration, but she did not conform to usual standards of appearance for "fit" people). She then proceeded to ride away up the road with no apparent effort. Taught me (again) about assuming from appearance.
These days you can be fooled by e-bikes. Some are hard to tell from regular bikes. Or, it could be that you just got spanked.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-08-21, 12:55 PM
Eiko

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Somewhat for me! I do not have the mental fortitude for flat miles. I can always pedal less, nothing is forcing me to go faster. I will try to go fast for a bit, but then I forget I want to go fast. With climbs, if you stop pedaling, you go backwards. You feel the push, the gain.
I have no power and thus slow. I always wondered why I like climbing (slowly) even though I suffer and I'm just as slow on hills as on the flats. Thanks for explaining why!
Old 11-08-21, 12:58 PM
Eiko

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I was passed by her a few weeks ago too! I was truly amazed at the width of her butt as she went by me. I caught her on the next hill so physics and gravity still hold but she again motored away from me at the top of the climb. I took away your same lesson.

Last edited by Eiko; 11-08-21 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-08-21, 01:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
I would substitute pitied fo humbled. So many of my tri friends are divorced; it is no surprise. My mileage keeps me out of the house for 60 - 80 miles most Saturdays and Sundays, as well as time during the week. To each their own, but 13,000 miles on Zwift, although impressive is also sad.
Couples that sweat together stay together! 🙂
Old 11-08-21, 02:59 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
These days you can be fooled by e-bikes. Some are hard to tell from regular bikes. Or, it could be that you just got spanked.
This was a bit before e-bikes went mainstream, as I recall, so I'm going with door #2.
Old 11-08-21, 03:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by waters60
I dont think I said all 13000mi are on Zwift, but if I did that is my mistake. He has multiple bikes- a tri, a road, and an mtb for sure.
Old 11-08-21, 03:03 PM
big john

This was a bit before e-bikes went mainstream, as I recall, so I'm going with door #2.
Been there, done that.
Old 11-10-21, 06:17 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
I think it's because they're not as fun, as interesting. Although this year for the first time I have been doing some flat rides on a bike path. Must be the old age.
FUN comes in all shapes, sizes, time of day, route chosen ---

Yesterday morning's - SLOW solo 63.36 miler, start time 1:19am, elevation 96', no stopping, beautiful star studded sky above --

Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 11-10-21, 08:29 AM
big john

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
FUN comes in all shapes, sizes, time of day, route chosen ---

Yesterday morning's - SLOW solo 63.36 miler, start time 1:19am, elevation 96', no stopping, beautiful star studded sky above --

That would be different and different can be fun.
Old 11-10-21, 09:03 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Same for me as long as I ride solo with no drafting from other riders. If I do a group ride on Zwift then it's a lot faster as you would expect riding in a large group. But I did a meet-up ride the other day with a friend of mine, just the two of us with no other Zwifters on the route. I led most of the ride with my friend sitting on my wheel. Average speed was very similar to what I get IRL on similar terrain. I was a little surprised because I'm so used to Zwift speeds being higher. But it's mainly down to all the drafting, presuming you are on an equivalent bike.
Originally Posted by guachi
I find this as well. At similar outputs, my speeds on Zwift and on the road are quite similar on similar terrain. But... I have no long climbs in my area, so if I'm doing one of the zwift rides with lots of elevation (relative to what I can get here), the speed drops accordingly. In that sense, I get fewer miles on zwift for similar time dedicated.

All that said, the vast majority of my miles are outside.
Old 11-10-21, 09:26 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
I think that the main reason that Zwift mileage diverges from reality, for many of us, is that the Zwift situations are implausible in our real lives.

I live in a metro area and, with the slowing, starting and stopping of frequent traffic controls, the distance covered over a given time is going to be low when compared to effort/output. Zwift gives instant access to open roads. The other thing that I don't have regular access to is the draft of 100+ riding buddies. Oh, and I also can't divebomb downhill, hairpin turns at 50mph.

Other than that, though, it's totally real.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.