Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The bubble is upon us?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The bubble is upon us?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 05:23 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox
What time were on you on the Alpe this morning? I did the 9am (central US time) tour du zwift long ride. Did not see the Psimet tag - but I did see Psimet himself take umbrage with some impending embargoed announcement on the twitters. I immediately followed him, of course.
That was yesterday... late morning, 9:30 or so, Central.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-15-22, 05:27 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That was yesterday... late morning, 9:30 or so, Central.
My reading comprehension has obviously suffered from the bike shortage / bubble.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 01-17-22, 11:01 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
What evidence is there of a bubble?.
The bubble refers to demand. There was a rapid increase in demand that started at the beginning of the pandemic. I more than outstripped supply and capacity by an order of magnitude. That demand has subsided in the last 3 months of last quarter in the bike industry by demand returning to the same levels as pre-pandemic for that time of year.

The parts were not being made and therefore, they are not en route. I don't see the shortages of parts easing anytime soon. I have parts ordered 7 months ago and the estimate keeps getting pushed.
Parts were being made then entire time. Shimano only shut down 1 factory for a couple of months and that was mandated by the government there and the factory was making lower level components. Parts were not available in the aftermarket channels because OEM demand ate them all up and then some.

When the demand bubble hit everyone throughout the value stream of finished bicycle sales went completely nuts and panic bought. Shops ordered as much as they were allowed to because they didn't know when they would actually get anything and no one knew how long any of this would last. That demand aggregated up to the OEMs. They bought up all the component manufacturer's capacity. That pushed the smaller brands to have to step up and buy more in order to even make it on to the component manufacturer's lists. This is not a Milk and eggs style value stream. It has lead times of years. What was in the pipe for 2020 and 2021 was quickly eaten up. They increased starting at late 2021 dates and on. Luckily most companies didn't add capacity during this time. If they had they'd be hurting. Shimano did announce their capacity addition but that was already on the books and the pandemic coinciding with it was a coincidence.

So the demand bubble pops. There is still debate as to whether this is the pop we all knew was coming or not yet. We all know it WILL happen it's just a matter of when. Some in the industry feel that pop is now and thus the article and the thread here.

So demand drops back to normal levels...bikes that have a 2-5 year lead start showing up in stores. Stores don't want all of them and start cancelling their spots in the queue and passing on their options.

As for parts - the OEM channels are so baked up we won't see regular availability for most parts for quite a while. Some Shimano stuff late this year maybe? Most likely next year though as a start.

So yeah - that 7 month estimate was a complete shot in the dark. Whomever you ordered from told you that because that's what the OEM (Most likely Shimano) told them. Shimano has moved dates back over a year on items I have watched for over a year.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 01-17-22, 11:08 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by seypat
In my industry, there are items that went on backorder in March 2020 that are still on backorder. Those items aren't coming from China, either.
Yup. People really feel this strange need to come up with a single explanation for everything they see. I think it's because it allows them to feel as though they somehow understand a very large and multi-faceted issue. We've seen that a lot lately if you think about all the things people try and simplify in to whatever they think the cause du jour is.

I have been so behind and it's US production. I can't get jars and those are done by an injection molding house that is less than 12 miles form my place. On the wheel side Chris King is out over 6 months. They make almost everything in house to my knowledge. Velocity is out 2 months or so. Industry nine is 6 months. They are in house. Onyx is 8-10 weeks. White Industries is 12 weeks. All of these places manufacture either in house or domestically.

So laymen want to think everything is "China's" fault and that it's all to do with the backups in ports, etc. While that absolutely was the initial stimulus we are now dealing with the fallout ripple effects that travel through every part of every industry now. It will be YEARS before any of this starts to really ease. Years. Think about that people.

Old 01-17-22, 11:17 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Do you see any correlation there? Working for cheap makes for happy customers, but doesn't necessarily keep your business afloat for long.
Correlation? The "expensive" LBS is not charging enough, and the "cheap" bike shop sucked, and wouldn't be worth it if it was free. My original statement was matter of fact.

If you think that $95 to service a wheel is too expensive, then cycling is not for you.
Old 01-17-22, 11:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
Correlation? The "expensive" LBS is not charging enough, and the "cheap" bike shop sucked, and wouldn't be worth it if it was free. My original statement was matter of fact.

If you think that $95 to service a wheel is too expensive, then cycling is not for you.
Methinks you have completely misunderstood Baldpaul 's comment.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-17-22, 11:53 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat

Well, perhaps your original statement should have read more like ' the expensive bike shop did excellent work, and I feel $95 for the service was well worth it, however, there was another shop that offered the same service for much less to draw in customers. Unfortunately, their workmanship was sub-par, and they eventually went out of business despite their lower costs.'

But, this is a forum, and we're all mind readers. Well, except me.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-17-22, 11:59 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
The bubble refers to demand. There was a rapid increase in demand that started at the beginning of the pandemic. I more than outstripped supply and capacity by an order of magnitude. That demand has subsided in the last 3 months of last quarter in the bike industry by demand returning to the same levels as pre-pandemic for that time of year.

Parts were being made then entire time. Shimano only shut down 1 factory for a couple of months and that was mandated by the government there and the factory was making lower level components. Parts were not available in the aftermarket channels because OEM demand ate them all up and then some.

When the demand bubble hit everyone throughout the value stream of finished bicycle sales went completely nuts and panic bought. Shops ordered as much as they were allowed to because they didn't know when they would actually get anything and no one knew how long any of this would last. That demand aggregated up to the OEMs. They bought up all the component manufacturer's capacity. That pushed the smaller brands to have to step up and buy more in order to even make it on to the component manufacturer's lists. This is not a Milk and eggs style value stream. It has lead times of years. What was in the pipe for 2020 and 2021 was quickly eaten up. They increased starting at late 2021 dates and on. Luckily most companies didn't add capacity during this time. If they had they'd be hurting. Shimano did announce their capacity addition but that was already on the books and the pandemic coinciding with it was a coincidence.

So the demand bubble pops. There is still debate as to whether this is the pop we all knew was coming or not yet. We all know it WILL happen it's just a matter of when. Some in the industry feel that pop is now and thus the article and the thread here.

So demand drops back to normal levels...bikes that have a 2-5 year lead start showing up in stores. Stores don't want all of them and start cancelling their spots in the queue and passing on their options.

As for parts - the OEM channels are so baked up we won't see regular availability for most parts for quite a while. Some Shimano stuff late this year maybe? Most likely next year though as a start.

So yeah - that 7 month estimate was a complete shot in the dark. Whomever you ordered from told you that because that's what the OEM (Most likely Shimano) told them. Shimano has moved dates back over a year on items I have watched for over a year.
If I take you what you say as true (demand not a supply issue), where are all the OEM bikes with Shimano 12 speed? The stuff Shimano introduced what.......6 months ago?

Last time I checked, there is not a single SRAM D1 blip box anywhere. This is not an OEM new bike kind of part. SRAM grouppos are like hen's teeth.

Where are the Continental GP5000 TR tires?

12 Speed chains?

I see the same shortages in bike parts as I do with other consumer goods. If bike shops overordered, then, they will have to sell at fire sale prices or go out of business. Big mistake if true. Trek to the rescue.
Old 01-17-22, 12:04 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Well, perhaps your original statement should have read more like ' the expensive bike shop did excellent work, and I feel $95 for the service was well worth it, however, there was another shop that offered the same service for much less to draw in customers. Unfortunately, their workmanship was sub-par, and they eventually went out of business despite their lower costs.'

But, this is a forum, and we're all mind readers. Well, except me.
There was no mind reading involved. My original statement was matter of fact.
The "correlation" cannot be determined by the information I provided on my original post. There are just too many factors on a case by case basis (shoddily run business, gambling debts, etc.) to draw any conclusions. Even I cannot tell you why the "cheaper" shop went out of business. So to answer your original reply to my statement, no, I don't see the correlation.
Old 01-17-22, 02:20 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Overly simplistic picture of global manufacturing. Rarely are there production runs of more than 10,000 units and this may seem like a lot but it really is not. A company wanted mine to sell its products to Home Depot. Home Depot has 2300 stores and if they sold one of these products each day in each store then annual production would need to be more than 839,500 units and that was more than this company could begin to produce even if they stopped production of all their other products and sold only to Home Depot.

Demand went up for many recreation oriented products by more than 70% and this was everything from kayaks to motorhomes. Money that would have otherwise gone to pay for trips to Disney resorts or on cruise ship vacations was diverted. The appearance of electric bikes added more fuel to the fire with older riders encouraged to start riding again and these were people with the income needed to afford the expensive e-bikes. I do not expect the bike boom to collapse when the pandemic subsides around the world in several years time.
Old 01-17-22, 02:26 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Calsun
Overly simplistic picture of global manufacturing. Rarely are there production runs of more than 10,000 units and this may seem like a lot but it really is not. A company wanted mine to sell its products to Home Depot. Home Depot has 2300 stores and if they sold one of these products each day in each store then annual production would need to be more than 839,500 units and that was more than this company could begin to produce even if they stopped production of all their other products and sold only to Home Depot.

Demand went up for many recreation oriented products by more than 70% and this was everything from kayaks to motorhomes. Money that would have otherwise gone to pay for trips to Disney resorts or on cruise ship vacations was diverted. The appearance of electric bikes added more fuel to the fire with older riders encouraged to start riding again and these were people with the income needed to afford the expensive e-bikes. I do not expect the bike boom to collapse when the pandemic subsides around the world in several years time.
I'm not sure who/what you're referring to, since the OP's posts are much more detailed (and specific to this forum's topic) than yours.
Old 01-18-22, 10:59 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Calsun

The bicycle industry in the US has seen many booms and busts over the years. A pandemic and some e-bikes does not redirect an entire country's car centric culture. We will hold on to "some" of the new riders that came to cycling during the pandemic but what is clear is that the demand has already dropped - which was expected. We in the industry just argued about when it was going to drop and how many we will retain.

Old 01-18-22, 11:11 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts

I don't know anything about supply chain stuff, but my LBS had a pile of GP5000 S TR's in Nov-Dec. I picked up a pair for my new Zipp 303S wheels. It's a sweet combo.

Maybe I just got lucky.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-18-22, 11:19 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I don't know anything about supply chain stuff, but my LBS had a pile of GP5000 S TR's in Nov-Dec. I picked up a pair for my new Zipp 303S wheels. It's a sweet combo.

Maybe I just got lucky.
Awesome.

All of the handful of very large online retailers that I use have had those tires on backlog for about 6 weeks with an ETA in mid February on average.

At least not as bad as dishwashers or large appliances. I went to several local specialty appliance stores, they were giving me 12+ month wait.
Old 01-18-22, 11:47 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
It's the non-warranty stuff too. Example - guy bought a set of ENVE wheels used off Pros closet. Took them to a local shop because one, that was set up tubeless, was slowly losing air. it was a trek shop. The tech there put new rim tape on it and inflated it. *BOOM*

Blew the whole side of the rim off.

Shop guy goes, "I've never seen that happen. That's a defective rim. You should take that up with ENVE." Customer is like, "I wasn't the original buyer." They shrugged and said, "We've never built on carbon. There's this guy that builds carbon wheels. Try him." and sent him my way. I take the time to track down a rep and find out it's a common occurrence. The nipple beds, because they're molded, create a tight enough interface between the nipple and the rim that they become air tight. Then if the tubeless tape fails then the lower rim chamber gets pressurized like the upper tire side does. Their rims can't handle that hoop stress and *BOOM*. Instead of calling it a problem they call it a feature and tell everyone it's because they didn't use the official ENVE tubeless valves. Ones where the nut to tighten them against the rim is off centered drilled to allow for air that escapes into the lower chamber to vent from the rim instead of pressurizing it.

I process a claim, get a rim at cost, swap the rim, explain the problem, and get the guy going again.

So to your point - big shops just don't have the knowledge or expertise to handle anything that is beyond getting on to their dealer portal and filling out a claim form and getting a new part. Us service shops just know how to fix stuff and get people rolling again.

Again on the "simple machine" stuff. 10 Years ago I would agree. It's not that way anymore. Most of the problems and fixes I do aren't simple installs or adjustments. They're troubleshooting electrical systems or hydraulic systems. They involve an ever increasing number of specialized tools and background knowledge and even then the actual fixes are never really in a book, on a video, or in a forum because the root cause is usually not found before the OEM says, "tell the customer to buy a new one".

Externally routed, mechanical, rim brake with a standard English threaded BB days are over. Now it's suspensions, droppers, Odd ball BB standards or proprietary headshock BS, strange internal frame routings, and known electrical issues that the OE claims don't happen but there's forums full of people with the same issues. We've taken a simple pen and paper thought making a word processor would help make writing faster and ended up with twitter.
This post reminds me that the LBS I purchased a new set of Zipp wheels from refused to re-dish the rear to fit my Cannondale frame. This is a reputable boutique shop that sells high-end custom bikes and is a Zipp/SRAM authorized dealer. I was willing to pay them for this service. They made various claims, that re-dishing the wheel would void the Zipp warranty (not true), that I needed to provide them some kind of tech memo/specs from Cannondale (they aren't a C-dale dealer), or that I needed to send the wheel back to Zipp and have them do the work.

I contacted SRAM/Zipp through their online customer support chat and eventually got a response stating that this was fine, any shop could do the work, no issue with warranty, etc - but I decided to just take the wheels to another shop (the one where I purchased my Cannondale bike). They re-dished the rear wheel for a nominal fee, and seemed puzzled by the original shop's concern.

From my perspective, the first shop was overly complicating what should've been a relatively simple service to a set of new wheels that I bought from them, but maybe they've been caught up in enough exploding rim finger pointing situations that they're leery of doing anything that isn't just standard plug-and-play.
Old 01-18-22, 11:49 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la

Maybe I just got lucky.
I keep an eye on compatible tires all of the time - the 5K S TRs are out there if you're willing to pay for them. I do want to try them out, but I can't swallow the ~$80-100ea at this point. I figure that I've got about 5000 miles - hopefully I can snag a few if they dip, otherwise I'll try something else on the list.
Old 01-20-22, 10:04 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Very interesting thread

I've enjoyed the read but have to ask - what does “the bubble bursting” mean for the bicycle industry? Companies shutting down, prices dropping, oversupply?

I know it’s probably too complex to simplify, but it would help me understand this better (I’m not in the industry)

thanks
Old 01-20-22, 10:16 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Had a conversation with my LBS store’s owner

…last year during COVID. He said the supply chain would be jacked for years and repairs were keeping the shop alive. There were barely any new bikes. Recently I went to the same store and it was packed with new bikes - most with SRAM drivetrains (they said because Shimano is so hard to get)

sure are weird times

im waiting for the COVID bikes that people bought and don’t ride to drop in price on the used market - hasn’t happened yet
Likes For Symox:
Old 01-20-22, 11:02 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Externally routed, mechanical, rim brake with a standard English threaded BB days are over.
Not in my low end, vintage SS world, but you do have my sympathies. 😊

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 01-21-22, 01:32 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
If I take you what you say as true (demand not a supply issue), where are all the OEM bikes with Shimano 12 speed? The stuff Shimano introduced what.......6 months ago?

Last time I checked, there is not a single SRAM D1 blip box anywhere. This is not an OEM new bike kind of part. SRAM grouppos are like hen's teeth.

12 Speed chains?

I see the same shortages in bike parts as I do with other consumer goods. If bike shops overordered, then, they will have to sell at fire sale prices or go out of business. Big mistake if true. Trek to the rescue.
Maybe worth your time, if you listen to podcasts, to listen to this one with SRAM's CEO on the subject of supply chain issues and imbalances in the marketplace- https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000546907584 Guy doesn't strike me as the sharpest crayon in how he's interpreting the information, but the datapoints he discusses are useful for grasping both scale and complexity. This isn't a demand or supply problem, it's a parity problem. Given that this pandemic-driven wave of demand was clearly unsustainable from day one, the supply side of the equation (even if they weren't impacted by a myriad of factors impacting their ability to deliver products) were given the damned if you do, damned if you don't choice of either adding substantial capacity with all the risk that that entails (Peloton is a perfect cautionary tale), or sticking with more or less existing capacity* and letting the market sort out the impacts of scarcity for customers and end users. Given that the pandemic, even at say five years, is a relatively short-term event and the boom and bust cycle of cycling in the US, selling all of the product you can make beats the hell out of the huge investment to increase capacity...and then not be able to sell anywhere near all of that product a short time later.

*Manufacturing capacity/output is its own can of worms: the SRAM CEO mentioned adding a shift at some of their factories, which obviously increases overall capacity, but it's nowhere near enough to reach parity with recent demand. And while manufacturers may be shipping as much product as they ever have, it doesn't mean the product mix is the same now as it was in 2019. IE, if SRAM has a factory capable of turning out both groupsets that go to OE customers as well as turning out accessories like blip boxes, they're devoting more capacity to the higher volume, higher demand products. Many wrinkles to all of this

The bicycle industry in the US has seen many booms and busts over the years. A pandemic and some e-bikes does not redirect an entire country's car centric culture. We will hold on to "some" of the new riders that came to cycling during the pandemic but what is clear is that the demand has already dropped - which was expected. We in the industry just argued about when it was going to drop and how many we will retain.
Yup! Not to nitpick semantics since I agree, but the boom and bust of cycling in the US isn't just over the years, it's pretty much been there since bicycles arrived here. Hopefully one of these booms it'll stick! It's funny you should mention retention of new cyclists, one of the closing answers from the SRAM CEO was on how to keep all these new cyclists in the fold, response was something like please please please be welcoming and just nice to newer riders, even if you see them doing something "wrong." Easy enough sentiment to agree with
Old 01-22-22, 04:35 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
…last year during COVID. He said the supply chain would be jacked for years and repairs were keeping the shop alive. There were barely any new bikes. Recently I went to the same store and it was packed with new bikes - most with SRAM drivetrains (they said because Shimano is so hard to get)

sure are weird times

im waiting for the COVID bikes that people bought and don’t ride to drop in price on the used market - hasn’t happened yet
meanwhile I’m going to ride that price wave. I’ve got a Cervelo I bought in 2020 new that I’m going to get more for used than I actually paid for it two years ago.
Old 01-22-22, 04:56 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox

sure are weird times

I went to my LBS last night to grab a few things and there were loads of bikes to be had, unfortunately most of them were flat bar hybrids-they were bikes that had been ordered to stock the store for spring 2021 and just showed up in December. The owner said that you can basically get anything with a price tag over 10k easily as well as anything under $1500. It’s the 105-Ultegra level stuff that’s impossible to stock.
Old 01-22-22, 08:48 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
As messed up as the entire supply chain is..it may well get worse. I've been working on personal finances for the last week. Covid-induced issues aside, the markets have been on a rather heady expansion for 12 years. Expansions typically don't last that long(in fact I think the current one is the longest in history) and we're either overdue or long overdue for a correction. The Covid dip of March '20 was more of a special-cause flash crash than the typical market correction. While some younger folks might think "..this is a new economy and this time it's different", we said that back in 1999..and then the bubble burst in 2000.

Jeremy Grantham published an article a couple days ago that takes a deep dive into were we are at the moment...one man's opinion, but, no pun intended, at least the data shows we're in pretty much uncharted waters.

Folks predict dire events daily and 99.9% of it is all noise. I've experienced several economic "issues". Things in the economy, markets, and real estate are too weird for me at the moment...everything is smokin hot. We'll see what happens. If the markets do head south(they've been wandering that direction since the first of the year), the current supply chain issues, as discussed above, will get even more interesting. Such is life..

...and now back to our regularly scheduled program..
Likes For fishboat:
Old 01-22-22, 12:29 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by fishboat
As messed up as the entire supply chain is..it may well get worse. I've been working on personal finances for the last week. Covid-induced issues aside, the markets have been on a rather heady expansion for 12 years. Expansions typically don't last that long(in fact I think the current one is the longest in history) and we're either overdue or long overdue for a correction. The Covid dip of March '20 was more of a special-cause flash crash than the typical market correction. While some younger folks might think "..this is a new economy and this time it's different", we said that back in 1999..and then the bubble burst in 2000.

Jeremy Grantham published an article a couple days ago that takes a deep dive into were we are at the moment...one man's opinion, but, no pun intended, at least the data shows we're in pretty much uncharted waters.

Folks predict dire events daily and 99.9% of it is all noise. I've experienced several economic "issues". Things in the economy, markets, and real estate are too weird for me at the moment...everything is smokin hot. We'll see what happens. If the markets do head south(they've been wandering that direction since the first of the year), the current supply chain issues, as discussed above, will get even more interesting. Such is life..

...and now back to our regularly scheduled program..
Did you somehow miss this past week?
Old 01-22-22, 03:56 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Did you somehow miss this past week?
Nope. A drop of 8% in the SP500 does not a correction make. You taught economics..you're better than this.

My point was..the OP laid out a scenario of how things seem to be panning out assuming no significant (additional) upsets in the economy/markets. The economy/markets are in a rather rare place at the moment and there's a reasonable chance things may not go as hoped. Just an fyi..something to consider while making other plans. Someone once said something like " ..life happens while you're making other plans"

(I'm not going to derail this thread with a debate)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.