Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

What to do with a cracked frame? (late 90sRockhopper)

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 05-02-22, 11:34 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts

What to do with a cracked frame?This is a bit of a cross-post (I originally put this under C&V because I forgot there was a framebuilders forum). Anyway, I would love to give this away to someone who might want to try a repair or could maybe salvage something (probably keeping the fork, headset and stem for myself). I have a box, and would be happy to ship for the cost of shipping.

From the Classic & Vintage subform:
This isn't really a question of 'how do I fix this' it's more of a question about what should I do with this thing? I have no intention of putting any money into a repair, but I don't want this in the landfill.

My buddy was clearing out his shed, and knows I pull parts to help repair other neighborhood bikes so he gave me this (mostly) complete Rock Hopper. He got wacked by a car a few years ago, and while he was unharmed, the bike was pulled under the car and broke the chainstay. I rigged up a quick straightener jig to get a picture of how severe the crack is (I didn't put very much pressure to get it to open up). I don't think this is a highly desired frame, so I am mostly interested in hearing what this community thinks I should do with it? I pulled the mostly complete RSX groupset and may set up another frame with those parts.

Old 05-02-22, 12:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I have a box of frames just like that. A small box, like 12" x 15" x 24" It's amazing how many frames you can put in a box that size if you have a sawzall. I use the tubes for projects.
I think salvaging what you can is a good idea. But it's mostly the fork at this point.

Around here the pickers/scrappers would take it.

Last edited by unterhausen; 05-02-22 at 01:06 PM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-03-22, 01:33 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
I would happily repair it but I'm in the UK which would likely be excessively expensive for shipping. It just needs a TIG weld, a bit of brass, a sliver of car body filler, some similar paint, and then either a chainstay protector or some old-fashioned Mark I mud and you will never see it
Likes For guy153:
Old 05-03-22, 06:01 PM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Originally Posted by guy153
I would happily repair it but I'm in the UK which would likely be excessively expensive for shipping. It just needs a TIG weld, a bit of brass, a sliver of car body filler, some similar paint, and then either a chainstay protector or some old-fashioned Mark I mud and you will never see it
I like your style... my son knows how to TIG weld... maybe we should give it a go? enough mud and noone will notice! :-)
Old 05-03-22, 06:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
It would be good practice anyway. It's too bad there are no easy sources of single bend chainstays any more. Wonder if the pair I have are worth anything
Old 05-04-22, 01:36 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertUI
I like your style... my son knows how to TIG weld... maybe we should give it a go? enough mud and noone will notice! :-)
Yes go for it When I say a bit of brass, I mean I would use TIG silicon bronze, just as a kind of filler, after welding the crack with a steel rod. You could skip the brass though-- it isn't really necessary. Just car body filler is fine. So long as you have a good weld of the actual crack it's all good. Also make sure you bolt a dummy axle in place before welding to minimize distortion. You will probably still need to make some minor adjustments afterwards but this is fine.

People put huge dimples into chainstays anyway so I don't think a dent will do any harm. Also a broken CS while riding is the sort of failure you will probably get away with. Of course don't sell the frame after repairing it without full disclosure!

Last edited by guy153; 05-04-22 at 02:45 AM.
Likes For guy153:
Old 05-04-22, 06:07 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Originally Posted by guy153
Yes go for it When I say a bit of brass, I mean I would use TIG silicon bronze, just as a kind of filler, after welding the crack with a steel rod. You could skip the brass though-- it isn't really necessary. Just car body filler is fine. So long as you have a good weld of the actual crack it's all good. Also make sure you bolt a dummy axle in place before welding to minimize distortion. You will probably still need to make some minor adjustments afterwards but this is fine.

People put huge dimples into chainstays anyway so I don't think a dent will do any harm. Also a broken CS while riding is the sort of failure you will probably get away with. Of course don't sell the frame after repairing it without full disclosure!
There's not a chance I would sell this frame after attempting to repair, but you're helping give me the gumption to attempt the repair for myself (would probably just make it a single-speed grocery-getter). I figure that I don't have much to loose, as the frame's toast either way. I'll post an update if we decide to tackle it! Thanks for the encouragement, I'd much rather have it be something ridable rather than tossing it into a landfill (or cutting it up into pipes, which is something I've done in the past).
Likes For RobertUI: