Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Jeans getting too stiff for riding

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 05-01-22, 01:31 PM
slickrcbd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Does anybody have an idea what to do about jeans getting too stiff and making riding more difficult as I have to pump my legs harder to move them?
For some reason one pair of Levi's 505's black jeans I own seem to be getting stiffer than the rest. It's strange because I throw all the jeans into the same load when doing laundry and yet these are noticeably stiffer than the other 2 pair of black jeans (all Levi's 505) and the four pair of blue jeans.

Sorry I don't subscribe to a general "how to do laundry" forum, but the stiffness only really seems to matter when using my bike to do small errands and I figured other bike riders would have an idea how to solve this problem. I usually wear shorts when using the bike in warmer weather, but in the spring and fall I wear jeans so I don't get my work slacks all sweaty.
Likes For slickrcbd:
Old 05-02-22, 04:53 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 50 Posts
This is the blind leading the blind, of course, but have you tried fabric softener?
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 05-04-22, 01:14 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Fabric Softener can work but too much fabric softener over time can destroy denim fibers, leading to ripped jeans in inconvenient places...;-)

Is the OP asking because he's riding a bicycle in denim? because I usually go with just a cheap pair of jogging pants. The jogging pants can be clamped around the ankles, thus leading to less interference with the bicycle gears especially near the pedal area.
Old 05-06-22, 08:33 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by slickrcbd
Does anybody have an idea what to do about jeans getting too stiff…
steps-to-soften-denim-and-make-jeans-more-comfortable-2040404

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_: