Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

GCN '69 Merckx Climb Vid

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

GCN '69 Merckx Climb Vid

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-22, 10:55 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I watched the GCN+ video about the making of the bike. It struck me as a lot more fair than the hill climb video. Si himself seemed a lot more into the bike in that video than he does in the hill climb video, at least until he got to the part where he rode it up a hill. On the other hand, he did make some of the same ridiculous sort of comments, including listing a number of significant historic bikes he's had the chance to ride and saying the thing they had in common was that they all felt a bit rubbish. The GCN+ video has interviews with Terry Dolan, Pippa York, and Sid Barras. They all say the main advantages the modern bike would have are aerodynamics, stiffness, and weight. Dolan says the steel bike will be better descending, which Si kind of agrees with when riding except for being afraid of the brakes. Pippa York says their performance as a racer would have probably been about the same with a modern bike because it's all about the rider. Sid Barras made some ridiculous claim that he'd have won more races if he'd had a modern carbon bike (and presumably his opponents did not). Given that he was a sprinter I guess maybe there's something to that.
He should have been afraid of those brakes.
What amazed me even way back was Kelly, one of the top road sprinters of his era, rode a bonded Vitus!?!
Likes For repechage:
Old 05-27-22, 11:24 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by velomateo
I did, and the parts where Si gets a bike fit, has the frame built to his specs, then source the all the parts from some guys stash of NOS Campy were interesting. Although I cringed a bit when they badge the newly built frame as an Eddy Merckx. I think they missed an opportunity to have some fun with the paint. I think it would have been cool to create a head badge with Si's face, with some sort of GCN logo in Merckx font - all of this with the classic white and red of the Faema livery.
After that, they went back to the foolery of riding TT gears up hill.
I'm waiting for the next video when Si takes his aero carbon super bike up that same climb, turning the gear inch equivalent of what he rode on the "Merckx".
Interesting that he has the bike made for him and doesn't want to keep it. Would be great to have it around for future comparisons, like they do with that crap "Eurobike" from amazon. I understand that doesn't fit their brand, though. And, comparisons favorable to steel don't help sell their sponsor's bikes.