Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Varia radar camera RCT715 leaked

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Varia radar camera RCT715 leaked

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-22, 05:50 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
I'm amazed how polite the drivers are there.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-27-22, 06:10 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I'm amazed how polite the drivers are there.
Most of them are. We have multiple cycling clubs in the Upstate, so drivers are sort of used to seeing cyclists on the road. There are still a few, ummm, "end point of digestive tract" drivers around. Multiple scars on my body from stitches and severe road rash will attest to that.
Old 05-27-22, 06:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I didn't use the phone app. All I did was plug in the radar with the USB cable to my computer, open File Explorer, find the radar, and there they were. Easy.
Keep in mind that you weren't looking for any particular incident. Once you are, sorting through files is going to be more onerous, assuming at least moderate traffic and that you didn't do the reach-around, in the heat of the moment, to tag it. Again, not a big deal with the incentive of a major incident, but making it easy to report/document lesser transgressions would be good.
Old 05-27-22, 06:29 PM
WhyFi

Most of them are. We have multiple cycling clubs in the Upstate, so drivers are sort of used to seeing cyclists on the road. There are still a few, ummm, "end point of digestive tract" drivers around. Multiple scars on my body from stitches and severe road rash will attest to that.
If you're not already on UpRide.cc, you should look in to it. Report these ****ers, make a trail, and establish a pattern for the sake of the person that does eventually get hit by one of them.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-27-22, 07:38 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Keep in mind that you weren't looking for any particular incident. Once you are, sorting through files is going to be more onerous, assuming at least moderate traffic and that you didn't do the reach-around, in the heat of the moment, to tag it. Again, not a big deal with the incentive of a major incident, but making it easy to report/document lesser transgressions would be good.
The files will have a creation date/time stamp, so if you know the time of the incident (eg from your Garmin that you would be running if you had this), you can fish out the correct file pretty quickly.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-27-22, 07:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I didn't use the phone app. All I did was plug in the radar with the USB cable to my computer, open File Explorer, find the radar, and there they were. Easy.
That sounds very easy to automate.
Old 05-27-22, 07:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

If something bad enough happens to want to go to the trouble, I think most people will deal with this immediately when they get home, and then I don't know if it's one file per ride or one per paying car or what, but it shouldn't be like something happened a few weeks ago and you need to watch every recording from this spring to find it?
Old 05-27-22, 07:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
That sounds very easy to automate.
"Siri, find my USC-C cable, the one that actually works, and go get the radar off my bike, bring it in, plug in it and my computer, open the directory SucksToBeYouGarminFanBoi and import the files into the named directory, preserving initial creation dates and times and all metadata. Then call 911."
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-27-22, 08:03 PM
WhyFi

The files will have a creation date/time stamp, so if you know the time of the incident (eg from your Garmin that you would be running if you had this), you can fish out the correct file pretty quickly.
Yeah, I understand how the time stamps work, but I'm speaking from experience - there isn't always the presence of mind to make mental notes and, even with larger/longer files, it still takes work to hunt stuff down.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If something bad enough happens to want to go to the trouble, I think most people will deal with this immediately when they get home, and then I don't know if it's one file per ride or one per paying car or what, but it shouldn't be like something happened a few weeks ago and you need to watch every recording from this spring to find it?
They record in chunks - sifting through a lot of smaller files are is more tedious than going through fewer larger files. Ideally, you should be able to choose. I have a huge SD card, so I go with 15 min chunks, which makes finding stuff easier for me. Even so, it's not unusual for me to come home to 20+ files from one ride. Anywho, DCR noted that Garmin recorded in 30 sec clips, which seems ridiculous to me, but someone else (Bald Paul?) mentioned 90 sec, which is better, but still only something I'd select if I had really limited storage.
Old 05-27-22, 08:09 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I just ordered the Garmin dash cam, because people keep trying to kill me when I am in my car, too.
Old 05-27-22, 08:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Yeah, I understand how the time stamps work, but I'm speaking from experience - there isn't always the presence of mind to make mental notes and, even with larger/longer files, it still takes work to hunt stuff down.

They record in chunks - sifting through a lot of smaller files are is more tedious than going through fewer larger files. Ideally, you should be able to choose. I have a huge SD card, so I go with 15 min chunks, which makes finding stuff easier for me. Even so, it's not unusual for me to come home to 20+ files from one ride. Anywho, DCR noted that Garmin recorded in 30 sec clips, which seems ridiculous to me, but someone else (Bald Paul?) mentioned 90 sec, which is better, but still only something I'd select if I had really limited storage.
Thanks for taking the time to spell that out. I only do still photography so in some ways it's entirely different like finding the file you need. Obviously one of us knows what he's talking about, the other one appreciates the education.
Old 05-27-22, 09:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts

Anywho, DCR noted that Garmin recorded in 30 sec clips, which seems ridiculous to me, but someone else (Bald Paul?) mentioned 90 sec, which is better, but still only something I'd select if I had really limited storage.
As I understand it, locked file recording duration can be set at various intervals using the app, so while riding, that means user triggered clips or incident triggered clips. All other clips, i.e. not locked/unsaved, are 30sec long.
Old 05-27-22, 09:38 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by chaadster
As I understand it, locked file recording duration can be set at various intervals using the app, so while riding, that means user triggered clips or incident triggered clips. All other clips, i.e. not locked/unsaved, are 30sec long.
Ick. I mean, I could understand that with limited/non-expandable storage, and sure it "works," but there's just no reason not to have more flexibility and user-friendliness at this point.
Old 05-28-22, 04:57 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I assume someone (not garmin of course) will make a utility to automagically splice together the absurd number of tiny little movies.
Hopefully they are contiguous.
Likes For znomit:
Old 05-28-22, 05:14 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
I assume someone (not garmin of course) will make a utility to automagically splice together the absurd number of tiny little movies.
If you want to use it as an "Action Cam", it can be set to record continuously. Even my GoPro will break up a long recording into 8 minute segments. Honestly, though, the footage is pretty boring 99.9% of the time. Who wants to watch hours of the top of their rear tire spinning along the road? When I used my GoPro (I still use one facing forward) I would routinely delete all video without even watching it, unless I was looking for a particular incident.
The only 'tiny little movie' I would be interested in would be the one with a close pass, harassment, or (not again!) getting hit.
Old 05-28-22, 07:23 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by znomit
Cameras of this class aren't new, not even to Garmin, and existing utilities will splice them together to spit out a seamless video, but you still have to filter through all of the files, gather together the desired files, wait for the computer to think, etc. But again, cameras of this class aren't new - it's 2022 - and we're talking about a $400 product; we shouldn't need to make excuses and look to others for put a Band-Aid on the user experience.

If you want to use it as an "Action Cam", it can be set to record continuously.
In teeny-tiny clips.

Honestly, though, the footage is pretty boring 99.9% of the time. Who wants to watch hours of the top of their rear tire spinning along the road?
People with less boring rides.
Old 05-28-22, 07:28 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Yeah, that's what I would have done too. Wouldn't have messed around trying to use BT with a phone app. So that would be a non-issue then really.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-28-22, 08:42 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I have a mount that attaches to the saddle rails that enables you to attach a GoPro or other action cam, so you can get an arse POV recording to your heart's content.

The small clips actually make sorting through the video easier. Every operating system I use displays movie files in a file browser window with an icon derived from one of the initial frames, so you can visually ID everything in 90 sec (or whatever) time-slices.

It isn't a deficit, it is an asset.

I'm still trying to get python working on my Edge 530. Darn Garmin for limiting the utility of my computer!
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-28-22, 10:11 AM
WhyFi

I have a mount that attaches to the saddle rails that enables you to attach a GoPro or other action cam, so you can get an arse POV recording to your heart's content.

The small clips actually make sorting through the video easier. Every operating system I use displays movie files in a file browser window with an icon derived from one of the initial frames, so you can visually ID everything in 90 sec (or whatever) time-slices.

It isn't a deficit, it is an asset.

I'm still trying to get python working on my Edge 530. Darn Garmin for limiting the utility of my computer!
With 30 seconds clips, I would regularly go on rides generating 600+ files.

If you see small clips as an asset, that's cool, but others will see it as a detriment. At this time and price point, there's no reason that end users shouldn't be able configure to their own preferences - other manufacturers certainly do.
Old 05-28-22, 10:24 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

You should get Garmin to hire you as a consultant.
Old 05-28-22, 10:36 AM
WhyFi

I get that people want to feel good about (prospective) purchases, but you should try not to get emotionally defensive (on behalf of a global corporation, no less) when others point out shortcomings vs competitors.
Old 05-28-22, 10:41 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I get that people want to feel good about (prospective) purchases, but you should try not to get emotionally defensive (on behalf of a global corporation, no less) when others point out shortcomings vs competitors.
I decided not to purchase it, mainly based on the reviews (and secondarily, the price), even though I was initially enthusiastic, so the feel-good/emotional aspect doesn't apply. I am still on the Gen 1 box-shaped radar (although I did place an order for the $150 sale current light/radar only).

But I try to evaluate things objectively. There are clear limitations to this device, such as battery life, lack of higher resolution and image stabilization, crappy (but optional) ancillary software. Then there are bogus objections, like yours.

By the way, who are the competitors in the camera/radar field? I might have missed a few.

If you don't like the product, there is a very simple solution. Do what I am doing. Don't buy it.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 05-28-22 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-28-22, 11:11 AM
Seattle Forrest

Ick. I mean, I could understand that with limited/non-expandable storage, and sure it "works," but there's just no reason not to have more flexibility and user-friendliness at this point.
At this time and price point, there's no reason that end users shouldn't be able configure to their own preferences - other manufacturers certainly do.
​​​​​​Not unheard of in first generation products.

Two reasons come to mind for this:
  1. People complain about Garmin menus. They let people decide how a lot of things work (yay!) and people hate doing it.
  2. It takes a ton of time and effort to add choices to the user interface. Devs and testers and cycles of bug fixes and regression. (More options also mean more risk.)
Probably the reason was to hit a launch date.

I'm not saying anything about how the world should be except that people should buy stuff like this from stores with generous return policies, and wait for other people to jump in the water first on v1 products.
Old 05-28-22, 11:18 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Given the near-universal reaction, they should have hired almost literally anyone as a consultant.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-28-22, 11:23 AM
Seattle Forrest

Garmin has a page where you can sign up for recruiter spam if you want to work for them.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.