Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Domane SL 5 vs Cervélo Caledonia 105

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-28-22, 01:47 AM
QXB

Bikes: None at the moment

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

Not asking to help compare both bikes as I’ve had a chance to ride both in multiple sizes. I’m more asking advise on which I should purchase given a few variables.

Both are the same price up front, but there’s a few factors that concern me with both. The Cervélo concerns me because of it’s press fit BB and lack of dealers and or support. If I purchased a Cervélo it would be from a chain store called Erick’s Bike, Board and Ski.

The Trek I would be purchasing from an LBS. In the domane’s case I would need to replace the stock handlebar to a shorter reach and width, so that incurs a bit of added cost. Also, given I live in the Midwest I’m basically in Trek central so servicing it would never be an issue.

It’s quite the dilemma for sure, both are nice bikes for different reasons. The Cervélo has a snappy fun acceleration to it while still being comfortable, plus right of the box it would be set up and ready to go. The Trek Domane seems to be the ole reliable, it’s just I’d have to spend a bit more to make it work for me.
Old 05-28-22, 05:44 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Surprised a bit on your mention that the Trek would require a reduced reach handlebar. The Domane has probably one of the shortest frame reach ratios vs stack of the bikes out there. However, just looked at component list and see that the specced handlebars for any frame size above a 52cm has a 10cm reach (weird in this day and age where 8cm is fashionable).

Also, just a couple or so threads down from here, there's a Domane SL discussion -- seems that the stock bottom bracket ain't so great. Erik's is a good size chain, right? Good and bad -- if they have a good mech on staff, then no worries. I'd think a big chain has clout with the manufacturer if they go to bat for you on a warranty issue, while the Trek (owned?) store is also doing double-duty protecting Trek's interests? Maybe choose based on which color you like better?
Old 05-28-22, 06:05 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by QXB
Hi all,

Not asking to help compare both bikes as I’ve had a chance to ride both in multiple sizes. I’m more asking advise on which I should purchase given a few variables.

Both are the same price up front, but there’s a few factors that concern me with both. The Cervélo concerns me because of it’s press fit BB and lack of dealers and or support. If I purchased a Cervélo it would be from a chain store called Erick’s Bike, Board and Ski.

The Trek I would be purchasing from an LBS. In the domane’s case I would need to replace the stock handlebar to a shorter reach and width, so that incurs a bit of added cost. Also, given I live in the Midwest I’m basically in Trek central so servicing it would never be an issue.

It’s quite the dilemma for sure, both are nice bikes for different reasons. The Cervélo has a snappy fun acceleration to it while still being comfortable, plus right of the box it would be set up and ready to go. The Trek Domane seems to be the ole reliable, it’s just I’d have to spend a bit more to make it work for me.
FWIW, I have 2 Cervelo bikes and neither have ever had a problem with the BB. BB standard would be last on my list when choosing a bike.

Did you look to see if there are any dealers within a reasonable dist?
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 05-28-22, 06:19 AM
QXB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
FWIW, I have 2 Cervelo bikes and neither have ever had a problem with the BB. BB standard would be last on my list when choosing a bike.

Did you look to see if there are any dealers within a reasonable dist?
There’s a couple Cervélo dealers within an hour from me. One is an LBS that sells in Felt, Cannondale, and Cervélo bikes. The other is Erik’s Bike Board and Ski which sells all sorts of sporting goods.
Old 05-28-22, 06:32 AM
QXB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Surprised a bit on your mention that the Trek would require a reduced reach handlebar. The Domane has probably one of the shortest frame reach ratios vs stack of the bikes out there. However, just looked at component list and see that the specced handlebars for any frame size above a 52cm has a 10cm reach (weird in this day and age where 8cm is fashionable).

Also, just a couple or so threads down from here, there's a Domane SL discussion -- seems that the stock bottom bracket ain't so great. Erik's is a good size chain, right? Good and bad -- if they have a good mech on staff, then no worries. I'd think a big chain has clout with the manufacturer if they go to bat for you on a warranty issue, while the Trek (owned?) store is also doing double-duty protecting Trek's interests? Maybe choose based on which color you like better?
Yeah I was about as surprised as you when I felt stretched out on the Domane. It surprises me it comes stock with a longer reach handlebar as that negates the frame’s upright geometry quite a bit.

The LBS carries Trek, but also felt and surly bikes. However, yesterday I phoned them to ask if I could trade in my Emonda ALR 5 and the woman on the phone said Trek didn’t want them to take in anymore trade ins. I was a bit off put by this as they were seemingly willing to let a potential buyer walk away. In the chain stores case I would order the bike online and I could either have it delivered to my door or have it shipped to store to pick up.
Old 05-28-22, 06:46 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
Trek company stores in our area take trades. You get blue book value if in good condition.
Old 05-28-22, 07:13 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Bike service isn't like like taking a BMW to a Benz dealer. Any bike should should be able to adjust your gears or lube your chain.

Cervelo BB is not an issue.

Ole reliable sounds boring.

You did not say what size but the frames are pretty similar. The Trek has a shorter reach but generally Trek's have slacker seat tube angles and they should be pretty similar to the Cervelo. The Cervelo has more reach but less STA and less stack, so, it should feel slightly more sporty compared to the laid back ole reliable.

Greg would get the Cervelo
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-28-22, 07:26 AM
QXB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Bike service isn't like like taking a BMW to a Benz dealer. Any bike should should be able to adjust your gears or lube your chain.

Cervelo BB is not an issue.

Ole reliable sounds boring.

You did not say what size but the frames are pretty similar. The Trek has a shorter reach but generally Trek's have slacker seat tube angles and they should be pretty similar to the Cervelo. The Cervelo has more reach but less STA and less stack, so, it should feel slightly more sporty compared to the laid back ole reliable.

Greg would get the Cervelo
For the Trek I would go for a 58cm and the Cervélo a 56cm. Both have relatively the same top tube effective length. The Cervélo is certainly more fun to ride, but I don’t know how it would feel after 50 plus miles. I’m someone who likes to go on long bike rides multiple times a week.
Old 05-28-22, 07:39 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by QXB
For the Trek I would go for a 58cm and the Cervélo a 56cm. Both have relatively the same top tube effective length. The Cervélo is certainly more fun to ride, but I don’t know how it would feel after 50 plus miles. I’m someone who likes to go on long bike rides multiple times a week.
I am considering the Caledonia myself right now but availability is a bit of an issue. My next long ride will be 600km and then a 1200km after that. The geometry is nearly identical to my Cervelo S3 except longer chainstays and less headtube angle. So, a bit longer and a touch more trail for stability. Room for 32 mm tires and hardware for fenders. I do not know the layup of the carbon but assume very similar to me S3. It was designed for Paris Roubaix. What is comfortable for me might not be for you. I consider 50 miles to be a short ride. YMMV
Old 05-28-22, 07:54 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I owned a Domane SL5 - my R3, which has tighter tire clearance than the Caledonia, is a smidge less comfy than the Domane on 6+ hour rides, but still very comfy on 6+ hour rides. I'd go Cervelo all the way if the handling appeals to you.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-28-22, 08:41 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
The Domane has bigger tire clearance than the Caledonia. The Caledonia is more of a road bike that takes road+ tires, while the Domane is more of a full-on gravel bike. Which would you prefer? Both are good, but cross-shopping them is like comparing a 4Runner to an Accord.
Old 05-29-22, 11:23 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by QXB
I can ride my C3 all day and regularly do weekend rides well more than twice than distance. If I were in the market for another bike #1 on my list of prospects would be the Caledonia 5.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 05-29-22, 12:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've had a few Cervelos and never any BB issues.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-29-22, 02:48 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10060 Post(s)
Liked 5,040 Times in 2,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I've had a few Cervelos and never any BB issues.

My C2 always made a popping sound on low rpm high torque situations. BB went kaput at 5000 miles, which is pretty good. Threw a new BB on there and it makes the same popping noise. That’s all I can contribute to this thread.

Dont get me started on Brake Rub.
Old 05-29-22, 02:49 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by bampilot06
My C2 always made a popping sound on low rpm high torque situations. BB went kaput at 5000 miles, which is pretty good. Threw a new BB on there and it makes the same popping noise. That’s all I can contribute to this thread.

Dont get me started on Brake Rub.

Oh, My madone has the T47 bottom bracket which I think is the same as the domane you are looking at. That went kaput at 3,000 miles.

I guess I do have more to add to this thread.
Old 05-29-22, 02:57 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
if customer service is a factor, then Trek is not your brand.

I didn't put CS at the top of my list when I was looking for a dropbar CF bicycle. Ended up with the Domane. No regerts.
Old 05-29-22, 03:09 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Troul
if customer service is a factor, then Trek is not your brand.

I didn't put CS at the top of my list when I was looking for a dropbar CF bicycle. Ended up with the Domane. No regerts.

Is that “not” supposed to be in the first sentence?
Old 05-29-22, 03:14 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
Customer service at the two Trek stores I use has been outstanding.

Several times stuff has been fixed/adjusted while I wait. I’ve never had to leave the bike. The charges for service have been anywhere from $0.00 to $25.00. That’s out of warranty.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 05-29-22, 03:36 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Customer service at the two Trek stores I use has been outstanding.

Several times stuff has been fixed/adjusted while I wait. I’ve never had to leave the bike. The charges for service have been anywhere from $0.00 to $25.00. That’s out of warranty.

same here. BB was replaced for free.
Old 05-29-22, 05:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
The lbs CS is fine, but Trek beyond that could do better.
Old 05-30-22, 08:24 AM
ratell

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
If you like riding the Cervelo buy it! It’s a great bike. As others have said ongoing repairs can be any bike shop. If you have a warranty issue you’ll need to work through the dealer, but it’s really Cervelo you’ll be working with.

Here’s an interesting interview with someone from Cervelo about the Caledonia.

For instance, most endurance bike raise the front which impacts handling instead they lowered the bottom bracket (since you don’t need to pedal through corners if you aren’t racing) increasing the stack while maintaining the handling. The domane is also a great bike, but you should buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.
Likes For ratell:
Old 05-30-22, 03:17 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
I don't know why service would be an issue except for warranty. The components aren't specific (in general) to any brand. Any good shop can take care of your bike.

I'd by the Cervelo if I liked it. If it didn't, I'd look at every other brand that is within reasonable distance, or online. I'll admit a bias against Trek. I just enjoy having stuff of equal or better quality and value that isn't the same as everyone else, so Cervelo would probably be an example of that as long as it suited me.

RE: press fit BB's We have two press fit BBs in the family - both PF30. I've never heard nor seen any problems with the original PF bearings. However, just for something to do a couple of winters ago, and thinking it was about time to replace them, I replaced the older bike's with a "screw together" PF 30 bottom bracket from Praxis. Liking that design when I built up a new PF30 BB bike last spring, I used a Wheels Mfg. version of the same sort of thing. They're similar but slightly different in application. But, if you're at all concerned with the press fit bottom bracket (unlikely as problems are), it's easily resolved with a thread together.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-31-22 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-30-22, 03:30 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
OP is making Erik's bike shop sound like it's a big box Dick's Sporting Goods or similar. It isn't, it's a bike shop with small stores, albeit a small midwest chain. If Erik's now sells Cervelo (didn't last I checked, but it's been a while), then it shouldn't be an issue getting it serviced there...or anywhere else. FWIW I take both of my bikes (one Colnago, one Specialized) to Grand Performance in St. Paul. The former was bought there, the latter was bought at Erik's and is not sold by Grand. Nothing against Erik's, I just prefer Grand for service work.
Old 05-30-22, 07:41 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I bought a Caledonia ten months ago and really like it. It's possible that if I'd bought a Domane I'd like it just as much, but the Caledonia appealed to me more than competing bikes. I've had no BB issues, and with regard to longer rides have completed one Century on it with no issues. Two good bikes, so get the one that speaks to you. I heard the Caledonia calling my name, and it's been good so far.
Old 05-30-22, 09:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have a Cervelo C3 which is very similar but older. It's a very fun bike to ride. I love the handling. It accelerates well. I can take it on dirt roads in the mountains around here and ride it pretty fast in good conditions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.