Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

"Skipping gears" after new chain and rear derail. pulleys

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

"Skipping gears" after new chain and rear derail. pulleys

Old 06-08-20, 07:00 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by elcyc
The new components act fine on a bike stand, pedaling at the smallest cassette cog. I even simulated added torque applying small amount of brake.
All power transmission and gear shifting, on the stand, is smooth and crisp.
BUT ... the problem remains on the road under actual conditions. Essentially, the three smallest cogs (on the HG50 7-speed cassette) are now useless.
I did notice that the skipping is worst when torque is light to moderate. If I apply the brake slightly to increase torque, the skipping reduces.

I'd have to say that in the 27 years I've owned this bike -- over a dozen chains, and three cassettes -- this is the first time I've encountered this issue.

AGAIN: On the stand ... what issue ? ?
Again, textbook example of new chain on worn cassette.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-08-20, 07:33 PM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Hard to find a replacement ... that teeth ratio, 13-23, is quite ideal for my commuting use.
Anyway ...
A local eBay seller had this so I went with it ...
"New Shimano CS-HG41 7-Speed Bicycle Cassette Sprocket Hyperglide - 11-28T"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Shimano...T/173885710869
About $19.00 total delivered. Should be here in a few days.
Old 06-08-20, 08:49 PM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Again, textbook example of new chain on worn cassette.
I don't get it.
Growing up with 10-speed Peugeots, Raleighs and Schwinns ... riding thru salt and snow ... never washing these bikes ... and lubing twice a year (if that!) ... and NEVER replacing chains (much less freewheels, etc) ... I don't ever recall skipping or jumping issues.
Likes For elcyc:
Old 06-08-20, 10:13 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
Any signs that this cassette would need replacing?

No. More likely ghost shifting. What gears doe it happen in? Check hanger alignment.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 06-08-20, 10:34 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I don't get it.
Growing up with 10-speed Peugeots, Raleighs and Schwinns ... riding thru salt and snow ... never washing these bikes ... and lubing twice a year (if that!) ... and NEVER replacing chains (much less freewheels, etc) ... I don't ever recall skipping or jumping issues.
Old chains on old cassettes don't usually skip. It's when you replace an old chain which has stretched more than about 3/32" in 12". The stretched chain will wear the cogs. If you spend more time in the little cogs they'll wear faster.

Also, if you never lube your chain they'll wear faster so when you do change the chain you'll be forced to change the cassette as well. Not a big deal if the cassette is inexpensive but if you're running expensive cassettes it pays to keep up with your chain maintenance.
Old 06-09-20, 05:05 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I don't get it.
Really?

You don’t get why you never experienced the effects of a new chain on a worn cassette when you never replaced your chain?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-09-20, 06:25 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
I don't get it. Growing up with 10-speed Peugeots, Raleighs and Schwinns ... riding thru salt and snow ... never washing these bikes ... and lubing twice a year (if that!) ... and NEVER replacing chains (much less freewheels, etc) ... I don't ever recall skipping or jumping issues.

If you never replaced your chains, then you never experienced the mis-match of a new chain on a worn sprocket.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-09-20, 07:06 AM
elcyc

Huh??

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If you never replaced your chains, then you never experienced the mis-match of a new chain on a worn sprocket.
Huh???
See post 17, second to last sentence.
https://www.bikeforums.net/21522364-post17.html

If the "mismatch" issue was/is common, as many of the commenters in this thread are claiming, then wouldn't chain and cassette would be sold in sets? And/or chain or cassette instruction manuals note that phenomena contextually? And/or bike books and YouTube videos and Internet articles/blogs note the "mismatch" issue?
If you know of any specific references, outside of BF, please provide a hyperlink.

Another thing .... many of you are pointing to the cassette as the culprit. I concur it may be the reason (tho' from my inspection, usage notes, and photos, I don't think it's that worn) .... but it may very well be the KMC chain (being overly sensitive or poor QC) . In prev. years, I've used SRAM and SHIMANO, w/o concurrent cassette replacement (in fact, that's the norm for me and most folks) ... and, surprise .... NO SKIPPING ISSUES!!!
Likes For elcyc:
Old 06-09-20, 07:26 AM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Huh???
If the "mismatch" issue was/is common, as many of the commenters in this thread are claiming, then wouldn't chain and cassette would be sold in sets?
If the chain is replaced before it is worn beyond the point of no return, you dont have to replace the cassette. This is the key, making sure you don't run a severely worn chain on your drivetrain. If you replace the chain before it starts to deform the cassette, then a new chain will mesh properly with the rest of your drivetrain. I was surprised the first time i had these same skipping symptoms on a bike that i had just replaced the chain, as it was only a year old - but i logged a lot of rain miles on that bike, and wore the chain too far before replacing - could only ride on the biggest 2 cogs in the rear without skipping under load. New cassette was needed, and it rode like new after. Luckily the crank chainrings were still okay. I now keep a closer eye on the chain wear of all my bikes.

ps: you need a new cassette
Old 06-09-20, 07:28 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Hard to find a replacement ... that teeth ratio, 13-23, is quite ideal for my commuting use.
Anyway ...
A local eBay seller had this so I went with it ...
"New Shimano CS-HG41 7-Speed Bicycle Cassette Sprocket Hyperglide - 11-28T"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Shimano...T/173885710869
About $19.00 total delivered. Should be here in a few days.
Did you save the discarded links from your new chain? Then you’ll need another quick link.

If you didn’t, you’ll need a new chain to replace your new chain.

-mr. bill
Old 06-09-20, 07:33 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
@elcyc , my experience in a very similar situation: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...kmc-chain.html

(The topic starts out with the link then meanders into cassette replacement.)

I hope you tell us what you end up with for a cassette because I'm going to need to replace an HG50 (or lay it in as a spare for whenever I do need it) pretty soon too.
Old 06-09-20, 07:34 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Huh???
You don't see the issue on the workstand because you can't apply enough force to make the mismatch apparent. The fact remains, the problem as described is absolutely classic for running a new chain on a worn sprocket.

If the "mismatch" issue was/is common, as many of the commenters in this thread are claiming, then wouldn't chain and cassette would be sold in sets?
A competent bike shop will always recommend a freewheel/cassette replacement whenever a new chain is indicated.

And/or chain or cassette instruction manuals note that phenomena contextually? And/or bike books and YouTube videos and Internet articles/blogs note the "mismatch" issue?
If you know of any specific references, outside of BF, please provide a hyperlink.
Ok:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-wear.html

Another thing .... many of you are pointing to the cassette as the culprit. I concur it may be the reason (tho' from my inspection, usage notes, and photos, I don't think it's that worn)
The problem was described as happening on the smallest sprockets. Those have the fewest teeth, and thus wear the fastest and exhibit the problem the soonest. If the problem were occurring on all the sprockets, that would call for a different diagnosis.

In prev. years, I've used SRAM and SHIMANO, w/o concurrent cassette replacement (in fact, that's the norm for me and most folks) ... and, surprise .... NO SKIPPING ISSUES!!!
That suggests that the drivetrain in those cases was not as worn as the drivetrain you are currently having problems with.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-09-20, 07:35 AM
CoogansBluff

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
No. More likely ghost shifting. What gears doe it happen in? Check hanger alignment.
Happens more likely in middle gears and smaller chainwheel. It also seemed to happen more toward the end of the ride, fwiw. I might take it back to shop and get a second adjustment.
Old 06-09-20, 08:31 AM
elcyc

To control the experiment, I'm re-installing the orig (3-year old) KMC chain back onto this cassette until the new cassette arrives.
Old 06-09-20, 08:53 AM
elcyc

Enough force is not the issue.

You don't see the issue on the workstand because you can't apply enough force to make the mismatch apparent.

"Enough" force, in my experiments, is not the issue, as I noted earlier. With the bike not moving (say front wheel against a tree), I can shift to the smallest cog, and push the pedal (with feet in usual position) as hard as possible. NO SKIP.
When the chain is moving (bike moving with me pedaling, as normal), some of the chain is "airborne" with less "dynamic" contact area "per square inch". And this seems to be when the issue occurs. But I don't understand why I can't replicate the skipping issue on the stand (applying some braking, or other tire friction, to simulate road resistance, as noted earlier). It may be that road vibrations (rubber against the road), aka sympathetic vibrations and "resonance", are the missing variables in this confusing equation ? ? ?
Old 06-09-20, 09:08 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
"Enough" force, in my experiments, is not the issue, as I noted earlier. With the bike not moving (say front wheel against a tree), I can shift to the smallest cog, and push the pedal (with feet in usual position) as hard as possible. NO SKIP.
When the chain is moving (bike moving with me pedaling, as normal), some of the chain is "airborne" with less "dynamic" contact area "per square inch". And this seems to be when the issue occurs. But I don't understand why I can't replicate the skipping issue on the stand (applying some braking, or other tire friction, to simulate road resistance, as noted earlier). It may be that road vibrations (rubber against the road), aka sympathetic vibrations and "resonance", are the missing variables in this confusing equation ? ? ?
Interesting. Likely guess: the skipping event initiates as the moving chain attempts to engage the worn teeth. Under conditions in which the chain and sprocket are not in motion, the chain is sufficiently engaged on several teeth to obviate the possibility of slipping.
Old 06-09-20, 09:21 AM
elcyc

Just curious ... anyone know of source for JUST cassette COGS (i.e., w/o cassette)?
Looking for 13 , 14 , 15T cogs for 7/8-spd chain.
PayPal works for me .. PM if you can help. Thx.
P.S. I still plan on installing the new HG41 cassette when it arrives. But (a) it is not an HG50 "grade" and (b) I specifically want the (hard to find in a cassstte ) 13 , 14 , 15T cogs as they are most useful in my application.

P.S.
An old thread (I did end up getting that HG50, a little over a year after this thread --- that's the one in question now):
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ct-why-so.html

Last edited by elcyc; 06-09-20 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-09-20, 09:45 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

The chain can only skip if the sprocket is under load and allowed to move. With the front wheel jammed against a tree, that can't happen.

You have rejected all the advice of experienced mechanics here. Have fun figuring it out.

<plonk>
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-09-20, 10:02 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Just curious ... anyone know of source for JUST cassette COGS (i.e., w/o cassette)?
Looking for 13 , 14 , 15T cogs for 7/8-spd chain.
PayPal works for me .. PM if you can help. Thx.
P.S. I still plan on installing the new HG41 cassette when it arrives. But (a) it is not an HG50 "grade" and (b) I specifically want the (hard to find in a cassstte ) 13 , 14 , 15T cogs as they are most useful in my application.
If your bike still has a two-chainring setup, you might consider using the big ring with the middle sprockets rather than the small ring with the smallest sprockets. You'll get much more life out of the cassette that way.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-09-20, 10:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Huh???

If the "mismatch" issue was/is common, as many of the commenters in this thread are claiming, then wouldn't chain and cassette would be sold in sets? And/or chain or cassette instruction manuals note that phenomena contextually? And/or bike books and YouTube videos and Internet articles/blogs note the "mismatch" issue?

Another thing .... many of you are pointing to the cassette as the culprit. I concur it may be the reason (tho' from my inspection, usage notes, and photos, I don't think it's that worn) .... but it may very well be the KMC chain (being overly sensitive or poor QC) . In prev. years, I've used SRAM and SHIMANO, w/o concurrent cassette replacement (in fact, that's the norm for me and most folks) ... and, surprise .... NO SKIPPING ISSUES!!!
OK, you got us. We’ve all been yanking your chain (no pun intended) with this cassette nonsense. Its just a thing we do with the new guy, like sending them to fetch the left-handed screwdriver or board stretcher.

Go buy a new chain and report back.

Last edited by Kapusta; 06-09-20 at 10:22 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-09-20, 03:05 PM
elcyc

The chain can only skip if the sprocket is under load and allowed to move. With the front wheel jammed against a tree, that can't happen.
Of course it can slip statically if the cog teeth are are VERY worn.
BTW: You somehow ignored my experiment with bike on stand, pedaling, with resistive load on the tire/wheel (e.g. light braking). You also ignored my theory about road vibration being -- potentially -- the random element.

Last edited by elcyc; 06-09-20 at 03:15 PM.
Likes For elcyc:
Old 06-09-20, 03:11 PM
elcyc

Originally Posted by Trakhak
If your bike still has a two-chainring setup, you might consider using the big ring with the middle sprockets rather than the small ring with the smallest sprockets. You'll get much more life out of the cassette that way.
Three-CR crank ... and I mostly use the middle ring. 31T Deore. Which,btw, i replaced only about a week ago.
Old 06-10-20, 05:45 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Yes, it's common. It just stands to reason that chains and cassette gears both suffer from wear. The cassette wears more as the chain 'stretches.' So to prevent cassette wear, keep your chain lubed and replace it before it wears too much. On my recumbents, I find that I need to replace my cassettes about every other chain. My chains last longer than on an upright, so we're talking 4-6 chains. If I let my chains go longer between replacement, it might well be that every chain required a new cassette. BTW, since chains and cassettes wear together, that means running a new chain on a worn cassette can ruin the new chain in a very short time. I don't know how many miles you've put on your new chain since this began, but you should probably measure it. Pin to pin, 24 links (12 outer plates) should measure exactly 12 inches. It's be sucky to put a new cassette on and find you have the same problem because now your new chain is worn.
Old 06-10-20, 05:46 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
unbelievable....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-10-20, 07:29 AM
elcyc

Thanks!

You have rejected all the advice of experienced mechanics here.
I forgot to thank you for that advice .... for my new sig. line .
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Likes For elcyc:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.