Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel for cyclocross racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 12:11 PM
2bridges1bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Gravel for cyclocross racing

So I am thinking to get a Giant Revolt. Main use would be mixed terrain rides. But I am also curious to try cyclocross racing at some point. Would a Revolt be able to handle a cross race? I would not be trying to win, just have fun.
Old 11-09-21, 12:48 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Yup it will do that.
Likes For tdilf:
Old 11-09-21, 01:11 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Sprinkle a handful of gravel on the course (discreetly) before the race and you'll be fine.
Old 11-10-21, 02:42 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
A Giant Revolt will be just fine for some casual/recreational CX racing. Nice bike!
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 11-10-21, 02:51 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by 2bridges1bike
So I am thinking to get a Giant Revolt. Main use would be mixed terrain rides. But I am also curious to try cyclocross racing at some point. Would a Revolt be able to handle a cross race? I would not be trying to win, just have fun.
Like you, I ride CX for fun (well ... you'd never guess I'm having 'fun' by the pic below). My Breezer Radar Pro is a fine CX bike. Here are a couple things I've found with a gravel bike on CX: the longer frame that's great on long gravel rides is not as maneuverable on twist CX courses; and gravel tires that have a smaller lug on the center line are great at rolling over gravel, lose grip easily on steep grassy climbs.

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-10-21, 03:20 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I used to worry about these kinds of questions long ago, but in reality - you can race just about anything in CX as long as it can take "off road" tires (33mm or wider). I've seen FTD (fastest time of day) on a mountain bike, more casual racers doing fat bikes, old 27" tire tandems, whatever. come, play, and enjoy.

If you want to get technical, a CX bike will do a tight U-turn faster than a gravel bike, and you really don't have to worry about pedal strike. They have flat top tubes to make them easier to carry. But CX bikes have gotten all gravelly (witness Specialized new big $$$ CX/Gravel race bike. one bike for everything).

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Like you, I ride CX for fun (well ... you'd never guess I'm having 'fun' by the pic below). My Breezer Radar Pro is a fine CX bike. Here are a couple things I've found with a gravel bike on CX: the longer frame that's great on long gravel rides is not as maneuverable on twist CX courses; and gravel tires that have a smaller lug on the center line are great at rolling over gravel, lose grip easily on steep grassy climbs.
Toad - are you laughing or crying in that picture???
Likes For chas58:
Old 11-10-21, 03:22 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by chas58
I used to worry about these kinds of questions long ago, but in reality - you can race just about anything in CX as long as it can take "off road" tires (33mm or wider). I've seen FTD (fastest time of day) on a mountain bike, more casual racers doing fat bikes, old 27" tire tandems, whatever. come, play, and enjoy.

Both?!? That's my "I can't get enough oxygen face"
Old 11-10-21, 03:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58

If you want to get technical, a CX bike will do a tight U-turn faster than a gravel bike, and you really don't have to worry about pedal strike. They have flat top tubes to make them easier to carry. But CX bikes have gotten all gravelly (witness Specialized new big $$$ CX/Gravel race bike. one bike for everything).

Exactly. I did my first CX season on an old Trek 660 where I jammed the skinniest knobbies I could find in there.
Old 11-10-21, 04:30 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I've just started cross racing this year. In every race during the first lap I think, "why am I doing this again," then I see the lap board and think, "dear God, there's really that many laps left," followed by struggling to breathe, messing up at least one dismount / remount, all to be ended with "I can't believe how much fun that was; can't wait for next week!"

Oh, I'm using an actual CX bike, but have a new gravel bike theoretically arriving this week. I was considering trying it at one CX race to see if I can sell the CX bike (I do a lot more gravel than cross). On the other hand, the rule is n+1, not n-1...
Likes For ericcox:
Old 11-11-21, 12:53 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think I would rather race a CX bike on gravel than race a gravel bike in CX, but as long as you're not vying for a trophy, you'll have a blast on your Revolt.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-11-21, 10:29 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Rolla
I think I would rather race a CX bike on gravel than race a gravel bike in CX, but as long as you're not vying for a trophy, you'll have a blast on your Revolt.
I totally endorse this view. Giant's cyclocross bike (the TCX) can take up to 45mm tires and also makes a great gravel bike. If I were buying a bike from their lineup I'd probably choose the TCX as a dual-purpose bike, rather than the Revolt. The 1x gearing would be the only potential downside for gravel (and road) use. not a dealbreaker for me, but I know it is for some.

On the topic of gravel bikes for CX - Unless someone is regularly battling for podium positions in Cat 3 or above, the nuanced geometry differences between bikes like the Revolt and TCX are not likely to have any impact on the enjoyment and success of recreational CX racing. Obviously the TCX is more purpose built and will be better at some of the finer points like accelerating out of the blocks, snapping off hairpin turns, pedaling on off-cambers, etc, but most recreational CX racers aren't at a level where this stuff really matters.

My main CX race goals are always to not crash, have fun and feel like I gave it my all. I pride myself on being faster on technical sections so if I can learn some new skills or lines that's awesome too. I can definitely accomplish all of this on a gravel bike.

I know very few people who own both a dedicated gravel bike and a dedicated CX bike. These people are either rich bike nerds who own tons of bikes, or they're highly competitive racers in both disciplines. Everyone else I know rides CX on gravel bikes, or rides gravel on their CX bikes.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 11-11-21, 01:56 PM
2bridges1bike

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla

I really would prefer a cx bike in terms of geometry, but I they don’t seem to make them with fender and rack mounts, which seem to be the domain of gravel bikes.
Old 11-11-21, 01:59 PM
2bridges1bike

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I totally endorse this view. Giant's cyclocross bike (the TCX) can take up to 45mm tires and also makes a great gravel bike. If I were buying a bike from their lineup I'd probably choose the TCX as a dual-purpose bike, rather than the Revolt. The 1x gearing would be the only potential downside for gravel (and road) use. not a dealbreaker for me, but I know it is for some.

On the topic of gravel bikes for CX - Unless someone is regularly battling for podium positions in Cat 3 or above, the nuanced geometry differences between bikes like the Revolt and TCX are not likely to have any impact on the enjoyment and success of recreational CX racing. Obviously the TCX is more purpose built and will be better at some of the finer points like accelerating out of the blocks, snapping off hairpin turns, pedaling on off-cambers, etc, but most recreational CX racers aren't at a level where this stuff really matters.

My main CX race goals are always to not crash, have fun and feel like I gave it my all. I pride myself on being faster on technical sections so if I can learn some new skills or lines that's awesome too. I can definitely accomplish all of this on a gravel bike.

I know very few people who own both a dedicated gravel bike and a dedicated CX bike. These people are either rich bike nerds who own tons of bikes, or they're highly competitive racers in both disciplines. Everyone else I know rides CX on gravel bikes, or rides gravel on their CX bikes.
I would love to buy a TCX or CX bike, but the deal killer for me is the lack of fender and rack mounts in such bikes. I haven’t used them but the interwebs does not seem to think that frame mounted fenders are up to the job.
Old 11-11-21, 02:19 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by 2bridges1bike
Yes. FWIW, if you try it and like it you will be racing to win.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-12-21, 07:39 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I’ve been on a Revolt Advanced (carbon) since July. It’s been super for gravel races, for bikepacking/tours and for all surfaces. Likely selling my road bike (Defy carbon) as I’m riding the Revolt everywhere.

Sure. A CX bike makes tight switchbacks easier. But riding a Revolt won’t likely cost a podium spot or even a lap prize. Racing 5-6 CX races yearly amounts to less than 5 total hours for me. In comparison I spent 300+ hours riding gravel last summer. FWIW: Giant has a frame crash replacement warranty if you decide to race.
Likes For veloz:
Old 11-12-21, 10:16 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Hypoxia face!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-12-21, 10:17 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Hypoxia face!
LMAO!!
Old 11-13-21, 03:51 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My local cross races allow pretty much any kind of bike in the not-trying-to-win class. The trying-to-win class requires drop bars and <33mm tires.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-14-21, 12:02 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My local cross races allow pretty much any kind of bike in the not-trying-to-win class. The trying-to-win class requires drop bars and <33mm tires.
I'm surprised by this. My local series is pretty big and the only equipment rules I'm aware of are pretty standard stuff - bikes must have working brakes, no aero bars. I don't think there are any restrictions on tire width, even for the Cat 1/elite racers. Maybe it's a gentleman's agreement in those fields, but everyone seems to run 33mm tires regardless. I've definitely never seen anyone checking, like you sometimes see at CX nationals or UCI events.
Old 11-14-21, 07:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I think they have changed the rules for Sacramento Cyclocross since last I looked. I do not know, but I would bet, it's because the same organizers run evening MTB races in the spring and it's the same customer crowd. Also they are not racing for USAC points, which is a different event. And, well, people are buying a lot of gravel bikes. Here's what it says now:

• Cyclocross bikes are uniquely designed for the sport; a good cyclocross bike can definitely help improve your lap times, and make racing and riding that much more enjoyable.

Having a cyclocross bike to race can be helpful, but it is not required to participate in the Sacramento Cyclocross series! Racing on a mountain bike is fine in most categories. Here’s the rundown:
    For Elite A, Master A, Open Master and Open Singlespeed categories, bike tire width must be 40mm or less and bikes may not have suspension.
    For all categories, flat bars are allowed without bar ends.
    No forward facing bars.
    No spiked or studded tires.
    No fixed gear hubs.
    No power assist (no duh!).
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-15-21, 07:23 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I totally endorse this view. Giant's cyclocross bike (the TCX) can take up to 45mm tires and also makes a great gravel bike. If I were buying a bike from their lineup I'd probably choose the TCX as a dual-purpose bike, rather than the Revolt....
Actually, I put 50mm on the front my CX bike for gravel races (54mm sometimes). 40mm is plenty big for me in the rear in I'm not hammering on singletrack.