Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Handlebar Bag for Trekking bars

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-22, 05:47 PM
jbmorrison

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, anyone have any suggestions for a decent bar bag for trekking bars other than Ortlieb?

JB.
Old 04-27-22, 07:00 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I was going to ask about handlebar bags too. My issue is it can't block the front dynamo light which rides just above the wheel as those usually do. Flat bar on mine so shouldn't be an issue.
Old 04-27-22, 07:51 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I have been pleased with bags from Swift Industries, at Builtbyswift.com, and I found the Zeitgeist bag attached fairly easily to my trekking bars. You can check out the Path Less Pedaled channel on YouTube. He does bike bag reviews, among other things gravel and touring related. Some bags are more quick release-able than others, if that is important.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 04-28-22, 08:52 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I use a Topeak Bar bag that i fitted with https://www.arkel-od.com/spare-hb-clamps/.
Been working for me for some time.
Old 04-28-22, 11:10 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Why not Ortlieb? They are good bags, well made, ultra durable... Swift Industries does make excellent bags I have their Randonneur bag (which was called something else at the time) and it has been excellent over these years. Where it sits currently it is a little tall and the mounting could be improved but that is not a fault of the bag in any sense it is my usage of the bag on a rack that was not designed for it so it sits high on my actual randonneur rack it is perfect.
Old 04-29-22, 07:24 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
My wife's bike has trekking bars and her Ortlieb works fine with the standard mount.
I realize you're asking for others, but just wanted to confirm that it fits and works well with the bars, if ever you consider Ortlieb.
Old 04-30-22, 05:19 PM
jbmorrison

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
My wife's bike has trekking bars and her Ortlieb works fine with the standard mount.
I realize you're asking for others, but just wanted to confirm that it fits and works well with the bars, if ever you consider Ortlieb.
Thanks djb, Ortlieb is just more of a bag than I need...All I need is a smallish bar bag to throw things in ..My tent and tarp ride on a Sunlite rack on the front..
JB
Old 04-30-22, 05:24 PM
djb

Originally Posted by jbmorrison
Thanks djb, Ortlieb is just more of a bag than I need...All I need is a smallish bar bag to throw things in ..My tent and tarp ride on a Sunlite rack on the front..
JB
sure, I just remember not being sure if it would fit in the bars properly, or if we would need one of those mount extender thingees that moves a hbag more forward.
Old 05-01-22, 08:37 PM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have used this waterproof Banjo Brothers handlebar bag for 11 years, I believe, and it has held up well, except the straps that hold it to the handlebars broke eventually. I just replaced those with some heavy zip ties, which works great.. This particular model isn't available anymore, afaik, but they are still selling other models.

Last edited by simplygib; 05-01-22 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-02-22, 05:04 AM
djb

Have you looked at the various bikepacking type strap attachment bags? There are lots of them, although most of the good ones certainly aren't cheap.
When I think of it though, you tend not to see lots of these bags on trekking bars, not a lot of people use them--although in Europe they are quite common, so perhaps searches from there might turn up more options, or at least images of how people add simple bags to these bars.
Old 05-02-22, 08:22 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
One option is to drop the bag down onto a rack. I have used the little sunlite racks that attach to the canti bosses for that. They show up cheap under that and other brands. I have also mounted them using p-clamps on bikes with no canti bosses. I have used the shoulder strapped wrapped around the stem as the only attachment at times and it was easy to grab the bag and take it with me. The bag carries lower with the rack and is still easily accessible.

I did this with drop bars and with flat bars, but it would work fine with your bars too. It works with various bags. I used it with the large bag from Nashbar. I think it might have been called the Elite Pro or something like that. Mine is decades old so they may not sell that model any more.
Old 05-03-22, 05:49 PM
jbmorrison

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
One option is to drop the bag down onto a rack. I have used the little sunlite racks that attach to the canti bosses for that. They show up cheap under that and other brands. I have also mounted them using p-clamps on bikes with no canti bosses. I have used the shoulder strapped wrapped around the stem as the only attachment at times and it was easy to grab the bag and take it with me. The bag carries lower with the rack and is still easily accessible.

I did this with drop bars and with flat bars, but it would work fine with your bars too. It works with various bags. I used it with the large bag from Nashbar. I think it might have been called the Elite Pro or something like that. Mine is decades old so they may not sell that model any more.
Thanks staehpj1,I have tried the same thing, I have a sunlite rack on the front and bag worked great(cheap BV bag from Amazon) I now use the sunlite rack for my tent and tarp to add a little weight to the front..I am new to cycle travel, but have years of experience in backpack travel and trying to go light weight (not ultralight lol)..only been on a few overnight trips and love it!..I also have a Topeak frontloader bikepacking style bag. I would really like a small bag just to keep items that I take with me in the tent. Thanks for advice!.. JB..
Old 05-04-22, 06:19 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Thanks staehpj1,I have tried the same thing, I have a sunlite rack on the front and bag worked great(cheap BV bag from Amazon) I now use the sunlite rack for my tent and tarp to add a little weight to the front..I am new to cycle travel, but have years of experience in backpack travel and trying to go light weight (not ultralight lol)..only been on a few overnight trips and love it!..I also have a Topeak frontloader bikepacking style bag. I would really like a small bag just to keep items that I take with me in the tent. Thanks for advice!.. JB..
Another option I have used on a different trip was to use a bar roll and hang a little topeak bag over the front of the bar roll by it's shoulder strap. I used it as a camera bag and personal stuff bag with a small camera. It worked pretty well.

That said... Most folks here seem to hate them, but I found that I like a little backpack for stuff I want to keep with me as long as it is kept light. I usually keep it to 2-3 pounds, but a little more is not too bad. At times where I need to carry extra stuff from the store to camp for a group or for one day where water is unavailable I might load it up heavy. Depending on how I plan to use it I take either the REI Flash 18 (9.5 ounces) or the little Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Travel Day Pack (2.5 ounces). The Sea to Summit packs down to keychain size so taking it along is pretty easy if not using it all the time.

REI also has the Flash 22 which has a couple outside pockets and weighs a few more ounces. I might take that if I were going to carry a bit more. The side pockets could hold extra water bottles in dry places and the top pocket a rain jacket or a warm layer.

I tend to want to have something for day hikes as well so at least the Sea to Summit is likely to go along even if I don't plan to wear it while riding.

Last edited by staehpj1; 05-04-22 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-08-22, 05:48 AM
djb

JB, what options have you found? I'd be curious to see what you did, what price, volume, waterproof or not etc as well as attachment systems.
Old 05-08-22, 11:25 AM
jbmorrison

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi djb, Thanks for asking.. I think I am going with the Topeak compact/fanny bag,seems to be about the right size for my needs. I have seen some for about $50USD, not waterproof, but have a rain cover. I always use Ziplocks for things that need to stay dry anyway Has Fixer quick release bar mount. I am still looking, but I think that is what I will go with. Any experience with that bag??
JB.
Old 05-08-22, 08:01 PM
djb

No, no experience with that bag, but I do have two topeak bags and they are well made. The gastank one i have also has a rain cover, but haven't ridden in rain yet, but I'm sure it works.
Show photos if you buy it.
Old 05-10-22, 07:02 PM
dvdwmth

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Hi all, anyone have any suggestions for a decent bar bag for trekking bars other than Ortlieb?

JB.
I have a world tour bag from Mountain Equipment Coop in Canada. NLA sadly but the clamp mechanism is the same as the Topeak bags and it fits trekking bars. It sits up high which can have some issues, such as blocking bar mount lights, and it messing with handling of bikes with twitchy steering. No issue on my touring bike or mountain bikes.

i suspect any bag using that mount system will be similar unless it's too wide for trekking bars.

otherwise, randoneur bags that sit below the bars on the front rack. Trouble is they are usually very expensive, often over $300. I did find an American company making one for just over $100 but it took some searching.
Old 05-11-22, 06:51 PM
jbmorrison

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks dvd, I have looked at those MEC bags, they are nice ,but as you stated (no longer available ). Still looking at the Topeak Compact,but have not decided yet..

JB.