Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

R55c brake shoes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-22, 05:07 AM
woodman 39

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
R55c brake shoes

Ordered some shimano brake shoes and when I got them I noticed they said "ceramic rim only". Never noticed this in the info when I ordered them, my questiom is, does anyone know if these will work on aluminum rims? If the braking performance will be poor or they produce excessive wear on the rim I don't want to use them.
Old 05-28-22, 09:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
I wouldn't use them on aluminum rims. The manufacturer doesn't want you to use them on aluminum rims.

Go back and check out where you bought them and see what their description said. Shimano makes several models of the R55c and you have to pay attention to the letters/numbers after the R55c or better yet, the exact part number.

WP-Y8FA98150 is for rims made for ceramic

WP-Y8FA98132 is for aluminum rims.

Probably other part numbers in the realm of R55c too.

Call or email your vendor and see what you can do to exchange them.

Welcome to BF
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-28-22, 12:56 PM
woodman 39

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's probably the best solution.
thanks
Old 05-28-22, 02:28 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by woodman 39
Ordered some shimano brake shoes and when I got them I noticed they said "ceramic rim only". Never noticed this in the info when I ordered them, my questiom is, does anyone know if these will work on aluminum rims? If the braking performance will be poor or they produce excessive wear on the rim I don't want to use them.
Really?
Old 05-28-22, 08:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Use SwissStop black or BXP pads some of the best pads out there. The SRAM pads at least for a while were SwissStop black. Their King and Price compounds are for carbon rims so avoid those. You could also do quite well with Kool Stop Dura Type pads just stick with Black, Salmon or Dual Compound. Green is for Ceramics and their carbon pads are well for carbon. They also make the thicker Dura2 pads and those add a Triple Compound and pink color to the mix as well as some other pads for carbon.

I would not use Ceramic pads on non-ceramic rims as the packing says "Ceramic Rim Only".

I typically will only use Shimano pads in an emergency and keep some as backups usually for friends who need pads as I typically use SwissStop or KoolStop on all my rim brake stuff. Not that they are bad pads they are fine but the Stops are just better. The Shimano is a B and the Stops are A to A+