Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Raleigh International 1974, good deal?

Old 03-07-13, 08:54 PM
LDB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh International 1974, good deal?

Is this a good deal? It's a beautiful bike but I don't know how to appraise them.

https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/3590784071.html
Old 03-07-13, 08:58 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
no.
Old 03-07-13, 09:13 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
I wouldn't call it "a good deal" but if you like it and want to make it yours (and have the bones to throw at it) who should care but you?
It kinda reminds me of my Schwinn World Voyageur, so I guess Im partial. (it has chrome fenders with VO fender hardware on her now)

You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 03-07-13 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-07-13, 09:23 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 279 Posts
If you are looking for a ready to ride International, it's local, and it's your size that's not a bad deal. Myself, I prefer to find 'em cheaper and in need of servicing.
Old 03-07-13, 09:23 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
It's not a great deal, but it's not terrible, and it looks pretty good. If you like it, go for it...the extra $100 you might be paying is negligible if it makes you happy and it fits.
Old 03-07-13, 09:35 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
If you are looking for a ready to ride International, it's local, and it's your size that's not a bad deal. Myself, I prefer to find 'em cheaper and in need of servicing.
I'll second that. It's not a terrible deal (nor is it a bargain either), but I've seen significantly higher asking prices on Internationals. I agree that if it were me I'd like to bring the cost down. Then again, I'm a cheapskate.
Old 03-07-13, 09:36 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
A premium price for sure. But they're not making them anymore, so as others have said, it's worth it if you're going to enjoy riding it. It is one of those bikes with a very devoted fan base.
Old 03-07-13, 09:37 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Collectors value original spec. That's one of the things that make bikes worth more or less. Here's the original spec from the catalog, per Sheldon. The big differences that I can see are the handlebars, saddle, and the gold brakes. The owner is charging collector prices...

If you are looking for a rider, Internationals are excellent bikes, and there's value in pumping up the tires and going off, rather than fussing on eBay looking for the right parts.
Old 03-07-13, 09:39 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh, and that Flic Stand wasn't original Raleigh spec, either. It's weird that it is on there, as it can't be used with the fenders.
Old 03-07-13, 09:43 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by luker
Oh, and that Flic Stand wasn't original Raleigh spec, either. It's weird that it is on there, as it can't be used with the fenders.
True, but weirder still, I've seen both those and the gold Mafacs on several Internationals. Anyone know why that would be?
Old 03-07-13, 10:07 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by AZORCH
True, but weirder still, I've seen both those and the gold Mafacs on several Internationals. Anyone know why that would be?
From a bike shop's point of view way back, an International owner or purchaser was often one of the few clients who wanted to "upgrade" his bike and had the cash to do it. an owner who really needed new brake blocks but wanted "better brakes" and was unwilling to have the rear brake bridge with nothing to do would buy Mafacs, they were squealers but probably an incrementally better brake.

Same goes for the flick stand, and don't forget the rear view mirror mounted off the glasses or helmet...

As to the deal in Boston, not a "deal" but not bad either, I would go see the bike and ask for them to throw in the take off parts, I bet the owner still has them. International's in the mid range sizes, 21.5 and 22.5 have a pretty strong market, and they are "comfy" riders.
I wonder where the original Brooks Pro went?

I just noticed, original poster in Texas, seller in Boston, it looks like the search has been far and wide.

Last edited by repechage; 03-07-13 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-07-13, 10:26 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Nice bike. High end for the price but still a nice bike. It is Craigslist, land of bargaining. I imagine you could get it down to 700. Maybe I am being optimistic but a wad of cash and a buyer in the driveway sells more bikes than lame emailed offers.
Old 03-07-13, 10:30 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

A Raleigh International isn't so rare where collectors are lining up and checking to make sure the date codes match. What you have here is a sensibly modified bike in nice condition...it's a little over what I'd consider fair, but they don't grow on trees either.
Old 03-07-13, 10:59 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Moved from C & V to C & V Appraisals.
Old 03-07-13, 11:11 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Price is high, but if you want an International I would still go for it. It's not like there will be a dozen to choose from on your local C/L. Condition looks really good as well.
Old 03-08-13, 07:56 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
As to the deal in Boston, not a "deal" but not bad either, I would go see the bike and ask for them to throw in the take off parts, I bet the owner still has them. International's in the mid range sizes, 21.5 and 22.5 have a pretty strong market, and they are "comfy" riders.

I just noticed, original poster in Texas, seller in Boston, it looks like the search has been far and wide.
Someone needs new reading glasses!
Old 03-08-13, 08:36 AM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
+1 for most of what has been already stated. I think that this specific International is a little overpriced. If everything was completely original, maybe you take it for $895, but missing the original parts I think the price is too high. However, this is not a complete rip off either. I don't know if this is a good point of reference but I recently purchased a 1977 Raleigh Competition that did have all of the original parts including the Brooks Pro saddle for $350. It was in pristine condition with barely a scratch. Only the gum brake hoods needed to be replaced. Granted, it is one step lower than the International and not as sought after and I believe there are more Competitions out there than Internationals.

If you can be patient, I say just wait and watch. I could be wrong but I think at that price that bike isn't going anywhere fast. The seller indicates they are firm on the price but that could change if the bike goes unsold for a couple of weeks. Otherwise, pull the trigger, never look back and ride that thing like you stole it.
Old 03-08-13, 08:39 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by wrk101
In any financial transaction, the person with the most knowledge wins. You can buy a lot of bike in the vintage bike for a lot less. The choice is yours.

And consider while there are just as nice or nicer vintage bikes out there for less, how much time do you want to spend looking? Myself, I am very patient, so if it takes me six months to find the right bike at the right price, I don't mind. My last personal bike purchase, I was looking for that specific model for a couple of years.

And I am probably no help on this one, as $895 is over my self imposed bike price limit.
+1...it comes down to leverage...does the buyer want to have it more, or is the seller more desperate to get rid of it? I'm generally pretty cheap and hold out until I can have what I want at the price I want it for...but, if I really want something rare, and it's available, I've been known to pay a premium. I paid more than I probably should have for my Cinelli...but when was the next time I'd see a Cinelli with eyelets in my size? I don't know your market, but I know that in my area it would be hard to sell at that price. In terms of eBay value, it's not that far off, but it's also not on eBay.

If it were me...I'd offer $600 and wait to see what happened. I don't think he'd have a long list of buyers at $600. Asking prices are different from seller prices...when I sell something I usually list it higher than I expect to get to give more room in the negotiation.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 03-08-13 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-08-13, 10:00 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I admire originality, but lets face it, the Gold Mafac's are worth far more than the Weinmann Centerpulls that would have been original. If the Mafac's bother you, it would not be hard to get some Weinmann's on there - every bike from this era has them and we all have them in our parts bin. You could easily sell the Mafac's for at least $100 on ebay. The new Brooks is worth $80, the VO fenders are worth $40, and the rack is worth $20. So $895 - $240 = $655. Not a bad price for a clean International.
Old 03-08-13, 10:06 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by mparker326
I admire originality, but lets face it, the Gold Mafac's are worth far more than the Weinmann Centerpulls that would have been original. If the Mafac's bother you, it would not be hard to get some Weinmann's on there - every bike from this era has them and we all have them in our parts bin. You could easily sell the Mafac's for at least $100 on ebay. The new Brooks is worth $80, the VO fenders are worth $40, and the rack is worth $20. So $895 - $240 = $655. Not a bad price for a clean International.
+1 - no one cares about the originality of Weinmann centerpulls.

I think I got lucky, but I sold my International with a Duopar ti rear derailleur, Honjos, new'ish Brooks, VO front rack and an extra pair of wheels for $1400. I don't think the asking price is THAT out of line...and it is an asking price.
Old 03-08-13, 03:51 PM
LDB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm meeting this evening and provided it looks as good in person I'm getting it for $850. I remember the bikes from when I was a teenager. They were beyond my range at the time but I always thought they were a beautiful bike so I'm going to treat myself. I'm no expert so I don't know what's original and correct and what isn't. The stem looked a little off to me but I wasn't certain. I really like the lugs on the fork and the curve of the fork. New bikes just don't look as good. So, other than Sheldon Brown's site where do I find info on these bikes to know what's what on them? Thanks for all the input so far and please continue.