Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Keeping Feet Dry

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Keeping Feet Dry

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-23, 10:32 AM
gpshay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keeping Feet Dry

On my last tour I used clip-less pedals I found them problematic on starting up on grades .. I decided on BlackSpire flat platform pedals with pins .. the only shoe I have found that holds up to the pins are Vans Old School skating tennis shoes .. NOW here is my question .. How do I keep them dry in a down pour .. My Gore shoe covers come in contact with a few of the pins and will destroy the fabric .. I have thought of removing the pins on one side of the pedal BUT I think the pedal would have no grip and might create a "slipping off" problem .. I first thought of applying some rubberized coating i.e. flex seal .. not sure if that would just peel off .. then I contemplated some of that "peel and stick" traction type tape .. the kind that is used on outdoor steps .. however there is not a lot of area on the pedal to adhere the tape too ... I worry about it staying put also ... I have even done a little research on those "running gaiters" but they seemed to be glued to the shoe .. so that doesn't seem very practical .. putting on wet cold shoes in the tent, in the morning is really something I would like to remedy .... can you think of a solution ?
Old 01-03-23, 11:02 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by gpshay
NOW here is my question .. How do I keep them dry in a down pour ..
You don't. I have been touring wearing Crocs. Your fee will get wet, but they dry in a very short time after the rain. Crocks also provide a great surface for the pins to grip. Others wear sandals like Keens. They will also dry fairly quickly. Vans, though I like them and have commuted using them, will be wet for over a day.
Likes For phughes:
Old 01-03-23, 11:37 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Being not fond of socks in summer, I tour with bike (clip-less) sandals. I carry thin neoprene socks for cold/wet weather, but rarely use.
Old 01-03-23, 12:17 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
The pins would be on the fabric on the sole side of the shoe, that should not matter if the sole gets wet. That said, I have no clue what a skating tennis shoe is so maybe that has a permeable sole?

I use clipless shoes with SPD cleats when I tour, but I use pedals that are platform on one side, cleat hardware on the other side of the pedal. If you wanted to try clipless again, that would be an option.

I think my covers are Gore, am happy with them. You can see the platform side of the Shimano M324 pedal, but there are plenty of other pedals that are platform on one side, cleat on the other.

Old 01-03-23, 12:29 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
As far as keeping feet dry...
There is a difference between a cold downpour in damp conditions and downpours in other conditions. For situations where it isn't cold, I don't worry too much about it and just let my feet get wet and then dry again. When it is cold, I've used shoe covers though have difficulty finding them in my shoe size so have also improvised with plastic bags inside the shoe.

As far as slipping from the pedals including wet:
My bikes still have a few different attachment mechanisms. My Trek 520 still has toe clips so that also addresses the slipping issue. My Trek 4500 has two sided pedals - platform on one side and clipless on the other. Most of the time, when commuting or around town, I use the platform side. They can be more slippery when wet but it hasn't been a big issue.
Likes For mev:
Old 01-04-23, 08:00 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Ditto on the plastic bags inside the shoe, also known as "Bagtex." Bread bags work well, cost nothing, weigh nothing. Use a shoe with a nylon mesh upper and it'll dry quickly, and won't feel so damn cold in the morning.
Old 01-04-23, 09:49 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I don't try to keep them dry. I found that after years of riding, trail running, and other outdoor stuff it was best, for me at least, to just wear footwear that drained well and didn't soak up much moisture. Pair them with socks that did the same and I have been happy. For me that means shoes with enough mesh and made of something that leaves my feet pretty dry after a socks change. My sidi shoes and cheap poly socks work pretty well for me.
Old 01-04-23, 11:07 AM
Yan 

Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
Plastic bag inside the shoe, outside your sock.

I used to use booties but they where a pain in the ass and inevitably fall apart.
Likes For Yan:
Old 01-07-23, 03:42 PM
dllewis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about half toe clips? MKS makes some metal ones. Zefal makes plastic ones. They essentially just keep your feet on the pedal and you don't need the pins. They should accomodate shoe covers.
Old 01-07-23, 07:46 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Most of the water that gets your feet wet comes from the front tire. A full coverage fender does better than any shoe cover keeping your feet dry, except in downpours. Shoe covers will stop some of that but I've found that water will eventually find its way in. Like others have said, get shoes and socks that dry quickly and always try to have a pair of dry socks to slip into at the end of the day.

I like lightweight running shoes, Altras for me, and large flat pedals with pins (Oneup composites are grippy and cheap).
Old 01-07-23, 08:09 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
Two tricks. In cooler to cold weather, double bags on your feet. First goes against your skin. Your usual socks, then a second bag, then I pull the thinnest stretchy sock I can find over that. Socks stay dry and insulating. You will want to wash your now soaking feet at the end of the day and rinse the insides of that pair of bags.

And cycling gaitors. I make them from windblock, slightly stretchy outdoor fabric. I make them as a wrap around my ankle. Top half is ankle circumference plus the width of velcro take. Bottom half is slightly bell shaped and about an inch bigger than the ankle section. Similar velcro. Tights or legwarmers go on over the gaitors.

I made mine for cycling boots. Work really well there. Then I discovered they also made my shoes far warmer in the rain but I wish I'd thought of that before I cut the fabric and I'd tailored them better for shoes. Even with the poor fit, my feet stay a lot drier and much warmer.
Old 01-07-23, 08:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by niknak
Most of the water that gets your feet wet comes from the front tire. A full coverage fender does better than any shoe cover keeping your feet dry, except in downpours. Shoe covers will stop some of that but I've found that water will eventually find its way in. Like others have said, get shoes and socks that dry quickly and always try to have a pair of dry socks to slip into at the end of the day.

I like lightweight running shoes, Altras for me, and large flat pedals with pins (Oneup composites are grippy and cheap).
+1 to full front fenders with good, deep flaps. The matching full rear fender does wonders for keeping your bike cleaner.

If you have to wear wet socks, let the ones next to your skin be silk. (REI and not expensive.) I find there is virtually never a time when riding with silk socks is worse than without and sometimes it is far better. (Wet, hot, cold, blister conditions.)
Old 01-08-23, 12:18 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Ditto on the plastic bags inside the shoe, also known as "Bagtex." Bread bags work well, cost nothing, weigh nothing. Use a shoe with a nylon mesh upper and it'll dry quickly, and won't feel so damn cold in the morning.
My partly mesh bicycling shoes take forever to dry if soaked and that's with the shoes being indoors to dry. Therefore i try to avoid getting the shoes wet in the first place. Some Naugahyde, basic sewing skill and time will allow a person to make their own custom waterproof over-booties. It's no harder than making a moccasin-type slipper from leather. In fact you can make the over-bootie from leather then waterproof it.

Cheers
Old 01-11-23, 03:04 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by gpshay
On my last tour I used clip-less pedals I found them problematic on starting up on grades .. I decided on BlackSpire flat platform pedals with pins .. the only shoe I have found that holds up to the pins are Vans Old School skating tennis shoes .. NOW here is my question .. How do I keep them dry in a down pour
I use studded flat pedals with FiveTen Freerider shoes similar to your Vans, I have a few pairs of Sealskinz socks; they're really comfortable, breathable and so far totally waterproof. That one time I was caught in heavy rain wearing shorts, no mudguards and no waterproofs in the panniers; spray ran down my legs and inside the socks. I'm usually better prepared, but wet feet weren't uncomfortable, the socks acted like a wet-suit. I also use Crank Brothers clipless pedals with MTB shoes and overshoes, starting uphill isn't that difficult, Admittedly I've not tried it with a seriously loaded touring rig, the last time I went tent touring I was still using toe clips.
Old 01-11-23, 05:07 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
I'm also in the camp that doesn't worry about wet feet in warm weather, but in cold and snow wet feet can be both painful and dangerous. I have a pair of Shower's Pass knit waterproof gloves that have a waterproof middle layer that gives them a bit of a Marigold washing up glove feel when pulled off, but they work very well when riding in the wet and the cold. Shower's Pass makes similar socks and those might be a good choice. Also Seal Skinz are popular.
Old 01-11-23, 05:07 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I never use clips or anything like that (blasphemy, lol), so platform pedals & hiking boots, in about 60°F or colder. I have chronic arthritis, so keeping warm is a necessity, not just a choice. 😉
Old 01-12-23, 12:15 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by grumpus
I use studded flat pedals with FiveTen Freerider shoes similar to your Vans, I have a few pairs of Sealskinz socks; they're really comfortable, breathable and so far totally waterproof. That one time I was caught in heavy rain wearing shorts, no mudguards and no waterproofs in the panniers; spray ran down my legs and inside the socks. I'm usually better prepared, but wet feet weren't uncomfortable, the socks acted like a wet-suit. I also use Crank Brothers clipless pedals with MTB shoes and overshoes, starting uphill isn't that difficult, Admittedly I've not tried it with a seriously loaded touring rig, the last time I went tent touring I was still using toe clips.
I just looked those up, but they do not mention them being waterproof. How long have you actually ridden in the rain at a time. Curious because if they are in fact waterproof, they would be a good option. Or is it simply the Sealskinz? I am familiar with the Sealskinz, but still prefer to not have damp shoes even with the Seaskinz.
Old 01-12-23, 01:50 PM
grumpus

Originally Posted by phughes
I just looked those up,
You didn't have to look them up, I put a link there for you to click on.
but they do not mention them being waterproof.
If you click on this link you'll see the page is titled "100% Waterproof, Windproof & Breathable Socks" and every sock on that page is called "Waterproof" with a variety of warm weather, all weather, cold weather and extreme cold weather options, and low/medium/high styles.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 01-12-23, 02:33 PM
phughes

You didn't have to look them up, I put a link there for you to click on.

If you click on this link you'll see the page is titled "100% Waterproof, Windproof & Breathable Socks" and every sock on that page is called "Waterproof" with a variety of warm weather, all weather, cold weather and extreme cold weather options, and low/medium/high styles.
Sorry, I didn't make my post clear. I looked up the shoes, not the socks. I am very familiar with Sealskins, they are great. I was inquiring about the shoes. When touring I hate soggy shoes, even with Sealskins. Shoes take forever to dry.
Old 01-12-23, 03:55 PM
79pmooney

I just remembered the lesson I learned my first season of racing. If you have to ride when it's pouring and it is too warm for full leggings and gaiters, shoes are going to get wet. Do yourself a big favor and provide a means for that water to leave. Traditional cycling shoes had 1 to 3 holes at the front of the sole between the toes and front of the ball of the foot. I never thought about those holes. Rode my first "real" (open) race in a steady, not light rain. Rain started 10pm the night before and was still going when we finished. By the end of the first hour we were completely soaked. 3 1/2 hours to go.

I never thought about my feet. But after the race we all heard loud and clear the complaints of those whose shoes didn't have those drains. They spent hours squishing water around inside their shoes at race RPM. And not a single one was a happy camper. (I've been known to drill those holes in shoes that did not come with them.)
Old 01-12-23, 06:12 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
In a pinch you can do what this young women did on a very wet start in the morning-- improvise. They were a tough couple. They were riding the Icefield Parkway in Alberta, Canada from Jasper to Banff and back to Jasper during a long weekend. It was cold and the guy rode in shorts. We were camping near each other during a cold wet night.

We met them on their return trip two days later, and I noticed the guy was wearing a new looking pair of long-underwear under his shorts.

My wife in her wet weather gear on that cold rainy day: helmet cover, rain jacket, rain pants and gloves. In a pinch, we will use plastic bags, but usually good wool socks work well for us.

Last edited by Doug64; 01-13-23 at 10:03 AM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 01-13-23, 06:49 AM
grumpus

Sorry, I didn't make my post clear. I looked up the shoes, not the socks.
It was the socks I recommended, because socks don't care about pedal studs.
I am very familiar with Sealskins, they are great. I was inquiring about the shoes. When touring I hate soggy shoes, even with Sealskins. Shoes take forever to dry.
IME when my feet are comfortable in good socks I don't care if my shoes are wet.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 01-13-23, 08:17 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
trapping foot sweat inside a plastic bag isnt clammy and wet?
Old 01-13-23, 11:14 AM
phughes

It was the socks I recommended, because socks don't care about pedal studs.

IME when my feet are comfortable in good socks I don't care if my shoes are wet.
Yeah, I get that. I read your post too quickly while I was busy and distracted. Completely my fault.

The Sealskinz are a fantastic product. On a tour I just don't like soggy shoes. That is a personal thing though. In colder weather it becomes more of an issue, but most of us tour when it is warmer. Waterproof sock like Sealskinz are a very good thing to have no matter what kind of shoes you wear, for biking, hiking, or any other activity that takes you out in the elements.
Old 01-13-23, 11:48 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
I use dog **** bags over my socks. They are the perfect size. Yes, feet will get wet, but stay warm.

Dog **** bags have many other uses as they don’t let smell through.

Put newspaper in your shoes overnight to help them dry.

edit: censor didn’t like that 🤨 Canine hygiene bags then 😉

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.