Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Stock of 26" touring tires non-existent?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Stock of 26" touring tires non-existent?

Old 01-31-23, 05:21 PM
afrowheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You are going to have a bad time if you think telling people on a public forum not to post is going to have an effect.

Seems like "expressing a concern" and not being interested in help is equally "wasting time you don't have". If you really don't want replies, you should "think twice about posting".
I've noticed that you seem to have a particularly, er, different view to me about such matters. Please feel free not to reply to any of my posts 😁
Old 01-31-23, 05:25 PM
afrowheels

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Damaged tires are a nuisance, but obviously the real crime here is offering help to OP without checking his database of acceptable vendors.

My advice is to just remove the tire and ride it on the rim, then you won't be so bothered by people trying to help.
Alternative view: posting the first link you come across to prove OP is wrong without actually checking the details looks like a rather shallow attempt at point scoring. Didn't realise that was the purpose of these forums...but if I get to the point of thinking the majority think otherwise I will definitely stop posting. Certainly a few too many such replies across multiple threads here that have me thinking that may well be the case. In which case I'll be happy to let those currently in their armchairs rather than on the road yank each others' chains all day long 😂 Ain't got time for that myself.
Old 01-31-23, 05:36 PM
afrowheels

Originally Posted by MarcusT
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/
"Colombia

Colombia

Shipping costs 34,99 € Bulky goods1 x Bike x per trekking bike x 1bulk goods: transport-suitcase, bicycles
The indicated bulk-goods' charge is valid for one parcel, which is one transport-suitcase. If you order more than just one transport suitcase, the charge for bulky goods is increased according to the ordered quantity, since we cannot send several transport-suitcases together in one parcel.
xDelivery method not available. Unfortunately, bulk goods and bicycles cannot be dispatched to these countries.

Attention: We offer deliveries by DPD and DHL (only within the EU; outside of the EU only by DHL, who will cooperate with the national postal service for delivery). Depending on the choice of the transport company, this choice can result in higher transport costs than those mentioned in the table above. The above-mentioned table shows the least expensive freight costs with the corresponding transport company, which needs more time to deliver. The other choice delivers faster, but is more expensive - when making your choice during the ordering process, you will see the corresponding freight costs listed before you agree to our terms and conditions. At this point, you can still return and choose the other transport company."
I have not checked their stock of tires.
Thanks for eliminating that.

I found a European vendor who seems to have what you're looking for in stock and claims shipping to Colombia.
https://www.deporvillage.net/
I recommend try to get folding tires, the package will be more likely to arrive undamaged

Also Check out Decathlon. According to the website they have a number of stores in Colombia.
https://www.decathlon.com.co/
I hope to eventually put up a post re what I found in Bogota that would be useful for cycle tourists. I visited 3 Decathlon stores and they have a lot of useful stuff but I did not see touring-grade tyres.

Will try to check out the other site - looks promising at first glance. Agree re folding but those are even harder to get hold of.
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Sorry, I thought that they did ship there.

But, I am not interested in spending a lot of time researching an answer to a question that I will never ask, thus I did not research it in detail.

I was only trying to help, which you clearly did not want.
​​​​​
Help would be great, which is why I followed up every link that was posted. Unfortunately 10-15min*7 links that don't help is...not helpful. Like I said, I appreciate the intention but yeah if you don't have time to check if something actually solves a problem don't post it as a solution!

Originally Posted by tcs
Hmph. Found a place with 26x1.75 Marathon GreenGuard in stock that ships worldwide. Oh! These are not the Supremes the OP requires. Never mind.

BTW, "International shipping times vary widely and are at the mercy of customs agents, international post offices, and carrier services."

Fun fact: Ubertourist Heinz Stücke once waited for tires for three weeks in Africa.
I'm happy with any relatively puncture-proof/puncture-resistant touring tyre 26" and 1.75-2.1.Schwalbe preferred because of quality. So feel free to send or post the details ;P

Yeah, sure. If I have to try and work around 3 weeks I will do my best. But re my original point: I could get 700CCs delivered within a week.

'Currently unavailable'
Old 01-31-23, 05:40 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by afrowheels
Thanks for eliminating that.

I hope to eventually put up a post re what I found in Bogota that would be useful for cycle tourists. I visited 3 Decathlon stores and they have a lot of useful stuff but I did not see touring-grade tyres.

Will try to check out the other site - looks promising at first glance. Agree re folding but those are even harder to get hold of.

Help would be great, which is why I followed up every link that was posted. Unfortunately 10-15min*7 links that don't help is...not helpful. Like I said, I appreciate the intention but yeah if you don't have time to check if something actually solves a problem don't post it as a solution!

I'm happy with any relatively puncture-proof/puncture-resistant touring tyre 26" and 1.75-2.1.Schwalbe preferred because of quality. So feel free to send or post the details ;P

Yeah, sure. If I have to try and work around 3 weeks I will do my best. But re my original point: I could get 700CCs delivered within a week.

'Currently unavailable'
Shows available for me.
Old 01-31-23, 05:45 PM
afrowheels

Originally Posted by veganbikes
The whole point of going 26" is finding tires in other countries. If I am so stuck on a single tire brand I cannot easily get well I probably didn't need that size and could have gone 700c or 650b or something. 26" is fine but generally the biggest reason I hear for people choosing it is for the ability to find a tire in that size in most countries, not necessarily the exact tire I love but a serviceable tire to get me rolling in an emergency. Obviously if you have a 26" bike already from back in the day it might be different but still just grab a tire and when your itinerary gets you to a country you can get your chosen tire in swap back to that tire or see if you have any friends back home that can send you the tire of your dreams.

I think making do is some of the fun of touring. To a point obviously freezing every night or starving yourself is not fun but making substitutions or having to do a funky repair is kinda neat.
I think that's partly a matter of different philosophies. I lost 4 hours to a double puncture that I had to (unsuccessfully) fix in 45C heat on a day when I had planned other important things to do. The 3-4 hours included walking 4km into a grimy town. Wasn't much fun. On my last tour I managed to get through without a single puncture and that was absolutely great. Of course I'll use a local tyre if I have to (checked out the one option available in a small town today) but I have not intention of touring any long distance on those because I know the consequences if they fail in the middle of a long day on bad road in bad conditions. I've done some fairly brutal days already here and adding 3-4 hours to one of those could spell potential trouble that I prefer to avoid. Others do indeed seem to take a different attitude. E.g. met a guy recently with a bike he said he'd taken out of the trash - but then he was also taking buses because he couldn't handle the hill climbs...

Originally Posted by Steve B.
A buddies son touring thru India, was in need of a new 700C tire. He found what he needed on line, ordered to his parents house, they shipped to India. Few days is all. Maybe you could do something similar ?
Yes, good idea that also occurred to me today. Unfortunately most who could receive for me are in a country that is also not the easiest to ship to. But I have some connections in the UK who might be able to help.

Originally Posted by PhilFo
Starbike ships to Colombia and looks to have every 559 Schwalbe available in stock.
I'll take a look.

Originally Posted by axolotl
I'm amazed that you began a tour in South America with tires which already had 5500 km of wear. It never occurred to you to start the tour with new tires?

Folks, it's Colombia, not Columbia.
It occurred to me many times. My departure was rushed (see separate threads re getting the bike partially rebuilt while passing through the States). I asked both bike shops that serviced or partly rebuilt the bike and they both said the tyres were fine. I nevertheless looked for a new pair but could not get hold of any in time. I managed to buy the folding spare en route. But yeah, in hindsight I definitely should have (ignored the notional experts) gone with the conservative option and prioritised getting new ones shipped at the beginning of the trip.

People had been doing well with 'Colombia' on previous threads 😂
Old 01-31-23, 06:31 PM
afrowheels

Thanks, I put in an order with deporvillage - they use DHL so hoping that will be fairly reliable and have sent it to one of my later accommodation bookings. Hoping it will arrive early. Got the beaded not the folding tyres so also hoping they'll arrive undamaged. A lot of hoping but we'll see.

Decided to go with the Marathon Plus Tour version (404) at 1.75 rather than the originals (440) at 2.0 since the claim is that the former have better offroad grip and that's the one area I found the current ones to be struggling a bit.

I found a European vendor who seems to have what you're looking for in stock and claims shipping to Colombia.
https://www.deporvillage.net/
I recommend try to get folding tires, the package will be more likely to arrive undamaged

Also Check out Decathlon. According to the website they have a number of stores in Colombia.
https://www.decathlon.com.co/
Old 01-31-23, 06:41 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
I've noticed that you seem to have a particularly, er, different view to me about such matters.
Complaining about people trying to help you is your problem.

Please feel free not to reply to any of my posts 😁
You could have done that to the posts you whinged about.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-31-23 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-31-23, 06:52 PM
afrowheels

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Complaining about people trying to help you is your problem.
Someone who actually wants to help will reflect on the unhelpfulness of their offered solutions rather than expecting gratitude. As for attitude problems, you seem to have more than enough to deal with yourself to be prescribing; not the first time I've noticed it.

You could have done that to the posts you whinged about.
I started the thread so I reckon you should rather not post on it 😃
Old 01-31-23, 11:15 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
Someone who actually wants to help will reflect on the unhelpfulness of their offered solutions rather than expecting gratitude. As for attitude problems, you seem to have more than enough to deal with yourself to be prescribing; not the first time I've noticed it.

As with any forum, half want to help, half want to judge and the other half are snarky or don't post at all, usually better the latter.
Let the half of us know how it turns out
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 02-01-23, 09:31 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
afrowheels well, posts like this one won't earn many brownie points. Future posts may well be ignored by members of this community who wouldn't want you to waste more time.
Likes For gauvins:
Old 02-01-23, 09:34 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
As with any forum, half want to help, half want to judge and the other half are snarky or don't post at all, usually better the latter.
Let the half of us know how it turns out
He complained about people who wanted to help.
Old 02-01-23, 09:55 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Sometimes we get responses we don't like, the best way to get more of them is to keep arguing. Welcome to the Internet.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-01-23, 10:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Since you ordered tires and all is resolved from this debacle, I have a question- why that tire specifically? Why not literally any other tire that is 26"? The tire you want just got a gash in it, so it isnt beloved for being indestructible. It isnt exactly the fastest rolling tire around either. So then there is what?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-01-23, 01:33 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Since you ordered tires and all is resolved from this debacle, I have a question- why that tire specifically? Why not literally any other tire that is 26"? The tire you want just got a gash in it, so it isnt beloved for being indestructible. It isnt exactly the fastest rolling tire around either. So then there is what?
Seriously? Here is what the OP wrote: "Got a puncture today (my first on these Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires in 7000km

First puncture on a Schwalbe Marathon Plus in 7000km. Puncture, not gash. Also, 7000km.

The OP may have worn out his welcome in regards to getting help here, but I won't question his affinity for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus given the service he has gotten out of them.
Likes For phughes:
Old 02-01-23, 04:19 PM
afrowheels

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Do you know of any high quality touring tyres that are easily available in Colombia in 26" and 1.75 or above? If yes, tell us what they are. If not, I don't see what the purpose of this question is.
Old 02-01-23, 04:28 PM
afrowheels

Originally Posted by gauvins
afrowheels well, posts like this one won't earn many brownie points. Future posts may well be ignored by members of this community who wouldn't want you to waste more time.
What's interesting is that people want to snark and post unhelpful 'counters' to a concern ('You're wrong, this website that doesn't have 26" in stock and doesn't ship to Colombia has them'...) but then want to get sensitive when I point out that these are unhelpful or that maybe they could think for more than 3 seconds before posting. I'm definitely not here to earn brownie points so, er, maybe that's the problem. And if people can't see the problem then it won't do me much harm if they don't do the same thing in future.

There are a few on these forums with serious attitude problems and if you're looking for someone to pander to those then I am not your guy. (And yeah, as ThermionicScott said: this is standard on the internet, but that doesn't mean it needs to be normalised).

I'll shortly be putting up a post on all the useful information I've been able to gather about availability of touring-related stuff in Colombia on my trip so far. And I won't be expecting any gratitude, thanks or brownie points.
Old 02-01-23, 04:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Do you know of any high quality touring tyres that are easily available in Colombia in 26" and 1.75 or above? If yes, tell us what they are. If not, I don't see what the purpose of this question is.
You are missing everything. Get a 26" tire the make in this case doesn't matter a huge ton. Yes in perfect conditions I would love to have my favored tire but it looks like here you cannot get it but are adamant you need that tire for some reason when the point of 26" is that you can find tires in different countries more easily or at least could. You are trying to get rolling again and I am sure there is a shop in Columbia selling a decent quality 26" tire that will fit the basic fit requirements and could easily be replaced when you get to a country DHL or another service will ship to.

I do know that different companies will ship stuff to Columbia so I am unsure what the fight is about either you don't have anyone you can call upon in the U.S. to help you out or you are just refusing that as an option like another 26" tire. I am unsure but if I were you I would have already gotten a tire and been off. Or if I were truly in your mindset of having to have a specific tire so desperately, I would have already reached out to a friend or a bike shop I am friendly with and gotten them to ship some tires to me wherever I was or at least where I was going to be.
Old 02-01-23, 05:29 PM
afrowheels

Interesting that I have all the relevant information but I'm also the one 'missing everything '. There's actually a lot you're missing e.g. I never said I'd stopped cycling, I said I'd switched to a 26x1.6 spare. I also never asked for help but rather expressed concern about what I'd found out about unavailability of 26" gear. I also said that I have clear preferences for not rolling on a crappy local tyre that even the locals don't think much of for shorter distances. But it's really not worth going through it all again so ✌️

Oh but one thing: yeah, not everyone is from the US of A.... Congratulations on having things easier.

You are missing everything. Get a 26" tire the make in this case doesn't matter a huge ton. Yes in perfect conditions I would love to have my favored tire but it looks like here you cannot get it but are adamant you need that tire for some reason when the point of 26" is that you can find tires in different countries more easily or at least could. You are trying to get rolling again and I am sure there is a shop in Columbia selling a decent quality 26" tire that will fit the basic fit requirements and could easily be replaced when you get to a country DHL or another service will ship to.

I do know that different companies will ship stuff to Columbia so I am unsure what the fight is about either you don't have anyone you can call upon in the U.S. to help you out or you are just refusing that as an option like another 26" tire. I am unsure but if I were you I would have already gotten a tire and been off. Or if I were truly in your mindset of having to have a specific tire so desperately, I would have already reached out to a friend or a bike shop I am friendly with and gotten them to ship some tires to me wherever I was or at least where I was going to be.
Old 02-01-23, 06:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Interesting that I have all the relevant information but I'm also the one 'missing everything '. There's actually a lot you're missing e.g. I never said I'd stopped cycling, I said I'd switched to a 26x1.6 spare. I also never asked for help but rather expressed concern about what I'd found out about unavailability of 26" gear. I also said that I have clear preferences for not rolling on a crappy local tyre that even the locals don't think much of for shorter distances. But it's really not worth going through it all again so ✌️

Oh but one thing: yeah, not everyone is from the US of A.... Congratulations on having things easier.
But the gear is not unavailable you just aren't willing to get it shipped to you or find the right shop. You have been complaining all thread when people help, instead of just being thankful for help. Yes you might get info that may not be perfect for the only answer you want to hear but you should be grateful people are willing to help.

Curious where you are from because I am pretty sure it is not Columbia and even if so Columbia has had a whole bunch of excellent cyclists come from there so there are going to be some good shops. I am sure Scarab Cycles could help out they make some amazing custom bikes in Antioquia though I have heard of some other shops around the country I just cannot find great info from the U.S. (so much easier not being able to find what I am looking for...LOL) Though petty fighting about what countries is kind of silly, I don't get into all of that.
Old 02-01-23, 06:42 PM
afrowheels

I've been cycling here 2 months and here you are talking out your ass with 'I'm pretty sure that...' 🤣 Listen to yourself man.

And I never said I was from Colombia (or even Columbia or that I was Christopher Columbus &#128514.

Curious where you are from because I am pretty sure it is not Columbia and even if so Columbia has had a whole bunch of excellent cyclists come from there so there are going to be some good shops. I am sure Scarab Cycles could help out they make some amazing custom bikes in Antioquia though I have heard of some other shops around the country I just cannot find great info from the U.S. (so much easier not being able to find what I am looking for...LOL) Though petty fighting about what countries is kind of silly, I don't get into all of that.
Old 02-01-23, 07:02 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 181 Posts
On my touring bike which is a 26" wheeled bike, the ubiquity of the tire size means that if I had a sidewall tear or whatever that made one of my prized Continental Contact Plus Travel tires non-operational, I would have stopped in whatever bike shop I could, bought a $10 Kenda, stuck a boot in it for extra flat protection then went on riding. That's the point of using near-universal sized gear that can get me out of BFE.
I know that I wouldn't have argued with a bunch of folks on the internet for two days; folks who bothered to even listen, and then offer good faith help. Instead, I would have been riding because literally any serviceable cheap 559 tire would get me down the road.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 02-01-23, 07:45 PM
afrowheels

Better than arguing about something that's irrelevant because you haven't read the original post or even the subsequent ones properly.

Originally Posted by PhilFo
On my touring bike which is a 26" wheeled bike, the ubiquity of the tire size means that if I had a sidewall tear or whatever that made one of my prized Continental Contact Plus Travel tires non-operational, I would have stopped in whatever bike shop I could, bought a $10 Kenda, stuck a boot in it for extra flat protection then went on riding. That's the point of using near-universal sized gear that can get me out of BFE.
I know that I wouldn't have argued with a bunch of folks on the internet for two days; folks who bothered to even listen, and then offer good faith help. Instead, I would have been riding because literally any serviceable cheap 559 tire would get me down the road.
Old 02-01-23, 08:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I've been cycling here 2 months and here you are talking out your ass with 'I'm pretty sure that...' 🤣 Listen to yourself man.

And I never said I was from Colombia (or even Columbia or that I was Christopher Columbus &#128514.
Ok Mr. I've been there for two months but haven't found a tire! I guess you are either avoiding all cities and towns or you are just bad at finding stuff? I cannot believe in that country you couldn't get a semi-decent tire somewhere if not something close to the Schwalbe tire you are lusting for. I mean I can understand pandemic related shortages we are still dealing with that globally but to say your only option is a tire nobody likes just doesn't sound plausible in a cycling country.

I never said you were from Columbia, I said I was pretty sure you weren't from Columbia but you acted all high and mighty about US of A as if you were from some country that cannot easily get cycling parts which would be odd on a Surly which is harder to get in countries that don't have QBP.

Also never said you were Christopher Columbus but you are a bit clueless like he was "huh why are there people on the land I just freshly discovered that had already been found previously by other explorers, welp off with their heads"

It is funny how combative you are when people are trying to help you. I mean this isn't an intervention here we are just trying to help you get a tire either the one you really have desired or saying the whole idea of touring on 26" is so you have options good or not so good to keep you rolling in most countries. What the heck do you want people to say? You don't want them to help you but you posted in a forum for discussion so what? If you had just put it into a blog fine but you put it here to discuss and the folks here are generally pretty helpful and sometimes a little snarky but plenty of good help as well especially for the internet.
Old 02-01-23, 08:56 PM
afrowheels

🤣

Definitely stopping with replies at this point - the fictional narrative is getting too complicated for me.

Ok Mr. I've been there for two months but haven't found a tire!
Old 02-01-23, 09:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

🤣

Definitely stopping with replies at this point - the fictional narrative is getting too complicated for me.
What fictional narrative? Did you not just say you have been there for 2 months and did you also complain you couldn't find a tire? Was I reading a different forum with someone who also shared your same handle and experience touring Colombia (sorry I did misspell it previously I got your "joke" now my apologies to the people of Colombia)?

I mean they are a cycling rich country heck I think Bogota has over 350 miles of bike paths alone and have put out some quite excellent world tour riders and olympic cyclists and Google a popular search engine lists probably at least 200+different bike shops in Colombia (some of the results are not in Colombia or might not be bicycle shops but most looked like they were). I am just baffled beyond baffled that nobody in the country had a tire that was at least semi decent. Looking through some of those shops either via google images or on their websites I found some quality goods and have no doubt I could find a semi decent or really decent 26" tire.

If my Spanish was decent enough to hold a good solid conversation online I bet I could email a couple shops and get tires but I don't really care to do it. Anyway I could just get a tire and ship it if I really cared but you seem so dead set against help I wouldn't impose.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.