Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Campy Shamal Ultra wheels?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-26-23, 08:43 AM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts

Hi, all. I'm considering these for a new build . . . what has your experience been? Many thanks!
Old 05-26-23, 09:28 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
They are not as pretty as the original Shamals but I know people like them and with Campy wheels I believe they are all still handmade which is nice. Maybe more specifics might help if there is certain things you are looking for.
Old 05-26-23, 09:48 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
I have been riding the 2way fit version of these wheels for about 10 years. They came to me with tubeless valves already installed and I have been riding them tubeless since day 1. Great wheels, the only trouble I have ever had was having to replace the rear rim after hitting a huge pothole at high speed. The rim was dented, but the tire didn't flat. The impact was so hard that my water bottle was ejected, but I didn't crash.
Old 05-26-23, 10:34 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I've been riding Campy Eurus and Zonda wheels for 10 years. Great performing and reliable wheels, and the Zonda's are a great value. Is it worth the hundreds of extra $ to get the Shamals? For me, no.

In terms of peace of mind, I'd rather have steel spokes, and the ceramic bearings have value I suppose if you never maintain your hubs. But the 100 grams of lower weight is about the only benefit of the Shamals.
Old 05-26-23, 09:54 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I put the 2way fit version of these wheels on my bike something like 12 years ago, maybe longer, and was an early adopter of tubeless back when Hutchinson was the ONLY tyre manufacturer out there. Oh how times have changed.

Anyway. These wheels were bomber! I smoked some major potholes and they remained true. Never had any issues with them and the only reason I moved away from the 2way fit wheels is b/c I bought a new bike and I wanted deep dish carbon wheels. Where it not for that, I'd still be rocking these wheels.
Old 05-27-23, 02:27 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Has Campy updated these, specifically in terms of internal width, or are they still 17mm? I always thought C17 was too little, too late when it came out in ‘16, and it’s far too little today. They don’t look aero at all, either, are quite shallow, and don’t support SRAM XDR freehub. I otherwise like the design and features, but they never made the cut for me.
Old 05-27-23, 07:16 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Campy makes great wheels, but the rims are still narrow, but that's what you would expect with the tire size limitations imposed by most rim brake frames. I'd be inclined to spend less on Zondas for a rim brake build.

I moved on to disc frames, wider rims and wider tubeless tires at lower pressure about 2-1/2 years ago. There's a big improvement in ride when you do that.
Old 05-30-23, 11:17 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
I run Vittoria 28's on my set, and it works great. The rims are "narrow" by today's standards. Mine are still 100% true, in fact, they have the least runout (in any direction) than any other wheelset that I have (15+).
Old 05-30-23, 01:20 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Campy makes great wheels, but the rims are still narrow, but that's what you would expect with the tire size limitations imposed by most rim brake frames. I'd be inclined to spend less on Zondas for a rim brake build.

I moved on to disc frames, wider rims and wider tubeless tires at lower pressure about 2-1/2 years ago. There's a big improvement in ride when you do that.
Yeah, I’m running 25mm rubber on 21mm internal/+27mm external width rims under Campagnolo Chorus rim brakes, and while the brakes clear fine, I’m sure the Dedacciai frame clearance is maxed out; I don’t think 28s would clear mounted on those rims.

I am happy with the 25s, however, and not particularly fussed about needing wider tires, at least not to the point of replacing the bike to the tune of several thousands of dollars in order to get them. My point being, even if tire clearance is frame limited to 25mm, having the extra volume in the rim width goes a long way in terms of handling and comfort, making it worthwhile to look beyond 17mm IW Campagnolo wheelsets,
Old 08-29-23, 07:24 AM
58Bianchi

Bikes: 1998 Bianchi Eros - 2003 Bianchi Pista - 2003 Bianchi Ibex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My experience with the front wheel only - The new Ultra, while not as pretty or as aero looking as my old 2000 era Shamal, it somehow feels faster. Maybe because it is a lot lighter. When I first got it (great deal on EBAY from Chicken over in the UK), I was a bit disappointed. But the Ultra is more stiff and confidence inspiring for this Clydesdale. Even after rebuilding the old Shamal (the hub split open a couple months ago)... My average speeds are about the same but it just "feels" faster. I run Vittoria 25s on both.

Reviews around the web are almost always VERY positive.
Old 08-29-23, 10:57 AM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Been riding Shamal wheels for about 3 years. They work and look great, no complains.