Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I flipped my Stem, and liked it

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 07:11 AM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts

Recently I got a bug up my arse to get a proper "road bike". Currently, I have a comfortable but heavy drop bar bike (Specialized Tricross) and a light weight flat bar bike (Trek FX S 4). Honestly, the "comfy" drop bar bike is not that comfy at all. With that in mind, I wanted to simulate exactly how bad a "real" roadbike would be so i flipped the stem so that it was pointing down instead of up and i noticed right away that the bike looked better. SO, I took it for a ride and you know what? I thought that it was MORE comfortable than it had been with the bars sticking up in the air. I'm not young. I'm definitely not fit. This was not at all the result that I expected.

SO, if you ahve ever wanted to try flipping your stem for whatever reason, I suggest that you do it. It took very little time, it's easily reversed and you might actually like or even prefer it.

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix
Likes For mr,grumpy:
Old 05-31-23, 07:30 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
Recently I got a bug up my arse to get a proper "road bike". Currently, I have a comfortable but heavy drop bar bike (Specialized Tricross) and a light weight flat bar bike (Trek FX S 4). Honestly, the "comfy" drop bar bike is not that comfy at all. With that in mind, I wanted to simulate exactly how bad a "real" roadbike would be so i flipped the stem so that it was pointing down instead of up and i noticed right away that the bike looked better. SO, I took it for a ride and you know what? I thought that it was MORE comfortable than it had been with the bars sticking up in the air. I'm not young. I'm definitely not fit. This was not at all the result that I expected.

SO, if you ahve ever wanted to try flipping your stem for whatever reason, I suggest that you do it. It took very little time, it's easily reversed and you might actually like or even prefer it.
Nothing wrong at all with experimenting with one’s bike fit. I would be interested to know though, have you ridden it like that a long distance? (Or long for you). My neck just cannot tolerate an aero position like that for very long. I do much better on aero bars than slamming my handlebars. I do see a great number of riders whose saddles are MUCH higher than their bars so obviously it works for them.
Old 05-31-23, 07:37 AM
mr,grumpy 

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Nothing wrong at all with experimenting with one’s bike fit. I would be interested to know though, have you ridden it like that a long distance? (Or long for you). My neck just cannot tolerate an aero position like that for very long. I do much better on aero bars than slamming my handlebars. I do see a great number of riders whose saddles are MUCH higher than their bars so obviously it works for them.
Yes. Easily in fact. I haven't been riding a lot this year but my first ride out on the Tricross was as long as my longest ride so far this season. I don't think that, even at it's most slammed and flipped, a real road rider would find the Tricrposs's position to be terribly "aero". What surprised me most wasn't that I found the new position comfortable but that I found itt MORE comfortable than the "normal" way.

2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 05-31-23, 07:44 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Same here .... i can ride the long-and-low aero position for 45-minutes or an hour and it feels great .... and then the pain starts, mostly in my neck and trapezius muscles, and then spreading in all directions.

If all my rides were 45 minutes or less (or if I were more fit and flexible) I could set up my race-geometry road bike with a pretty extreme, aggressive stance. However, at the speeds I ride, aero is hardly a concern.

Glad it is working for you, though.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-31-23, 07:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Thanks. Now that song is stuck in my head.
Old 05-31-23, 07:59 AM
mr,grumpy 

Originally Posted by indyfabz

2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 05-31-23, 07:59 AM
mr,grumpy 

That was the plan.

2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 05-31-23, 09:02 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
One sometimes gets paradoxical results in bikefitting. A couple years ago, I bought a new bike, a Canyon, direct from the manufacturer. (It was early in the Pandemic). When I received it, it had the stem set at the highest point, on top of a full stack of spacers. I adjusted the saddle height and setback to match my other bikes, and left all the spacers in place. First ride, my hands kept going numb. Conventional wisdom would say the bars were too low so I was putting too much pressure on them, but it turned out the bar was an inch HIGHER than all my other bikes. I moved 25mm of spacers to above the stem, and that bike is now comfortable for any distance I can manage.

So, discomfort on the bike related to bar height or reach is NOT always about the bars being too low or too far away. Sometimes, it's the opposite.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-31-23, 09:21 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
The real test, IMO, would be to ride the new position for a while, long enough to get used to it. Then, go back to the original set up and ride that to see how it now feels. There are times I have done that, and found that I liked the original set up better. I think it is a mental thing where the change feels good just because it is different.
Old 05-31-23, 10:08 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
What if .... both positions felt okay?
Old 05-31-23, 10:25 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
What if .... both positions felt okay?
I ran into that issue -- turns out I had a 0° stem.
Old 05-31-23, 10:32 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I ran into that issue -- turns out I had a 0° stem.
post of the day

we can close it down and resume tomorrow
Old 05-31-23, 01:54 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Did it taste like cherry chapstick
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 05-31-23, 03:07 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I'm the same with my neck. All that much more frustrating because I do triathlon and I have two TT bikes, which makes them look awfully peculiar with how high bars are and how low my seat is.
Old 05-31-23, 03:21 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I'm a small 5'-6" rider, just turning 70. I still use an 11cm saddle to bar drop.
Old 06-04-23, 09:08 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 122 Posts
I have a Very bad back.
Changed my stem , raised it as far as I could, and eventually flipped it. Really worked for me.

'

'
Likes For roadsnakes:
Old 06-04-23, 09:30 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
One sometimes gets paradoxical results in bikefitting. A couple years ago, I bought a new bike, a Canyon, direct from the manufacturer. (It was early in the Pandemic). When I received it, it had the stem set at the highest point, on top of a full stack of spacers. I adjusted the saddle height and setback to match my other bikes, and left all the spacers in place. First ride, my hands kept going numb. Conventional wisdom would say the bars were too low so I was putting too much pressure on them, but it turned out the bar was an inch HIGHER than all my other bikes. I moved 25mm of spacers to above the stem, and that bike is now comfortable for any distance I can manage.

So, discomfort on the bike related to bar height or reach is NOT always about the bars being too low or too far away. Sometimes, it's the opposite.
My wife had this identical experience. But if you think about it, it does make sense. If the bars are higher up, you will be leaning on them more. If you are balanced correctly on the saddle, there will be a point where you lower them where almost no weight is on them.
Old 06-10-23, 05:49 PM
mr,grumpy 

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
My wife had this identical experience. But if you think about it, it does make sense. If the bars are higher up, you will be leaning on them more. If you are balanced correctly on the saddle, there will be a point where you lower them where almost no weight is on them.
YES! That's how it feels but I never would have been eloquent enough to describe it that way. My body feels more balance on the bike. More part of it instead of just sitting on top of it and leaning forward.

2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 06-10-23, 05:50 PM
mr,grumpy 

Originally Posted by roadsnakes
I have a Very bad back.
Changed my stem , raised it as far as I could, and eventually flipped it. Really worked for me.

'

'
That seems like a super novel solution. Your dedication to not only keep riding but to keep THAT bike and make it work for you is admirable.

2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 06-12-23, 04:07 AM
anduin z

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe it doesn't reach enough
Old 06-12-23, 11:09 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by anduin z
Maybe it doesn't reach enough
Then you flip the bars over. Sheesh

Old 06-12-23, 11:31 AM
indyfabz

I am going to ask the mods to edit the title of this thread because ot gives me an ear worm every time I see it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-12-23, 11:39 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rsbob
Then you flip the bars over. Sheesh
Not sure if you don't believe in this, but it was a thing in Philly back in the 70s. Some people would flip drop bars up on their ten speeds so they couple pop wheelies easier.

And dig this. One of the people in my cross country tour group had a bad back and neck and rode with his drop bars flipped up. He sat virtually vertically. Made his very unstable. The second day of the trip we had to cross a floating bridge on Puget Sound. The strong crosswind blew him over. But the guy survived 2.5 years in a Nazi P.O.W. camp during WWII as a member of the R.C.A.F., so he was allowed to do anything he wanted as far as I was concerned. He turned 77 during the tour. Lived to be 90.
Old 06-13-23, 07:43 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
OP probably kissed a girl, then flipped his stem. Then flipped it again and again. Now he's having some vision issues.
Old 06-13-23, 09:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Not sure if you don't believe in this, but it was a thing in Philly back in the 70s. Some people would flip drop bars up on their ten speeds so they couple pop wheelies easier.
People generally do it around here as their D.U.I. set up since they aren't able to drive a car they get an old road bike and flip the bars because they aren't really riders and they aren't ready to go sober or anything. I see it less and less as time goes on but used to be a bit more common. I guess hybrids keep becoming easier to find?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.