Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eroica California 2023 - Sept. 17, 2023 in Cambria, CA

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eroica California 2023 - Sept. 17, 2023 in Cambria, CA

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-22, 04:50 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 311 Posts

Rode this thing 3 days in a row now. I have always built a "new" bike for each Eroica, but this one is just too smooth and fast. This was last year's bike.
Old 10-28-22, 05:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Sorry dude. You need a road bike.
But a 1987 Klein would be pass the test for Eroica...

Old 10-28-22, 07:58 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
But a 1987 Klein would be pass the test for Eroica...

I’ve volunteered to be one of the Compliance & Classification Review Officers. We’ll see. (PP in pm).
Old 10-28-22, 11:00 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
For all the past issues, if I still lived in the area, I'd register and pay and attend.

I'm concerned by the September date, though. That's often the hottest month of the year and it could be brutal.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 10-28-22, 11:30 PM
Classtime 

Besides the weather, the food, the Italians, the rules, the hills, the dirt, the course, the lodging, and I need to point out that the dining in Paso Robles beats Cambria by several stars, it is a good event worth every penny. Just waiting for CFO approval and I’m in.
Old 10-29-22, 01:40 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I'd go if I had a 1988 Klein.
I'm surprised at you Gugie, you have at least 9 months to find and create that bike, surely you could do that?

Originally Posted by mhespenheide
For all the past issues, if I still lived in the area, I'd register and pay and attend.

I'm concerned by the September date, though. That's often the hottest month of the year and it could be brutal.
I hear you on the heat inland. Of course, you could do the PCH ride and also take some rides from Morro Bay to Ragged Point. Cambria to Morro Bay is 21 miles, maybe 22 if going to Fisherman's Wharf area, 44 mile RT. then return to Ragged Point Inn is another 44 miles or so. Cambria to Ragged point is 24 miles, so 48 mile RT.

Originally Posted by Classtime
Besides the weather, the food, the Italians, the rules, the hills, the dirt, the course, the lodging, and I need to point out that the dining in Paso Robles beats Cambria by several stars, it is a good event worth every penny. Just waiting for CFO approval and I’m in.
I found Robin's in Cambria to be very good, as was Moonstone Beach Bar and Grille. I liked La Terraza for Mexican as well as Boni's Tacos, Main Street Grille, Cambria Pub, Black Cat Bistro, Mezzo Italiano and Indigo Moon. Lots of other less expensive choice in town. But Paso is only 40 minutes away so dinner and wine can be had for a drive. Hope the CFO see the ROI for this investment, plus bring the CFO along for a fact finding and wine tasting mission. Nothing beats in person evaluation. Or Linn's Easy as Pie or French Corner Bakery.
Old 10-29-22, 02:07 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
I registered shortly after I got the email on Tuesday and got the early bird special. Everything went through easily.
Brad, did you have a specific Classic ride box to click and did it require you to have any "coupon code" to enter and then worked to register? The 114212 code that I can see I believe is just the event item designation. I'm having the same trouble as others above.

Here's the email I sent back to them at info@eroicacalifornia.com
Hello Amadeo or others helping, I received the below email for Eroica California. I was a participant and rider for the 2022 event, having had a registration from the 2020 event carry over. I clicked on the Super Early Bird Register button, logged into "My Eroica" account, and clicked on the Classic Eroica California event. Next page gave me an "enter Coupon code" number but I have no code and none was given in the email. The event number 114212 does not work for the coupon box. I can get to a registration for the Cena Eroica so that part is working. Can you please advise a coupon code so I can take advantage of your super early bird registration of $90 prior to the Nov. 7, 2022 deadline. Thank you,

Edit: got an immediate automated reply:
Grazie per la tua e-mail. La richiesta (17915) è stata ricevuta e il personale dell’assistenza se ne sta occupando. Ti risponderemo non appena possibile.

Grazie mille

Per aggiungere altri commenti, rispondi a questa email.ù

Translates to:
Thanks for your email. The request (17915) has been received and the assistance staff is dealing with it. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

A thousand thanks

To add more comments, reply to this email

I'll advise when I get an answer.

Last edited by mech986; 10-29-22 at 02:13 AM.
Likes For mech986:
Old 10-29-22, 05:58 AM
Kabuki12

Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
Brad, did you have a specific Classic ride box to click and did it require you to have any "coupon code" to enter and then worked to register? The 114212 code that I can see I believe is just the event item designation. I'm having the same trouble as others above.

Hello Amadeo or others helping, I received the below email for Eroica California. I was a participant and rider for the 2022 event, having had a registration from the 2020 event carry over. I clicked on the Super Early Bird Register button, logged into "My Eroica" account, and clicked on the Classic Eroica California event. Next page gave me an "enter Coupon code" number but I have no code and none was given in the email. The event number 114212 does not work for the coupon box. I can get to a registration for the Cena Eroica so that part is working. Can you please advise a coupon code so I can take advantage of your super early bird registration of $90 prior to the Nov. 7, 2022 deadline. Thank you,

Grazie per la tua e-mail. La richiesta (17915) è stata ricevuta e il personale dell’assistenza se ne sta occupando. Ti risponderemo non appena possibile.

Grazie mille

Per aggiungere altri commenti, rispondi a questa email.ù

Translates to:
Thanks for your email. The request (17915) has been received and the assistance staff is dealing with it. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

A thousand thanks

To add more comments, reply to this email

I'll advise when I get an answer.
Bartly, I had a box where I could select the ride I wanted. I registered and paid as soon as I got the notice. My sign in information saved from previous years worked and they retained my info. I find it really odd that when I inquired whether it was going to happen I got the same generic Italian response you did and then …. The announcement. I must not have been the only one inquiring.
Old 10-29-22, 07:05 AM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 321 Posts
There were separate boxes for Nova, Classic, Combo, Coupon Registration, Dinner, and the Early Bird Special. I chose the Early Bird Special and got the $90 deal. I did not have to enter any coupon codes.
Old 10-29-22, 10:25 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I'm surprised at you Gugie, you have at least 9 months to find and create that bike, surely you could do that?
You're missing my warped sense of humor.

"Eroica rides are organized exclusively for Bici Eroiche (Historical Bikes); road-racing bikes built in 1987 or earlier, both with and without gears. These bikes normally have a steel frame..."

A modern steel frame passes, aluminum, no. Unless, of course, it was built in 1987 or earlier. So a 1987 Klein with proper kit passes, but a 1988 Klein would not. But I find that @Classtime is joining the Eroica Carabinieri and is wise to this, and has probably already downloaded the Klein serial number secret decoder ring to foil my plot. I've got a GIF of him practicing his bike rejection move:

Old 10-29-22, 10:32 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Hello Amadeo or others helping, I received the below email for Eroica California....

Grazie mille

Per aggiungere altri commenti, rispondi a questa email.
If I were registering for an Italian Eroica ride, I'd be an Ugly American for complaining about the response in Italian. Since this is an event in the US, I think it wouldn't be asking much that the communication was in English. It would be a simple thing to have an American or two volunteer to parse these emails and help out in answering questions. I'd think there's a dozen BF'ers that would jump in to help.
Old 10-29-22, 12:55 PM
Kabuki12

^^ Yes , they had at least one every year until COVID hit and then it kind of dwindled. There was a girl in San Luis Obispo that would filter communication but she finally gave up over a year ago. From what I have gathered , it would be tough. I would not volunteer
Old 10-29-22, 02:23 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
You're missing my warped sense of humor. "Eroica rides are organized exclusively for Bici Eroiche (Historical Bikes); road-racing bikes built in 1987 or earlier, both with and without gears. These bikes normally have a steel frame..." A modern steel frame passes, aluminum, no. Unless, of course, it was built in 1987 or earlier. So a 1987 Klein with proper kit passes, but a 1988 Klein would not.
I will admit that my own contrary nature and warped sense of humor makes me want to take a mid-eighties Klein or Cannondale to Eroica CA, partially just to mess with the organizers. They call out Vitus and Alan aluminum bikes as allowed, and Graftek and Speedwell for carbon and titanium. But (as you point out) Klein and Cannondale should be allowed if they're age-appropriate. I wouldn't do it in Italy, but I might do it in California.

But, realistically, I'm not going to buy and equip a bike just for a joke that others might well not get. And I'm super-happy with the bike that I would ride. So I'll just have to run that one or some future 650b conversion and thumb my nose at the organizers that way instead.
Old 10-29-22, 06:52 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
I will admit that my own contrary nature and warped sense of humor makes me want to take a mid-eighties Klein or Cannondale to Eroica CA, partially just to mess with the organizers. They call out Vitus and Alan aluminum bikes as allowed, and Graftek and Speedwell for carbon and titanium. But (as you point out) Klein and Cannondale should be allowed if they're age-appropriate. I wouldn't do it in Italy, but I might do it in California.

But, realistically, I'm not going to buy and equip a bike just for a joke that others might well not get. And I'm super-happy with the bike that I would ride. So I'll just have to run that one or some future 650b conversion and thumb my nose at the organizers that way instead.
You can also stick it to the man by riding your pre 1987 in the Nova and your plastic bike in the vintage event.
Likes For tmnguuyen:
Old 10-30-22, 06:26 AM
Classtime 

I’m trying to register but get this

Old 10-30-22, 02:21 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
[QUOTE=Classtime;22695074]I’m trying to register but get this

/QUOTE]

Subtle way of advising you are not wanted?
Old 10-30-22, 06:02 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 176 Posts
I'm getting the same screen as Classtime and I have sent an email to the info@ email address.
Likes For Andy Antipas:
Old 10-31-22, 10:32 AM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
Same screen for me last night, and my wife, the Italian website thing is challenging at best, last year when i couldn't get my wife registered, i sent an email, it was a month before someone actually reached back out to me to try and solve it, by then i had got it done.

The $90.00 super early bird will likely expire before we can get registered at that rate... but we will keep trying.
Old 10-31-22, 10:50 AM
vlocityboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Registration Hiccups

I'm seeing the same thing and have received the same reply. Fingers crossed for a quick resolution!
Likes For vlocityboy:
Old 11-02-22, 08:52 AM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
bump TTT we have to keep this fresh or it will disappear ..

It occurs to me we should be pushing the NOVA on the modern guys in some way, i think the NOVA combo is actually a good thing, Eroica must realize all the old farts like us are not going to do the vintage ride for ever...
Likes For Gary12000:
Old 11-02-22, 09:38 AM
Classtime 

This is "for ever". Do the combo! I did it last year. I was so familiar with the course after riding the Nova that on Sunday I missed the turn onto Santa Rita and did many extra miles

Last edited by Classtime; 11-02-22 at 10:19 AM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 11-02-22, 10:59 AM
Kabuki12

I just checked My Eroica and this came up so no problems. I registered as soon as I got word of "the deal" of $90 . The history only goes back to 2018 but it allowed me to select the P.B. route and I was registered. Again, this was right after I got the notice. I thought I would double check to make sure anyway, its there! Joe
Old 11-02-22, 11:35 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,049 Posts
I've been on the road for the past three weeks. Now that I'm home (well before the November 7 early-bird loyalty discount deadline), I am having the same problems as outlined above; it won't let me register without a promo code, and no promo code was provided in the e-mail or anywhere else. It also sounds like the Italian Eroica overlords are being as (non)responsive as usual in dealing with computer/registration issues. They do seem to refuse to get their sh*t together, almost as if they are daring us not to show up. Very frustrating.

Edit: Okay, I just sent my e-mail asking for the promo code. We'll see if it does any good. Based on their past performance, I'd say the odds are 50/50.

Last edited by bikingshearer; 11-02-22 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-02-22, 07:08 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
I used L'EROICA in the code box. It got me to the registration page but would not allow me to register. ANybody have any luck with other codes?
Old 11-02-22, 07:12 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Thalia949
I used L'EROICA in the code box. It got me to the registration page but would not allow me to register. ANybody have any luck with other codes?
very resourceful, let the guess the code game begin,
how about early bird?.??
Likes For tmnguuyen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.