Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What it means to be a "cyclist"

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-22-23, 01:57 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts

This hits the nail rght on the head. Some argue that you're a "cyclist" if you ride a bicycle, but IMO, the word can have a highly negative connotation in North America as well as, according to this video, in the UK.

"The sad truth is that lebelling people as 'cyclists' dehumanizes them and puts them in an out-group that
some people believes justifies literal violence against them."

"I totally understand how people become the stereotypical 'angry cyclist' as I was starting to become one
myself. Because you're constantly judged unfairly, put in a position of having to justify the actions of
others, and have to put up with literal physical harm just because of the stereotypes of your group."

For this and other reasons, I try not to call myself a cyclist. I just ride a bicycle.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-22-23, 02:10 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I’m a cyclist full stop
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 05-22-23, 02:11 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,671 Posts
Doesn't matter whether you, personally, identify as a cyclist or not. When you're out on your bike, those who feel antagonism toward cyclists (as well as those who don't) see you as a cyclist.
Old 05-22-23, 02:13 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Doesn't matter whether you, personally, identify as a cyclist or not. When you're out on your bike, those who feel antagonism toward cyclists (as well as those who don't) see you as a cyclist.
Sadly, that's true. That's what is discussed in the video, too.

The term "cyclist" has another connotation, which is that you ride a bile as a sport and/or for recreation/fitness. That may also contribute the negativity against people on bike in North America.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 05-22-23, 02:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked 5,380 Times in 2,731 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
The term "cyclist" has another connotation, which is that you ride a bile as a sport and/or for recreation/fitness. That may also contribute the negativity against people on bike in North America.
Why would it?
Old 05-22-23, 02:28 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Why would it?
He said he rides a "bile." That explains the anger.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-22-23, 02:33 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Why would it?
The video I quoted above touches that topic.

Old 05-22-23, 02:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4919 Post(s)
Liked 8,026 Times in 3,796 Posts
To me, it's more than just the technical/literal application of the word to any person who is riding a bicycle. IMO, identifying as a "cyclist" relates to one's passion for cycling. A co-worker and his family recently spent a day on rented bicycles roaming around a city where they were vacationing. The bicycles they were riding were no more to them than a method of transportation. Yes, they were cycling on that day, but none of them were what I would consider to be a "cyclist". Conversely, a good friend of mine spent a week in France with an organized bike tour group, riding parts of Tour de France stages. He arranged to rent a high-end road bike (similar to his own) while he was there, and brought all of his own typical riding accessories from home - clothing, shoes, helmet, gloves, computer, etc. I would consider him a "cyclist".

I play guitar and bass, and have put time, effort, and (less importantly) money into my craft to improve my playing. I would consider myself a "cyclist" much in the same way I consider myself a "musician".

Last edited by Eric F; 05-22-23 at 02:51 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 05-22-23, 02:58 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by Eric F
To me, it's more than just the technical/literal application of the word to any person who is riding a bicycle. IMO, identifying as a "cyclist" relates to one's passion for cycling. A co-worker and his family recently spent a day on rented bicycles roaming around a city where they were vacationing. The bicycles they were riding were no more to them than a method of transportation. Yes, they were cycling on that day, but none of them were what I would consider to be a "cyclist". Conversely, a good friend of mine spent a week in France with an organized bike tour group, riding parts of Tour de France stages. He arranged to rent a high-end road bike (similar to his own) while he was there, and brought all of his own typical riding accessories from home - clothing, shoes, helmet, gloves, computer, etc. I would consider him a "cyclist".

I play guitar and bass, and have put time, effort, and (less importantly) money into my craft to improve my playing. I would consider myself a "cyclist" much in the same way I consider myself a "musician".
You've put it very well. I believe your definition is well aligned with mine as people who ride recreationally tend to be passionate about cycling. (Why would they ride at all, otherwise?)

Old 05-22-23, 03:00 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
Awesome! I can put myself into an "out-group", and claim to be at the risk of violence. I will now join the conversation of perpetual victimhood with my sister-in-law!
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 05-22-23, 03:11 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 1,921 Times in 1,205 Posts
I'm a cyclist, ergo...

I'm oppressed! Come see the violence inherent in the system!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-22-23, 03:12 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

You've put it very well. I believe your definition is well aligned with mine as people who ride recreationally tend to be passionate about cycling. (Why would they ride at all, otherwise?)
The people I ride with tend to be of a similar mindset to me about bikes, and of a similar passion level. Likewise, most BF'ers tend to be pretty passionate about bikes. However, there are people who see their bike as just a tool for transportation. Looking at bike-users around the world, I would guess that more people see bikes that way than they see them as part of a passionate hobby.
Old 05-22-23, 03:13 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
It's more like What it means to be a "semanticist".
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 05-22-23, 03:16 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
This hits the nail rght on the head. Some argue that you're a "cyclist" if you ride a bicycle, but IMO, the word can have a highly negative connotation in North America as well as, according to this video, in the UK.
I could not disagree more. You ride a bicycle, you are a cyclist. In my experience, the word itself is fairly neutral. While I know a handful of opinionated people who dislike cyclists, they also dislike anyone who does anything they don't like or understand.

Honestly, there are so many things we could all spend our time doing, that I don't understand arguing over semantics. I'd rather ride my bike.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-22-23, 03:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Here in North America / Canada , the way the non-cycling public perceives you when you're riding a bike all depends on if you're wearing a kit or not.
Old 05-22-23, 03:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
However, there are people who see their bike as just a tool for transportation. Looking at bike-users around the world, I would guess that more people see bikes that way than they see them as part of a passionate hobby.
Some bike commuters and transportation cyclists are also very passionate bike enthusiasts, that's the main reason why they bike commute is because they have passion for bikes and cycling.
Old 05-22-23, 03:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by bbbean
I could not disagree more. You ride a bicycle, you are a cyclist. In my experience, the word itself is fairly neutral. While I know a handful of opinionated people who dislike cyclists, they also dislike anyone who does anything they don't like or understand.

Honestly, there are so many things we could all spend our time doing, that I don't understand arguing over semantics. I'd rather ride my bike.

BB
That right there is why you fit into my definition of a "cyclist". Cycling is something you would rather be doing than (likely, I'm guessing) a lot of other things. Meanwhile, to my co-worker that I used in my previous example, riding a bike probably wouldn't even occur to him as something he would rather be doing, despite the fact that he has ridden on multiple occasions before.

That said, I would agree that non-cycling people tend to lump anyone on a bike in the "cyclist" group. Of course, this is based on the ignorant belief that all bike riders share the same level of affliction.
Old 05-22-23, 03:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Some bike commuters and transportation cyclists are also very passionate bike enthusiasts, that's the main reason why they bike commute is because they have passion for bikes and cycling.
Absolutely. I wasn't attempting to imply that all commuters only see their bike as a mode of transportation, without passion for the machine.
Old 05-22-23, 03:30 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I don't get a lot of negative feedback about being a cyclist. Or about being a guy who rides a bicycle. Not sure the terms used make much difference in anyone's reaction.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-22-23, 03:44 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
IMO…in spite of what this headline says…these dirtbags are not cyclists.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/video-cap...broad-daylight

Dan
Old 05-22-23, 03:48 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
That right there is why you fit into my definition of a "cyclist". Cycling is something you would rather be doing than (likely, I'm guessing) a lot of other things. Meanwhile, to my co-worker that I used in my previous example, riding a bike probably wouldn't even occur to him as something he would rather be doing, despite the fact that he has ridden on multiple occasions before.

That said, I would agree that non-cycling people tend to lump anyone on a bike in the "cyclist" group. Of course, this is based on the ignorant belief that all bike riders share the same level of affliction.
The indigent folks who can't afford a car and ride down my road picking up cans are also cyclists. The guy who got his 3rd DUI and rides a bike to work is a cyclist. Grandma and Grandpa riding rental bikes at the beach are cyclists. Pee Wee Herman is a cyclist, as is the wicked with of the West and Mr Bean (no relation).

I don't want to come off as anti-semantic, but this sort of bickering just divides people who would otherwise share an interest in using a fairly common machine.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 05-22-23, 03:52 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4324 Post(s)
Liked 3,947 Times in 2,639 Posts
Didn't this topic already happen like a few weeks ago? Do whatever call yourself whatever just know that we all as human beings could be better all over the board.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-22-23, 03:59 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

The indigent folks who can't afford a car and ride down my road picking up cans are also cyclists. The guy who got his 3rd DUI and rides a bike to work is a cyclist. Grandma and Grandpa riding rental bikes at the beach are cyclists. Pee Wee Herman is a cyclist, as is the wicked with of the West and Mr Bean (no relation).

I don't want to come off as anti-semantic, but this sort of bickering just divides people who would otherwise share an interest in using a fairly common machine.
You are free to use the word as you see fit. Nowhere did I indicate my definition was anything other than my opinion about the way I choose to apply it. Nor did I dictate how other people need to define it.

Pee Wee was a "cyclist" (my definition). His passion for his bike was quite evident.
Old 05-22-23, 04:06 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts

I'm not sure there is sufficient commonality or cohesion among this diverse set of humans that it constitutes a group capable of being divided.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-22-23, 04:45 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by jon c.
I'm not sure there is sufficient commonality or cohesion among this diverse set of humans that it constitutes a group capable of being divided.
I agree with jon c. There are lots of people in the world who use bicycles as a means of transport. For them, bicycles are just tools to help them get around, just like cars are for most people in the US. The term "cyclist" doesn't describe those people, IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.