Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Local bike shop screwed me!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-23, 03:42 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts

Last fall I had a Specialized Hot Rock bike sitting around my garage. Grandson outgrew it. Excellent shape, $500 new. So I took it to a local bike shop to see if they wanted it. I would've sold it to them for almost anything since I had no use for it. They didn't want to buy it but said they'd put it on consignment. I said sure, whatever. I filled out a form and that was that.

Over the winter I almost forgot about it. They never called and I didn't give it any thought since it was snow and ice outside and not exactly bicycle weather. Today I was in that section of town and I stopped in. The bike isn't in the showroom and the guy tells me he doesn't have any recollection of the bike and has no sales records from that long ago. I (stupidly) don't have a copy of the form I filled out.

Here's the thing: If he'd told me when I brought the bike in that they were struggling and couldn't give me anything for the bike but took donations, I would've gladly given him the bike. But instead he chose to lie and effectively stole the freakin' bike. I don't care about the money but it's the principle of the thing.

Talk about making it hard to support your local bike shop.
Old 05-30-23, 03:46 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Screwed yourself by not keeping a copy of the consignment paperwork.

And if you were OK giving them the bike, well, you gave them the bike. Whats the problem.
Old 05-30-23, 03:55 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
You think the shop intentionally stole a bike that was likely worth less than $100?
Old 05-30-23, 04:19 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
Last fall I had a Specialized Hot Rock bike sitting around my garage. Grandson outgrew it. Excellent shape, $500 new. So I took it to a local bike shop to see if they wanted it. I would've sold it to them for almost anything since I had no use for it. They didn't want to buy it but said they'd put it on consignment. I said sure, whatever. I filled out a form and that was that.

Over the winter I almost forgot about it. They never called and I didn't give it any thought since it was snow and ice outside and not exactly bicycle weather. Today I was in that section of town and I stopped in. The bike isn't in the showroom and the guy tells me he doesn't have any recollection of the bike and has no sales records from that long ago. I (stupidly) don't have a copy of the form I filled out.

Here's the thing: If he'd told me when I brought the bike in that they were struggling and couldn't give me anything for the bike but took donations, I would've gladly given him the bike. But instead he chose to lie and effectively stole the freakin' bike. I don't care about the money but it's the principle of the thing.

Talk about making it hard to support your local bike shop.
I put the key elements of your post in bold font.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-30-23, 04:51 PM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Hmmm. Admittedly a dumb post. Too late to delete. Forget I said anything.
Likes For Thulsadoom:
Old 05-30-23, 04:52 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Hm, no sales records from a year ago. Sounds like the shop needs a friendly visit from the IRS.

It's the Internet. If you show any sign of weakness, you will be attacked.
Old 05-30-23, 04:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
You can edit your first post to say only "please delete thread" and a mod may do that for you.
Old 05-30-23, 05:20 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
locate your copy of paperwork & present it to the BBB along with your statement.

bad business is not & should never be tolerated.
Old 05-30-23, 05:23 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
Hmmm. Admittedly a dumb post. Too late to delete. Forget I said anything.

No, it's not really a dumb post. It reflects very poorly on the integrity and/or business practices of the shop.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-30-23, 05:29 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Sometimes you just have to vent @Thulsadoom . I got to agree with you that this didn't go down right. If you knew you were going to give it away, you probably would have chose a way that was different or even donate it to the bike shop, but you would know up front it was a donation. Bike shops sometimes change people and people forget. They probably forgot and assumed they were selling a bike that a customer hadn't picked up in a couple of years. There is no way of telling for sure.

It is best to forgive and forget in this case. I'm saying that because I think you are right. Although you weren't going to make a lot on it anyway after consignment fees. And it is healthier to think about good things.

By the way, I didn't know were Cape Vincent, NY was so I looked it up. That is a beautiful area. Get out and enjoy while the weather is good. I have gotta add that to the places to see someday.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 05-30-23, 05:51 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
Did you talk to the shop owner? If so this is a dishonest shop.
In any event, next time just put the bike up for sale on Craigslist. I've bought and sold 6 of these Specialized Hotrocks on Craigslist while the kids were growing up, going through the 12", 16", and 20" versions. There is a steady market for these as long as you are not too greedy.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 05-30-23, 05:52 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 273 Posts
Nope.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You think the shop intentionally stole a bike that was likely worth less than $100?
I have to run out of stuff to sell before I steep as low as to get into flipping kids' bikes.

Paying $500 for a Specialized HotRock? That's the original buyers' problem.

I honestly believe the shop got rid of it rather quickly shortly after it was dropped off.

I can't imagine any shop wasting valuable space that could have used to store perhaps a vintage 80s Specialized bike instead, which too is only worth about $50, but may retail for a bit more if it's clean up with colorful handgrips.

Since the OP never followed up with the sale, I believe it just got forgotten. Lost in time.

The shop isn't going to prioritize record keeping to get $20 over to a consignor. Honestly I would have just asked the shop for bottle of chain lube of their choice and not waste time returning there.

OP could have used their phone to take a picture of the paperwork, and a picture of the bike in the store.

It's a no from me. The shop didn't screw anyone over. There are bigger ticket items for them to do that on. Not something as silly as a kids' bike.

Old 05-30-23, 06:18 PM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
You were not treated badly.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 05-30-23, 06:28 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,221 Posts
I know a guy who set up a consignment with a shop and had a similar experience. His was a collectable Boss 26". Seems the employee that set it up no longer worked there and the bike went missing. He never pursued it.
Old 05-30-23, 06:32 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Is that the perp that stole the bike?
Originally Posted by soyabean
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-30-23, 06:46 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 273 Posts
Folks that get common bikes stolen must go nuts when they check Craigslist/fb and see dozens of the same for sale.
Attached Images
Old 05-30-23, 07:02 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
No, it's not really a dumb post. It reflects very poorly on the integrity and/or business practices of the shop.
But it also reflects poorly on the poster for not keeping the receipt, then he says he would have given them the bike, but now wants an accounting of the bike. None of this makes sense to me.

But as the poster said, let it be, forget about it.
Old 05-30-23, 07:10 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
The other side of this argument is the bike shop had an old bike in their shop that they couldn't move. They may have mis-placed the paperwork and couldn't get ahold of you. You should have kept the paperwork in a desk drawer and checked in with the shop once a month or so. It's your bike, not theirs. They were sort of doing you a favor.

I did the same with my old Pinarello in my local shop. After a couple of months they couldn't find a buyer for the whole bike (some wanted to part it out) and I usually go to that shop every other week just to say hi when I'm on a ride.

After two months I went in to see them and they said they'll keep trying but I could tell they wanted the bike out of the shop. I obliged and decided to not sell the bike. I STILL have that receipt in my desk drawer, not sure why, it's been two years since I brought it back home.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 05-30-23 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-30-23, 07:31 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
First world problems
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-30-23, 07:45 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 261 Posts
My takeaway from this relates less to a bike shop or personal recordkeeping/legalities.
It reflects on dishonesty from essentially a handshake deal. Geez...can't trust anybody nowadays...

P.S. The OP's copy of the paperwork might not say anything other than the shop shares in the sales proceeds.
50% of zero (like if it got stolen or donated) equals zero. The LBS likely does not absorb any financial responsibility.

Last edited by roadcrankr; 05-30-23 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-30-23, 07:48 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 288 Posts
If you feel you were mistreated or lied to name the bike shop to prevent a similar situation.

Should you have kept the paperwork? Sure.
Should the shop have records? Sure.

I know the aggravation of feeling they stole something from you. I presume it's about the principle than the money.
Since you're technically not out money, because you would have donated it otherwise, make it a learning experience and move on.
Save paperwork. IMHO, consignment sales blow. Either the price is set too high or after the fee, you don't get much.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 05-30-23, 07:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts
This ‘issue’ has no impact on supporting my LBSs.

My take on your story is that the shop didn’t go out of its way to screw anyone, especially for that amount of money. To me, the shop had a poor business practice, and the bike got lost in the shuffle. But I don’t think they had a personal vendetta or were out to purposefully rip you off. Poop happens and you were the unfortunate recipient.

If it were me, I would have donated the bike to a charity or someone less fortunate.

Last edited by rsbob; 05-30-23 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-30-23, 08:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
locate your copy of paperwork & present it to the BBB along with your statement.

bad business is not & should never be tolerated.
Don’t you think he has looked for the paperwork?
Old 05-31-23, 12:26 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
That's a bummer and I, too, would be hesitant to support that shop again after something like this.
Old 05-31-23, 02:57 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
Out of curiosity, how long passed between you giving them the bike on consignment and you asking about it? You mention forgetting about it and winter, so I'm assuming we're talking about about 6 months here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.