Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Indexed vs Friction Shifters

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Indexed vs Friction Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-23, 11:05 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10422 Post(s)
Liked 11,884 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Yikes! How the mighty have fallen!

Dura Ace was an upstart in 1973. By 1984 Dura Ace was just the writing on the wall for Campy. Campy didn't come out with its poorly-functioning Syncro until 3 years later...
It wasn't till 1999 that somebody won the TdF on Dura Ace - of course, the record books say "No Winner" - so I'd say in 1984 DA was still an upstart. But they were pushing hard while Campagnolo was resting on its laurels.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-02-23, 11:06 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
With the indexed dt shifters do they click once then go back to center?
None that I've seen. Haven't owned a DT index shifter but I ran the SunTour Commands on the bars for years. Operation is just like a friction shifter except you have the indents to locate each gear center. You can reach down or look at any time and feel/see what gear you are in.
Old 06-02-23, 11:06 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
No we can not! The fact we are still discussing friction shifting is ridiculous. This is like defending the use of hand cranking starting cars after the implementation of the electric starter.

By the way triples have ended up in the dustbin of history as well.

I guess just because you don't like them, you have relagated them to the dustbin of your mind. Sorry, but triples are alive and well, and used on touring bikes to this day.
Likes For phughes:
Old 06-02-23, 11:18 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10422 Post(s)
Liked 11,884 Times in 6,088 Posts
The 7400 stuff was my first love. As for the earlier DA, I've thought about purchasing a few pieces, just to collect and admire. Their AX stuff was way ahead of its time. Now all anyone can talk about is "aero." Shimano practically invented the concept.
The 7100 stuff is just okay. I think Shimano hadn't decided yet to go for the brass ring. But starting with 7200, they got serious. One of my favorite bikes is a 1982 Lotus Supreme with 7200. Previous owners had replaced the non-aero levers with Dia Compe aero levers, and the RD was a Sun Tour. And that cool, funky 7200 headset that needs special wrenches was replaced with a Campy. It's actually not that expensive to buy 7200 parts on Ebay, so it's not been too bad. There are even people still making the adapters you need to run regular pedals with the 7200 "Dyna Drive" cranks. AND making the special wrenches for the headset.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-03-23, 04:51 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Properly-adjusted indexed shifting gives you precise shifts EVERY time, even when your hand movements are less than precise. The accuracy of shifts with friction shifting is completely dependent on the accuracy of your hand movements.

Indexed shifting has been around for a pretty long time (40-ish years - not exactly “modern”, for bike technology). It has proven to be VERY reliable.
Indexed/brifter/trigger shifting for the rear is great.

I’d happily go back to friction front shifting.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 06-03-23, 05:22 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I friction shift because I know how to and that's about that. I tried some indexing back in 1990 when I was working in a bike shop and assembled new bikes. During the rest ride of course I had to test the shifting. It was okay, nothing earth shattering and it certainly didn't move me to want to go out and buy some. I thought indexing was unnecessary as I already knew how to shift, and had no desire to relegate that skill to a third party, let alone limit myself to linear sequential one-click-at-a-time moving of the chain. It seemed like a step backwards. With friction you can swiftly move the chain over the cogs from big to small and vice versa with one swift motion. I like that.

Now with the brifters and front indexing and all that, I say to each their own. If you wanna tell me friction is "out of date, antiquated, slow or limiting", well hah hah, the only thing "out of date, antiquated, slow or limiting", is just that... that anything is "out of date, antiquated, slow or limiting".

One form of shifting isn't in opposition to any other, they're each valid in their own way.
Likes For Garthr:
Old 06-03-23, 06:58 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Brifters are nice, but you know what? I get on my old 1990 vintage 105 down tube shifter equipt Cannondale and the indexed shifting is a joy to use. I never really minded down tube shifters and the friction shifting on that bike which has seen more miles than I care to estimate has been flawless. I don't see a need for friction other than maybe as a backup just in case for RD shifting. I used friction shifting until really nice indexed shifting was available and it was okay, but when indexed was perfected I didn't see a reason to not use it.

On the front I don't mind friction and indexing seems almost pointless.

BTW, I never found any joy with bar end shifters of any type.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 06-03-23, 08:27 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Dura Ace was an upstart in 1973.
Dura-Ace was just a centerpull brake caliper in 1973, and not a particularly high-end piece:

It wasn't until several years later that Shimano decided to use the Dura-Ace moniker for a high-end racing component group. The Dura-Ace centerpull caliper got renamed to Tourney, the Crane derailleurs were renamed to Dura-Ace, and a sidepull caliper, crankset, hubs, etc. completed the group.

By 1984 Dura Ace was just the writing on the wall for Campy. Campy didn't come out with its poorly-functioning Syncro until 3 years later...
Shimano introduced its SIS indexed shifting system with a huge advertising campaign, and convinced OEMs to adopt SIS by insisting that they had to spec the whole group in order to get SIS. This dried up demand for other components of all types; the French component industry was decimated, and even Campanolo was on the ropes for several years. SIS was an impressive technical achievement, but the marketing achievement was even more impressive.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-03-23, 09:04 AM
Xavier65

Bikes: Saracen Conquest. Claud Butler Majestic. Viking VK500. Crossmaxx 28" Pinion.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Reliability is very good with modern STI, but they do tend to gum up with high mileage. Especially in cold weather.
Whereas downtube shifters are much more foolproof. There is little mechanism to gum up, and very little cable housing to wear out. Another advantage of DT shifting is the mechanical feel. You can really feel the gear teeth engaging with the chain.
Downtube indexed shifting is the best option option for people who want to try out DT shifting. As for friction shifting - I see no reason for that to exist anymore.
Friction shifters are much more tolerant of abuse, neglect, mud, and adverse conditions (<5C) than indexed. That's why I would never think of removing my heavy duty friction thumbshifters from my mountain bike.

Indexed gears are delightful on a road bike/tourer - IF well maintained, and it's good weather.
Old 06-03-23, 09:19 AM
Xavier65

Bikes: Saracen Conquest. Claud Butler Majestic. Viking VK500. Crossmaxx 28" Pinion.

My recent adventure rig setup is 11 speed, 46-30 and 11-40, which is more range than legacy triples, indexes perfectly and is evenly spaced. Triples made sense decades ago when the derailleur technology of the time could not manage large ranges or gear differentials.
I've had a triple on my tourer for over 30 years, 52/42/20 -> 11:36 - and that has suited me down to the ground. It has a wider range than you mention above, i.e. from 52:11 down to 20:36.

I also have a triple on my mountain bike, but I forget the gearing. It's probably an even wider ratio.

If I had to have a derailleur on a new bike, then it'd be a triple.
Old 06-03-23, 09:21 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Xavier65
Friction shifters are much more tolerant of abuse, neglect, mud, and adverse conditions (<5C) than indexed. That's why I would never think of removing my heavy duty friction thumbshifters from my mountain bike.

Indexed gears are delightful on a road bike/tourer - IF well maintained, and it's good weather.
Meh, the Deore XT thumb shifters on my 1990 MTB have been rock solid for muddy riding in the mid atlantic region with lots of muddy races in the Md and PA mountains and West Virginia. I was always an all weather and all season rider and they were trouble free. Worst case there was the option of switching to friction mode, but I don't recall ever needing to. They saw plenty of mud, rain, snow, and sub freezing temps.

I don't ride that bike too often these days, but it still shifts fine when I do. Those vintage XT thumb shifters are good stuff other than being a bit hard on my arthritic thumbs. I'd guess the bar ends of a similar vintage would be similar in reliability, but I hate bar ends so I wouldn't know.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 06-03-23, 09:47 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I've had a triple on my tourer for over 30 years, 52/42/20 -> 11:36 - and that has suited me down to the ground. It has a wider range than you mention above, i.e. from 52:11 down to 20:36.

I also have a triple on my mountain bike, but I forget the gearing. It's probably an even wider ratio.

If I had to have a derailleur on a new bike, then it'd be a triple.
Just out of curiosity what derailleur had a 57 tooth capacity? It’s a limiting factor in most cases.
Old 06-03-23, 11:45 AM
Xavier65

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Meh, the Deore XT thumb shifters on my 1990 MTB have been rock solid for muddy riding in the mid atlantic region with lots of muddy races in the Md and PA mountains and West Virginia. I was always an all weather and all season rider and they were trouble free. Worst case there was the option of switching to friction mode, but I don't recall ever needing to. They saw plenty of mud, rain, snow, and sub freezing temps..
Hmmm. With that commendation, maybe I'll check 'em out as a possible upgrade...
Old 06-03-23, 11:58 AM
Xavier65

Just out of curiosity what derailleur had a 57 tooth capacity? It’s a limiting factor in most cases.
I may have increased the cassette large cog from 34 to 36 a while ago, but front is Shimano FC2303 (small ring swapped with 20T), and back is Shimano Tourney TY300.

It may well be used outside of spec, but the chain is very tight on 52/36 (which I don't use), and fine on 52/11 and 42/11 (no jumping).

Last edited by Xavier65; 06-03-23 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add 42/11
Old 06-03-23, 12:17 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I may have increased the cassette large cog from 34 to 36 a while ago, but front is Shimano FC2303 (small ring swapped with 20T), and back is Shimano Tourney TY300.

It may well be used outside of spec, but the chain is very tight on 52/36 (which I don't use), and fine on 52/11 and 42/11 (no jumping).
Awesome, it’s always amazing how conservative Shimano is. Most of my drivetrains are pushed and surprising how well they work.
Old 06-03-23, 05:19 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3504 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Dura-Ace was just a centerpull brake caliper in 1973, and not a particularly high-end piece

It wasn't until several years later that Shimano decided to use the Dura-Ace moniker for a high-end racing component group.
I believe most of this is incorrect. Yes, they used the Crane rear derailleur, but if you look at images of the 1973 Dura Ace catalog, except for the RD, everything else is in fact "Dura Ace" branded.

1973 Catalog
Likes For smd4:
Old 06-03-23, 05:46 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I believe most of this is incorrect. Yes, they used the Crane rear derailleur, but if you look at images of the 1973 Dura Ace catalog, except for the RD, everything else is in fact "Dura Ace" branded.

1973 Catalog
I concede you're correct as far as the date. Now that I think about it, my freshman roommate in college in 1973 had a Fuji "Finest" on which he replaced the stock Dia-Compe centerpulls with black Dura-Ace sidepulls, so they must have been available by 1973. But before the full group came out, the centerpull caliper was the sole Dura-Ace branded component, and it was not aimed at high-end racing bikes. Once the Dura-Ace group came on the market, the centerpull caliper was renamed "Tourney" and continued to be marketed at entry and mid-level bikes.
Old 06-03-23, 05:54 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I concede you're correct as far as the date. Now that I think about it, my freshman roommate in college in 1973 had a Fuji "Finest" on which he replaced the stock Dia-Compe centerpulls with black Dura-Ace sidepulls, so they must have been available by 1973. But before the full group came out, the centerpull caliper was the sole Dura-Ace branded component, and it was not aimed at high-end racing bikes. Once the Dura-Ace group came on the market, the centerpull caliper was renamed "Tourney" and continued to be marketed at entry and mid-level bikes.
So maybe the name itself predates 1973, and when Shimano decided to chase the racers with a DA group, they realized they better not have the name associated with a poor-quality center pull?
Old 06-03-23, 08:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
I have:
Friction shifters
Indexed friction shifters
Campy Ergo shifters
Ultegra brifters.

When I switch to my earlier bikes with down tubes shifters, I don’t like is not being able to shift gears while climbing out of the saddle as well as not being able to down-shift while braking to a stop. That’s probably why my early bikes are relegated to rain bikes since my speed is much lower.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-04-23, 08:57 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
For me, I think location matters more than the type of mechanism. After riding both my old racing bike and my bro's Clem Smith Jr. around the truly wild and crazy Cactus Loop Drive at Saguaro NP East, Clem's Shimano Mega-9 indexed bar shifters beat the stem shifters on Fredo by a considerable margin. In my youth we would power up the short, steep rolling hills without downshifting but that option is not available to me in my old age golden years. Bar cons may be coming on Fredo, and my new drop-bar mixte build has MicroNew brifters (gasp).

"Everything's up to date in Kansas City,
They've gone about as far as they can go!"

Last edited by Fredo76; 06-04-23 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-05-23, 01:38 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I think we're probably going to see more of the friction shifting content since "Path Less Pedaled" is on a friction shift kick right now.
Old 06-05-23, 01:34 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Friction shift levers mounted on the downtube were never an efficient way to change gears. I would often go one cog past the one I wanted and then need to make the change a second time. No such problems with indexed shifters if set up properly.
Old 06-05-23, 11:52 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 6,476 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Friction shift levers mounted on the down tube were never an efficient way to change gears.

So "never" in some 40 years of professional cycling?

Or on my ride yesterday?
Old 06-06-23, 10:34 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,995 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

So "never" in some 40 years of professional cycling?

Or on my ride yesterday?
They are still obsolete, just like steam engines. A nostalgic throwback to a past era with no relevance to anyone beginning their cycling journey in 2023 unless they specifically want a C&V bike pre mid 80s. Or perhaps someone bodging up a Frankendrivetrain of incompatible parts.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-06-23, 11:10 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by PeteHski
They are still obsolete, just like steam engines.
But both are absolutely a blast to operate!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.