Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear rack for REI CTY 1.1 Disc or regular?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-02-23, 08:56 AM
JimQPublic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Question: Does the Co-Op Cycles CTY 1.1 shown on BikeIndex site with photos including rear dropouts require a disc-specific rear rack or will a basic Topeak Explorer or Blackburn EX-1 fit? It seems that the rack mounts well above the point that it would interfere with the disc brake. She will probably get some folding grocery panniers or maybe a rack basket.

Background: My college-student daughter just bought the REI Co-Op Cycles CTY 1.1, delivered to the REI store near her apartment. She's going to pick it up next week and wants to have the REI shop install a rear rack. Unfortunately the particular REI location doesn't have an appropriate rack on hand and we aren't happy the the REI stock currently available to order. She just needs a basic rear rack not a $100 expedition touring rack.
Old 06-02-23, 09:24 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by JimQPublic
Question: Does the Co-Op Cycles CTY 1.1 shown on BikeIndex site with photos including rear dropouts require a disc-specific rear rack or will a basic Topeak Explorer or Blackburn EX-1 fit? It seems that the rack mounts well above the point that it would interfere with the disc brake. She will probably get some folding grocery panniers or maybe a rack basket.

Background: My college-student daughter just bought the REI Co-Op Cycles CTY 1.1, delivered to the REI store near her apartment. She's going to pick it up next week and wants to have the REI shop install a rear rack. Unfortunately the particular REI location doesn't have an appropriate rack on hand and we aren't happy the the REI stock currently available to order. She just needs a basic rear rack not a $100 expedition touring rack.
I'm pretty sure a 'regular' rack will work on that bike. Those disc specific racks were only needed when the brake calipers were located on top/behind the seat stays.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 06-02-23, 10:48 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
The shop should be able to tell you, but more than likely you can use pretty much any rack. I would look at Racktime or MIK stuff as there are tons of accessories for it (and they are all interchangeable with a different bottom plate) and there are a lot of bikes now coming with that stuff and it is great. I have a MIK rack on my bike and a Basil bag and it is a really great bag and easy on and off but not as easy to steal (not hard though)
Old 06-02-23, 11:13 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 180 Posts
Just looking at it, the regular Topeak rack would fit ( I have several) I don't know about other racks. I am a fan of the Topeak quick track rack and trunk bag system
Old 06-03-23, 04:35 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
That bike has the disc brake calliper mounted on the chain stay. The calliper will not interfere with mounting a rack. Many older bikes had the calliper mounted behind the seat stay where it would interfere with mounting a rack