Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Change Bike 650B

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Change Bike 650B

Old 03-15-21, 07:21 PM
bikewilltravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Yes, that is my ride. Hope it is helpful with the GPX and lodging. I'm not a great writer, lol.

The Changebike is undermentioned, especially with bike touring but I have a feeling I'm going to like it. I also have a Brompton and Ritchey Ascent Breakaway. Except for the Changebike boxing and shopping, I feel the bike will give me the advantages of a Brompton but with larger wheels.
Likes For bikewilltravel:
Old 03-16-21, 07:34 AM
timo888 

Bikes: Birdy BD-1. Change MTB. Fuji XC. Marin Four Corners

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pinholecam
Congrats on the new bike
Its good that you shared more info on the bike setup too.
That will be good reference for anyone considering this bike in the future.

Interesting that you went for the Zee RD and shifter.
Any particular reason why you did not opt for 11sp SLX which would allow the 11-42t and 11-50t cassettes?
The Zee is a good reliable option though, I used it a lot on a previous bike and it works/shifts well.

A stem extension might be a solution for your stem/bar height adjustment needs
TRIWONDER MTB Bicycle Fork Stem Extender Handlebar Riser Bike Neck Extender Aluminium Alloy Stem Raiser (Black - Super Long Version): Amazon.sg: Sports, Fitness & Outdoors
There are other options out there, I just posted the one above as an example.

How do you find the braking?
I've heard many mentioned to me that they expected more from the cable disc brakes. (though its more wrt road levers + mechanical disc brakes)

No complaints about the brakes. Jam them on and the tires skid to a stop; or modulate the squeeze and come to a smooth stop. We don't ride in the rain so the fact that they're resin-pad only doesn't pose a problem.

I bought the Zee because it had a good reputation for keeping the chain from jumping off the cogs. The rails-to-trails paths we ride can be very jiggly in stretches. There are no steep grades, so no climbing gears are needed. The Zee does require quite a lot of thumb strength when shifting to easier gears, which my wife doesn't like, so it might get swapped out.

Thanks for the stem-riser link. My wife likes to sit upright, so a riser that lifted the bars just a tad might do nicely coupled with a short stem.

P.S. I should add that the Change MTB frame did come with a headset but I bought the Cane Creek tapered headset along with one of their 1-1/8 adapters in case I could not find a suitable tapered fork.
Old 03-16-21, 07:55 AM
bikewilltravel

Originally Posted by timo888
No complaints about the brakes. Jam them on and the tires skid to a stop; or modulate the squeeze and come to a smooth stop. We don't ride in the rain so the fact that they're resin-pad only doesn't pose a problem.

I bought the Zee because it had a good reputation for keeping the chain from jumping off the cogs. The rails-to-trails paths we ride can be very jiggly in stretches. There are no steep grades, so no climbing gears are needed. The Zee does require quite a lot of thumb strength when shifting to easier gears, which my wife doesn't like, so it might get swapped out.

Thanks for the stem-riser link. My wife likes to sit upright, so a riser that lifted the bars just a tad might do nicely coupled with a short stem.

P.S. I should add that the Change MTB frame did come with a headset but I bought the Cane Creek tapered headset along with one of their 1-1/8 adapters in case I could not find a suitable tapered fork.
The Cane Creek headset is a better headset. Lots of good 1 1/2 to 1 1/8 carbon forks on the market. Not sure you need a stem riser, all forks have a long steerer tube, just don't cut it until you know your fit. I would post a photo of my build but can't until I have posted 10 posts!
Likes For bikewilltravel:
Old 03-16-21, 08:34 AM
timo888 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikewilltravel
The Cane Creek headset is a better headset. Lots of good 1 1/2 to 1 1/8 carbon forks on the market. Not sure you need a stem riser, all forks have a long steerer tube, just don't cut it until you know your fit. I would post a photo of my build but can't until I have posted 10 posts!
This was my first-ever carbon component, so I was erring on the side of caution and did not cut the steerer tube any longer than necessary -- what I thought my wife would be willing to accept. The length, with the riser handlebars, puts her at "fitness" posture, though she prefers Mary Poppins posture.
Old 03-16-21, 09:29 AM
bikewilltravel

This was my first-ever carbon component, so I was erring on the side of caution and did not cut the steerer tube any longer than necessary -- what I thought my wife would be willing to accept. The length, with the riser handlebars, puts her at "fitness" posture, though she prefers Mary Poppins posture.
You can always put the spacers on top of the stem and bike with it awhile before you cut it. If you don't care about how it looks, you don't even have to cut the steerer tube.
Old 03-17-21, 05:37 AM
timo888 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikewilltravel
You can always put the spacers on top of the stem and bike with it awhile before you cut it. If you don't care about how it looks, you don't even have to cut the steerer tube.
I had no prior experience with carbon forks, and so followed the instructions that I found on the Whisky website (since Hylix did not have one) and they seemed to be saying otherwise, though maybe they meant "failure to maintain at least 7mm of steerer above the stem clamp may result in steerer failure":

https://whiskyparts.co/files/tech/24...ST_vF_RevB.pdf
  • The spacer stack between the headset and stem must not exceed 50mm (figure 4).
  • WARNING: Failure to properly install and adjust handlebar and stem can result in serious injury.
  • A steerer tube must extend 7–8 mm above the top of the stem clamp and have a 10 mm spacer installed between the stem and top cap (figure 5).
  • Failure to retain 7mm of steerer above the stem clamp may result in steerer failure.
  • Carefully measure and mark the amount of steerer tube to be removed. Remember that, when cut, the top of the steerer tube must be 2–3mm below the top of the headset spacer/stem assembly (figure 6)

There's lots of "ask the other manufacturer" disclaiming in the world of carbon forks, I learned. Cane Creek says to follow the carbon fork manufacturer's instructions. The carbon fork manufacturer says to follow the headset manufacturer's instructions.

Last edited by timo888; 03-17-21 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-17-21, 06:53 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
I had no prior experience with carbon forks, and so followed the instructions that I found on the Whisky website (since Hylix did not have one) and they seemed to be saying otherwise, though maybe they meant "failure to maintain at least 7mm of steerer above the stem clamp may result in steerer failure":

https://whiskyparts.co/files/tech/24...ST_vF_RevB.pdf
  • The spacer stack between the headset and stem must not exceed 50mm (figure 4).
  • WARNING: Failure to properly install and adjust handlebar and stem can result in serious injury.
  • A steerer tube must extend 7–8 mm above the top of the stem clamp and have a 10 mm spacer installed between the stem and top cap (figure 5).
  • Failure to retain 7mm of steerer above the stem clamp may result in steerer failure.
  • Carefully measure and mark the amount of steerer tube to be removed. Remember that, when cut, the top of the steerer tube must be 2–3mm below the top of the headset spacer/stem assembly (figure 6)

There's lots of "ask the other manufacturer" disclaiming in the world of carbon forks, I learned. Cane Creek says to follow the carbon fork manufacturer's instructions. The carbon fork manufacturer says to follow the headset manufacturer's instructions.

Yes, its common recommendation.
The 50mm max limit is to prevent shearing off the steerer due to the forces seen in a drop or very hard braking.
The 7mm above stem is to steer clear of the edge/end of the steerer where its weaker and prone to crack if subject to clamping or jerking forces in riding.

There is probably some margin here depending on user weight and type of riding done, but for manufacturers, they will need to stay on the safe side for recommendations.
Old 03-18-21, 05:23 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Now I am left wondering who the headset manufacturer recommends. The bearing manufacturer?
Old 03-19-21, 04:30 AM
bikewilltravel

Yes, its common recommendation.
The 50mm max limit is to prevent shearing off the steerer due to the forces seen in a drop or very hard braking.
The 7mm above stem is to steer clear of the edge/end of the steerer where its weaker and prone to crack if subject to clamping or jerking forces in riding.

There is probably some margin here depending on user weight and type of riding done, but for manufacturers, they will need to stay on the safe side for recommendations.
Good to know, thanks. I must have at least 150mm spacers on my steerer tube! I like adjusting the spacers (to adjust stem height) if necessary. Maybe I will go back to an aluminum fork for touring.
Old 05-04-21, 08:53 PM
ryancfp
GravelRyan

Bikes: Cannondale SSE , Changebike, Fatlab, Tyrell FX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flat bar gravel bike

Good day, I have recently build up a flatbar version of a gravel bike after I was inspired by the thread here.
Old 05-04-21, 09:04 PM
ryancfp
GravelRyan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Happy to share my build if anyone is interested
Old 05-05-21, 12:08 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by ryancfp
Happy to share my build if anyone is interested
We are always interested!
Old 05-05-21, 02:52 AM
ryancfp
GravelRyan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The frame is same as Pinholecam.
Fork : MRP Rock Solid Carbon
RD : Ultegra RX
Cassette : 11-34
Shifter: Shimano RS700 11 speed
Brake Lever: R780 Flat Bar Road Brake Lever
Caliper: TRP SPYRE SLC road bike
Crankset: Prowheel Ounce and Snail chainring 40t
wheelset: Hunt 650b Adventure Carbon with WTB resolute (42mm)
Saddle: Brooks B17
handlebar and stem : Uno Aluminum
handlebar grip : Brooks
Likes For ryancfp:
Old 05-06-21, 11:53 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by ryancfp
The frame is same as Pinholecam.
Fork : MRP Rock Solid Carbon
RD : Ultegra RX
Cassette : 11-34
Shifter: Shimano RS700 11 speed
Brake Lever: R780 Flat Bar Road Brake Lever
Caliper: TRP SPYRE SLC road bike
Crankset: Prowheel Ounce and Snail chainring 40t
wheelset: Hunt 650b Adventure Carbon with WTB resolute (42mm)
Saddle: Brooks B17
handlebar and stem : Uno Aluminum
handlebar grip : Brooks

Always good to add to the pool of information about this bike.

Do share photos when you can post them.
Old 05-07-21, 01:42 AM
ryancfp
GravelRyan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Always good to add to the pool of information about this bike.

Do share photos when you can post them.

Sure. Just waiting for my posts to reach 7. Haha
Old 08-18-22, 06:45 PM
pinholecam

Cycling in Penang (Aug2022)

Update for this bike again...

Been 2 years since my last trip (also Penang), but this trip was catered for riding and photography.

I managed to shave the box down to 89x70x43cm, and this lets the box go into even a small car via the rear passenger seats.
So no more looking for 'special' larger taxi/ ride hail that costs more and more stress looking for in a foreign country.
Moving it around is also simple.
Just a trolley with a disused tube as a bungie to secure it.

In theory, I can get the box to be a bit smaller if I take off the rear wheel, but it might not be worth the effort since the wheel will have to find a space to be placed in the box and its more messy/greasy once rear wheel removal is involved. Also, it would leave the RD in contact with the ground instead of being suspended by the wheel.

Some photos from the trip. Moving around by bicycle certainly provides a good way to get from photo site to photo site in a rather efficient way.

IMGP2877 by pinholecam02, on Flickr

IMGP2880 by pinholecam02, on Flickr

IMGP2951 by pinholecam02, on Flickr
Likes For pinholecam:
Old 08-18-22, 07:10 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 353 Posts
Nice. Penang is my favorite place in peninsular Malaysia and Georgetown one of my favorite cities in SEAsia. I've thought of flying there and cycling northwards toward Thailand. Any thoughts?

Are ChangeBike framesets available for sale in SG?
Old 08-18-22, 07:27 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Nice. Penang is my favorite place in peninsular Malaysia and Georgetown one of my favorite cities in SEAsia. I've thought of flying there and cycling northwards toward Thailand. Any thoughts?

Are ChangeBike framesets available for sale in SG?
I have heard of people doing the ride up to Thailand, but I don't have any information on it.
My guess would be that it should be rather typical of most riding in Malaysia with nice quiet roads off from the city, but potentially more messy ones across any town/city.

The Change Bike is available online.
Qoo10 Shop 「Change folding bike」

I'd say it this way for this bike.
I have thought about riding fast, riding light trails (due to necessity more than want during tours ), worth of bike, cost of bike, and this bike really offers quite a lot of all this for a very reasonable price with respect to other small wheeled folders which often will cost a lot more to get to one aspect of what I mentioned above (eg. speed; option to ride trails; costs -almost never that cheap )
Old 08-20-22, 06:49 PM
pinholecam

The versatility of the Change Bike with the wide tires and good 650b rollover means navigating into most trails leading to small local areas of attraction isn't too big a problem.
While previously on a 18' or 20' bike, I'd have to be extra careful about cycling through broken ground, its much less of an issue with the Change Bike.

I had planned for this small detour into the local waferfalls and on Google Maps, the street view simply disappears shortly after a small stretch of tarmac.
True enough, it was led into by a broken trail and being able to cycle in to get to the waterfalls instead of walking or ride+walk saved lots of time.

The end result.... well worth it for me.

IMGP3006-1 by pinholecam02, on Flickr
Likes For pinholecam:
Old 08-20-22, 07:14 PM
Ron Damon

That road looks like the tertiary roads here. Is that the central Penang spine?

I've got a 700c disc wheelset looking for a worthy frame. Too bad for me the Change bike is rim-brake and 650b.
Old 08-20-22, 07:28 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by Ron Damon
That road looks like the tertiary roads here. Is that the central Penang spine?

I've got a 700c disc wheelset looking for a worthy frame. Too bad for me the Change bike is rim-brake and 650b.

Yeah, I think there will be plenty of them in Bali.
Been there twice for photo trips, really beautify place.

The Change Bike has a few models.
Road - 700c (rim)
26" - 26" disc
650b - 650b disc

The catch is that the rear dropout is QR and not thru axel.
Old 08-20-22, 09:22 PM
Ron Damon

IMGP3006-1 by pinholecam02, on Flickr
I also do photography, but more on the Street and Urban People-scapes side of things...You may recognize this place.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 10-07-22, 07:42 AM
biosync

Bikes: Brompton M9R, Change df702

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, I think there will be plenty of them in Bali.
Been there twice for photo trips, really beautify place.

The Change Bike has a few models.
Road - 700c (rim)
26" - 26" disc
650b - 650b disc

The catch is that the rear dropout is QR and not thru axel.
FlatBikes their USA distributor just released a new build for the ChangeBike. They silently introduced a gravel version of the MTB folder that they have.

Configurations offered are:
1. Grx 1x11
2. Grx 2x11
3. Grx 2x11 w/ 105 RD

The GRX 2x11 uses 46/30T cranks with an 11/34t cassette. I think for my future build I'd go for the Sram 43/33T wide cranks instead and go full wireless.

Unfortunately, BikeForums doesn't allow me to post links since I don't meet the post count yet. If you want to find the bike, just google: "flatbike road warrior folding gravel bike"
Likes For biosync:
Old 10-07-22, 06:42 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
https://flatbike.com/product/folding_gravel_bike/

Bit of an ugly bugger if you ask me. Their foldaway stem doesn’t help. I much prefer Pinholecam’s build at the start of the thread anyway.
Likes For Reddleman:
Old 10-08-22, 03:57 AM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by biosync
FlatBikes their USA distributor just released a new build for the ChangeBike. They silently introduced a gravel version of the MTB folder that they have.

Configurations offered are:
1. Grx 1x11
2. Grx 2x11
3. Grx 2x11 w/ 105 RD

The GRX 2x11 uses 46/30T cranks with an 11/34t cassette. I think for my future build I'd go for the Sram 43/33T wide cranks instead and go full wireless.

Unfortunately, BikeForums doesn't allow me to post links since I don't meet the post count yet. If you want to find the bike, just google: "flatbike road warrior folding gravel bike"
Nice gearing options.
The 46/30t pushes out the chainrings such that the 46t does not hit the chainstay (good!).
I had to shim my BB to give clearance for a 44t chainring.
11-34t will give a more gradual change in gearing as well.

Good to see more ideas regarding gearing / builds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.