Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Why identical frames weigh more sometimes

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 03-21-23, 11:15 AM
geeteeiii

Bikes: HVZ Meteor 1979, HVZ Champion 1962, HVZ SS Moskva80 1981, Dürkopp 1936

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 69 Posts

Was modding a frame and found a suprise inside. Figured some here might get a laugh out of this.
Likes For geeteeiii:
Old 03-21-23, 01:26 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
Originally Posted by geeteeiii
Was modding a frame and found a suprise inside. Figured some here might get a laugh out of this.
OMG, can you tell what that material is? Lead solder maybe? That's effin' hilarious.

At a shop where I worked once, there was a sales guy who got a new tri-bike and someone there thought it would be funny to fill the frame with steel shot, from a shot-blasting cabinet. I don't remember what the victim did to deserve that but I gather it was well-deserved. It took him a long time to notice, like after a few races. I also heard of a solid steel mandrel being dropped into another guy's seat tube, full length from the BB shell up to the bottom of the seatpost. Even heavier than steel shot, which has air spaces in it.

Could this be another prank, or was it an attempt to stiffen the frame, or repair a crack? The mind boggles.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-21-23, 01:26 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
Strategic ballast makes you go faster
Old 03-21-23, 01:41 PM
geeteeiii

Bikes: HVZ Meteor 1979, HVZ Champion 1962, HVZ SS Moskva80 1981, Dürkopp 1936

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
OMG, can you tell what that material is? Lead solder maybe? That's effin' hilarious.

At a shop where I worked once, there was a sales guy who got a new tri-bike and someone there thought it would be funny to fill the frame with steel shot, from a shot-blasting cabinet. I don't remember what the victim did to deserve that but I gather it was well-deserved. It took him a long time to notice, like after a few races. I also heard of a solid steel mandrel being dropped into another guy's seat tube, full length from the BB shell up to the bottom of the seatpost. Even heavier than steel shot, which has air spaces in it.

Could this be another prank, or was it an attempt to stiffen the frame, or repair a crack? The mind boggles.

Mark B
Its bronze, how it got there, no idea, maybe when the dropouts were brazed on? It hasnt been repaired from what i can tell.
Likes For geeteeiii:
Old 03-21-23, 01:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
I suspect this frame was hearth brazed with a coil fed filler. Inattention, lack of skill, just because one can and a whole lot more filler was fed into the chainstay/shell joints. It would be interesting to see if the shell had a brass coating on most of it's interior surfaces too.

Or someone loaded the chainstays with a few too many preform filler rings. Andy
Old 03-22-23, 07:40 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
As someone who has now built the large bits of exactly one frame I can attest to lack of skill being at least one cause for much excess braze metal winding up in places where it does nothing but add weight.
Old 03-22-23, 07:55 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,888 Times in 1,646 Posts
Are you all talking about the shiny soldering material or the rust-colored plates that (especially in the left chainstay) look like tilted discs?
Old 04-21-23, 02:29 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Carbon-fiber frames are often ( slightly ) heavier or lighter than expected due to resin flow or drip-out,at least that was the case, anyway, 10 years ago.
For instance, BMC frame builders would badge/decal the lighter frames Roadmachine and the heavier ones Racemachine although the frames are outwardly identical.

Old 04-21-23, 05:11 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by kraftwerk
Carbon-fiber frames are often ( slightly ) heavier or lighter than expected due to resin flow or drip-out,at least that was the case, anyway, 10 years ago.
For instance, BMC frame builders would badge/decal the lighter frames Roadmachine and the heavier ones Racemachine although the frames are outwardly identical.
I love this pic of a BMC Team Machine that tore in half, in the perfect place to where the decal now says "Tear" Machine. I wonder if tears were shed, over that tear?

Also on the subject of unintentionally funny decals, there's this one named after the 5 points where it'll break if it actually gets ridden:

And this one, also named after the point where it will break:

Likes For bulgie:
Old 04-23-23, 03:48 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I love this pic of a BMC Team Machine that tore in half, in the perfect place to where the decal now says "Tear" Machine. I wonder if tears were shed, over that tear?

Also on the subject of unintentionally funny decals, there's this one named after the 5 points where it'll break if it actually gets ridden:

I suspect the tear machine was made of carbon with a manufacturing defect.The five points I wonder about the stability when riding....
Old 04-23-23, 08:22 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by georges1
I suspect the tear machine was made of carbon with a manufacturing defect.
It seems obvious to me, the BMC broke its toptube only after the DT pulled out of the HT lug. No defect needed in the CF; nearly any TT of any material would break if the DT is not longer connected. So the defect is clearly in the glue joint between the CF DT and the lug, which appears to be aluminum. Al and CF have different electric potential, so in the presence of an electrolytre you will get galvanic corrosion. Also different thermal expansion coefficients, so heating/cooling cycles might tend to break the joints apart if not done right. Just guessing at reasons the glue joint came apart, but I don't think there's any question that the glue joint is 100% to blame here. I mean, the CF in the TT could also have a defect, but that's moot once the DT pulls out.
Old 04-26-23, 10:47 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
That is just wild.
hearth brazing or not, considering the "waterline" of the bronze, I would have expected the bottom bracket shell to be filled solid too. The shell does not appear to me to have a closed off wall at the chainstay spigots.