Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hybrid bike with mountain gears

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-23, 08:29 PM
GetUpnGo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

My bike is perfect except for one thing: the top bar has gotten higher as I've aged!

I haven't looked at bikes in 10 years so I'm wondering if what I need is now being offered on the market. I had to have my last bike custom made. What I want is very similar to this one: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...?colorCode=red

, , , except that I want it to have mountain gears, specifically: front 22-32-44 and rear 11-34. Also, I want 700 x 32 tires.

Does such a bike exist, or will I have to have it custom made again? That's a hassle, because one change usually entails several other changes.
Old 03-23-23, 08:41 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by GetUpnGo
My bike is perfect except for one thing: the top bar has gotten higher as I've aged!

I haven't looked at bikes in 10 years so I'm wondering if what I need is now being offered on the market. I had to have my last bike custom made. What I want is very similar to this one: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...?colorCode=red

, , , except that I want it to have mountain gears, specifically: front 22-32-44 and rear 11-34. Also, I want 700 x 32 tires.

Does such a bike exist, or will I have to have it custom made again? That's a hassle, because one change usually entails several other changes.
22-32-44 cranksets are about to go the way of the Dodo, but there'll be some Alivio NOS around for a while yet, so I'd get it while you can, or just go for CUES 40-28 with an 11-42 cassette when it's available. Or go with SRAM? I'm not sure that they're all that keen on triples right now, though, but maybe? I really don't know SRAM.

And don't stress on a custom bike, just buy the one you want and replace the drivetrain on it. Sell the drivetrain parts as new-takeoff or do a deal with the shop to replace the drivetrain and keep the takeoffs for a discount on the new drivetrain.
Old 03-23-23, 08:43 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Also, if you're in the US, check Marin Bikes, they might have something up your alley:

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/type/fitness-transit
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 03-23-23, 08:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
What I would look at is something a bit more modern. A 1x or 2x can get you many of those same gears of the triple without the extra weight and with modern derailleurs you have more capacity and wider range cassettes and more gears for a smoother transition. If you have specific needs and wants you might consider going custom again you can get a bike for your body.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-24-23, 06:14 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Do you have a Trek dealer nearby? Might want to take a look at an FX2 Disc Stagger. If the gearing is not low enough, the rear cassette could be replaced with one with a larger cog. My '06 road bike is a triple, and I am a senior. But if I was buying a bike now, it would be a 2x. With larger cogs on cassettes, a 3x is not necessary. FX 2 Disc Stagger | Trek Bikes
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-24-23, 07:33 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
If climbing ability is the priority ( triple aside) SRAM makes their AXS “Mullet” 1x12 group with a 40 up front (38 available) and a 10-52 12 speed on the back. I have this set up on my Diverge along with 32mm tires and a second wheelset with 38mm gravel tires for dual use.
I have not found anything I can’t climb including local hills hitting 17-18% ( briefly)
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 03-24-23, 08:31 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts

agree with prev posts - a current 2x or 1x should provide the gearing you desire

hybrid or gravel bike

fairly recently did build up an old hybrid with specs similar to your list - basically an ‘off road’ hybrid with XT 9 spd drivetrain w / 22-32-44 crank and 11-32 cassette

would not recommend the build - nor would I recommend the bike - but this bike has been one of my favorites
Old 03-24-23, 08:44 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
No offense, but have you tried to incorporate flexibility exercises into your life? At my age I could easily have mobility issues (I feel them all the time) but I work hard on keeping my flexibility and my bike position is essentially unchanged for the last 50 years or so. I understand if there are specific medical issues, but absent that you might want to look into regaining your flexibility.
Old 03-24-23, 10:11 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
IMO, you'd have to blend drivetrain parts from select categories in order to achieve the gearing that you are after, if going with a readily available bicycle.

My riding preference doesn't fully meet road gearing, nor does it meet MTB gearing. I have found that, in order to obtain what I like, I had to option for the closest crank combo & piece together the rear cassette for cogs that suit my riding needs. I quickly found out that a 16T cog isn't easy to find with most cassettes & had to separate it from a cassette to slide it in-place of another & then use MTB low gearing with road high gearing. I haven't found a simple cost effect means in doing it another way when going with new parts.
Old 03-24-23, 11:59 AM
GetUpnGo

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Main features I'm looking for

To clarify, here are the most important features I'm looking for:
  1. Step-through frame or more slanted top tube
  2. Lowest gear 17" or lower. I live in a very hilly area. The middle gear should yield about 12 mph on the flat. I don't care about going fast on the downhill.
  3. Tires 700 x 32
  4. Upright, swept-back handlebar with some rise
  5. Twist-grip shifters
  6. Fairly wide (7.5") anatomical seat
I had to special order 2-6 on my current bike and it was very complicated. It involved also changing the rims, shifters, and derailleur cages. In other words everything but the frame. LBSs aren't enthusiastic about making so many changes. Here's my current bike:
Likes For GetUpnGo:
Old 03-24-23, 10:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

2. Lowest gear 17" or lower. I live in a very hilly area. The middle gear should yield about 12 mph on the flat. I don't care about going fast on the downhill.
  3. Tires 700 x 32
  5. Twist-grip shifters
I had to special order 2-6 on my current bike and it was very complicated. It involved also changing the rims, shifters, and derailleur cages. In other words everything but the frame. LBSs aren't enthusiastic about making so many changes. Here's my current bike:
Again you might consider a more modern bike, grip shift is old technology that is harder to find in any sort of quality these days beyond some IGH stuff and maybe higher end SRAM mountain bike stuff (who invented the grip shift). A good trigger shifter is generally easier especially the more modern stuff or if you have issues shifting try some electronic shifting, it will change your world for the better.

In terms of saddle do you have a saddle you have tried and know you like? If not don't worry about it a saddle is easy to change but important to test on some long rides and make sure things are properly adjusted.

Also wider tires are better. Any particular reason for skinnier tires? You can swap out to narrower tires if your bike comes with something wider but I wouldn't recommend it personally.
Old 03-25-23, 07:21 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
  3. Tires 700 x 32
  5. Twist-grip shifters
Can I ask you what about your current bike don't you like?
Old 03-25-23, 12:55 PM
GetUpnGo

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Can I ask you what about your current bike don't you like?
The frame is slightly too big for me. I was between two sizes and had to go with the larger size because the smaller frame was much too small. I have very little standover clearance. After 10 years I'm tired of the acrobatics of mounting and dismounting, complicated by a prosthetic hip (the one thing you're not allowed to do with a prosthetic hip is extend your leg behind you with your foot turned outward, as in lifting the leg over a bike seat, as it can dislocate the joint). I'm aware of all the alternative ways of mounting and dismounting; I'm just tired of it. I'm thinking a step-through or at least a lower/more slanted top tube would be good. I think I would do more biking with a more suitable frame.
Old 03-25-23, 01:00 PM
GetUpnGo

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
A good trigger shifter is generally easier.
My bike came with trigger shifters. I had them switched. I much prefer twist-grip shifters.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Any particular reason for skinnier tires?
Yes. I like them.
Old 03-25-23, 01:08 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

My bike came with trigger shifters. I had them switched. I much prefer twist-grip shifters.
Personally, I agree with you. I love the SRAM twist grip shifters on my mountain bikes. Unfortunately, these are going the way of triple cranksets and the only ones you find these days are on budget bikes.
Old 03-25-23, 01:58 PM
GetUpnGo

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Personally, I agree with you. I love the SRAM twist grip shifters on my mountain bikes. Unfortunately, these are going the way of triple cranksets and the only ones you find these days are on budget bikes.
SRAM is what I have now. What has replaced twist grips? Can you post a link?

I don't care so much about how many cranks there are. I care about having the right range, between 17" and 90", with the middle gear for easy pedaling on the flat at 10-12 mph. If that can be achieved with one or two cranks, I'm all for it. I almost never use my largest crank (44T), so I guess 22T and 32T in front would do the job, come to think of it.

In the past I found that no hybrid bike on the market had a low enough gear for hills. Hence my switch to mountain gears. It seems like if manufacturers would make hybrid bikes with a 17"-90" range, that would satisfy just about everyone. If a hill is steeper than a 17" gear can handle, I get off and walk because it's safer than toppling over at very low speed.
Old 03-25-23, 02:19 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
The frame is slightly too big for me. I was between two sizes and had to go with the larger size because the smaller frame was much too small. I have very little standover clearance. After 10 years I'm tired of the acrobatics of mounting and dismounting, complicated by a prosthetic hip (the one thing you're not allowed to do with a prosthetic hip is extend your leg behind you with your foot turned outward, as in lifting the leg over a bike seat, as it can dislocate the joint). I'm aware of all the alternative ways of mounting and dismounting; I'm just tired of it. I'm thinking a step-through or at least a lower/more slanted top tube would be good. I think I would do more biking with a more suitable frame.
You can get a frame like this

https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/buena-vista

and transfer the components from your existing bike to it.

Likes For tyrion:
Old 03-25-23, 02:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Yes. I like them.
Depending on the trigger shifters it might have been worth it some of them aren't so great but a lot of new ones are better. However depending on budget you could probably do a SRAM GX Eagle grip shifter and rear derailleur giving you ability to run a 10-52 cassette and that would give you plenty of range with a single chainring. If you go super low on the budget you will end up with some pretty bad stuff as we have said as GripShift isn't common anymore SRAM still supports it on the sort of bottom end and still on the newer 11-12 speed groups but it isn't common anymore.

In terms of tires, have you tried similar (or the same) tires in a wider size? You add in good comfort and stability and gain minimal weight and can be a little faster or aerodynamic up to a point (not that those two things matter to you and most people).

I think tyrion had a good point about looking at the Soma Buena Vista, you can get it with Discs and have a very modern bike or swap components over if they are in decent shape/
Old 03-25-23, 04:12 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

SRAM is what I have now. What has replaced twist grips? Can you post a link?
This is what SRAM makes now:

https://www.sram.com/en/sram/mountai...levancy&page=1

These are either very high end or the cheapo ones. Keep in mind you will need to get the correct ones for the drivetrain you have as shift ratios are different. SRAM makes some grip shifters for Shimano drive trains which have a different shift ratio.

I don't care so much about how many cranks there are. I care about having the right range, between 17" and 90", with the middle gear for easy pedaling on the flat at 10-12 mph. If that can be achieved with one or two cranks, I'm all for it. I almost never use my largest crank (44T), so I guess 22T and 32T in front would do the job, come to think of it.
Hmmm. Well I guess you could swap out a mountain bike double crankset for the double that comes on the hybrid and get some better low end gearing that way.

In the past I found that no hybrid bike on the market had a low enough gear for hills. Hence my switch to mountain gears.
Hybrids are designed to have gearing in between road and mountain gearing. Unfortunately, that's just the way they are designed.

​​​​​​​
Old 03-25-23, 04:54 PM
GetUpnGo

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I think my original question has been answered: no, no one knows of a hybrid with an upright handlebar and low gears for steep hills. That's really too bad. I guess I'm stuck with my current bike. Thank you to everyone for your ideas.
Old 03-25-23, 05:04 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

I think my original question has been answered: no, no one knows of a hybrid with an upright handlebar and low gears for steep hills. That's really too bad. I guess I'm stuck with my current bike. Thank you to everyone for your ideas.
Unfortunately, I think you would have to go custom to get what you need.
Old 03-25-23, 06:26 PM
GetUpnGo

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Unfortunately, I think you would have to go custom to get what you need.
I've done that three times in the past. The first time my rear rim fell apart in the middle of a 1,000-mile European tour (LBS error---wrong rim for the weight of touring baggage, which was only 35 lbs plus me 135 lbs.). The second and third times the LBS gave me firm quotes and then made several errors involving the compatibility of components that resulted in upgrades and the disgruntled shop owner incurring a financial loss on the bikes. This is why I was hoping to avoid a custom bike this time around. I bet if I went to Europe I would find the bike I want in a bike shop.
Old 03-25-23, 09:07 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Having a bike shop modify a bike is not really custom. Consider a true custom builder like Curtlo cycles, or something similar where you live.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 03-25-23, 09:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Oh well, better luck next time!
Old 03-26-23, 09:53 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
Can I take a stab at the low gearing part?

mountain drive - schlumpfdrive - ultraflat Planetary Gear for Bikes

There is a gearing option called the Schlumpf Mountain Drive. Essentially a planetary gear that reduces the current gear by a factor of 2.5. Engaged by clicking a button in the middle of your crankset with your heel.

Now of course this ain't cheap, but if you want super-low gearing on your current or next bike, it might get you there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.