Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon Airporter Case, converting to a rucksack

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 04-28-23, 04:43 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 65 Posts

Anyone done this? Can you recommend a strap/backpack system to get the case to convert into a backpack?

It would be handy to be able to cycle to the airport then quickly pack the bike there, and fly.

thanks all
Old 04-29-23, 09:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I know nothing about your Dahon case, but I can say that I have carried my S&S coupled bike in the S&S Backpack Case on trips before. And one trip, I carried my folding bike in the S&S case.
Backpack bike case for a folding travel bicycle

The shoulder straps are in a side pocket for storage. At the amazon listing, there are two photos. One with straps out, one with straps stowed in a pocket.
https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Trav.../dp/B001PTDQPQ

The case has four side pieces that are held to each other by velcro straps in the corners. When you remove those corner straps, the four side pieces can be stacked together to collapse the case. I put a piece of Coroplast in the top and bottom of the case to add more structure to it, white in the photos.

That said, my case would be a bit large for me to want to wear it or carry it on a bike to the airport, even when folded up. If I did not include the Corroplast sheets, the four side pieces are still about 25cm X ~70cm and are stiff so they can not be folded. The rest of the case is fabric and can be folded if it is empty.

The first layer in the case:

The rest of the bike in the case:

Backpack straps stowed in a pocket to check as luggage.

The farthest that I have carried this case with a bike in it was about a half km, it was better than having to carry it by hand but it is not the most comfortable backpack to carry.

Good luck with your project.
Old 07-13-23, 03:50 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

I managed to do it with a couple of luggage straps and two unused shoulder strap pads from panniers. It works perfectly.

Old 07-13-23, 03:52 AM
Barchettaman

You just run the straps through the top handle of the suitcase to stop them wandering outboard, I also ran a short strap on the bottom of the case to keep them in place.

My genius knows no limits etc etc.
Likes For Barchettaman:
Old 07-16-23, 03:24 PM
wesgreen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
I've done something similar with a Delsey suitcase.