Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used glue to joint steel lugged frames?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Has anyone used glue to joint steel lugged frames?

Old 05-25-23, 12:45 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Weren't those designed with threading so that the tubes screwed into the sockets as well as being glued? Or am I thinking of a different bike?
That would be ALAN- the tubing and the lugs are threaded and the tubing screws into the lugs. TVT & Look just have plain glue joints if I understand correctly.
Old 05-25-23, 12:51 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

A number of other parts have to go in such as brake bridges, and cable stops. Some things like cable guides can be clamp on, perhaps from 1950's and 1960's vintage bikes.

You'll likely end up with a issue that parts are designed to be brazed, silver soldered, or welded, but may not have enough surface area for other adhesives.
You bring up a good point. Some components will still have to be brazed on. But typically these don't require as much precision. So even a sloppy welder without professional fixtures can still braze these things on.
The big problem with the frame itself is that the alignment has to be spot on. I've never done brazing, but I've done some welding, and the act of welding throws enough heat into the material that everything is distorted to heck. Also, the weld itself will shrink back as it cools, ruining whatever alignment you thought you had.
Old 05-25-23, 01:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10394 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
because it does not work and stay bonded or people would be using it. you know people have tried

glue bonds need a certain about of surface area, and the amount with a lug is pretty small...extending the lug would impact how a frame works in terms of stiffness

beyond that lugs and tubes are not the precise super accurate fit a glue bond needs to be strong, while the brass or silver used in brazing can fill the slightly less than super perfect fit

you would get a better technical set of replies if this were in frame builder section
Look at the lugs on something the Alan aluminum frames - MUCH more surface area than in the usual steel lugs.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-25-23, 01:57 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
I definitely see where you are coming from. And to a certain degree, industry has followed, just not the bike industry.

Seems like most new plumbing is PVC. Glue it up, no more heating and soldering.

Even a lot of copper is now crimped with a new type of joint.

If you want to get into frame building without the heat, seems like bamboo is the way to go. Especially from a diy in the garage type of situation.
Old 05-25-23, 02:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Seems like most new plumbing is PVC. Glue it up, no more heating and soldering.

Even a lot of copper is now crimped with a new type of joint.
Did you miss a couple of decades? I thought PEX was the big thing in plumbing.

Soldering copper usually isn't much of a problem, and the tools can be cheap.

Galvanized can be a bit more of a pain to work with, and be careful with the copper to galvanized joint.
Old 05-25-23, 03:01 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
I bet the reason isn’t that its particularly difficult, just more difficult that brazing and welding. The reason those other frames are glued is because brazing and welding those materials isn’t trivial.

i want to push back on your assumption that a layperson would be more equiped to glue a frame together than weld it. The epoxy might need mechanical mixing, probably needs degassing or centrifuging etc. it would be an operation, not arts and crafts with elmers glue.

Someone selling a DIY kit has to be sure they won’t end up killing someone too right. I glued together an aluminum frame that cracked on me and it didn’t work at all lol, but that’s not really related.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 05-25-23 at 03:10 PM.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-25-23, 04:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The modern cars are unibody, and the glued parts may well be structural.
Unibody frames are spot welded together with thousands of spot welds and not glued.
Old 05-25-23, 04:29 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Did you miss a couple of decades? I thought PEX was the big thing in plumbing.

Soldering copper usually isn't much of a problem, and the tools can be cheap.

Galvanized can be a bit more of a pain to work with, and be careful with the copper to galvanized joint.
Weird flex bro

I’m not a plumber. Just saying what I’ve seen around. Doesn’t really change my point though.
Old 05-25-23, 05:13 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,671 Posts
The OP was probably asking whether glue could be used in place of brazing material to build a steel frame by the use of conventional steel lugs and frame tubes, i.e., lugs and tubes that were designed to be brazed together. Short answer is no---not using off-the-shelf tubes and lugs. Too little surface area for a strong bond, among other roadblocks.

But, as noted earlier in the thread, Raleigh used their Technium process to build at least a few frames with Reynolds 753 tubes inserted over and glued to fairly long internal steel "lugs." So it can be done.

Bit of Technium trivia, told to me by our shop's Raleigh sales rep: Raleigh USA built their factory in Kent, Washington, near the Boeing factory, expressly to make it easy to recruit Boeing aerospace engineers, who were, of course, fully up to date on design considerations for glued-together, highly stressed structures.

The Raleigh dealership where I worked sold a lot of Technium bikes. I don't remember ever seeing a Technium bike with a failure of a glued joint, though it's possible, maybe through inadvertent contamination during the joining process.

By the way, I'd love to know the real story of why Huffy eventually decided to pull out of the business of selling Raleigh USA bikes to bike shops. Could be that the volatility of that market and the head start of their main competitors in that market turned out to make that market segment be too much trouble to bother with, Selling exactly the same lowest-of-low-end Huffy bikes to department stores, year after year after year, must have seemed a much more reliable business---at least, until they began to be undercut by even cheaper bikes from Taiwan and mainland China.

Last edited by Trakhak; 05-26-23 at 04:51 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-25-23, 05:51 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Weren't those designed with threading so that the tubes screwed into the sockets as well as being glued? Or am I thinking of a different bike?
The ALAN is the most famous "screwed and glued" frame... i have one... it's fine... some came loose early on in life... the rumor is "if it made it this far, it will be fine!" ... no clunky lugs on mine... yet.
Old 05-25-23, 06:45 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
of course some one has tried it... human nature

the fact that you don't see this type of building option means
1) is it so good that the company has been in stealth mode for 20 or 30 years to absolutely perfect it
2) the person who tried it received a Darwin Award after a highspeed downhill first ride test
3) It sort of works but ROI and benefit is not there compared to brazing
4) it works so poorly that there is no reason to spend time and money on it

one thing that could change this in the future might be printed lugs that can be made for greater surface area and precise fit
Or carbon has made this redundant. Development of steel technology within cycling is pretty well at a dead end and has been replaced by Carbon which by all indications still has a way to go. Take a Specialized Aethos a mass production bicycle frame under 600 grams and reliable as any other.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 05-25-23, 10:23 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
A brazed joint can be stronger than a glued joint, and brazing technology is known, proven, reliable, and inexpensive. What would be the advantage of a glued steel frame? IIRC, some of the Raleigh USA "Technium" frames used glued Reynolds 753 tubes to get around Reynolds' 753 brazing certification requirement.
I owned a Raleigh Technium once, bought used; it had aluminum tubes glued into steel lugs--or maybe not glued; a quick search claims they were thermally bonded. Either way, it was a sweet ride.
Old 05-25-23, 10:30 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The advantage would be that it can be done by somebody without brazing equipment. ie. me.

snip
All the equipment you need is some flux, some appropriate brazing rod, and a common propane torch. If you want to try it, find some scrap parts and go look for instructional videos on youtube. It isn't hard.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 05-25-23, 10:44 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
...So how come nobody has tried to just glue steel tubing into the usual steel lugs, instead of brazing them together? This would allow practically anyone to build frames.
Easy Answer: Cause it is so easy to Braze or Silver Solder steel to steel frames. And in many ways its forgiving too as you can un-brase and adjust the frame if needed.

As far as using adhesive?

Hey Man... It's just an engineering problem. And most likely solved with off the shelf adhesives too...
Old 05-26-23, 06:34 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
All the equipment you need is some flux, some appropriate brazing rod, and a common propane torch.
Hmm. Maybe MAPP gas rather than propane. From Lugged Bicycle Frame Construction, A Manual by Marc-Andre Chimonas:

The 3D printing community has 'discovered' that if you take a design in steel or aluminum or even zinc and reproduce it directly in printed plastic, it often fails, but, and it's a big but, if you consider the function of the part and redesign considering the material properties of 3D printed plastic, it can work just fine. As several others have pointed out upthread, same thing applies in this inquiry: redesign the lug/tube interface for adhesive bonding.
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-26-23, 08:23 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Or carbon has made this redundant. Development of steel technology within cycling is pretty well at a dead end and has been replaced by Carbon which by all indications still has a way to go. Take a Specialized Aethos a mass production bicycle frame under 600 grams and reliable as any other.
Carbon is here to stay. Even on our best steel examples, like a 5.5kg Rodriguez, it’s pretty much all carbon but the frame. It’s an amazing material. I ride steel frames, other than my vintage stuff, there’s lots of carbon fiber parts.

I’d love to see a better system in place for recycling it and fiberglass. Between the auto industry, aviation, wind power, and bikes, it sure would be nice to figure out something to do with those broken parts. That’s my only complaint with carbon fiber.

Then there’s this older article

https://bikerumor.com/thyssenkrupp-s...tweight-steel/

Its been 4 years. I haven’t heard anything else. Meanwhile carbon is getting more cost effective. Still holding my breath for a monocoque stamped steel aero road frame. Material properties being what they are, it’s already lost to carbon.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 05-26-23, 09:31 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
....Development of steel technology within cycling is pretty well at a dead end
It's not a dead end. It's called "fully mature and time-tested."
Old 05-26-23, 09:45 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Exactly. It's like saying wood is a dead-end for guitar production.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-26-23, 11:06 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
As was the rotary dial telephone mounted in the kitchen.
Old 05-26-23, 12:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,685 Times in 2,509 Posts
Once you start gluing, I would think moving on to titanium or carbon tubes would be a natural next step. And you can do that. But the problem is nobody is going to sell you the lugs if you aren't a framebuilder. 3d printed lugs are still pretty expensive.
Old 05-26-23, 01:35 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
A brazed joint can be stronger than a glued joint, and brazing technology is known, proven, reliable, and inexpensive. What would be the advantage of a glued steel frame? IIRC, some of the Raleigh USA "Technium" frames used glued Reynolds 753 tubes to get around Reynolds' 753 brazing certification requirement.
I had three Technium frames come unglued on my work bikes. And another that snapped at the down tube (none were involved in crashes prior to the failures, the DT snapping DID cause a hellofa crash). Since then, the only thing I want "glued" is a tube patch.

Last edited by nomadmax; 05-26-23 at 01:44 PM.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 05-26-23, 06:25 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Originally Posted by tcs
...The 3D printing community has 'discovered' that if you take a design in steel or aluminum or even zinc and reproduce it directly in printed plastic, it often fails, but, and it's a big but, if you consider the function of the part and redesign considering the material properties of 3D printed plastic, it can work just fine.
Yep... And that too is just an engineering problem. I hope soon that those special mediums and carbon/hydrocarbon materials that you could print with finally get released to the public. Like the Nano-Carbon composite filament that prints at 200°C and then continues to harden over the next 48 hours to become as hard as steel and lighter then aluinum.

So why is it an engineering problem and not a chemist or functional materials problem?

Cause the engineer never forgets... Its the ride... Its all about the ride... Ha

Last edited by zandoval; 05-26-23 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-26-23, 06:29 PM
zandoval 

Originally Posted by nomadmax
I had three Technium frames come unglued on my work bikes. And another that snapped at the down tube...

Yikes... Bat Man!

Old 05-26-23, 08:45 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval

Yikes... Bat Man!

The top tube snapped a nano second after the down tube went. To say I'm not a fan of only xxx of them have failed is an understatement. For me, it was 100%.
Old 05-26-23, 10:10 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Originally Posted by tcs
Hmm. Maybe MAPP gas rather than propane. From Lugged Bicycle Frame Construction, A Manual by Marc-Andre Chimonas:

snip
Sure, and I forgot about that, but my torch (Ace Hardware brand, IIRC) burns either one, and I have it on a MAPP cylinder now. Ultimately, both fuels do the job equally well; the MAPP will just save you a little time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.