Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

First Official Folding Bike Thread!! :) Name Your Bike!

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

First Official Folding Bike Thread!! :) Name Your Bike!

Old 11-26-04, 11:11 AM
pinerider
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roasteroo
It is amazing what some people throw out.
Here's a pic of my recently acquired via the LFS (landfill site) 1971 Raleigh Twenty folder. It's all there, and most of it seems to work ok. Still cleaning it up to see what it needs.
Old 11-26-04, 11:29 AM
eff-J
Man About Town

Bikes: '04 Dahon Speed P8; '01(?) Specialized Crossroads A1 Sport; '83 Peugeot P6 frankensteined refurb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roasteroo
Pretty funny, what i ment was when they put it on at the factory, it was hand applied.
Heh, heh. Ya gotta love the English language.

Anyway, in that case, there happens to be a
thread about serial numbers over in the Dahon forums right now. You might be able to ascertain the year and month of manufacture if you were interested.

[This post edited to add the following...]

Duh. I see that you've posted in that thread too. Well, maybe the link will be of use to other BikeForumites.
Old 12-04-04, 11:58 AM
bloomanchoo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just recently got my Dahon Speed TR... and I hae to say I dig it.

https://www.dahon.com/speedtr.htm
Old 12-04-04, 11:35 PM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got a Dahon Matrix. Review forthcoming.
Old 12-07-04, 02:23 PM
cyclinrunt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered my first folder, a Pocket Rocket! It's gestating right now, should be here by Christmas!
Old 12-10-04, 10:52 AM
ChrisM

Bikes: Road, FS mtn, SS mtn, cyclocross, fixie, folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too have a Raleigh Twenty that I'm in the process of tricking out. I hope to set it up with front and rear derailleurs to get 16 speeds. I'll get pictures out once it's a little bit further along...
Old 12-10-04, 09:09 PM
cheg

Bikes: 2020 Thompson Randonneur, 2008 Davidson Custom Titanium, 2012 Custom Seven Steel Tandem, 1981 Shogun Touring Bike, 1974 Raleigh International

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Look at this, if you haven't seen it already:

https://home.comcast.net/~cheg01/r20.html

Also these pics:
https://home.comcast.net/~cheg01/20_light_2.jpg
https://home.comcast.net/~cheg01/20_light_3.jpg
https://home.comcast.net/~cheg01/20_light_4.jpg

I think you will enjoy building and riding the 20.
Old 12-11-04, 02:26 PM
ChrisM

Bikes: Road, FS mtn, SS mtn, cyclocross, fixie, folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spent a lot of time checking out your site before I even bought my Twenty. Your site and Sheldon's are what inspired me to tackle this. I really appreciate the packing instructions; it's great to know what size case it will fit in. How thick/strong is the plastic of the case?
Old 12-11-04, 03:15 PM
cheg

Bikes: 2020 Thompson Randonneur, 2008 Davidson Custom Titanium, 2012 Custom Seven Steel Tandem, 1981 Shogun Touring Bike, 1974 Raleigh International

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisM
I spent a lot of time checking out your site before I even bought my Twenty. Your site and Sheldon's are what inspired me to tackle this. I really appreciate the packing instructions; it's great to know what size case it will fit in. How thick/strong is the plastic of the case?
The middle of the side panel is pretty flexible. That's why I put the galvanized pipe brace in there. You can walk on it now without hurting anything. You could probably do the same thing with a wood dowel or plastic pipe to save swome weight. With the 3x7 wheel, rack, pannier, tools, spares, etc., it was a few pounds over the 50# stated limit for airline carriage without extra charge. That was one reason I got the straight 7 speed rear wheel. I hear that the weight limit is not always enforced, though, and the weigh limit is higher with some airlines if you are a frequent flier.
Old 12-30-04, 10:53 PM
jcsilva

Bikes: Picnicas (2), English Raleighs (2), Ryan & EZ rider recumbents, Fuji Mt. Bike, Etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi! Regarding Burnarda88's question about Bridgestone Picnicas. I currently own two of them. One is a bronze colored belt-drive model and the other is a red and white chain-drive model (fully enclosed). From what I know they were made in Japan and marketed as "second cars." I estimate they are each at least 35 years old or so. On the internet I found a bronze colored belt-drive model in a museum in Japan and a red an white one (reverse color scheme from mine) in a museum in Australia. From what I understand they are very rare and in high demand. Of all the bikes I own, they are the ones that inevitably attract the most attention. Cheers!

Last edited by jcsilva; 12-30-04 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spelling & accuracy correction
Old 01-12-05, 11:09 AM
Samb76

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A quick look at the bikes I used to own. My favorite is the brompton
Old 02-13-05, 06:53 PM
wpflem
www.getafolder.com

Bikes: Brompton T6, Trek 3700 Moutain Bike, Dahon Boardwalk 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same here, it's been hard to know what to take from the shop for my own, but I finally settled for the Brompton T6. I especially like the utilitarian generator lights. Of all the bikes, I've ever owned, and I've had many, the Brompton is now my all time favorite.

https://www.sfbikes.com or https://www.getafolder.com/
Old 02-13-05, 07:17 PM
cyclinrunt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got a Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro petite. I'm still working the kinks out, getting to know it, but it is pretty amazing!
Old 02-13-05, 08:00 PM
Gary Mc

Bikes: Greenspeed GTO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After riding recumbents for the last few years, I decided on trying a folder, a Dahon Speed 8 like many of those above. I had mine equiped with a 38 tooth chain ring as usually have to climb when I ride. I just ordered a brooks saddle trying to add to the long range comfort level. It is still an experiment, but seems to be going well.

Regards,

Gary
Greenspeed GTO
Dahon Speed 8
Old 02-19-05, 10:32 AM
14R 
Bromptonaut

Bikes: 1994 Diamond Back Racing Prevail ti; Miyata 914, Miyata 1000, 2017 Van Nicholas Chinook

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After several years riding and competing adventure races with a Specialized Stompjumper I decided to get a folder, just to adapt to my new lifestyle and be prepared for Academics (I am applying to grad school).

Ended up with a Giant Halfway RS. Click on the link to take a look.

It only has 56miles with me, but so far I am very happy with it. Doesn't have a name yet though.

Rafael Guerra
Old 02-19-05, 01:56 PM
allgoo19
Deported by koffee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys are guilty of making me want one.
Old 02-20-05, 03:38 PM
Burnarda88

Bikes: Raleighs, Folders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JCSILVA... Thanks for the info on my '77 Bridgestone Picnica. We (the bike and I) recently took a trip to Las Vegas. The Picnica fits perfectly in an airline regulation size suitcase. According to Bridgestone's Japanese website, they still manufacture a belt drive, 16" wheel Picnica but they don't seem to make it across the pond. Pity. As for mine, the quality is incredible... stainless steel rims, aluminum fenders, dia-comp brakes, etc. If only it had Sturmey-Archer gears vs. Shimano. Once again, if anyone has one like it, I'd love to hear from you.
Old 02-20-05, 03:59 PM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burnarda88
JCSILVA... Thanks for the info on my '77 Bridgestone Picnica. We (the bike and I) recently took a trip to Las Vegas. The Picnica fits perfectly in an airline regulation size suitcase. According to Bridgestone's Japanese website, they still manufacture a belt drive, 16" wheel Picnica but they don't seem to make it across the pond. Pity. As for mine, the quality is incredible... stainless steel rims, aluminum fenders, dia-comp brakes, etc. If only it had Sturmey-Archer gears vs. Shimano. Once again, if anyone has one like it, I'd love to hear from you.
Very nice.
Old 02-27-05, 06:54 PM
Leo C. Driscoll

Bikes: Trek 7300 FSX, Jamis Exile, Jamis Coda Sport, Raleigh Technium, Dahon Vitesse, Dahon Matrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Koffee, how about some 2005 Xfolders for your next trip to die Schweiz?

"Would you like cream with that?". "No, Baileys will be fine."

https://www.winterxbike.com/photo_gall/photos.htm

Last edited by Leo C. Driscoll; 02-27-05 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-27-05, 08:45 PM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
next year: long days bike (commute both ways): stick with my Jamis Coda; short days bike (Metro home) with ice: Dahon Matrix with Nokian tires; short days bike with no ice: something smaller than the Matrix to ease Metro rides home. This likely means Speed 8 or equivalent.
Old 02-27-05, 11:00 PM
Leo C. Driscoll

Bikes: Trek 7300 FSX, Jamis Exile, Jamis Coda Sport, Raleigh Technium, Dahon Vitesse, Dahon Matrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi velogirl: "...short days bike (Metro home) with ice: Dahon Matrix with Nokian tires"...
Smart planning.

I thought I could wait until December 2005 to get Nokian Hakkapelitta TR1110 tires to replace the Tioga Bloodhounds on my commuting bike, a Marin Sausalito. Bad idea.

The Bloodhounds had kept me upright through a lot of snow and ice this winter. But last week my luck ran out. I crashed on black ice (which was hidden by slush).

So now I'm using RICE to get my left knee ready to test the Matrix on trails around Boulder, CO next week (Spring Break). If the trails are mud mixed with slush and ice, I'll test the Hutchison Pythons on roads. If the roads on the front range are icy, I'll shorten the altitude-adjustment time, stuff the Matrix back into its Dahon Double Play bag and take my mountaineering O2 mask and Telemark skis to A-Basin ;-)

Last edited by Leo C. Driscoll; 02-27-05 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-03-05, 07:15 PM
BentandFolded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Montague CX plus I've also ordered a 2005 Dahon Helios SL.
The Montague's a nice sturdy bike and is fun on rough stuff but it's a bit heavy and slow (fat tires) and doesn't fold too compactly for use on transit. The Dahon will be for going faster, road only, and for taking on transit (our local light rail in San Jose, CA). Both fit nicely in the trunk.
Old 03-03-05, 07:49 PM
james Haury

Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burnarda 88 what is the gearing on those colorful little bikes in the second photo ( I.E gear inches) also how many psi are the tires rated to it should say on the sidewall are the tires 14 inch by 1.75 or 14 inch by 1& 3/8. Sorry i saw a 14 inch wheel variant on the yellow jersey ltd website. Pls ignore this.
Old 03-06-05, 03:50 AM
Moe£
Presto Lite rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my bike, a Dahon Presto Lite adjusted for weekend touring.

Modifications/upgrades as seen on the picture;
-Big Apple tyres
-Telescopic Piccolo seatpost
-Selle Italia Leather saddle
-SKS Mudmax mudguards
-Larger chainwheel (52T)
-SPD pedals
-Minoura PET bottle cage
-Cane Creek bar ends
-Carradice SQR tour bag
-Altura Skye handle bar bag (Klick-fix)
-LED lights front and rear on the bags
-Cable lock on handle post
-Bullit valve caps..

I've only put on the Big Apples the other day, off in an hour or two to try them out on wintery roads in Stockholm, Sweden.

TC, Moe£
Old 03-06-05, 02:27 PM
khergert
loaded, ready and peddlin

Bikes: Trek 520, Cannondale H600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Moe, I like what you did to your bike. I'm deciding between a Presta Lite and a Helixp8. Your little bike will be smaller to carry, yet I'm leaning towards a model with QR. And even Dahon Tech folks say pulling the back wheel can be tricky and time consuming. Any thoughts, post here to the group or I should have email allowed to me. I have a Trek 520 and Cannondale H600 too. Kevin, LA, CA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.