Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

The MEZZO Thread

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

The MEZZO Thread

Old 04-13-12, 03:59 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Omiak

One thing I like about the Mezzo that hasn't been mentioned is that I was able to get a little more reach out of the bike by rolling the handlebar forward. Instead of acting like a riser it acts like a longer stem. This is nice given I'm bordering on too tall for the whole "one size fits all" thing.

I'd also say that the best upgrade I've added is a set of small ergon bar ends. I think the manual might technically say not to do this (covering themselves against lawsuit?) but I've had no problems and they're extremely helpful when climbing out of the saddle.
I have run bull bars on my Mezzo for 3 years no problems.
Old 04-23-12, 01:59 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Looking at and riding a new D10 tonight and possibly purchase another D9 or I4 later. Can any of you give me an idea on how much these are going for retail? I see about $1400 for the D10, $900 for the D9, and $1,000 for the I4 (might have the D9 and I4 reversed).
Old 04-23-12, 02:36 PM
Dynocoaster 

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
https://bicyclehabitat.com/product-li...g-bikes-pg754/
Old 04-23-12, 07:29 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you guys had to do it all over again would you opt for the I4, the D9, or the D10? I am purchasing 5 bikes for me and my family and have all available for a good price. I worry a little about the I4 being discontinued, but I like the IGH idea (not sure exactly why). The D9 is a great price and the D10 even better, but I don't care for black of the D10.

Would you let me know what you'd do? I can get a combination (I4, D9, D10 if desired).

I rode the D10 and was impressed.

Also, is there any "must have" changes for you? I will go with SPD pedals for one.

I do not like the Kenda tires that come with it and would opt for a better and more flat resistant tire like a Schwalbe. Any suggestions here?

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 04-23-12 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-23-12, 07:48 PM
Dynocoaster 

Did you see the prices above? I had the I4 and didnt feel it was enough gears , I would go for the d9 or d10.
Old 04-23-12, 08:23 PM
Ridefreemc

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dynocoaster
Did you see the prices above? I had the I4 and didnt feel it was enough gears , I would go for the d9 or d10.
Those are good prices but they sat they are out of stock. That would be real good though.

I tend to agree on the I4 with not enough gears. I plotted all next to each other and big difference top to bottom and in between.

Do you have a preference for the D10 vs. the D9s? $250 extra for what looks to be one extra gear does not appear to be worth it on the D10 (I know it is 105 vs. Tiagra too). D10 is supposed to be stiffer, but my buddy at the shop says he couldn't tell the difference (he is an avid cyclist).

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 04-23-12 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-23-12, 08:36 PM
Dynocoaster 

I like the looks of the D10 better.
Old 04-23-12, 08:39 PM
Dynocoaster 

My understanding of the d10 frame is that it is stronger and lighter.
Old 04-23-12, 08:40 PM
Casbah

Bikes: Tern Link D8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, those are good sale prices. If only I had some extra money lying around to get a D9 from them...for my husband of course.
Old 04-23-12, 08:43 PM
Dynocoaster 

What kind of riding are you doing with your family?
Old 04-23-12, 09:01 PM
Ridefreemc

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What kind of riding are you doing with your family?
We primarily ride hybrids (two Marins, one Specialized, and one Jamis) and my Salsa Vaya now around town - up to 20 miles at a pop together (I'm out longer and farther), but we ride often too. I am planning a train-bike-train trip for me and the 13 year old - along the C&O, but likely the GAP trail between Washington DC and Pittsburg, PA and then some city riding at various stops on the 3500 mile trip.

The three kids are all about ready for an upsize in frames. They all rode the D10 tonight and approved!

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 04-23-12 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-23-12, 09:23 PM
Dynocoaster 

I just had the oppurtunity to ride and checkout the new Tern D8. I was very impressed with the latches and Schwable tires. It rode very nice and I found the 8 gears were enough for pottling. A lot of bike for $600. For longer rides I was impressed with the Tern P24h and this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Tern-Link-P24h. Just another option, although if you can afford it, Bromptons all around.
Old 04-25-12, 06:32 AM
jefmcg

Bikes: Mezzo D9, 2012 Giant Avail 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had the oppurtunity to ride and checkout the new Tern D8. I was very impressed with the latches and Schwable tires. It rode very nice and I found the 8 gears were enough for pottling. A lot of bike for $600. For longer rides I was impressed with the Tern P24h and this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Tern-Link-P24h. Just another option, although if you can afford it, Bromptons all around.
Seriously, wtf? Almost every thread in this forum is devoted to Tern, or Brompton (or Dahon - of course). Can you leave this thread for discussion of Mezzos? If someone is interested in other bikes, they ony have to click "Folding Bikes" above.
Old 04-25-12, 07:15 AM
Ridefreemc

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jefmcg
Seriously, wtf? Almost every thread in this forum is devoted to Tern, or Brompton (or Dahon - of course). Can you leave this thread for discussion of Mezzos? If someone is interested in other bikes, they ony have to click "Folding Bikes" above.
I took it as a suggestion while I was in the "decision" mode. Actually, I had considered both of those cited (as well as many others, but the TERN was my choice at the time) before I happened upon my LBS being able to get the Mezzos. I asked if they could get Tern, as they were a Dahon dealer and was told yes, but that I might want to check out the Mezzo. He had a D10 that I could test ride and the rest is history (well almost, it will be next week when they come in). Me and the family went down there after work and all 5 rode the D10.

I am the most picky and was impressed by the responsiveness (to my pedaling that is) and thought this would be a good buy. I came back to the shop after the test ride and was told that he could get me a $400 discount on the D10, and proportionately similiar on the D9 and I4s. Yesterday I told him I would buy 5 D9s. They will be in next week. My family all (except the misses - and me with the Salsa Vaya) said they'd give up their Marin, Jamis, and Specialized for a D9 (our garage is crowded since they each have a "beater" bike for back and forth to school and I have a small "collection" - 10 in there at present). Of course I am planning a train-bike-train trip this summer with the "middle" child (not sure if I posted that here) and the folder will be perfect for the GAP trail from Washington DC (actually I think Cumberland, Maryland) to Pittsburg, PA and other city stops on our way around the eastern US.

I went with the D9s because of the extra gearing/versatility for climbing. I like the IGH, but with the I4 being discontinued I thought I'd go with deraillers. I always had good luck with them, that is I have never had a derailler issue on any of my bikes in over 100,000 miles!

I go to him (the LBS) all the time and am up to 23 bikes either purchased directly by me, or by friends who I referred to him (probable about half me and and half from referrals). After next week it will be 28! I always get good service, great deals, and he has a lifetime tune-up deal going on (I don't use it, but the people I send down - not as mechanically oriented - do).

The other cool thing about the Mezzo is that the designer is the same guy who designed my Marin Mount Vision Pro - dual suspension MTB. I don't think I will ever part with that bike - it is an awesome ride. I got it for 1/2 off retail price from the LBS above many years ago (got one for my cousin as well)!

Now I have to referee the battle to which kid gets one of the two blue ones and which will get one of the three green ones (have black, but no on that for us).

Can any of you recommend a replacement tire for the Mezzo (a.k.a., Kenda Kwest)? I'd like to go a little wider for me and like Schwalbe. Is the Big Apple too wide for the stays on these? I would still like to go with a lite one, but need better flat protection.
Old 04-25-12, 07:23 AM
Casbah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does your LBS have a website? I'd like my (er, my husband's) next folder to be a Mezzo. I, er, my husband wants a D9 in blue or red.

Last edited by Casbah; 04-25-12 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-25-12, 09:25 AM
Ridefreemc

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Casbah
Does your LBS have a website? I'd like my (er, my husband's) next folder to be a Mezzo. I, er, my husband wants a D9 in blue or red.
He will have 4 I4s available and has one D10 right now for $999 - for your husband of course.... I bought all the D9s (sorry). Check your PMs.

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 04-25-12 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-25-12, 09:57 AM
Casbah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
He will have 4 I4s available and has one D10 right now for $999 - for your husband of course.... I bought all the D9s (sorry). Check your PMs.
I might forgive you for that provided you post lots of pics of them along with a full review when you get them.
Old 04-25-12, 10:42 AM
Ridefreemc

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I might forgive you for that provided you post lots of pics of them along with a full review when you get them.
We will be a sight that is for sure. The kids all ride well, safe, and fast. All 5 of us through a neighborhood or on the MUP is fun. I am safety conscious so we all have helmets, but each kid and the wifey have highly personalized their bikes - in contrast to the uniform nature of the helmets and our riding style.

The little one was concerned that she could not reinstall a basket to tote her 5 pound ****zu around with us. The middle one is very excited about the train-bike-train trip, but asked if she could hitch her trailer to tow her 60 pound Portugues Water Dog, and "tall" the oldest just likes the cool bike.

I will post pics. I am looking forward to riding more because of the new folder. It appears easier to just jump on and go. Also, we can toss them in the back of the van and go to St. Pete and have a day of sightseeing. Now, I load the four bike rack on the back with the four bikes and throw one inside for a tight fit with five people and a dog.

The misses actually wants to take the train to Orlando and ride, spend the night, and then ride home. I also think she really wants to do the trip with me and "middle."

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 04-26-12 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-25-12, 10:59 AM
Casbah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc

The little one was concerned that she could not reinstall a basket to tote her 5 pound ****zu around with us.
Ha, ha. Just this past weekend I strapped a milk crate with a pet bed inside it to the rear rack of my bike and took my Shih Tzu for a nice hour long bike ride.
Old 04-25-12, 11:26 AM
Ridefreemc

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ha, ha. Just this past weekend I strapped a milk crate with a pet bed inside it to the rear rack of my bike and took my Shih Tzu for a nice hour long bike ride.
"Little" may not like going from a Topeak rear rack and basket to the milk crate, but that is what I had in mind!
Old 04-25-12, 11:31 AM
Casbah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a link to my doggy setup.
I do plan on upgrading to a better setup eventually.
Old 05-03-12, 11:04 AM
matchpoints

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What made you choose the D9 over the D10 besides the obvious cost factor....? Or was that all.
Old 05-05-12, 06:03 PM
Ridefreemc

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Couple of reasons. One, I was getting five bikes and since I am the only mechanic at the house it makes it easier to keep all in shape if they are identical. I liked the looks of the D9 better. The price was $250 less ($750 vs. $1,000).

I think they both ride great, but identical. The D10 was a great deal at $1,000 as they are normally $1,400, but I still couldn't see spending more for an almost identical bike.

Were you trying to decide between these two?

I'm going to switch to Schwalbe Marathons on mine as I don't care for the Mezzo/Kendas. My rear has a hop to it and it produces a bounce. Also, the seat are not very comfortable. I already switched to SPDs.

The other four bikes will stay stock, except for the seats.

BTW- told a friend about thr D10 and he went down that day and bought it! That gets me to 29 bikes that I have bought from my LBS or caused to be bought!
Old 05-06-12, 08:25 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by matchpoints
What made you choose the D9 over the D10 besides the obvious cost factor....? Or was that all.
In addition to the monocoque ( spelling!)/hydroformed/ cast / lego construction of the d10............
The d10 also has a 56t front gog , rather than 54, and a rear V brake.

Always seems a lot for the small upgrades to me , epically as usually I upgrade my bikes anyway.

i would like a D10/ Ori frame, but i would sooner buy an additional good hybrid.
Maybe one day on ebay I will be temped.

An essiential upgrade IMO is to swap to teflon lined brake cables and better brake blocks. (koolstop salmon front, and green swiss stop rear).

Going further swopping the outers cables to Kelver with telfon linning inner has made my dual drive even slicker. I expect it will also improve the braking on the rear brake when I get around to installing the outers.
Old 05-06-12, 10:39 AM
snafu21

Bikes: None.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re; tyres. Or, tires. The Schwalbe Kojaks are very fast on my D9. They're at 100 psi. Lord knows what they are like in the rain, but on a piece of damp tarmac the other day, I had a 'moving' sideways moment. I regard this as a bonus. Grip is for wussies. :-)

I wish I was at the store when Ridefreemc walked in and said 'I'd like five of those please.'

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.