Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Quiet roads in US

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Quiet roads in US

Old 09-05-20, 02:21 PM
jakeSaadoun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quiet roads in US

Hi, I road cycle but live near philadelphia pennsylvania. Theres little to no quiet roads around my area, but I want to take a road trip to a state or multiple states and ride accross quiet rual countryside roads, does anyone have any reccomendations to where I ahould go to, I dont want to be biking on trails but rather roads that have little to no traffic. Thank you!
Old 09-05-20, 03:03 PM
gt3racerich

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts
Unless you just want to take a road trip, there are plenty of nice quiet roads north of Philly. I live 55 miles north of Philly and I always ride about a 50 mile circumference from there.
Old 09-05-20, 03:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Try the Natchez Trace Parkway. End to end it's about 444 miles. B&B's, hotels and camping off the Trace available near by. Some or all camp areas on the Trace itself may be closed for Covid so check with the Park Rangers.

https://www.scenictrace.com/why-you-...trace-parkway/

https://www.natcheztracetravel.com/b...the-trace.html

There are only a couple areas where you have to worry about heavy motor traffic. One of them being around me in the Jackson MS area. From just NE of Ridgeland to SW of Clinton during morning, noon and evening motorist going to and from work, it's quite busy. But a 11 mile long bike trail paralleling it will let you bypass some of the worst part. But if you time it to miss the rush hours, it's not bad then.

How far you wanting to go? I know you said you didn't want trails, but there are rails to trails routes that are fairly nice and scenic too. And they are just about long enough (40 and some odd miles) for a decent slow day of traveling. Two are in my state and I've seen some others elsewhere that look interesting.

Tanglefoot Trail

https://www.longleaftrace.org/

Being old railroads, they don't have any hills to even consider hills. Just a 1.5 to maybe 2 % steady grade.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-05-20, 05:19 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
I live in Chester County, which is likely not far from you. There are so many quiet roads here, it’s cycling heaven if you know where to ride. No need to look too far away unless you want to.
Likes For datlas:
Old 09-05-20, 06:11 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
On weekends/after hours I sometimes hit the office park to avoid traffic.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 09-05-20, 07:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Hunterdon & Warren Counties in NJ.
Old 09-05-20, 08:18 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
The Driftless Area.
Likes For Dirt Farmer:
Old 09-05-20, 08:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by jakeSaadoun
does anyone have any reccomendations to where I ahould go to, I dont want to be biking on trails but rather roads that have little to no traffic.
Gravel roads. They are all over. They are roads, they have little to no traffic, they are great.
Old 09-05-20, 09:32 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Another vote for the Natchez Trace. No commercial traffic, low speed limits, excellent pavement. On Saturday mornings you'll see more cyclists than you will cars. The northern terminus is about 10 miles from my house. There are plenty of opportunities to ride back country roads too. If you plan a trip down this way I can give you some good routes.
Old 09-06-20, 06:26 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Hi, I road cycle but live near philadelphia pennsylvania. Theres little to no quiet roads around my area, but I want to take a road trip to a state or multiple states and ride accross quiet rual countryside roads, does anyone have any reccomendations to where I ahould go to, I dont want to be biking on trails but rather roads that have little to no traffic. Thank you!
I have previously posted about my riding experience in Boston:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
my cycling as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian in Metro Boston ranges from dense urban, to suburban, to exurban, but no rural. I'm goal-oriented, be it miles or destinations, so I take the Road as it comes, to satisfy my Goal.

Over the years, I have described roads, so for this post I compiled my descriptions in order of cycling pleasure (paved roads only):
  • Enchanted
...There are certain roads I have discovered, unfortunately usually short, that I describe as “intimate,” or “enchanted”; so serene and peaceful, shady, lightly traveled, and without shoulders.
  • Exurban (no residences, no commercial buildings)
  • Residential: Urban (dense, multi-unit dwellings), Suburban (single unattached homes)
  • Light commercial (storefronts close to the sidewalk, street parking)
  • Heavy commercial (shopping malls, driveway accesses, parking lots)
  • Industrial: (dreary vistas, rough roads, debris-strewn)
    Furthermore, I have posted an informal cycling guide to Metro Boston with this method for finding the best roads:
    For some generalities, my favorite map is the AAA road map of metropolitan Boston [and other cities]. The size is large enough to plan century rides, yet the scale is small enough to find excellent cycling roads nicely defined by the road color and weight of the line.
    Old 09-06-20, 10:11 AM
    JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
    Quoted: 875 Post(s)
    Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
    Anywhere around the Twin Cities but out of the city. We have more gravel roads and paved quiet country roads than almost any place I’ve been. Western Wisconsin is also another good place. Back in the day, roads were paved and kept very smooth so dairy farmers bottles didn’t clink together and chip. So there is a lot of lightly traveled pavement that is very smooth. We’ve cycled in far Northern Wisconsin a lot and we’re always impressed with the smooth roads and virtually no traffic. Try Boulder Junction, Presque Isle, Manitorwish Waters area - many many roads with no cars.
    Old 09-06-20, 10:32 AM
    jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
    Quoted: 72 Post(s)
    Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
    Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    We’ve cycled in far Northern Wisconsin a lot and we’re always impressed with the smooth roads and virtually no traffic. Try Boulder Junction, Presque Isle, Manitorwish Waters area - many many roads with no cars.
    This is a beautiful area to ride! In addition to the quiet roads, this area also has quite an extensive system of paved trails that are primarily built for cyclists.
    Likes For jim_pridx:
    Old 09-06-20, 08:25 PM
    mstateglfr 
    Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
    Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
    Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
    Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Anywhere around the Twin Cities but out of the city. We have more gravel roads and paved quiet country roads than almost any place I’ve been. Western Wisconsin is also another good place. Back in the day, roads were paved and kept very smooth so dairy farmers bottles didn’t clink together and chip. So there is a lot of lightly traveled pavement that is very smooth. We’ve cycled in far Northern Wisconsin a lot and we’re always impressed with the smooth roads and virtually no traffic. Try Boulder Junction, Presque Isle, Manitorwish Waters area - many many roads with no cars.
    last year I rode 70mi in the driftless region of WI and was continually surprised at all paved roads. Identical roads just over the river in NW IA's drift less region are all gravel. It was an odd feeling to ride such remote and dead paved roads. Great fun, but odd.
    Likes For mstateglfr:
    Old 09-06-20, 11:02 PM
    wipekitty
    vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
    Quoted: 687 Post(s)
    Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
    Originally Posted by mstateglfr
    last year I rode 70mi in the driftless region of WI and was continually surprised at all paved roads. Identical roads just over the river in NW IA's drift less region are all gravel. It was an odd feeling to ride such remote and dead paved roads. Great fun, but odd.
    Yeah - I live around those parts at the moment. Good riding: small hills, usually 400'-600' with fast descents, paved roads, and pretty much nobody around.

Wisconsin has paved roads due to the dairy industry. The unpaved roads over in MN/IA are also fun, though.
    Old 09-07-20, 10:21 AM
    joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
    Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
    Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
    Originally Posted by datlas
    I live in Chester County, which is likely not far from you. There are so many quiet roads here, it’s cycling heaven if you know where to ride. No need to look too far away unless you want to.
    I’m not far from either of you and agree that it is quite easy to find quiet roads to ride, especially if you are willing to drive 20-30 minutes. Drive from Philly to West Chester. Start riding on 162 and just head west. You’ll quickly be surrounded by nothing at which point you can head any direction for more of the same. Be prepared to climb lots of short but steep hills.
    Old 09-07-20, 11:21 AM
    philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
    Quoted: 714 Post(s)
    Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
    Check out the East Coast Greenway. I know only a minuscule part of it, but it looks like it may be very ggod. They were planning an NYC-Phily ride for 2020, but something interfered with it. https://www.greenway.org/
    Old 09-07-20, 01:59 PM
    joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
    Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
    Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
    There are also signed bike routes that bisect PA: https://www.penndot.gov/TravelInPA/R...le-Routes.aspx
    Old 09-07-20, 05:16 PM
    njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
    Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
    Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
    Are you a member of a cycle club? That might be a way to learn about better routes.
    Old 09-07-20, 06:28 PM
    JohnDThompson 
    Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
    Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
    Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Originally Posted by mstateglfr
    You can thank the dairy lobby for that. Dairy farmers need to get their milk out while its fresh, all year 'round, regardless of weather or anything else. So almost all the secondary roads in Wisconsin are paved (far northern Wisconsin is a notable exception). Makes for nice, low traffic riding.
    Old 09-08-20, 02:06 PM
    redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
    Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
    Originally Posted by joejack951
    There are also signed bike routes that bisect PA: https://www.penndot.gov/TravelInPA/R...le-Routes.aspx
    Take this advice with a large grain of salt.. some of the marked PA Bicycle Routes are terrible. For example, I live right near route PA Route JS and there are sections of twisty road with limited sight distance, and no shoulder. I cringe, then say a little prayer for safety, when I see riders on fully loaded touring bikes riding JS.
    Likes For redcon1:
    Old 09-08-20, 02:44 PM
    topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
    Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
    Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
    OP, take a day trip up to Allentown. The roads west of town - past Trexlertown - are fantastic for riding.
    Likes For topflightpro:
    Old 09-08-20, 05:57 PM
    gt3racerich

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
    Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts
    Originally Posted by topflightpro
    OP, take a day trip up to Allentown. The roads west of town - past Trexlertown - are fantastic for riding.
    Could you be a little more specific? Perhaps some links to various routes? Thanks.
    Old 09-11-20, 05:53 AM
    Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
    Quoted: 863 Post(s)
    Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
    I have no idea about the area you live in, but , in Southern California the traffic and noise can be overwhelming. I live in the eastern part of Ventura county which is , for now, agriculture. Miles of citrus(smells great) and some avocados , flowers , and veggies. Then I have a few miles of city to get to the beach area. After cruising about 8 or 9 miles through the ag land the city riding is cool, especially old downtown. I think finding a ride that has a balance of both is optimum . I feel blessed to live where I have that.
    Old 09-11-20, 01:31 PM
    force10

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
    Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
    Originally Posted by topflightpro
    LWA does a ton of group rides in that area if you are interested in those. You can find them on meetup.
    Old 09-11-20, 02:59 PM
    Bob Ross
    your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
    Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
    Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
    You're already pretty close to some of the sweetest, quietest roads I've ever had the pleasure of cycling on...and you don't even have to cross state lines!
    Check out State College, PA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.