Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I just gotta gush

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I just gotta gush

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-21, 05:42 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Be honest... you didn't really hate saying it.
Yeah, busted. How about "I'm a tiny bit hesitant to point out that an increase in downhill coasting speed is likely due to weight gain."
Old 09-13-21, 05:54 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Gotta agree about downhill coasting being effectively unrelated to a change in bearing friction due to servicing.

Even removing bearing seals and replacing all grease with oil only appears to reduce bearing friction by between 0.03 and 0.06 watts per bearing. I seriously doubt that normal service (e.g., cleaning/regreasing/readjusting) would save any more than that - and probably far less if any if grease were used as is the norm.

https://www.hambini.com/ceramic-bear...ring-analysis/

That means you'd save a maximum of 0.36 watts (some wheelsets have 6 bearings) - and probably far less - by performing a routine service and adjustment of wheel bearings. I doubt that's going to make a noticeable difference in downhill coasting.

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-13-21 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Correct error in wording.
Old 09-13-21, 06:01 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
^ thread posting monitor strikes again.
A clean machine is a fast machine, that's what they say!
Old 09-13-21, 06:33 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I hate to say it, but an increase in downhill coasting speed is likely due to weight gain.
Or aero-ness.

I remember on this hilly triathlon, the difference between downhill coasting speed between me (on a road bike) and the guys on tri bikes with disc wheels who weigh the same and are of same height as me was 79.5km/hr versus 88.5 - 89.5 km/hr (must have been fun on aerobars).

​​​​​​But yeah, that feeling when everything is working just quietly and perfectly, that's pretty awesome.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 09-13-21 at 06:55 AM.
Likes For Branko D: