Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Best all around tire?

Old 09-07-21, 01:37 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Lady82
Would it be insane to try to use those WTBs on my husband's fitness bike with the rims that have an inner width of 15 mm?
No...but, at 15mm internal width, less than a decade ago, most tire companies advised against going any wider than 32mm. Depending on how low he runs the tire pressure, he could run into potential for significant sidewall deformation when turning, which would in turn lead to a some squirrely handling.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 09-07-21, 01:54 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Did a 100k gravel race yesterday on the 42mm Pathfinder Pros, they performed fantastically. Also noticed that most of the front pack I was with were riding Pathfinders, they were all on the 38s. We were pacelining on the pavement at 28-30mph, and no one had grip issues on the gravel, it was pretty loose and dry and we were hitting it hard.
I rode the Dirty Boar, 173km through the Ardennes in Belgium and the Eifel and Hurtgen Forest Germany, on Saturday on Pathfinder 700x38s. I think 42s would have definitely been more comfortable, but the 38s I was on performed quite well, with the only exception being the excessively muddy places. But, wet crossings (with rocky bottoms) and rocky and gravel trails were great, and on pavement the slick center section rolls fast and effortless, with a couple of asphalt descents that got above 60km/h. They're my all around general tire, and at $40 a piece, I find it hard to spend $90+ on Rene Hearse, or even a $20 more for some of the other options, to get no measurable (real world) gain. The Pathfinders seem to provide the grip to life balance everyone seeks- long wearing and super grippy. For the record, I only started using tread on gravel 2 years ago, for years I solely used slicks, in 32mm width.
Old 09-07-21, 12:52 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I love the Donnelly Strada USH in the 32 size. Great on hardpack, loose whether wet or dry, and fast. Great all around tire in my opinion. There are lots of great options in fast gravel tires.
Old 09-07-21, 01:15 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
It's an older tire and fell out of the spotlight but something like the Nano 40 is usable on both and decent on wet. Again, not great off road or on road but decent at both. A compromise on both ends.
I concur. The center tread ridge on the Nano 40s makes them feel pretty "fast" on pavement IMHO. I have them on my 700c bike and ride plenty of dirt and I'm impressed with how well they hook up (in my case, mostly dry, loose over hardpack, rocky--not too much mud here).
Old 09-07-21, 02:07 PM
Lady82

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
No...but, at 15mm internal width, less than a decade ago, most tire companies advised against going any wider than 32mm. Depending on how low he runs the tire pressure, he could run into potential for significant sidewall deformation when turning, which would in turn lead to a some squirrely handling.
thank you. I decided to just sell them. And already did. I was not sure if I would end up using them. Reading all of you, it seems like if I ever upgrade, it will be to Pathfinder Pros. For now, Pathfinder Sports are perfect for the job. My riding is 50/50 city/gravel and dirt paths.
Old 09-07-21, 02:35 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by Lady82
thank you. I decided to just sell them. And already did. I was not sure if I would end up using them. Reading all of you, it seems like if I ever upgrade, it will be to Pathfinder Pros. For now, Pathfinder Sports are perfect for the job. My riding is 50/50 city/gravel and dirt paths.
The Sport is a fine tire, same tread pattern as the Pro. The difference is that it isn’t tubeless ready and is 60 tip rather than 120. I also misquoted the price for the Pro, it’s $50. Still a bargain for a tire that works so well on virtually anything that isn’t mud.
Old 09-08-21, 04:47 PM
Kanon25

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by adamrobertt
I have a Jamis Renegade Expert with 38c Panaracer Gravel King SK tires on it. I ride both on the road and on trails... maybe 70% road 30% trails. The tires are great on dirt/muddy trails, but sluggish on the road.

If you are mainly on the road and want to be fest there, I’d go with the Pathfinder Pro2Blis for example or the Conti Terra Speed. And just accept not rivalling an MTB off-road.

I’m looking for something that rolls faster on the road but can also handle some mud, dirt, and gravel. Should I be using a slick tire? A thinner tire? I’m interested in the Gravel King slicks, or some of the slick Rene Herse options, but I’m not sure what my best option is.

Anyone have any input? Thanks.
You cannot optimise for smooth tarmac and mud and dry loose gravel. You need to decide what’s most important and them what’s secondary. That will then allow you to choose a compromise tire. None do it all.

Originally Posted by Rolla
A sluggish tire on the road won't make you wipe out like a slick tire on a loose surface will. I'm running Gravel King SKs on my cross, commuter, and gravel bikes, pavement efficiency be damned. Might have to try the SS model on the commuter...
Well yes and no, Knobbly tires on smooth wet asphalt are not just sluggish - can get you wiped out while cornering at speed.

Last edited by Kanon25; 09-08-21 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-08-21, 11:38 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Kanon25
Well yes and no, Knobbly tires on smooth wet asphalt are not just sluggish - can get you wiped out while cornering at speed.
Sure, but to be fair, any tire cornering at speed on wet asphalt can get you wiped out.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-09-21, 05:34 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I ride roughly the same ratio of gravel/pavement as you, and really like the Rene Herse Barlow Pass. This is on the one bike that I do all of my paved and unpaved road riding on. Yes, it does struggle in mud, but in the grand scheme of things, that is a tiny fraction of the miles I put in, and I just go slower there, or just go around it. I guess it comes down to how much of the time you are actually needing to ride in mud.

I have considered one of the RH knobbies for a more gravel/light trail use.
Old 09-09-21, 07:32 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I've read good things about and have on order the 650b x 45 Challenge Gravel Grinder. I'll report back after some use.
Old 09-14-21, 02:05 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
The Pathfinder looks pretty similar to the clement ush/mso hybrid. Anyone compare the directly? I've had good experience with msos and even raced dry cross courses on them
Old 09-15-21, 09:17 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I’ve been riding 38mm Graveling SS (non-plus) for a few weeks including backcountry & gravel touring. They’re quick on pavement and were fine even on stuff like this and a dozen rocky water crossings. On 25mm interior rims they measure 41mm. I was concerned about durability on the rocks but they were fine. I’ve used several tires mentioned above and these are my new favorites.

Likes For veloz: