Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Britain's BIGGEST bike lane :D

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-18-21, 09:48 AM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Britain's BIGGEST bike lane: 'Shambolic' 11ft 2in-wide cycle path is larger than 9ft 5in road lane it runs next to - and forces drivers to pull over to avoid a CRASH

One of the widest cycle lanes in Britain - which is even larger than the lanes on the road it runs alongside - was today condemned as 'shambles' by local residents, with drivers having to pull over to avoid crashing.The cycle path, which is 11ft 2in across, was created in Wimborne, Dorset, by drastically narrowing the width of a busy B-road alongside it - leaving buses, lorries, buses and emergency vehicles with only 9ft 5in wide lanes.

Old 08-18-21, 10:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
So what's your point? Trolling? I'll bite.

Is the bike lane a one way? If not, then it's not wider than the lane for cars. It just lacks a painted centerline.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-18-21, 11:42 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
I read some stories on this after seeing this thread and I see that this has caused a lot of anger in that community and part of it is understood, especially when cyclists still use the road and cause drivers to slow down or move over. Apparently some cars have been hit by the large mirrors of some trucks (lorries).

I'm not sure of the OP's intent, but I found that interesting.

Old 08-18-21, 11:44 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3743 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
BTW, I also noticed it's not physically larger, but in comparison to bike size vs vehicle size, it is larger, relatively speaking, especially since the roadway is two way, so one lane is only 9'5". I was assuming it's a two-way bike lane.
Old 08-18-21, 12:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
So the design flaw seems obvious--the motor vehicle lanes are narrower than British standards, and from the standpoint of the cyclist, probably make the bike lane less safe because of the likelihood of a car or truck swerving into the bike lane to avoid a head-on with oncoming motor vehicle traffic.

There appears to be a rather wide walk lane/sidewalk on the left side of the picture. Some tinkering with the dimensions of all of the lanes should solve most if not all of the problem.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-19-21, 11:29 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
My only comment is those cement things on the left, in the white stripe, should be a contrasting color... so cyclists are keenly aware they exist.
Likes For genec:
Old 08-19-21, 03:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
They probably need to put up physical barriers. And putting a line down the middle would make it more clear that it's two-way.

Equality makes people mad if they previously were on top
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-20-21, 04:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by unterhausen
They probably need to put up physical barriers. And putting a line down the middle would make it more clear that it's two-way.

It's simplistic to blame this on a psychological reaction to equality. Those mv lanes are simply too narrow for a truck route and that's endangering everyone.. The article also mentions obstructions in the bike lane. Don't know what's meant by that, but it sounds like this whole thing is a botch that cyclists and drivers dislike.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-20-21, 09:55 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I would take the lane anyway.
Old 08-20-21, 11:35 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's simplistic to blame this on a psychological reaction to equality. Those mv lanes are simply too narrow for a truck route and that's endangering everyone.. The article also mentions obstructions in the bike lane. Don't know what's meant by that, but it sounds like this whole thing is a botch that cyclists and drivers dislike.
The mV lanes look the same size as other roads in the area. They’re used to driving on narrower lanes.
Old 08-21-21, 12:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by gregf83
The mV lanes look the same size as other roads in the area. They’re used to driving on narrower lanes.
That's not what the article indicates. They're about two feet narrower than normal.
Old 08-21-21, 05:42 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That's not what the article indicates. They're about two feet narrower than normal.
I just looked on google streetview for that town and it seems they have a lot of roads narrower than what I’m used to.

Old 08-29-21, 04:32 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
If it makes cars mad @ us (cyclists) maybe its not a good thing
Old 08-31-21, 09:50 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
if paved bicycle routes had a means for routing to destinations that end up to places that motored vehicles also go to, the logic of being mad at cyclists for using the road over the paved path would make sense. 99% of the "paved" bicycle routes I've used locally are typically short, unkept, poorly marked, contain obstacles in the way (bollards, signs, cones, utility vehicles parked, tires from cars) all to which encourages the use of the roads.
Old 09-01-21, 10:04 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen

No one appears to be complaining about dedicated bicycle lanes. Nor do they appear to be complaining about wide bicycle lanes.

This particular lane (which appears to be very unusual) is much wider than it needs to be.

Your interpretation of "equality" isn't the only interpretation possible. For this odd instance, it doesn't seem to be the best interpretation either.

How many bicycles are 6 feet wide?
Old 09-01-21, 10:09 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts

Being "used to driving on narrow lanes" isn't a good reason to have these lanes be so narrow.

Cyclists are used to riding in much more narrower lanes.

There doesn't seem to be any good reason to have the bicycle lane be as absurdly wide as it is here.

I just looked on google streetview for that town and it seems they have a lot of roads narrower than what I’m used to.
So what? There really isn't any way to make the lanes here wider (there's no reason for the narrow lanes in the original picture).

Narrow lanes often have lower speed limits too.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-01-21 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-17-21, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
They’re used to driving on narrower lanes.
We certainly are. (I live over here, though not in Dorset, else I'd go have a look at that sucker.) You should see the country lanes I regularly cycle on – everybody takes a big breath in when passing and hopes for the best.
Old 09-18-21, 05:16 AM
Flyash

Bikes: Peugeot (exact details tbc) which I am restoring.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no shortage of cycle highways now in Australia. Slowly becoming the norm.
Old 09-21-21, 08:15 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Unfortunately this is another clickbait item which was carried by several news outlets amongst the UK's gutter press. The articles were used - yet again - to whip up anti cycling feeling.

The local council have issued a statement clarifying and refuting the claims made in the articles: -

https://news.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/20...rne-road-west/
Likes For ExPatTyke:
Old 09-21-21, 02:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ExPatTyke
Unfortunately this is another clickbait item which was carried by several news outlets amongst the UK's gutter press. The articles were used - yet again - to whip up anti cycling feeling.

The local council have issued a statement clarifying and refuting the claims made in the articles: -

https://news.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/20...rne-road-west/

Good catch! The OP article really is a bit of a hit piece. I'm kicking myself a bit as I didn't spot the obvious zoom lens perspective loss trick used in the photos to make the cars appear crammed in the lane. There's actually quite a bit of distance between them and the edge of the road.

Biggest trick is to make it look like the bike lane is one-way. That's actually a very normal width for a two-way bike lane, which that is.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-21-21, 02:46 PM
rich110

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPatTyke

The press don't really care about truth, they care about clicks.

If you look on streetview most of the new width for the cycle lane was found by removing the bit of grass that separated the pavement from the road.
Likes For rich110: