Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Box O' Crap, Series Eight

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Box O' Crap, Series Eight

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-21, 11:36 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
Modest take—

Not too much...took back one of the underside guides I now need— one stem and the clips I took because I could not fit them back in after stuffing it full again.

Ready to send!

Last edited by jdawginsc; 09-11-21 at 12:36 PM.
Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 09-20-21, 12:28 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 79 Posts
The Box in Sunny San Diego!

Jusy arrived!

Old 09-20-21, 07:00 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Thank you all.

My take:

It’s like you all know me, I took a lot of stuff but put back as much as I could fit in the box and then added a whole lot of small parts in the voids between them. There is plenty of goodies to be had including many high end, exotic, and rare, all of it useful to someone.

The box is ready to ship to the next player and weighs in at 34.6 LBS. Bellow is a picture of parts I set aside to include but could not fit into the box to give an idea of what did make the cut.

Likes For Nwvlvtnr:
Old 09-21-21, 04:50 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
It is time once again to ask for volunteers to step up and join in the Box O' Crap fun. The box needs to keep going and it is time for new folks to play. Join us all for the "box" to keep moving along. Smiles, MH
Old 09-27-21, 04:07 PM
Mad Honk 

Well Folks,
It appears the Box O' Crap has finally stalled in series eight. We have had no volunteers for a few weeks and Our fearless Crapmaster has not been sighted for a while. I am thinking about putting the "Box" in frozen storage here until a new CrapMaster can be found. The valued friends here in the world of Crap have stepped up as best they could and kept the box moving for quite some time now. But I am afraid we need a new CrapMaster at this point in time to keep the fun moving. I would respectfully request that the "Box" be sent to me until a new CrapMaster can be found. Let us all hope to see white smoke from the stacks soon. Smiles, MH

Bump for volunteers to play or new CrapMaster to step forward.

Last edited by Mad Honk; 09-28-21 at 08:58 AM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 10-03-21, 03:45 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Pictures of crap parts living on…

Who ever packed the Maillard front hub thank you, I built it into a wheel using Araya rims from an old hybrid and it complements my Sachs/ Huret Eco drive train pretty well. The hub was respaced to 96 mm and lost the retainer tabs.

Last edited by Nwvlvtnr; 10-03-21 at 03:48 PM.
Likes For Nwvlvtnr:
Old 10-03-21, 06:16 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Nwvlvtnr
Who ever packed the Maillard front hub thank you, I built it into a wheel using Araya rims from an old hybrid and it complements my Sachs/ Huret Eco drive train pretty well. The hub was respaced to 96 mm and lost the retainer tabs.
I contributed a front hub with some retainer tabs, though I don't remember if it was a Maillard. If it was, it was probably from either 1981 or 1979 or thereabouts. And I'm pretty sure the one I gave was dirtier than what you're showing. If that Maillard is from that era and you did put some elbow grease into the shine...it's probably mine and I'm super happy to see it built into a wheel and rolling down the road again!
Old 10-03-21, 08:28 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I contributed a front hub with some retainer tabs, though I don't remember if it was a Maillard. If it was, it was probably from either 1981 or 1979 or thereabouts. And I'm pretty sure the one I gave was dirtier than what you're showing. If that Maillard is from that era and you did put some elbow grease into the shine...it's probably mine and I'm super happy to see it built into a wheel and rolling down the road again!
That had to be the one as there wasn’t much time between your custody of the box and mine it was also the only front hub in there. It can be seen in the photo of my parts take above the 1” threadless stem. Yes I shined it up a little, perhaps too much for a gas pipe Dangre Starnord.
Old 10-08-21, 06:20 PM
Mad Honk 

Posting once again to ask for players to step up before the Box O' Crap goes into cold storage. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 10-12-21 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-12-21, 08:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Posting once again to ask for players to step up before the Box O' Crap goes into clod storage. Smiles, MH
You need a whole shed to store your clods?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-23-21, 08:00 AM
crandress 

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1953 Terrot

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Nobody wants to step up to be the new Crapmaster? Its fun, its excitement, you make crappy friends, and you get to be the all mighty! Who would not want that?

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 12-28-21, 06:41 PM
Mad Honk 

Well Chris, and all Crap players,
I am again going to try to get the BOC going forward again. I am asking for it to come to me, and it shall move forward as people sign on to have it dropped off at their door. Sign up to be the next to receive the
Box O' Crap so we can move it forward. Smiles, MH
Old 01-20-22, 02:49 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
With the game seemingly dying out, perhaps some motivation would help. The game goes well when we have a non-burned out Crapmaster pimping the thread and keeping it on Page 1.

Perhaps it's time for me to share the letter I left in the Oval Office desk drawer for my successor several years ago.

Office of the Crapmaster
TARDIS, Universe

It is with great relief that I bequeath unto you the official title of Crapmaster, BFCV. As per tradition, I include this personal note to help guide you on your journey.

Just as the only reason the Wizard of Oz had absolutely pure and full authority to lay down the law was because the Munchkins believed he was Great and Powerful, C&Ver’s must believe that you are so. It is acceptable to ask for help in making rulings when things go sideways, but a quick, firm, and unequivocal statement helps keep things in line, even if you’re unsure yourself. It is also wise to have your minions do the dirty work for you, such as calling out those that don’t publish pictures, or bogart the box.

Bottom line, you own the game. It doesn’t matter what past Crapmasters have done, you have the power to change things. I know you’ll keep what’s working. Be you. Continue from the past if you feel comfortable. If anything rubs the wrong way, feel free to change it.

You cannot make grammatical or spelling errors, those that say you did are wrong. If you inadvertently put in a past date for something that is yet to happen and get called out for it, remind those that call you out that the Great and Powerful Crapmaster has an efficient TARDIS at your disposal, even if in reality it’s a 1984 Ford Taurus with 200,000 miles on it. It’s not important that the Taurus didn’t exist before 1986, you are the Great and Powerful...you get my drift.

Go forth and lead your minions in spreading their crap and cat toys throughout the contiguous United States of America. As I stated in my very first post when Drillium Dude was herding the cats, “This sounds like a very stupid game. Sign me up.” When in doubt, fake it until you make it.
Hoping some power hungry BF C&Ver will see this and decide that they're ready to step up and lead us to the promised land of crap.
Old 01-20-22, 03:15 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2434 Post(s)
Liked 3,108 Times in 1,957 Posts
Very inspiring. I will need to be retired to take on such a momentous and somber post of power. I also need to divest myself of my humility...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 01-20-22, 04:21 PM
Reco Very
bikenut

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
Well Chris, and all Crap players,
I am again going to try to get the BOC going forward again. I am asking for it to come to me, and it shall move forward as people sign on to have it dropped off at their door. Sign up to be the next to receive the
Box O' Crap so we can move it forward. Smiles, MH
Looks like it might be time for series eight to be put to rest.
Mad Honk is already leading so... Start series nine with new thread with Mad Honk at the helm. First post list of crapsters is an important part of the game. Just my humble crappy opinion.
Old 01-20-22, 06:06 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by Reco Very
Looks like it might be time for series eight to be put to rest...Mad Honk is already leading so...start series nine with new thread with Mad Honk at the helm.
Or give it a proper send-off. Some things aren't meant to be forever...

DD
Old 01-20-22, 07:21 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Time to bury the BOC time-capsule style. Anyone pouring a new foundation?
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-20-22, 09:22 PM
Mad Honk 

Originally Posted by gugie
With the game seemingly dying out, perhaps some motivation would help. The game goes well when we have a non-burned out Crapmaster pimping the thread and keeping it on Page 1.

Perhaps it's time for me to share the letter I left in the Oval Office desk drawer for my successor several years ago.

Office of the Crapmaster
TARDIS, Universe

It is with great relief that I bequeath unto you the official title of Crapmaster, BFCV. As per tradition, I include this personal note to help guide you on your journey.

Just as the only reason the Wizard of Oz had absolutely pure and full authority to lay down the law was because the Munchkins believed he was Great and Powerful, C&Ver’s must believe that you are so. It is acceptable to ask for help in making rulings when things go sideways, but a quick, firm, and unequivocal statement helps keep things in line, even if you’re unsure yourself. It is also wise to have your minions do the dirty work for you, such as calling out those that don’t publish pictures, or bogart the box.

Bottom line, you own the game. It doesn’t matter what past Crapmasters have done, you have the power to change things. I know you’ll keep what’s working. Be you. Continue from the past if you feel comfortable. If anything rubs the wrong way, feel free to change it.

You cannot make grammatical or spelling errors, those that say you did are wrong. If you inadvertently put in a past date for something that is yet to happen and get called out for it, remind those that call you out that the Great and Powerful Crapmaster has an efficient TARDIS at your disposal, even if in reality it’s a 1984 Ford Taurus with 200,000 miles on it. It’s not important that the Taurus didn’t exist before 1986, you are the Great and Powerful...you get my drift.

Go forth and lead your minions in spreading their crap and cat toys throughout the contiguous United States of America. As I stated in my very first post when Drillium Dude was herding the cats, “This sounds like a very stupid game. Sign me up.” When in doubt, fake it until you make it.
Hoping some power hungry BF C&Ver will see this and decide that they're ready to step up and lead us to the promised land of crap.

Gugie,
As much as it pains me to yet take on another duty after retiring from multiple years in a University setting, and finding myself quite comfortable being such. I will at your urging attempt to be a new Crap Master. I have very low skills at using my confuser but I will do my best to herd the cats that the Box O' Crap attract. I would ask that you contact me by phone to ascertain what I will need to do to be a Crap Master. If I can do it, I will do my best to keep the BOC moving. Thanks, MH 812-336-3283
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 01-20-22, 09:26 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Gugie,
As much as it pains me to yet take on another duty after retiring from multiple years in a University setting, and finding myself quite comfortable being such. I will at your urging attempt to be a new Crap Master. I have very low skills at using my confuser but I will do my best to herd the cats that the Box O' Crap attract. I would ask that you contact me by phone to ascertain what I will need to do to be a Crap Master. If I can do it, I will do my best to keep the BOC moving. Thanks, MH 812-336-3283
Will call tomorrow...
Old 01-20-22, 09:42 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 977 Posts
All hail the benevolent Crap Master!

Likes For ascherer:
Old 01-24-22, 07:11 PM
Mad Honk 

Originally Posted by gugie
Will call tomorrow...
Thanks for the call! Smiles, MH
Old 02-14-22, 05:29 PM
Mad Honk 

Originally Posted by Reco Very
Looks like it might be time for series eight to be put to rest.
Mad Honk is already leading so... Start series nine with new thread with Mad Honk at the helm. First post list of crapsters is an important part of the game. Just my humble crappy opinion.
As per the request of Reco Very and other Crapmasters emeriti I have started Box O' Crap series nine and Box O' Crap series eight will now be retired. All who wish to play join in at BOC series nine to register. Smiles, MH
Old 02-18-22, 09:15 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ries-nine.html
Old 02-21-22, 02:14 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Gran Compe levers.

Late to the game here but I wanted to say thank you to whomever contributed the Gran Compe Levers. I really like them paired with Dia Compe 750s and they look great.

The incorrectly installed second hand bar tape is a stop gap, once I’m sure I like the setup the plan is shellacked cloth tape and lever hoods. Looking forward to BOC Series Nine.

Likes For Nwvlvtnr: